Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

PreCheck Gone After Trusted Traveler Citizenship Update

Old Jan 21, 18, 2:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: CO Platinum 1K, United 1K, SPG LT Platinum, National Executive Elite, Platinum TSA Hater

Maybe there is an easy way to fix this, but I am at a loss to figure out what the right step is:

1. spouse was citizen of Taiwan, had US green card with Nexus, Global Entry (under Nexus account), and using their Nexus KTN, pre-check
2. spouse became a naturalized US citizen, stopped by the YVR Nexus office to update their info and it appears the desk attendant there messed up and didn't do anything
3. upon arrival back in the USA, stopped by the GE enrollment office at LAX Bradley terminal, the inspector there did some sort of update to fix Global Entry

so now we assume Nexus may or may not be updated, but GE is fixed, and pre-check is not working. Is there another step we need to take with their online GOES account or some other system to resync or do something else to get pre-check working again?
Old Jan 21, 18, 3:15 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
GOES no longer exists.

Given that somebody has already loused this up, I would stop by the closes GE office and have this fixed in person.
Old Jan 21, 18, 9:30 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT
Please clarify if spouse had applied for both GE and NEXUS or applied for NEXUS only.

Has spouse traveled multiple times to confirm Pre is not working or did spouse not get it one time?
Old Jan 21, 18, 10:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: CO Platinum 1K, United 1K, SPG LT Platinum, National Executive Elite, Platinum TSA Hater
Originally Posted by seawolf View Post
Please clarify if spouse had applied for both GE and NEXUS or applied for NEXUS only.

Has spouse traveled multiple times to confirm Pre is not working or did spouse not get it one time?
They have had NEXUS for years with the old green card, and with it, Global Entry and was traveling for multiple years with precheck working. It only stopped working recently after they became a citizen and the YVR Nexus office seemed to have not done the correct updates.
Old Jan 21, 18, 10:22 pm
Original Member

Sorry but I'm not quite following what prompted step 3 in your original post.

IMO because spouse is enrolled in NEXUS and NOT GE, updates should be done by CBP personnel familiar with NEXUS profiles at NEXUS enrollment centers instead of LAX where they don't handled NEXUS enrollments at all.
Old Jan 21, 18, 11:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

The update was requested at YVR - unfortunately the front desk attendant insisted, even after being asked twice, that we did not need to speak with a US or Canadian inspector to update anything, they wrote down the information and said it would be taken care of. Fast forward one week, returning from Japan, Global Entry didn't work from the new US passport - surprise - the useless idiot at YVR didn't do anything. The US inspector cleared them through GE manually, then said to go upstairs to the enrollment center to clean everything up. We did, and the enrollment center inspector said everything was all set.....and now Pre no longer works.

I logged back into the TTP system and found Nexus is expiring, so I started the renewal process and all of the information pre-populated was a total mess - so it seems no one updated anything, so I put everything correctly in the application and hopefully it will be approved as-is without an interview and the Nexus/GE info will all be updated.
Old Jan 22, 18, 6:25 am
Original Member

Now I understand better. I was under mistaken impression that spouse requested update in YVR and then immediately flew to LAX.

Prior to NEXUS renewal application, did TTP reflect old document? It has been reported updates made at NEXUS enrollment center reflects in TTP. If it is indeed not updated, then chances are an interview might be needed as change in citizenship is more significant of a change than updating an expired passport.

Hope you get it sorted out.
Old Jan 23, 18, 7:28 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott LTP, Hertz President's Club
Originally Posted by seawolf View Post
Now I understand better. I was under mistaken impression that spouse requested update in YVR and then immediately flew to LAX.

Prior to NEXUS renewal application, did TTP reflect old document? It has been reported updates made at NEXUS enrollment center reflects in TTP. If it is indeed not updated, then chances are an interview might be needed as change in citizenship is more significant of a change than updating an expired passport.

Hope you get it sorted out.
I can confirm this (and did so previously). I signed up for GE in 2013, and signed up for NEXUS in April 2016. I didn't get proof of Canadian Citizenship until early September 2017 (a citizenship certificate) and therefore wasn't considered a Canadian Citizen by either US CBP or CBSA under NEXUS, and I didn't get a passport until late September 2017.

After getting each of them I went to the NEXUS office at YYZ Terminal 1 and added them each individually on two separate trips (I had the certificate and applied for the passport on one trip, and had the passport in hand for the second). The CBP officer took my document and punched it in their computer, and handed it to the CBSA officer who did the same.

After each trip, the document was added to the TTP site and was visible after login under the "membership information" link on the right hand side (image thumbnail is clickable for full size):

You may want to check that all documents added for citizenship reflect on the trusted traveler sites and that names would appear normally. I would note specifically for passports it's normal to have the given name list as First Middle (example: DOE/JOHN JOE with John being the first name and Joe as the middle name shows as "Given Name: John Joe" on the TTP site for any passport entry, Canadian or American).
Old Jan 23, 18, 3:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by phltraveler View Post
I can confirm this (and did so previously). I signed up for GE in 2013, and signed up for NEXUS in April 2016. I didn't get proof of Canadian Citizenship until early September 2017 (a citizenship certificate) and therefore wasn't considered a Canadian Citizen by either US CBP or CBSA under NEXUS, and I didn't get a passport until late September 2017.

