Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

Global Entry vs. Mobile Passport App vs. APC

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Global Entry vs. Mobile Passport App vs. APC

Search this Thread

Old Sep 30, 2016, 7:53 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by darkguy2
The last two times I have flown back to the US I noticed that for regular US Citizens they have the machines they can use. My colleagues who travel with me seem to get through the normal line at the same time I get through the GE one. The only difference was after getting your bag and being able to cut in front of the line to exit. With this has anyone thought about not renewing?
If the US citizen were only coming into BOS as the US port of entry, GE isn't really doing a whole lot better for people compared to MPC.

Because different airports have different arrangements and due to increased odds for PreCheck, I'm probably going to keep renewing GE.
Old Oct 4, 2016, 10:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Does everyone qualify to use Mobile Passport? What if GE was revoked for an apple...does that preclude you from using Mobile Passport?
Old Oct 4, 2016, 5:28 pm

Programs: A few, *G,
SkyTeam777, just download the app and use it. There are no questions to answer and no checks to go through
Old Oct 5, 2016, 6:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by surreycrv
SkyTeam777, just download the app and use it. There are no questions to answer and no checks to go through
I can't get it to ever process a form. It always says CBP cannot process your form. I wonder what it could be?
Old Oct 9, 2016, 9:03 pm
ssh

Programs: UA 1K (MM), MR Plat Prem, Hertz Pres
Can I use GE if I fill the app on landing?

I didn't see an answer to this. Can I fill the app when I land and choose between mobile and GE lines when I get to them?
Old Oct 27, 2016, 7:51 pm
ssh

Programs: UA 1K (MM), MR Plat Prem, Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by ssh
I didn't see an answer to this. Can I fill the app when I land and choose between mobile and GE lines when I get to them?
Since no one seemed to know, I decided to try it today. Upon landing at SFO, I filled out the information in the app, but then went to the GE kiosk. The GE kiosk accepted me just fine (although, strangely, it made me go through a flight selection process that I don't normally have to do; I do not know if that's related or not. I doubt it).
Old Oct 28, 2016, 7:31 am

Programs: Marriott LT Titanium; Mileage Plus 1K, 1 MM; Global Entry
Originally Posted by ssh
Since no one seemed to know, I decided to try it today. Upon landing at SFO, I filled out the information in the app, but then went to the GE kiosk. The GE kiosk accepted me just fine (although, strangely, it made me go through a flight selection process that I don't normally have to do; I do not know if that's related or not. I doubt it).
ssh, Thanks for doing this.

By the way, I have had to go through the flight selection process a couple of times in the years I have GE. System seems to mis-identify your flight once in a while, so I doubt it had anything to do with having filled out the app.
Old Oct 29, 2016, 3:42 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by ssh
I do this dual option thing frequently and am doing it again today. The flight selection process comes up for my travel party members (including myself) from time to time at kiosks even when I've not used MPC.
Old Nov 2, 2016, 2:45 pm

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel
What if you are carrying food?
My wife and I just got back from Italy last week with some permitted food. I tried to use Mobile Passport, but it wouldn't let me, presumably because I had marked that we had brought food. Instead, b/c only I have GE, we went to the APC kiosks to fill out our info. B/c I indicated that we had food, we had a stripe/mark on our receipt. Immigration and customs officers both barely gave it a glance.

Note: Since this was my first time using the kiosks, I didn't realize you could put both people on a single receipt. Instead, my wife and I each entered our info on separate kiosks. I don't think it added any time at immigration or customs, though.
Old Dec 22, 2016, 1:31 pm

What's the GE vs regular Kiosk and checking for earlier GE interview

Have any one successfully getting earlier interview dates in SFO lately simply by checking on the website often?

I was sent to Kiosk last year at SFO when I did not have GE. What's to gain with the GE I am applying now?

Last edited by Larch2017; Dec 22, 2016 at 1:32 pm Reason: to be consistent with the subject
Old Dec 22, 2016, 1:56 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Larch2017
Have any one successfully getting earlier interview dates in SFO lately simply by checking on the website often?

I was sent to Kiosk last year at SFO when I did not have GE. What's to gain with the GE I am applying now?
The APC kiosk user experience can involve very long and very slow Lines, especially compared to GE kiosk user experiences.

As the US has increasingly allowed non-US and non-Canadian citizens to use the APC kiosks too, the lines to use APC kiosks have gotten longer and slower -- and its such that appreciation for GE and MPC only increases as it really does save a lot of time when things are busy.
Old Dec 22, 2016, 1:57 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by Larch2017

Welcome to FlyerTalk!

I moved your question to the thread discussing the differences between the Global Entry, the Mobile Passport App and the Automated Passport Control programs.

As for your question concerning interview dates, please check the following threads:
And:
Global Entry Walk-In Interviews

SFO - San Francisco Int'l Airport - Int'l Arrivals Level

Note: It has been confirmed that there are six walk-in spots available twice a day: 7am & 3pm.
Obviously, to increase your chances of one of those spots, you will need to arrive earlier than those times.

TWA884
Travel Safety/Security co-moderator
Old Dec 22, 2016, 3:10 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Originally Posted by GUWonder
The APC kiosk user experience can involve very long and very slow Lines, especially compared to GE kiosk user experiences.

As the US has increasingly allowed non-US and non-Canadian citizens to use the APC kiosks too, the lines to use APC kiosks have gotten longer and slower -- and its such that appreciation for GE and MPC only increases as it really does save a lot of time when things are busy.
APC doesn't get a fast-track lane at customs, do they? That can be a second big time-saver if you have GE and check a bag.
Old Dec 22, 2016, 3:28 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by chollie
APC doesn't get a fast-track lane at customs, do they? That can be a second big time-saver if you have GE and check a bag.
APC does not. MPC often does. GE most often does. The post-baggage claim lines can make a difference, but the extreme variance in time there is not as bad as it is with the passport control lines.
Old Dec 23, 2016, 11:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Interesting. I guess it's worth downloading the MPC App in the event GE goes FUBAR (or you forget to add your new passport to your GE profile - doh! ) However I have not had to wait more than a minute to use GE since they expanded the # of kiosks several years ago (at one time there were only 4 and not all in service!) And there are only 4 GE questions that are easy to check off. And my GE renewal fee gets rebated back by CSR. So I can't see any real incentive to use MP. At all.

At this point I find the longest lines and time wastage occurs when everyone funnels into one checkpoint @SFO where the CBP drone checks your customs form before permitting you to proceed into the baggage claim area. @SFO I have seen this back up by 20-30 people - you get someone with questions and it's a PITA as there is no workaround for anyone. At IAH they used to have a dedicated CBP agent to review the GE receipt and then you were on your way. But it does seem like a full employment act in places where you essentially have 2 CBP agents reviewing the receipt before baggage claim.

In terms of the customs inspection, the regular lines are all over the place. But sometimes they are quite long, and that's when I smile as I stroll down the GE lane.

We pay for our children to have GE status even though they never use it more than 2x a year. So I'm a bit biased, but I find it well worth the money. I'll pay $20 to avoid potentially waiting in a 1 hour line with kids any day. YMMV

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.