Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

Global Entry Renewal Information and Processing Timelines

Old Sep 7, 2015, 8:03 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: 5khours
Messages posted in this thread between 2013 and 2018 have been archived and can now be found in the following thread:

Archived: Global Entry Renewal [2013-2018]

Global Entry Reapplication / Renewal (required every 5 years)

You can proactively initiate the renewal process before you get your expiration notification from DHS, which seem to be going out to your email address of record a few months prior to expiry.

You may reapply for Global Entry renewal as early as one year prior to your membership expiration date; your new GE expiration date will be five years from your next birthday.

The amount of time for approval of applications varies from as little as 1-2 days to as long as several months. The reason for this is unclear. Please be patient. If you renew before expiration, your GE benefits will continue until your renewal is approved/rejected, for up to 24 months after expiration.
__________________________________________________ ______________________________________

Important:

1) If you allow your Global Entry status to expire, even by one day, you will need to submit a new application.

Contrary data points: three people (two of whom are minors) had their GE expire in July/August/October 2021. Renewed in March/April 2022 with full approval (no interview required) within 48 hours.

2) If you cancel a scheduled interview, your application will be canceled. So, instead of canceling an appointment date for the interview, just reschedule it.
Your Global Entry expiration date will show when you register and sign in to the new Trusted Traveler Program website https://ttp.cbp.dhs.gov/ If you can renew, you will see a white on blue "RENEW" radio button.

Reapplication requires filling out an application form essentially de novo, including listing citizenship or residency documents, whether your driver's license is EDL conforming, aliases or "AKAs", new jobs or address changes since application, all countries visited the last five years (the form sorts them alphabetically, and does not request date or year of visit) and payment of $100 (for five years of GE renewal).

Please don't forget some credit cards will give you credit for PreCheck application or renewal, $85, or for Global Entry etc. renewal, $100, every five years (Barclay Aviator Silver, Capital One Venture, Venture X, Chase CSR and JPM Reserve, AMEX Marriott Bonvoy Brilliant, American Express Platinum, CNB Crystal, etc.) Interestingly, they may not cover NEXUS, which is $50 - and if you have NEXUS, your GE will be subsumed by NEXUS.

After one to a few weeks, you will likely receive an e-mail informing you action has been taken on your application; you will have to log in to your account to determine what that action has been.

Extension of current Global Entry:

If you submit a renewal application before expiration of your current membership, then you can continue to use your benefits until the renewal is finalized (up to 18 months after your expiration date).
Please note that according to the information the TTP website, the grace period has been extended to 24 months.

Decisions on your application:

1) You may be approved, with no further action on your part necessary; your GE will be extended five years from your next birthdate. For an example of an uncomplicated renewal without requiring an interview, see this post by mre5765.

2) You may receive conditional approval. To receive full approval you must complete the enrollment interview within 365 days of receiving the conditional approval. You still have a hoop or two to jump through.

3) You may have not been approved. See instructions on line to proceed; this information refers to reapplication, not how to appeal or reverse the denial.

If your renewal application takes inordinately long to process or you experience other difficulties, see Frequently Asked Questions or contact or email your questions or request for support through the CBP support portal.

Notification of Conditional Approval:
Global Entry
Aug 28, 2015

WILLISTON, VT
PO BOX 946
Williston, VT 05495
US

JACK FROST
1000 MAIN ST
CENTERVILLE, 02234-5678
US

Re: Your application for the Global Entry Program Membership #"123456789"
Dear "JACK FROST":

We are pleased to inform you that your U. S. Customs and Border Protection, Global Entry membership application has been processed and you are now invited to visit an enrollment center to complete the enrollment process.

In order to finalize your Global Entry enrollment, you need to complete an interview within 365 days of conditional approval, or your application will be cancelled. You can reschedule as often as needed]. To do this, please log in through your TTP Account using the username and password you established when you completed your initial application. Once you have logged in, please schedule your interview using the blue "Schedule Interview" button located on the right side of the screen. If you have already visited the enrollment center for this application, please disregard this letter.

You must bring the following original documents with you to the enrollment center:
  • A valid passport. If you travel using more than one passport, please bring them to the interview so that the information can be added to your file. This provides you with the ability to use either passport at the Global Entry kiosk;
  • A permanent resident card (if applicable);
  • Documents providing evidence of residency. Examples are: driver's license (if the address is current), mortgage statement, rental payment statement, utility bill, etc.
When you visit the Enrollment Center, we will review your application and any additional information you provide at that time. We will verify your identity, review your documentation, and take your fingerprints and photograph. Finally, we will explain the terms and conditions of the Global Entry program and answer any questions or concerns you may have.

