Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

The Consolidated CLEAR Information Thread (Locations, Promotions, Value)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Consolidated CLEAR Information Thread (Locations, Promotions, Value)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 12, 2021, 3:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Has anyone used the Amex Platinum credit to sign up additional family members yet?

I'm hoping for a data point that multiple charges of $50 will all be reimbursed by Amex and that it's not just one reimbursement per year.
Old Jul 12, 2021, 3:37 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, DL PM, Bonvoy Titanium (Plat Life), HH G, Amtrak, B6, MR
So interestingly, today I saw an offer on my Amex Gold card for 100% back on a single purchase with Clear, up to $179. I already have the $100 credit on my Amex Green card (this deal wasn't available on that card).

The Green credit language implies it will reimburse multiple charges of any amount up to a total of $100 in credits. So I'm thinking I can have my renewal go on the Gold card to get it for free, and add other family members on the Green card.

Does this sound right to people?
Old Jul 13, 2021, 7:32 am

Yes, just have to time it correctly. After Gold credit for your membership posts, add family members with Green card as default payment, or to be on the safe side, delete Gold after your credit posts.
Old Jul 13, 2021, 9:01 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, DL PM, Bonvoy Titanium (Plat Life), HH G, Amtrak, B6, MR
Originally Posted by Magna
Yes, just have to time it correctly. After Gold credit for your membership posts, add family members with Green card as default payment, or to be on the safe side, delete Gold after your credit posts.
Thanks! Now if only I actually had an opportunity to use the thing....

Wish they'd expand to more locations/terminals. *sigh*.
Old Jul 19, 2021, 1:34 pm

Originally Posted by arshi007
I don't see this being discussed/reported anywhere but today when I logged into my CLEAR account, it shows now that adding a family member is $60 additional instead of the $50 that was there earlier. Is everyone else also seeing the same thing ?

Still says $50 per family member in my account as well, but when I reactivated a few days ago, I was charged $60. Spoke with a rep who said as of July 1, 2021, family members are $60 per year. No explanation as to why it still shows $50 in my account...
Old Jul 21, 2021, 10:45 am

Is it possible to pay in advance for multiple years? I'm looking to maximize the current Amex offer and annual credit across multiple cards.
Old Jul 23, 2021, 7:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Surprised and pleased to find CLEAR is now available at OAK!! Although T2 precheck is generally pretty fast, Clear is even more reliable.

And best of all I could use the Clear line with a Gate Pass when my child was traveling, thus avoiding the massive backup at the regular entrance (you can't use precheck when you have a gate pass).
Old Jul 23, 2021, 10:53 pm

I enrolled in Clear through the new Amex Plat benefit, and have used it 3 times already in this past few weeks:
EWR - saved me what seemed like at least 15 mins wait in TSA Pre line for a Sunday early morning flight at T3.
SFO - saved me maybe 5-10 mins for Tue afternoon flight entering G / Intl Gates.
SEA - didn't save any time at all for a Tue redeye flight, also had to walk all the way to security point 4 to use it with TSA Pre even though we were at the A gates, since TSA pre is only at security point 4.

It's nice not needing to show ID though, the Iris scanner is pretty quick and nice not to have to pull down the mask or touch things (for the fingerprint method).

Also got the 100% back deal on my Amex Gold, will probably help enroll friends in the future
Old Jul 25, 2021, 2:31 am

Location: SEA, or BOS, or MUC, or other places (probably connecting). "Detroit, Michigan is in the Eastern time zone."
Programs: DL PM/1MM, AS 100K, NEXUS/GE, CLEAR, Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by aimango
SEA - didn't save any time at all for a Tue redeye flight, also had to walk all the way to security point 4 to use it with TSA Pre even though we were at the A gates, since TSA pre is only at security point 4.
This doesn't help for red-eye flights, unfortunately, but when SEA checkpoint 1 is open (0400 to 1800) it is also TSA Pre (only) and has CLEAR.

Airside, it comes out right by A4. You have to walk past all the ticket counters to get there (you can't go through the "back" corridor, which ends at checkpoint 2).
aimango likes this.
Old Jul 25, 2021, 10:21 am
Suspended

Programs: Clan Loganair
I get the impression that after the "secure" driver's license mandate starts, EVERYONE has to go through DL/Ticket check. ??? No more clear ??
Old Jul 25, 2021, 2:07 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by LordJohn
I get the impression that after the "secure" driver's license mandate starts, EVERYONE has to go through DL/Ticket check. ??? No more clear ??
Passengers enrolled in the CLEAR program will be required to have a REAL ID or other acceptable form of ID on file effective May 3, 2023. As long as CLEAR has record of such an ID, they will be allowed to continue using CLEAR to verify their identities at TSA security checkpoints.
Old Jul 25, 2021, 2:52 pm

Originally Posted by TWA884
Passengers enrolled in the CLEAR program will be required to have a REAL ID or other acceptable form of ID on file effective May 3, 2023. As long as CLEAR has record of such an ID, they will be allowed to continue using CLEAR to verify their identities at TSA security checkpoints.
Hopefully, they'll accept either my passport or GE id, otherwise I'm going to ditch the program. There is no way I'm ever stepping inside another DMV again, if I can help it.
Old Jul 25, 2021, 3:04 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Visconti
Hopefully, they'll accept either my passport or GE id, otherwise I'm going to ditch the program. There is no way I'm ever stepping inside another DMV again, if I can help it.
The acceptable forms of identification are listed in the CBP webpage that I linked in the post which you just quoted.
Old Jul 26, 2021, 9:01 am
Suspended

Programs: Clan Loganair
Originally Posted by TWA884
where did you find this. The letter I got from TSA stated ALL must show real ID (or acceptable) to guard
Old Jul 26, 2021, 9:52 am

Originally Posted by LordJohn
where did you find this. The letter I got from TSA stated ALL must show real ID (or acceptable) to guard
Requiring CLEAR subscribers to present REAL ID's or other acceptable form of identifications to the TSA document checkers would destroy the CLEAR business model of offering an alternative identification verification at the entry to TSA security checkpoints. That would have to be disclosed in their SEC filings. The only reference to REAL ID in Clear Secure Inc.'s most recent SEC report, dated June 7, 2021, is that the implementation of REAL ID may reduce the number of travelers with compliant forms of identification and thus may negatively impact the demand for their airport services.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.