Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

Global Entry Application Countries Visited [consolidated thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Global Entry Application Countries Visited [consolidated thread]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 8, 2013, 12:15 pm

A US citizen colleague of mine LIVES in Mogadishu (Somalia residence permit) and got Global Entry approved just in August this year. He was asked what he does in Somalia at the interview (Dulles), but no hassles beyond that.
Old Oct 8, 2013, 12:26 pm
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
For more discussion, please follow as the thread moves to the apt travel security forum. Ocn Vw 1K, Moderator, TravelBuzz
Old Oct 8, 2013, 12:34 pm

Programs: AA, UA, GE
Originally Posted by philhayes
My application is pending approval with Syria and Venezuela my main concerns.
How long has it been pending?

With the shutdown follies now playing in Washington DC, things could take a bit longer than normal.
Old Oct 8, 2013, 4:13 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium
Global Entry and "questionable" countries

It has been a few weeks now, the shutdown certainly hasn't helped. I'm a bit worried because if I'm approved for interview, I might not be able to make it within the timescale. I'll be back in the US in two weeks and then again at Christmas but I can't imagine the office hours then will be very useful. Fingers crossed!
Old Oct 12, 2013, 12:52 am

I would not worry about those countries, frequent travelers also frequently travel to strange places and while they may have questions it will still be a much more friendly setting than a general border control. Keep in mind that the fact that you applied for a program like this where you know how thorough the background check is shows that you have nothing to hide. I was approved for Global Entry back in March with a similar stack of "fishy" countries, and after browsing through my passport the only question the interviewer had was about my Cambodian visa; "hmm... how come they are a kingdom?".

Regarding the current processing times... Usually it just takes a couple of days but it looks like they are really behind right now with the shutdown and everything, even the website keeps going down. You can check out this thread http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/pract...g-time-38.html for good updates on processing times.
Old Sep 16, 2015, 10:56 am

Programs: Delta Gold, Marriott Platinum, Former Amtrak Select, Former Hilton Gold
Global Entry Application Countries Visited

In the countries visited in the last X years section, do you need to list a country if you only changed planes in the airport?
Old Sep 16, 2015, 11:01 am

I would say no....

You technically never left the secure area of the airport so if it was just a transfer you were never "leagally" in the country.

This would be different if you left (through customs) but I am assuming you never did.
Old Sep 16, 2015, 11:15 am

Nope. I asked at my interview. They consider airside areas to be international zones or something like that.
Old Sep 16, 2015, 2:49 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
This is simple. And it's the same advice repeated on innumerable other "should I list" threads relating to GE and CBP in general.

YES

If you want to get into it with the one CBP Officer who decides that the transit area of some particular airport is a "visit" go ahead and don't list your international connections. If the Officer determines that you have been less than truthful, you can appeal to the Ombudsman and three years later, maybe get your GE. You can always say that you read on an anonymous Internet board that somebody was told by some CBP Officer that he need not list those transit connections.

Or, since you know the countries, why on earth not list them?

The key to success in dealing with bureaucracies is not overthinking. The question really does mean what it says.
Old Sep 16, 2015, 6:31 pm

Programs: MPC,CA,MU,AF
It all depends on the interviewer. I would suggest you write it down anyway.

There is never a fixed process. As an example (non-GE), I entered US with my mother-in-law, a Canadian years ago. I only filled one custom form. The immigration officer asked if my mother-in-law was residing in the same household as me. I said no, and he said we should have completed two forms, but allowed us that time. Last year, I flew in with my mother-in-law again. I completed two custom forms (I wasn't using GE because of my mother-in-law), and the immigration officer said you needed only one and tore off her form. So... it is up to the officer in charge if there is any grey area.
Old Sep 19, 2015, 3:33 am

Programs: BA, AA, SQ, UA, AC, WS, MR TIT
Do you have to list just the countries visited or also how many times visited and the dates of each visit?
Old Sep 19, 2015, 9:09 am

Programs: DL PM UA PSilver Marriott Lifetime Plat, AMEX Platinum, Avis PC, UA MPPPlus
Originally Posted by NA-Flyer
Do you have to list just the countries visited or also how many times visited and the dates of each visit?
The online application just has you select the countries. No prompts or mechanism to collect dates or number of visits.
Old Sep 19, 2015, 10:26 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL Silver, Global Entry
Originally Posted by Often1
This is simple. And it's the same advice repeated on innumerable other "should I list" threads relating to GE and CBP in general.

YES

If you want to get into it with the one CBP Officer who decides that the transit area of some particular airport is a "visit" go ahead and don't list your international connections. If the Officer determines that you have been less than truthful, you can appeal to the Ombudsman and three years later, maybe get your GE. You can always say that you read on an anonymous Internet board that somebody was told by some CBP Officer that he need not list those transit connections.

Or, since you know the countries, why on earth not list them?

The key to success in dealing with bureaucracies is not overthinking. The question really does mean what it says.
I agree. Last year I wasn't sure about this when I applied for GE last year and listed England because of a transit through LHR. Interview agent didn't say a word about a fairly extensive list of countries racked up over the past couple of years, including the apparently now sensitive Turkey, so I asked about the LHR transit. He said it wasn't necessary but then added that it didn't hurt to list it and if questioned it could be easily explained.
Old Feb 26, 2016, 3:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Global Entry Application Countries Visited - Cruises and Caribbean Islands

Islands like St. Martin/St. Marteen, Curaçao, etc are not on the countries list. Do I need to select France and Netherlands instead?
Old Feb 27, 2016, 8:56 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL Silver, Global Entry
Originally Posted by wrp96
Islands like St. Martin/St. Marteen, Curaçao, etc are not on the countries list. Do I need to select France and Netherlands instead?
I skipped them and didn't put France or the Netherlands in their place. Thanks to cruising and our land-based travel our list of countries was substantial from all over the Caribbean to throughout the Med from Spain to Turkey. I actually wondered if the agent would ask about our travels and it didn't come up.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.