Your Global Entry membership number is, "123456789", if your account is approved, this will become your Known Traveler Number for your TSA Pre-Check benefit. For more information on the TSA Pre-Check program please visit their web site at www.tsa.gov/tsa-precheck.

Thank you for applying to the Global Entry Program. If you have any questions, please visit the Global Entry website at www.globalentry.gov. You may also contact the CBP Info Center at (877) 227-5511 or by visiting their website at https://help.cbp.gov.

Respectfully,

(unsigned)

Supervisor, Global Entry Enrollment Center
U.S. Customs and Border Protection

Note: names and numbers used herein are fictitious
You can check the status of your application from your TTP Website dashboard, which is displayed after you login. If you applied through GOES, you can find migration instructions here. Please DO NOT submit a new application as you will be liable for any additional fees incurred per the non-refundable terms and conditions you agree to prior to making payment.

If your application status is "Pending Review" then your application has been received and is being processed. Please note that processing times vary by applicant.

The vetting process cannot be expedited. If you submitted a renewal application before expiration of your current membership, then you can continue to use your benefits until the renewal is finalized (up to 6 months after your expiration date). [Please note that according to the TTP website, the grace period has been extended to 24 months.

[b]After the application has been reviewed, the status will be updated to either "Conditionally Approved" or "Denied" and a letter will be posted in your TTP account with additional information. This letter can be found under Notifications on the Dashboard.

If conditionally approved, you will receive a notification to schedule your interview. It is important that you complete your interview within 365 days of conditional approval. Failure to schedule an interview in that timeframe will cancel your application and you will need to pay again and reapply if you still wish to be a member.

Please note that some Enrollment Centers have a long wait for an interview. Availability is displayed through your TTP account before applying and upon conditional approval. If you have immediate travel plans, please have flexibility in the center that you can visit for the interview. To see where the centers are located see the links below [please go to this [URL="https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/1332/~/i-have-submitted-my-trusted-traveler-application-for-review.-did-cbp-receive-my"]CBP web page for the links.

You should prepare for your appointment as if you were newly applying, with passport, naturalization certificate or whatever you're using to establish qualification as well as documents establishing residency (state driver's license, senior identification, etc.) you will also have your fingerprints and photograph taken.

Be sure to mention anything you've forgotten to list in your application form, and to disclose any incidents such as being arrested (not just if you were found guilty) or Driving Under the Influence - alcohol or any substance - AKA "DUIs" (some posting in this thread report they were asked if they'd been charged with DUI);,these folks access various data bases, at least one of which includes data going back to the 1950s. Some members in this forum have posted they had trouble or were initially denied for not mentioning those incidents, even juvenile records that should have been expunged.

If your reapplication is approved, you will generally be notified quickly.

Your Global Entry Program Number / TT# and your PASSID will not change.

Longest wait for renewal (already renewed)
360 days - 5khours (August 2023 approval; no interview); applied 08/19/22, approved 8/14/23
334 days - (ms)jmd001 (Oct 2020 approval; no interview); specifically 11/20/2019 to 10/19/2020
313 days - (ms)arollins (Dec 2020 approval; no interview); applied 02/02/20, approved 12/11/20
313 days - RandomNobody Applied Mar 30 2022, approved Feb 6 2023, no interview.
311 days - Stanj (Nov. 2020 approval)
310 days - solosf (Nov. 2020 approval)
309 days - drewguy (Nov. 2020 approval)
305 days - BTA daughter (Nov. 2020 approval)
294 days - CaptainMiles (August 2020 approval, no interview)
292 days - topcat_dcx (July 2020 approval)
292 days - gig103 (Aug 2020 approval, no interview)
263 days - phillapkin (June 2020 approval)
256 days - DCDuo (Feb. 2020 approval)
224 days - Smartguy35 (8/23/19 to 4/3/20)
223 days - N104UA (8/22/19 to 4/1/20)
222 days - cheltzel (11/4/2019 applied, 6/12/2020 approval, no interview)
212 days - Matthew330Ci (8/1/2019 applied, 2/26/2020 approval, no interview)
211 days - aerokitty (Feb. 2020 approval, no interview)
207 days - Mrs. Flaneurs (Feb 2020, interview required)
197 days - mgalisa (Jan. 2020 approval)

Longest active waits for renewal
6/3/19 - Marcky
6/26/19 - Mearagirl
7/3/19 - mctaste

Print Wikipost

Old Dec 27, 2018, 8:33 am
Original Poster

Programs: united airlines

I believe that my Global Entry is about to expire tomorrow, which is my birthday. (Does Global Entry cue up with birthdays, as drivers licenses do?) So want to renew without delay, but can't navigate website and get it accomplished, and with government shutdown, no CBP helpline. (Any point in heading to airport in hope off help from live persons there?)

