Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

Global Entry, NEXUS or TSA PreCheck?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Global Entry, NEXUS or TSA PreCheck?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 27, 2016, 11:06 am

Thanks everyone.
Old Dec 27, 2016, 11:10 am

GE 4 sure
Old Dec 27, 2016, 11:31 am
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
While getting GE (which includes TSA PC) is the better choice, the requirements to get TSA PC are not as stringent as GE's.
[Do you have any "black marks" on your record?]
Old Dec 27, 2016, 11:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
There's no reason not to get GE if you can. Don't know if there are differences in the background checks for either program.

Especially if its free to you, there's almost no reason why Pre-check would be better. Off the top, I can only think of two things - one if there is something you've down that would make them reject GE, but not pre-check (perhaps a customs violation might). Second, there are more pre-check enrollment centers than GE ones - if you are in an area without a GE center for an interview, may be better off with pre-check only. Howevver, even if you don't use the GE part, and only the precheck, shouldn't really be a problem
Old Jan 3, 2017, 12:33 pm

When I was in my GE interview, I overheard one of the other guy asking another interviewer about the difference between Global Entry and TSA PreCheck. The interviewer told him, comparing GE to TSA PreCheck is like comparing the Visa Black Card to Costco Membership card. No really, that's what he said.
Old Jan 3, 2017, 12:48 pm

Location: SEA, or BOS, or MUC, or other places (probably connecting). "Detroit, Michigan is in the Eastern time zone."
Programs: DL PM/1MM, AS 100K, NEXUS/GE, CLEAR, Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Need
When I was in my GE interview, I overheard one of the other guy asking another interviewer about the difference between Global Entry and TSA PreCheck. The interviewer told him, comparing GE to TSA PreCheck is like comparing the Visa Black Card to Costco Membership card. No really, that's what he said.
Does that make NEXUS the Amex Centurion?
Old Jan 6, 2017, 6:11 pm

Originally Posted by cxfan1960
If you are only traveling 3-4 times total a year, I am uncertain if it is worthwhile going for GE or TSA Pre.
It only took me about an hour or so to apply for TSA Pre. So if you travel 4 times a year for five years, that is 20 times travelling or 40 times checking in (outbound+return flight)--so if it saves you more than 90 seconds each time clearing security it is worth it.

Originally Posted by CKDGM
Does that make NEXUS the Amex Centurion?
I get the sense that the requirements for GE are pretty much identical to the requirements for NEXUS on the US side. Of course for NEXUS, you also need to qualify on the Canadian side--but the Canadian rules are generally more lenient. I assume there are exceptions if someone has a specific violation in Canada in their background.

Last edited by TWA884; May 9, 2023 at 8:52 pm Reason: Merge consecutive posts by the same member; please use the multi-quote function. Thank you.
Old Jan 6, 2017, 11:37 pm

Location: SEA, or BOS, or MUC, or other places (probably connecting). "Detroit, Michigan is in the Eastern time zone."
Programs: DL PM/1MM, AS 100K, NEXUS/GE, CLEAR, Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by dash1729
I get the sense that the requirements for GE are pretty much identical to the requirements for NEXUS on the US side. Of course for NEXUS, you also need to qualify on the Canadian side--but the Canadian rules are generally more lenient. I assume there are exceptions if someone has a specific violation in Canada in their background.
DUI convictions (anywhere) generally make one inadmissible under Canadian law, so they're stricter in some areas.
Old Jan 8, 2017, 11:01 am

Originally Posted by NC_Travelbug
Trying to decide between getting TSA Precheck or Global Entry. I would prefer Global Entry but I heard there can be a wait of months, and I would like to use the TSA Precheck part a few times in the next few months. I also do not travel internationally much, so if the wait is over 4 months, I might just get the precheck.

I am a little annoyed you have to pay the fee to see the interview availability.
I'd recommend Global Entry because it comes with TSA. But if you have couple credit cards which cover fees for you, then go with TSA first.

Immigration lines at airport is growing insane, in my case I take atleast one international trip. My motivating factor is GE rather than TSA pre-check.
Old Jan 9, 2017, 4:23 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL Silver, Global Entry
Originally Posted by johndoes
I'd recommend Global Entry because it comes with TSA. But if you have couple credit cards which cover fees for you, then go with TSA first.

Immigration lines at airport is growing insane, in my case I take atleast one international trip. My motivating factor is GE rather than TSA pre-check.
Huh? If you have credit cards that will reimburse you for enrollment fees why not go with the slightly more expensive Global Entry? If it's not going to cost you more than the providing a bit more personal information then I don't understand settling for just TSA PreCheck.
Old Jan 9, 2017, 10:40 pm

Originally Posted by Randyk47
Huh? If you have credit cards that will reimburse you for enrollment fees why not go with the slightly more expensive Global Entry? If it's not going to cost you more than the providing a bit more personal information then I don't understand settling for just TSA PreCheck.
Are there more locations for the in-person part for TSA precheck?

I could see making the argument for TSA if there's no close by GE interview location (correct me if they are both done at the same place, I'm not super familiar with the TSA PC application).
Old Jan 10, 2017, 6:21 am

Originally Posted by el aye
Are there more locations for the in-person part for TSA precheck?

I could see making the argument for TSA if there's no close by GE interview location (correct me if they are both done at the same place, I'm not super familiar with the TSA PC application).
That might be a consideration for some. I've had GE for a couple years now and really haven't looked to see where are the different interview locations. In my case there was a GE interview office 9 miles away at SAT and the closest PreCheck office was 100 miles away. I really wanted PreCheck but it would have cost more than the $15 difference in gas to drive the 200 mile round trip. Subsequently TSA has opened a local office so today I'd have a choice but having had and used GE for reentry five or six times now I'm glad I have it. Bottom line for me is given the choice, assuming relatively easy access to an interview office, I'd recommend GE over PreCheck.
Old Jun 20, 2017, 1:32 pm

Programs: DL Gold, SPG/Marriott Gold
Global Entry or TSA Pre?

Should I go for Global Entry or TSA Pre? I recently got the Amex Platinum card and I need to decide which to sign up for.

Closest enrollment center for GE is in Seattle, and I am 6 hours away. So that is why I am wondering if it is even worth applying for GE since whenever going overseas the airports I fly through have the Kiosks for all US citizens anyway.
Old Jun 20, 2017, 2:57 pm

Originally Posted by jonathanbak
Should I go for Global Entry or TSA Pre? I recently got the Amex Platinum card and I need to decide which to sign up for.

Closest enrollment center for GE is in Seattle, and I am 6 hours away. So that is why I am wondering if it is even worth applying for GE since whenever going overseas the airports I fly through have the Kiosks for all US citizens anyway.
Where is the closest TSA PreCheck interview office? If it's significantly closer then that might be the answer for you.
Old Jun 20, 2017, 5:21 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
GE costs $15 more over 5 years. That is $3 per year and it is well worth it if you fly just one international trip. The kiosks and app do work, but they don't get you past Customs and faster and when things get crowded, GE will generally be the least crowded.

If you fly regularly, schedule yourself a longer connection on an upcoming trip and schedule your GE interview for that airport. There should be a GE site at pretty much all of the hubs, so this should be easier if you are 6 hours from SEA.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.