After getting each of them I went to the NEXUS office at YYZ Terminal 1 and added them each individually on two separate trips (I had the certificate and applied for the passport on one trip, and had the passport in hand for the second). The CBP officer took my document and punched it in their computer, and handed it to the CBSA officer who did the same.

After each trip, the document was added to the TTP site and was visible after login under the "membership information" link on the right hand side (image thumbnail is clickable for full size):....
Thank you - looks like a few errors there. Citizenship is showing as Taiwan, but the US passport is shown as a document to enter the USA. The drivers license is missing completely. Of course I don't know what was in there before when precheck was actually working.
Old Jan 25, 18, 10:50 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott LTP, Hertz President's Club
Originally Posted by bocastephen View Post
Thank you - looks like a few errors there. Citizenship is showing as Taiwan, but the US passport is shown as a document to enter the USA. The drivers license is missing completely. Of course I don't know what was in there before when precheck was actually working.
You'll need to contact CBP on how to address it - it may require a visit in-person to correct the drivers license. That is probably not the underlying issue, as there is not a linkage at most airports between the travel document you present and your boarding pass (other than the travel document checker scanning your boarding pass and visually checking your license).

Regarding the passport, it is US law that US citizens must enter the United States (by air) via a US passport, regardless of any other citizenships they may have. If you have a US issued travel document, that should be the expected travel document to enter the USA, and that is the document you should choose when booking/checking in for flights that ultimately arrive in the US. But both the US Citizenship and any other citizenships should be reflected on the TTP site.

Per the TTP site -> Update Documents link, if it allows you to correct the info online, you can do it yourself. If you can't, you need to go to an enrollment center.
Old Jan 25, 18, 11:03 am
Original Member

I highly suggest you go to NEXUS enrollment centre instead of a GE enrollment center.
Old Mar 6, 18, 3:49 pm

Requested a new Global Entry card and now PreCheck is not working

Not sure if anyone has run into this issue before. I got Global Entry in late 2014, at the time I was a Green Card holder and have been using GE and PreCheck with no problem since then. I became a US Citizen about a year ago and provided CBP with my new passport details, PreCheck was still working as of late last year.

I requested a new GE Card in January to match my new name (I dropped my middle name when I became a citizen) and US Passport details. I received and activated the new card, but now PreCheck is no longer being applied to boarding passes on domestic flights. The KTN/PassID did not change and I've entered it manually when booking flights with no luck. CBP confirmed my name, DOB and number and everything seems to be right. But for some reason PreCheck is just not appearing anymore.

TSA says that they have no access to my GE information and refers me to CBP who says everything is right and sends me back to the TSA. So far it's been a frustrating back and forth and no one has been able to help me find a solution for this.

Has anyone run into this issue before? I'm regretting even requesting a new GE card in the first place since it seems like you don't even need it when traveling back to the US with a US Passport.
Old Mar 6, 18, 4:47 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles

Programs: AAdvantage | MileagePlus
Moderator's Action

I've merged your question into a thread dealing with a similar situation of a Trusted Traveler who stopped receiving PreCheck after becoming a US citizen.

TWA884
Travel Safety/Security co-moderator

Last edited by TWA884; Mar 6, 18 at 6:23 pm Reason: Update after thread were consolidated
Old Mar 6, 18, 5:24 pm

Originally Posted by bocastephen View Post
Hi bocastephen -- any update on getting the correct information into your spouse's NEXUS profile and how you did it -- and whether your spouse now has PreCheck benefits working again?

Originally Posted by srg078 View Post
Not sure if anyone has run into this issue before. I got Global Entry in late 2014, at the time I was a Green Card holder and have been using GE and PreCheck with no problem since then. I became a US Citizen about a year ago and provided CBP with my new passport details, PreCheck was still working as of late last year.

I requested a new GE Card in January to match my new name (I dropped my middle name when I became a citizen) and US Passport details. I received and activated the new card, but now PreCheck is no longer being applied to boarding passes on domestic flights. The KTN/PassID did not change and I've entered it manually when booking flights with no luck. CBP confirmed my name, DOB and number and everything seems to be right. But for some reason PreCheck is just not appearing anymore.

TSA says that they have no access to my GE information and refers me to CBP who says everything is right and sends me back to the TSA. So far it's been a frustrating back and forth and no one has been able to help me find a solution for this.

Has anyone run into this issue before? I'm regretting even requesting a new GE card in the first place since it seems like you don't even need it when traveling back to the US with a US Passport.

So were you still receiving PreCheck benefits after you provided CBP with your new name (i.e., the deletion of your middle name) and the change of citizenship / new passport (until you requested the replacement card)?

And have you tried entering your former middle name on an airline ticket purchase to see if that fixes the problem?

Last edited by TWA884; Sep 1, 19 at 8:04 pm Reason: Merge consecutive posts by the same member; please use the multi-quote function. Thank you.
Old Mar 6, 18, 5:35 pm

Originally Posted by Newbie2FT View Post
So were you still receiving PreCheck benefits after you provided CBP with your new name (i.e., the deletion of your middle name) and the change of citizenship / new passport (until you requested the replacement card)?
Ironically, I never entered my middle initial when I was a Green Card holder and PreCheck would always work. But yeah, it worked after I became a US Citizen and gave them the new passport information, but not after I requested the replacement card.

Originally Posted by Newbie2FT View Post
And have you tried entering your former middle name on an airline ticket purchase to see if that fixes the problem?
Yup - I've tried the initial and full middle name with no luck.

Search this Thread