Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

Global Entry, NEXUS or TSA PreCheck?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Global Entry, NEXUS or TSA PreCheck?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 17, 2019, 5:38 am

OK, I applied for Global Entry. I'm retired and don't have a great love for international travel, but one never knows.
Old Feb 17, 2019, 9:51 am

Programs: COdbaUA Platinum 2MM
Originally Posted by Mike Rivers
OK, I applied for Global Entry. I'm retired and don't have a great love for international travel, but one never knows.
Exactly. For additional $15, it is well worth it.
Old Feb 17, 2019, 10:33 am

Programs: AA, UA, GE
Originally Posted by 1KChinito
Exactly. For additional $15, it is well worth it.
And considering he is doing it because he has a credit card that will reimburse for either one, he OP is not spending his money either way.
Old Aug 30, 2019, 12:25 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Moderator's Action

For indexing and future search purposes, a recent question about which KTN to use by a person with PreCheck who subsequently signed up for Global Entry and responses were moved to the relevant thread:
TWA884
Travel Safety/Security co-moderator
Old Mar 4, 2023, 7:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
I miss the days of complimentary TSA PreCheck® from UA, which I had until recently. I don't even know for sure how, perhaps from being a MileagePlus™ Premier Silver® member?
​​​​​​https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly...-precheck.html

I guess it is time for me to Apply for PreCheck or Global Entry, whenever CBP can get their interview process streamlined.
Old Mar 4, 2023, 7:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Originally Posted by SPN Lifer
I miss the days of complimentary TSA PreCheck® from UA, which I had until recently. I don't even know for sure how, perhaps from being a MileagePlus™ Premier Silver® member?
​​​​​​https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly...-precheck.html

I guess it is time for me to Apply for PreCheck or Global Entry, whenever CBP can get their interview process streamlined.
While a bit harder to get an interview, I find NEXUS to be the best overall. $50 for five years of GE/NEXUS/PreCheck is wonderful!
Old Mar 5, 2023, 10:04 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by FriendlySkies
While a bit harder to get an interview, I find NEXUS to be the best overall. $50 for five years of GE/NEXUS/PreCheck is wonderful!
And if applying with U18 children who are US citizens, NEXUS is even more of a real money saver (over Global Entry) for when NEXUS enrollment centers are convenient to the applicants.
Old May 9, 2023, 5:11 pm
Original Member

Programs: AS, UA, HY, Hil, Merr
TSA..which program how and where

Live in Escondido, CA. Travel out of SAN. Will be doing a relative tight international trip in Sept and Oct. Do not have precheck or global. Hope to get global. My search suggests that I can make an appointment at Term 2 SAN. to expedite the process,.instead of starting with an online application. The .gov site says starting with an application takes 4-6 months!..HELP.

If it is not reasonable to get the gobal, should I get the precheck. San Marcos office is closed (says temporary, but I cannot see when that may change).. Looks like I can make an appointment at Staples in Kearny Mesa. .Anyone done that?.

I have current passport and the updated drivers license. No record. 78 yr old. Should I have my wife do the same? US citizens...born here.

Thank you.

Last edited by ranles; May 9, 2023 at 5:21 pm
Old May 9, 2023, 5:42 pm
Community Director Emerita

I'm a little confused as to what your goal is.

TSA precheck - helps on outbound. There are TSA lines at SAN that are generally shorter and therefore faster than regular security lines. You need to clear security at Tom Bradley International Terminal. There are also TSA lines there.

You didn't mention CLEAR. It is only useful on outbound. Both SAN and LAX (TBIT) now have clear. It costs $169 (I think) for 2 (I think). Some credit cards give rebates on the fee, similarly to the Global Entry fee.

Global Entry - helps on both outbound and inbound. We swear by it. It is a super fast way to clear entry into the US, whether at SAN, LAX, or SFO, whichever is your port of entry. Global Entry also includes TSA precheck.

We did our Global Entry interview at Otay Mesa.

https://appointmentscanner.com/locat...ollment-center

If your concern is the outbound connection, you can apply for CLEAR if you can't get a Global Entry interview. You can then get Global Entry on reentering the US. There are signs up showing you where to go as you come thru customs.
Old May 9, 2023, 7:08 pm
Original Member

Thank you. I tend to ramble. I want Global, but it seems unattainable in my time frame. Thank you for the link. I when there. The wait for an appointment is 320 days! My interest in precheck is secondary. Will it do me any good going into Copenhagen (SAN-YUL-CPH all on AC), out of Barcelona (BCN-FRA-SFO-SAN on UA #ed flights by Lufthansa, UA and UA), and/or thru SFO (clearing customs) on the way home to SAN. We often get precheck thru United. Wife was 1-K global for a few years, but never made permanent status, as flights were split with other carriers often out of necessity. We will be in business class on all flights, except SFO to SAN, which will be in first. Trip a couple back to back cruises.in Europe.
Old May 13, 2023, 6:53 pm
Original Member

Read way too much postings on the subject. I give up. I filled out the form for Gobal, and I will just wait and see. We are leaving for international (cruise, with overnight in Denmark) in 4 months. Likelihood of getting Global that quick appears to be very low, but might as well try. Wife got lucky with passport renewal in record time. Maybe I will get lucky. Old retired guy with lots of recorded travel and no issues? Maybe I can miss an interview.

IF I got Global, does that mean wife and I can go thru customs time together?
Old May 13, 2023, 7:17 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by ranles
No, please refer to the following thread:
Old May 14, 2023, 9:15 am

Programs: COdbaUA Platinum 2MM
Originally Posted by ranles
Read way too much postings on the subject. I give up. I filled out the form for Gobal, and I will just wait and see. We are leaving for international (cruise, with overnight in Denmark) in 4 months. Likelihood of getting Global that quick appears to be very low, but might as well try. Wife got lucky with passport renewal in record time. Maybe I will get lucky. Old retired guy with lots of recorded travel and no issues? Maybe I can miss an interview.

Answer is no, as per TWA884. Your wife needs to apply separately. Do you have credit card/s would pay for Global Entry application fee?
Old May 14, 2023, 1:39 pm
Original Member

Thank you. Wife just signed up too
Old May 16, 2023, 9:53 am
Original Member

Global in a couple days. See related link with data

Global Entry - US Citizens & LPRs First Time Applicants' Timelines & Information - Page 147 - FlyerTalk Forums

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.