FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Global Entry / NEXUS Citizenship Update Procedure
Old Mar 9, 2018, 11:41 pm
Newbie2FT

Originally Posted by forgotmyUA
I'll become a Canadian citizen next week. I've a trip to the US a couple of weeks after that, so I will need to apply for my new Canadian passport urgently after my oath ceremony.

I know that I then have to visit a Nexus enrollment center to let them know of my new citizenship status, after I receive my Canadian passport. What is this Nexus update process like? Is it just a matter of the officers updating my information on the backend, and they'll give my Nexus card back to me? Or would it take a few weeks to review? And would I instead get a new Nexus card in the mail? Do I need to make an appointment in advance?
Those are excellent questions. Based on previous postings, I would assume the answers are:

1. It should be quick and easy process, although you have to be cautious, as you'll see below

2. Yes, it is a matter of updating information on the back end, but there is a chance your card will be confiscated, as it would no longer correctly list your citizenship. Even if your card is not confiscated, it may no longer be usable at a kiosk (see below)

3. It's highly doubtful it would take weeks to review

4. If your card is confiscated, you should receive a new one in the mail. If it's not confiscated, it's unclear whether you would receive a new one in the mail.

Hopefully you'll find out more definitive answers from personal experience soon and report back here afterward with some good data points

Be sure to take heed of the experiences in this thread and another similar thread that set out some cautionary warnings for you based on people who changed from US permanent residents to US citizens, and needed to update their NEXUS membership:

1)

PreCheck Gone After Trusted Traveler Citizenship Update

The spouse of @bocastephen was a US green card holder (lawful permanent resident) who had NEXUS membership. When the spouse became a US citizen, they went to the NEXUS office at YVR.

But when they went to the office, the front desk clerk said that there was no need to talk to a CBSA and CBP officer, and that the clerk would take care of the changes.

In the process, the clerk apparently made errors and did not change the spouse's listed citizenship (Taiwan), and possibly did not remove the spouse's now-invalid US green card from the system, so the spouse's new US passport was rejected on the next use by the Global Entry kiosk.

2)

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/27875624-post2.html

@chanuk was a Canadian citizen and a US green card holder who had NEXUS membership. When he became a US citizen, he went to the NEXUS office at YVR.

But when he went to the office, the front desk clerk said that there was no need to talk to a CBSA and CBP officer, and that the clerk would take care of the changes. (Starting to sound familiar?...)

In the process, the clerk apparently made errors and did not remove chanuck's now-invalid US green card from the system. His NEXUS card was rejected on the next use by the Global Entry kiosk (perhaps related to the green card error or perhaps related to the automatic invalidation of a NEXUS card listing citizenship as Canada upon US citizenship being added into the GOES/TTP system), although his new US passport was accepted.

3)

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/27870448-post1.html

The wife of @emcampbe was a Canadian citizen and a US green card holder who had NEXUS membership. When the wife became a US citizen, they went to the NEXUS office at YYZ.

But when they went to the office, the officers made the change quickly (because emcampbe and wife had a flight departing soon).

In the process, the officers apparently made errors and did not remove the wife's now-invalid US green card from the system, so her new US passport was rejected on the next use by the Global Entry kiosk.

-------

As you can see, the theme of these postings is:

- Go to the NEXUS office well in advance of any flights you need to catch.

- Insist to the front desk employee or officer that you must be seen by the CBSA and CBP officers for the document update to be properly performed.

- Ensure that the CBSA and CBP officers:

-- remove the US green card listed (in your case, your Canadian permanent resident card)

-- update citizenship to reflect United States (in your case, Canada)

-- add the US passport to the system (in your case, Canadian passport) (the least problematic from these data points).

- While you are in the office, and just after the officers make the changes, be prepared to log into the TTP system on your phone to ensure that the changes were made, and that the information / documents listed are all correct.

Last edited by Newbie2FT; Mar 10, 2018 at 12:20 pm Reason: narrative, wording