I think I got stuck when a "password" was called for. I was to create a new password for what would reason? Don't think I ever set up a <login.gov> account before, so I was to create a new one for use there with my email address in effect the username? (I was offered the opportunity to use their suggested password, a thoroughly random long scramble of letters and numbers.) Confused, because later came to another request for password and opportunity to create one, with no guidelines as to what was allowable in terms of number of characters, caps or not, symbols or not, etc. How many passwords in all and to what purpose? Do I need or can I use any info from the GE card I think I have somewhere around the house?

What are all the acronyms (e.g., "GOES") I see? Which pertain to what I am after, namely GE renewal?

How many $$$ to renew? How much if deadline passes, and will they grant extension because of shutdown?

Any help will be appreciated.

(That CBP helpline is unavailable because of government shutdown, but critical parts of the agency go on operating?)

Last edited by itsme; Dec 27, 2018 at 10:35 am
Old Jan 2, 2019, 6:32 pm

Programs: United GS, Marriott Titanium, HHonors Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by itsme
I believe that my Global Entry is about to expire tomorrow, which is my birthday. (Does Global Entry cue up with birthdays, as drivers licenses do?) So want to renew without delay, but can't navigate website and get it accomplished, and with government shutdown, no CBP helpline. (Any point in heading to airport in hope off help from live persons there?)

I think I got stuck when a "password" was called for. I was to create a new password for what would reason? Don't think I ever set up a <login.gov> account before, so I was to create a new one for use there with my email address in effect the username? (I was offered the opportunity to use their suggested password, a thoroughly random long scramble of letters and numbers.) Confused, because later came to another request for password and opportunity to create one, with no guidelines as to what was allowable in terms of number of characters, caps or not, symbols or not, etc. How many passwords in all and to what purpose? Do I need or can I use any info from the GE card I think I have somewhere around the house?

What are all the acronyms (e.g., "GOES") I see? Which pertain to what I am after, namely GE renewal?

How many $$$ to renew? How much if deadline passes, and will they grant extension because of shutdown?

Any help will be appreciated.

(That CBP helpline is unavailable because of government shutdown, but critical parts of the agency go on operating?)
GOES used to be the site that you registered for Global Entry at. It's been replaced by the new Trusted Traveler program site: https://ttp.cbp.dhs.gov/ . My Global Entry was indeed scheduled to expire on my birthday (although, noted above, application for the NEXUS program supercedes Global Entry expiration).

You'll need to sign up for a new login ID at login.gov. If you have your 9-digit GOES number (also called a PASSID), that will help them connect the accounts.

Global Entry is $100, but if you have some premium credit cards, your credit card will give you a credit for the renewal fee.

The login site appears to be buggy right now - I just tried logging in with my existing ID, and I keep getting an error message that the server is down and to try again later... so there could be some lingering shutdown issues.
Old Jan 6, 2019, 10:04 am

Originally Posted by iamflyer
Applied for renewal - 12/18
Approved - 12/22

Much faster than expected and no interview required.
Wow some people are getting approved super fast. I applied on 11/28 and have yet to have anything yet.
Old Jan 8, 2019, 1:47 pm

Programs: AA Gold Elite
MY TSA precheck expires 2/12/2019 but my GE expires on my birthday in April. Applied for renewal a few days before Christmas but with the current shutdown my application is still pending. Not flying until March 1 but at the worst I may not get TSA recheck on my boarding pass if I am not automatically renewed before March 1.
Oh well.
When I first applied for GE in 2014 I could not find any place to do the interview so just settled on getting TSA precheck and later got GE. Had hoped to renew GE before my TSA precheck expires next month but who knows if that will happen.
Old Jan 8, 2019, 2:20 pm

