Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

Global Entry vs. Mobile Passport App vs. APC

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Global Entry vs. Mobile Passport App vs. APC

Search this Thread

Old Aug 10, 2015, 10:24 am

Originally Posted by Kensterfly
Interesting, especially for someone who doesn't fly often enough to justify the expense of GE.
One flight when returning home to 500+ people trying to get through immigration and customs and you'll wish otherwise.
Old Aug 10, 2015, 10:39 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by dtsm
One flight when returning home to 500+ people trying to get through immigration and customs and you'll wish otherwise.
Perhaps. But where the MPC app is applicable for me, I've been seeing MPC working out fast enough that seeing a huge crowd elsewhere waiting for CBP is making it more clear to me that GE isn't as relatively valuable for me as it used to be.
Old Aug 12, 2015, 2:19 pm

Now, if the MPC app would also get you into the short line exiting Customs, we'd have a real winner.
Old Aug 13, 2015, 2:41 am

Programs: AMEX Platinum, Global Entry, Priority Pass, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold
Now, if the MPC app would also get you into the short line exiting Customs, we'd have a real winner.
I recall reading that some ports were allowing MPC users to utilize the GE exit line at customs.
Old Nov 23, 2015, 6:34 am

So, I guess if just one of our family is a non-US/CA citizen (VWP country citizen), then we can't really use this app if we all want to go through passport control together? Would be nice to try when flying into ORD this winter.
Old Dec 29, 2015, 7:43 am

MIA mobile pass user

Originally Posted by 14940674
I recall reading that some ports were allowing MPC users to utilize the GE exit line at customs.
Just used mobile pass at MIA. Was the best thing ever. They had 3 individual lines, one for GE, one for Mobile Pass and one for others. The traditional like had hundreds of people. The GE line had at least 100. I was 4th in the mobile passport only line and then at the final customs exit, I was 2nd in that Mobile Pass exit line as well. I just filled out everything after I landed and took my app and passport to the agents. Highly recommended. I came here to understand the difference between GE and Mobile Pass and I guess, the only difference right now is if you enter through one of the airports that doesn't have the Mobile Pass.
Old Feb 9, 2016, 1:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP LT GLD 1MM, BA GLD, NH/UA*G, Hyatt Dia, Marr Tit LT PLT, IHG Spire,HH Dia, MGM NOIR,Hertz PC
The CBP site still doesn't list all airports where MPC is available... so it's ATL, SEA, ORD and MIA?
Old Feb 10, 2016, 11:05 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by skywalkerLAX
The CBP site still doesn't list all airports where MPC is available... so it's ATL, SEA, ORD and MIA?
The app lists all these places as having it: ATL DFW FLL MIA ORD SEA SFO

And it's still just US and Canadian passport users able to use this.
Old Apr 24, 2016, 1:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This seems like it provides basically Global Entry functionality without all the hoops. Am I missing something?
Old Apr 24, 2016, 1:27 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel
This seems like it provides basically Global Entry functionality without all the hoops. Am I missing something?
Right now, due to very few users, MPC is rather fast for the few using this to be admitted into the US. And yes, it's been faster at times than even GE. And it's generally much better than using the APC kiosks for my trips.

I have passport info stored in the phone app and submit the form and get a receipt between landing and disembarking at the gate. Some people may try to use the wifi internet in the inspection facility, but I have given up trying to do that. For my flights, there are very few users of this MPC service relative to the number of GE users from my flights.

Unlike with Global Entry, no need to pay any membership fees to DHS and no use of fingerprints for entry. And you get to fill in and verify the declaration form during down time on the plane rather than while in the terminal building itself.

I consider MPC to be more like an APC kiosk on your own phone but there being no line to wait for a machine to come available. And if your travel party consists of a household of multiple members, APC kiosk use -- and even GE kiosk use -- can take up more time than using MPC for multiple members.

Last edited by GUWonder; Apr 24, 2016 at 1:33 pm
Old Apr 24, 2016, 3:18 pm

Programs: UA MP 1K/2MM, HHonors Diamond
Mobile passport is the winner (for now anyway)

.. I've used mobile passport twice now since its been in use despite having global entry. Both times there were lines for the GE kiosk (although not terribly long) but no line at all to use the special lane for mobile passport. I think my strategy for now is to transmit my mobile passport when I land, and then if there is a line for the mobile passport lane go see if the kiosk is less. Chicago for example often seems to have lines for the GE kiosks.

I am guessing as it becomes more popular though lines may start to form for mobile passport, but for now its seems to be better (and free, now if I could only get a refund for GE!).

By the way, on a different related topic, if you live near the Canada border you are better off getting a Nexus card (only $50) which you get at the US/Canada border. Once you have that, you can then get G.E. for free with a simple online application, no other interview required. So in my case my G.E. was $50, not $100....
Old Apr 24, 2016, 3:20 pm

If you use the mobile app can you still use the GE customs
Exit line?

Originally Posted by petes
.. I've used mobile passport twice now since its been in use despite having global entry. Both times there were lines for the GE kiosk (although not terribly long) but no line at all to use the special lane for mobile passport. I think my strategy for now is to transmit my mobile passport when I land, and then if there is a line for the mobile passport lane go see if the kiosk is less. Chicago for example often seems to have lines for the GE kiosks.

I am guessing as it becomes more popular though lines may start to form for mobile passport, but for now its seems to be better (and free, now if I could only get a refund for GE!).

By the way, on a different related topic, if you live near the Canada border you are better off getting a Nexus card (only $50) which you get at the US/Canada border. Once you have that, you can then get G.E. for free with a simple online application, no other interview required. So in my case my G.E. was $50, not $100....
Old Apr 24, 2016, 5:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GUWonder
Right now, due to very few users, MPC is rather fast for the few using this to be admitted into the US. And yes, it's been faster at times than even GE. And it's generally much better than using the APC kiosks for my trips.

I have passport info stored in the phone app and submit the form and get a receipt between landing and disembarking at the gate. Some people may try to use the wifi internet in the inspection facility, but I have given up trying to do that. For my flights, there are very few users of this MPC service relative to the number of GE users from my flights.

Unlike with Global Entry, no need to pay any membership fees to DHS and no use of fingerprints for entry. And you get to fill in and verify the declaration form during down time on the plane rather than while in the terminal building itself.

I consider MPC to be more like an APC kiosk on your own phone but there being no line to wait for a machine to come available. And if your travel party consists of a household of multiple members, APC kiosk use -- and even GE kiosk use -- can take up more time than using MPC for multiple members.
Other than the lack of airports on this what's the reason for GE at this point?
Old Apr 24, 2016, 5:57 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel
Other than the lack of airports on this what's the reason for GE at this point?
Because at some point MPC could be as backed up as APC has become at some places at some times.

GE is still the more broadly available and less variable option around, and it comes with a very good chance of having PreCheck.
Old Apr 24, 2016, 6:00 pm
Suspended

If you use the mobile app can you still use the GE customs
Exit line?
No; at least it's not working commonly like that.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.