Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

Global Entry, NEXUS or TSA PreCheck?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Global Entry, NEXUS or TSA PreCheck?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 29, 2023, 6:47 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Formerly Starbucks Gold
Depending on your location, NEXUS is cheaper , comes with expedited entry into canada and global entry and pre. You do have to also interview with candian border patrol though as well. Just something to think about.
Old Jun 29, 2023, 6:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BThumme
Depending on your location, NEXUS is cheaper , comes with expedited entry into canada and global entry and pre. You do have to also interview with candian border patrol though as well. Just something to think about.
NEXUS is for US/CA crossing only — it doesn't include Global Entry generally at US ports of entry. It is indeed the cheapest option for getting TSA precheck though.
Old Jun 29, 2023, 6:54 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Formerly Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by fumje
NEXUS is for US/CA crossing only — it doesn't include Global Entry generally at US ports of entry. It is indeed the cheapest option for getting TSA precheck though.
A NEXUS membership does have the reciprocity of Global Entry.
zmb likes this.
Old Jun 29, 2023, 6:56 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by fumje
https://www.cbp.gov/travel/trusted-t...ams/nexus/card
All NEXUS members can enjoy the benefits of Global Entry at no additional cost through using the Global Entry kiosks/portals for entry at participating airports.
Old Jun 29, 2023, 7:05 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75k, DL Silver Medallion
hotscot I don't think you are foolish for missing the relative value of Global Entry over PreCheck! For domestic travelers, the airports really push Pre✓ but the value proposition is much better with GE for anyone who leaves the USA even once or twice.

My spouse and I started by getting GE for ourselves, but also signed up our teens within a couple of years of our own matriculation. Once you have it, you appreciate the Pre✓ value and never want to travel with anyone who doesn't share it.

As I said recently in another post, GE is also great for offering yet another piece of "Real ID" for airline travel for those without a driver's license. I didn't think I cared about this... until my teen needed to go take a College Board administered test (CLEP exam) while his passport was out for renewal.
Old Jun 29, 2023, 7:14 pm

Programs: COdbaUA Platinum 2MM
Originally Posted by hotscot
I feel stupid.
I signed up for TSA PreCheck and just discovered that if I'd gotten Global Entry it would include TSA anyway?

It seems that my wife and I both need to apply for Global, if we want that benefit, so at least that would give her TSA anyway. so I guess that's ok.

Anybody know if we can both go through TSA or only the individual who registered for it?

Looking for comments from travelers who have used it.
Many have come to the same conclusion as you. Do you have credit card/s which reimburses you for Global Entry/NEXUS application fee?
Old Jun 29, 2023, 10:35 pm

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
NEXUS makes a ton of sense if your travels involve Canada and you can get to a Canadian border checkpoint to do the interview; it's cheaper and is a superset of the benefits of Pre-Check or Global Entry. But interviews for NEXUS are much harder to come by. It doesn't make sense to schedule a multiple-hundred dollar trip to the Canadian border just to avoid the $35 extra (for Pre-Check) or $50 extra (for Global Entry). (NEXUS is free for kids, which makes the financial proposition even better, but even if you're saving $85 or $100 it only makes sense if you have other reasons to travel to a Canadian border crossing that does NEXUS interviews.) And there at least used to be some credit cards that cover the $85 for Pre-Check or $100 for Global Entry but not the $50 for NEXUS, so if you have one of those cards, NEXUS is actually more expensive.
Old Jun 30, 2023, 6:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

A NEXUS membership does have the reciprocity of Global Entry.
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Thanks, apparently I was misinformed.
Old Nov 13, 2023, 4:10 pm

Just taking a survey here. DH and I (US citizens) currently have NEXUS, have had it since 2014 (we first got GE in 2009 or so). The first renewal in 2019 did not require an interview. My membership is due for renewal and I figure that the odds of needing an interview might be high. We aren't travelling to Canada as much as we anticipated and I'm thinking of reverting to GE only now that Canada has kiosks at the major airports. AMEX Platinum only reimburses for GE and then there's the travel from LA to the border to consider. What say you all - am I missing a particular benefit of NEXUS that would make renewing it more attractive even if there might be a hassle with an interview? The $50 doesn't bother me. Thanks.
Old Nov 13, 2023, 7:18 pm

