Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

Global Entry vs. Mobile Passport App vs. APC

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Global Entry vs. Mobile Passport App vs. APC

Search this Thread

Old Jun 22, 2016, 11:20 am

Can non-family members traveling with you be added? It appears so, since the app allows you to populate last names.

In our case, family of four with GE but bringing one of my kids' friends who does NOT have GE. So hoping to use Mobile Passport for the 5 of us at JFK so we don't have to separate into different lines, etc.

Jamie

EDIT - initial reports suggest the app can only work for a family of four, not larger. However, the current version of the app allows you to add other passports. Will this work for a group of 5 (see above) or should I just have family friend set up on his own phone?

Last edited by jamienbaker; Jun 22, 2016 at 11:37 am
Old Jun 22, 2016, 12:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
You can do what we did when we landed before our daughter had GE.

Did Mobile Passport for daughter only, GE for me+wife. Made the mobile line a bit shorter. Exiting customs, GE and Mobile Passport can use the same expedited line
Old Jun 22, 2016, 12:25 pm

Originally Posted by joshwex90
You can do what we did when we landed before our daughter had GE.

Did Mobile Passport for daughter only, GE for me+wife. Made the mobile line a bit shorter. Exiting customs, GE and Mobile Passport can use the same expedited line
We will assume that your daughter was old enough to go through the line by herself, not a small child.
Old Jun 22, 2016, 12:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kensterfly
We will assume that your daughter was old enough to go through the line by herself, not a small child.
Why? Doesn't matter if she's 1 day old or 1 day shy of her 18th birthday.
Old Jun 22, 2016, 12:32 pm

Why? Doesn't matter if she's 1 day old or 1 day shy of her 18th birthday.
If your daughter has to go through a line separate from the GE line you and your wife went through, I'm thinking she wasn't one day old. In some airports, the MPA queue can be quite far from the GE queue. I wouldn't expect that most parents would send a small child through a separate line by herself.
Old Jun 23, 2016, 8:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kensterfly
If your daughter has to go through a line separate from the GE line you and your wife went through, I'm thinking she wasn't one day old. In some airports, the MPA queue can be quite far from the GE queue. I wouldn't expect that most parents would send a small child through a separate line by herself.
No, my point was that at more and more airports (I have seen this at EWR, JFK, and ATL), GE and Mobile Passport use the same line when exiting customs. As for passport control itself, the MP line is at the entrance and on the way, in essence, to GE
Old Jun 30, 2016, 8:04 am

Is it safe to assume the one main benefit of having GE over MPC is with GE you get TSA Pre on all your flights, domestic and international? And I guess GE is accepted at more airports than MPC.
Old Jun 30, 2016, 11:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MrBill64
Is it safe to assume the one main benefit of having GE over MPC is with GE you get TSA Pre on all your flights, domestic and international? And I guess GE is accepted at more airports than MPC.
Correct on both counts.
Old Jun 30, 2016, 1:33 pm

Correct on both counts.
The article today's WSJ is misleading. Although it's not free, GE is far superior to the App, and worth every penny.

1. TSAPre
2. accepted at more airports
3. special access line to exit customs (not immigration -- use kiosk)

Last edited by dtsm; Jun 30, 2016 at 1:41 pm
Old Jul 3, 2016, 2:28 pm

On a side note - as a MPC user about to go through ATL for the first coming back from Europe, is the MPC line easily found there? THanks.
Old Jul 3, 2016, 2:49 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond (MM), Hilton Diamond, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by raberg
On a side note - as a MPC user about to go through ATL for the first coming back from Europe, is the MPC line easily found there? THanks.
When you approach the APC kiosks, just walk past them to the person standing there and they will send you into the MPC lane. Last time I came through, it was on the far right and took me less than 5 to clear.
Old Jul 3, 2016, 3:12 pm

Many thanks for the info.
Old Jul 3, 2016, 11:44 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Titanium; Mileage Plus 1K, 1 MM; Global Entry
Originally Posted by Michilander
So, if you submit the information on landing and get a receipt, can you still use GE if the lines are shorter there?
Originally Posted by gobluetwo
I would imagine that you would have a choice. (I assume that) Nothing is being transmitted to CBP until your receipt is scanned at immigration, so you could go to the GE line if it's shorter and just let your mobile receipt expire (which it does after 4 hours).

OR if it is transmitted when you enter it, I would assume that they could just see that you were admitted back into the US by one channel or the other, so it wouldn't matter either way and you could just let your receipt expire.
Originally Posted by 14940674
Transmission occurs when you submit your information upon landing. As far as I know, you will be locked out of other means of entry (GE and APC) for at least four hours.
Has anyone actually tried this? Do you get locked out of GE if you submit MP?
Old Jul 4, 2016, 11:46 am

Programs: UA*G, UA 1MM
Originally Posted by dtsm
The article today's WSJ is misleading. Although it's not free, GE is far superior to the App, and worth every penny.

1. TSAPre
2. accepted at more airports
3. special access line to exit customs (not immigration -- use kiosk)
4. Access to SENTRI and NEXUS using your Global Entry card when coming back into the United States.
Old Jul 12, 2016, 9:25 am

How is this not at LAX yet?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.