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Originally Posted by sweetsleep
MY TSA precheck expires 2/12/2019 but my GE expires on my birthday in April. Applied for renewal a few days before Christmas but with the current shutdown my application is still pending. Not flying until March 1 but at the worst I may not get TSA recheck on my boarding pass if I am not automatically renewed before March 1.
Oh well.
When I first applied for GE in 2014 I could not find any place to do the interview so just settled on getting TSA precheck and later got GE. Had hoped to renew GE before my TSA precheck expires next month but who knows if that will happen.
Your GE enables you as a trusted traveler to have PreCheck. Make sure your airline profiles use your GE number. Why would you care to renew the PreCheck when GE serves the same function for TSA purposes?
Old Jan 8, 2019, 2:36 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by 747FC
Your GE enables you as a trusted traveler to have PreCheck. Make sure your airline profiles use your GE number. Why would you care to renew the PreCheck when GE serves the same function for TSA purposes?
I agree that Global Entry membership is more useful than TSA PreCheck. However, GE is tied to the passport number. There is no need for having the KTN in one's PNR in order to use a GE kiosk, it is, though needed in order to receive the PreCheck designation on a boarding pass.
Old Jan 8, 2019, 4:14 pm

Programs: COdbaUA Platinum 2MM
Oh well.
Since you started renewing your Global Entry prior to expiration date, you have up to six months from expiration date to complete the process. You are very likely to receive TSA PreCheck on 1 March 2019.
TWA884 likes this.
Old Jan 8, 2019, 8:17 pm

Programs: AA Gold Elite
Thanks for the helpful replies about my TSA recheck expiring prior to GE. When I first applied for GE there was no office in my city and getting an appointment anywhere had very lengthy waits. I settled at first for just getting TSA precheck for an upcoming trip and later did get GE when I could finally get an appointment.
Thanks for the suggestion to make sure I put my GE info on my passenger profile instead of my TTN with TSA recheck. Will see if that works.
Old Jan 8, 2019, 8:53 pm

Thanks for the helpful replies about my TSA recheck expiring prior to GE. When I first applied for GE there was no office in my city and getting an appointment anywhere had very lengthy waits. I settled at first for just getting TSA precheck for an upcoming trip and later did get GE when I could finally get an appointment.
Thanks for the suggestion to make sure I put my GE info on my passenger profile instead of my TTN with TSA recheck. Will see if that works.
Your Known Traveler Number/PASS ID # should also be in your reservation itself. Sometimes KTN does not auto populate into your reservation.
747FC likes this.
Old Jan 8, 2019, 9:35 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Starwood Gold
Anyone able to report renewal reviews/approvals during the government shutdown? What happens if expiration occurs while review is still pending (in the case the shutdown lasts months or longer)?
Old Jan 9, 2019, 6:09 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 100% Green
Anyone able to report renewal reviews/approvals during the government shutdown? What happens if expiration occurs while review is still pending (in the case the shutdown lasts months or longer)?
We have a thread discussing the effect of the government shutdown on Global Entry applications processing timelines. Most of the information there should be applicable to renewal applications.

As long as you put in your application for renewal before the expiration date, you will continue to receive Global Entry benefits for six months following the expiration date pending conditional and final approvals.

Sorry, I'm in flight and on my phone, so I'm unable to readily post links to the other thread and the relevant DHS web page.

Last edited by TWA884; Jan 9, 2019 at 10:55 am Reason: Fat fingers
Old Jan 9, 2019, 10:47 am

Originally Posted by TWA884
We have a thread discussing the effect of the government shutdown on Global Entry applications processing timelines. Most of the information there should be applicable to renewal applications.

As long as you put in your application for renewal before the expiration date, you will comticonto receive Global Entry benefits for six months following the expiration date pending conditional and final approvals.

Sorry, I'm in flight and on my phone, so I'm unable to readily post links to the other thread and the relevant DHS web page.
This is the thread you are referring to: Global Entry Enrollment Centers Closed due to US Government Shutdown.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 10:53 am

Originally Posted by 1KChinito
Thanks. Just got home after a 13 hours long flight.

Here is the DHS page:
When will my membership expire and how soon can I renew my membership?

If you submit a renewal application before expiration of your current membership, then you can continue to use your benefits until the renewal is finalized (up to 6 months after your expiration date).
Old Jan 11, 2019, 9:28 pm

Programs: UA/*A Gold, Global Entry, Marriott Plat, Hilton+IHG Gold, Hertz PC, DL
Originally Posted by iamflyer
Applied for renewal - 12/18
Approved - 12/22

Much faster than expected and no interview required.
i applied for renewal the day after you. i'm still yet to hear anything back.

to be fair, i visited numerous countries in the past few years that probably raise red flags. i'm fully expecting to have to interview.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 12:45 am

Programs: DL Silver, Avis President's Club, Hertz President's Circle, Global Entry (Former AA Plt/Gold)
Are interviews generally required for renewals? My wife is probably safe, with a July expiration, but it got me wondering today if she should even fill out the renewal application while the centers are shut down.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.