Programs: DL PM 1MM
Originally Posted by critterchick
Just taking a survey here. DH and I (US citizens) currently have NEXUS, have had it since 2014 (we first got GE in 2009 or so). The first renewal in 2019 did not require an interview. My membership is due for renewal and I figure that the odds of needing an interview might be high. We aren't travelling to Canada as much as we anticipated and I'm thinking of reverting to GE only now that Canada has kiosks at the major airports. AMEX Platinum only reimburses for GE and then there's the travel from LA to the border to consider. What say you all - am I missing a particular benefit of NEXUS that would make renewing it more attractive even if there might be a hassle with an interview? The $50 doesn't bother me. Thanks.
My spouse and I have renewed Nexus twice now, and no renewal interview has been required.
Rare and SPN Lifer like this.
Old Nov 13, 2023, 11:16 pm

If you’re travelling to or live in Canada, NEXUS is very valuable. It gets you airport security advantages ranging from front of line to PreCheck-like treatment that isn’t available any other way. I also find the wallet-sized card to be quite nice for land border crossings (which I use far more than air) instead of a passport card (and a free one for minors) or enhanced drivers license/ID (which many states/provinces never implemented and some that did are doing away with them, explicitly saying you should get a NEXUS card instead). But if you don’t go to Canada frequently, there’s no benefit beyond Global Entry except for the cheaper cash cost (which as you say is only actually cheaper if they don’t require an interview).
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Nov 14, 2023, 8:26 am

Programs: AA, UA, GE
Originally Posted by ashill
If you’re travelling to or live in Canada, NEXUS is very valuable. It gets you airport security advantages ranging from front of line to PreCheck-like treatment that isn’t available any other way. I also find the wallet-sized card to be quite nice for land border crossings (which I use far more than air) instead of a passport card (and a free one for minors) or enhanced drivers license/ID (which many states/provinces never implemented and some that did are doing away with them, explicitly saying you should get a NEXUS card instead). But if you don’t go to Canada frequently, there’s no benefit beyond Global Entry except for the cheaper cash cost (which as you say is only actually cheaper if they don’t require an interview).
I believe the GE card works in a similar manner. But I don't do any land border crossings. So hopefully someone with personal experience can jump in with a comment.
Old Nov 14, 2023, 9:39 am

Originally Posted by mnbp
My spouse and I have renewed Nexus twice now, and no renewal interview has been required.
Same here. Second renewal was last year.

Others have also reported second renewals approved without interview in this thread:
Nexus Renewal Information and Processing Timelines
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Nov 14, 2023, 3:11 pm
zmb

Programs: DL Gold Medallion, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by cheltzel
I believe the GE card works in a similar manner. But I don't do any land border crossings. So hopefully someone with personal experience can jump in with a comment.
The GE card does grant access to the Verified Traveller (their PreCheck equivalent) lanes at Canadian airports. Unlike PreCheck which has to be on your BP and requires the airline to be a participating member, the physical GE/Nexus card is required for access.

And GE still works to enter the US at land border crossings, despite signage never mentioning it. As a WHTI-compliant document, it will work at crossings without Nexus/GE lanes (like ferry terminals) and may reduce how many questions the officer asks.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Nov 14, 2023, 7:46 pm

Originally Posted by cheltzel
GE card works for entering the US but not for entering Canada at land border crossings. (I learned this driving to Canada before I moved to Canada and got NEXUS.)

Originally Posted by zmb
And GE still works to enter the US at land border crossings, despite signage never mentioning it. As a WHTI-compliant document, it will work at crossings without Nexus/GE lanes (like ferry terminals) and may reduce how many questions the officer asks.
I actually don’t see GE cards on the list there; they list trusted traveller cards (NEXUS, SENTRI, FAST) but notably omit GE (though they don’t see GE isn’t valid). And that page is a US CBP page; the Canadians differ in that regard. I never had trouble entering the US as a US citizen with a GE card. Technically you don’t need any ID at all as a US citizen once you reach the US border since US citizens have an absolute right to enter the US, but obviously I wouldn’t recommend that and that strategy only works in one direction!

Last edited by ashill; Nov 14, 2023 at 7:57 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.