Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

Global Entry, NEXUS or TSA PreCheck?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Global Entry, NEXUS or TSA PreCheck?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 15, 2023, 5:19 pm

Originally Posted by ashill
Technically you don’t need any ID at all as a US citizen once you reach the US border since US citizens have an absolute right to enter the US, but obviously I wouldn’t recommend that and that strategy only works in one direction!
Not true, you do need some ID to prove that. Just loudly saying "I'm an American citizen and have a right to enter" to the CBP officer isn't going to cut it. That is the easiest ground for entry refusal .
Once you provide your proof of ID as an American citizen, you then have the absolute right to enter US.
Old Nov 15, 2023, 9:17 pm

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Originally Posted by birdy24
Not true, you do need some ID to prove that. Just loudly saying "I'm an American citizen and have a right to enter" to the CBP officer isn't going to cut it. That is the easiest ground for entry refusal .
Once you provide your proof of ID as an American citizen, you then have the absolute right to enter US.
My understanding is that you need to demonstrate that you are a US citizen. The requirement as that you prove that you are a US citizen to the satisfaction of the border agent, not that you have ID proving you're a US citizen. Obviously simply loudly saying I'm a US citizen alone won't do that, and having the proper ID is by far the easiest and legally unambiguous way to do that, and I would never recommend intentionally traveling to the US without a passport or other WHTI-approved document, and I've never tried it, and it would take much longer without proper ID to prove your citizenship, and you won't be able to board a flight or other commercial vehicle traveling to the US without valid ID. But under international law you have the right to enter your country of citizenship if you physically arrive at the border, as you can do walking or driving to a land border. And relevant to this thread, my point was simply that a Global Entry card which describes the holder as a US citizen proves US citizenship, and that's really all you need to enter the US. Unlike a NEXUS card, a Global Entry card declaring US citizenship is not, in my experience or by my reading of the CBSA web site, valid for entry to Canada. (I haven't read any relevant case law.) And also unlike a NEXUS card, a Global Entry card is not valid for international air travel under any circumstance.

As I recall my c. 2015 experience driving to Canada with a Global Entry card for a short visit as a non-resident, the CBSA agent actually did let me in but said the document isn't legally valid for travel; other trusted traveler cards such as NEXUS are, but they'd let me in this time. (I have all sorts of privilege; I have to assume I wouldn't have been so lucky if I weren't white, English/French-speaking, etc.) When I became a permanent resident years later at the same border crossing, the agent went into a fair bit of detail how as a permanent resident I should always travel with my permanent resident card but if I lose it or am in trouble (he specifically said "I know you're from a generally safe country, but you never know"), I still have an absolute right to enter Canada; I'll just have to satisfy the border guard that I am in fact a permanent resident. I have never tested that either, and never plan to.

But again, obviously no one should plan to ever approach any border without the appropriate ID!
SPN Lifer likes this.

Last edited by ashill; Nov 16, 2023 at 1:45 am
Old Nov 16, 2023, 4:03 pm

Good to know, thanks.
Old Jan 6, 2024, 7:31 am

Question: Time to get TSA PreCheck approved when applying for Global Entry (first time applicants):

For background: My "young adult kids" are considering applying for Global Entry for the first time and I'm helping them navigate the process. They will predominantly use TSA Precheck, but will apply for Global Entry since it's only a few dollars more. While they will certainly use TSA Precheck in the near future, they're not sure when they would need Global Entry. I've had Global Entry since 2003 so I'm a little out of the loop on the current process!

The question: When does one get TSA Precheck approved when applying for Global Entry? My concern is that if you don't get TSA Precheck until Global Entry is approved, and if there is a long delay in getting Global Entry then they would miss having TSA Precheck for upcoming flights. By any chance are the separate tracks for approval for both systems (i.e., could TSA Precheck approval happen faster than Global Entry)?

Thanks to all!
Old Jan 6, 2024, 12:14 pm

Nope, you don't get precheck benefits from GE until you are fully approved.
Old Jan 6, 2024, 12:24 pm

Programs: AA, AS, Marriott
Originally Posted by science_guy
The question: When does one get TSA Precheck approved when applying for Global Entry? My concern is that if you don't get TSA Precheck until Global Entry is approved, and if there is a long delay in getting Global Entry then they would miss having TSA Precheck for upcoming flights.
TSA Precheck comes with a Global Entry program membership, so it is only available after final approval for Global Entry. Some people apply for TSA Precheck in advance of Global Entry since it is generally a much faster approval time. If there would be value in spending an additional $85 for TSA Precheck while waiting for Global Entry approval, your kids can apply for both programs.

In their cases and absent additional information, I would recommend just applying for Global Entry and waiting it out. Now, if you came back and said their travel patterns have recently changed such that they'll be flying every week versus previously a couple of times per year, that would favor getting a TSA Precheck membership while they wait for Global Entry approval.

It's possible that their conditional approvals could come back quickly, but it would still require an in person interview to complete enrollment for an initial applicant.
TWA884 and science_guy like this.
Old Jan 21, 2024, 8:58 pm

Wife and I did the NEXUS interview at the crossing in Detroit several years ago when we were taking a trip to Montreal. Interview took all of about 10-15 minutes. Just renewed my card last year with no follow-up interview needed just paying the $50. Like others have said give the benefit of TSA precheck which we use a great deal. Also just learned NEXUS gives us access to GE which will come in handy for a international trip we are taking in August. All for $50 is a bargain!
Rare, Majuki, zmb and 1 others like this.
Old Jan 23, 2024, 5:58 pm

If you are close to the CAN/USA border, go for NEXUS.
Old Mar 27, 2024, 12:16 pm

applying for global entry instead of renewing TSA PreCheck

I currently have a KTN and TSA precheck. Expires in about a year. I'm looking at the possibility of traveling out of country this fall and wondering if it would be better to apply for Global Entry (which as I understand it includes TSA precheck) rather than renewing my current TSA precheck. I do get reimbursed from my Capital One card for either.

I am traveling within the country in May so would rather not make a new application until after that point, in case the GE app would change my KTN.
Old Mar 27, 2024, 1:15 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by RedhedMary
I currently have a KTN and TSA precheck. Expires in about a year. I'm looking at the possibility of traveling out of country this fall and wondering if it would be better to apply for Global Entry (which as I understand it includes TSA precheck) rather than renewing my current TSA precheck. I do get reimbursed from my Capital One card for either.

I am traveling within the country in May so would rather not make a new application until after that point, in case the GE app would change my KTN.
Applying for Global Entry will not change your TSA PreCheck KTN. You will receive a separate KTN with a different format, all digits, for GE. Both will remain valid until their expiration date and you will be able to choose which one to use.
Rare and SPN Lifer like this.
Old Mar 27, 2024, 1:46 pm

Originally Posted by TWA884
Applying for Global Entry will not change your TSA PreCheck KTN. You will receive a separate KTN with a different format, all digits, for GE. Both will remain valid until their expiration date and you will be able to choose which one to use.
Thanks for the info.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.