Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

Global Entry - Dual Citizenship

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Global Entry - Dual Citizenship

Search this Thread

Old Nov 29, 2016, 5:33 am

I agree, dual citizenship allowed by US law but the enter/exit the the United States on their US passport. In interview, what kind of qualification looking for the person apart from documents?
Old Nov 29, 2016, 8:57 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by johnsonannabel42
I agree, dual citizenship allowed by US law but the enter/exit the the United States on their US passport. In interview, what kind of qualification looking for the person apart from documents?
Huh?
Old Nov 29, 2016, 9:02 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, Ua Gold, GE.. Sucker for punishment
So I enter/exit the USA with GE on my LPR (Aussie citizen).
No worries.
Old Dec 1, 2016, 1:02 pm

Programs: BA Gold (OWE), Star Alliance Gold, Hilton Diamond
I can confirm if you already have global entry. You can add more than one passport from a global entry, sentri or nexus country to your global entry account.

I originally applied under my British passport but now have a Canadian passport as well. I was able to add the Canadian one at an enrolment centre and my goes account shows both passport 1 and 2 as enrolled.
Old Apr 4, 2017, 4:24 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, UA 1K MM, SPG Plat For Life, Marriott Plat, Nexus/GlobalEntry
I am a dual US/Canadian citizen however I've never lived in Canada (mother was born in Canada). However I recently obtained my certificate of Canadian citizenship and a Canadian passport. Not for any particular need..I just thought it would be kind of cool and I might as well officially memorialize my dual citizenship.

Per the last post in this thread it seems the only way to add another passport to my NEXUS/GE account is to do it at an enrollment center. There is no way to do it online that I can see. Anyone know for sure? Thanks!
Old Apr 28, 2017, 8:08 am

Originally Posted by SEA1K4EVR
I am a dual US/Canadian citizen however I've never lived in Canada (mother was born in Canada). However I recently obtained my certificate of Canadian citizenship and a Canadian passport. Not for any particular need..I just thought it would be kind of cool and I might as well officially memorialize my dual citizenship.

Per the last post in this thread it seems the only way to add another passport to my NEXUS/GE account is to do it at an enrollment center. There is no way to do it online that I can see. Anyone know for sure? Thanks!
I did not add my other passport online when I applied for GE as my other passport requires visa when traveling to US. Officer asked me if I'm a dual citizen and requested my other passport. She made a copy and no other questions asked. I verified my GOES account and it has the updated info now.
Old Apr 28, 2017, 12:27 pm

Originally Posted by SEA1K4EVR

If you have NEXUS, the best would be to phone Canadian Processing Centre

800-842-7647 - M - F - 8:30 am to 4:30 pm ET

http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/prog/nexu....html#info-reg

they should be able to provide correct advice
Old Feb 28, 2018, 8:10 pm

I applied Feb1 with my 1 year old child and wife. I was conditionally approved Feb 3 but had to wait until feb 18 for them to be conditionally approved. Had my interview at IAH on Feb 21.
For those who have 2 nationalities please put them all in the application and bring all passports with you. The officer during the interview was very rude with me and when my wife took the passports back another officer told her that was unnecessary as we will only enter the US with US passports. Still depends on the officer. I am still waiting. My application still shows as conditionally approved. I am getting nervous that will not get it despite them telling me I was approved its weird that my status still haven't changed. Any suggestions ?
Old Feb 28, 2018, 9:31 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by Mglngl
My application still shows as conditionally approved. I am getting nervous that will not get it despite them telling me I was approved its weird that my status still haven't changed. Any suggestions ?
There are numerous reports in the Global Entry - processing time thread of the interviewing officer neglecting to click on the final approval button. Call the enrollment center where you had your interview.
Old Mar 24, 2018, 6:23 pm

Originally Posted by flyertalkzork

Interview today. Approved. Very laid back, asked to see passport, didn't ask to see license, and only asked two questions.
1) Why do you want Global Entry?
2) Convicted of any crimes.

Did not bring up dual nationality

My my partner and I were interviewed together. 10 mins total.

Approval emails came within 30 mins.

To be fair, the main reason you did not encounter an obstacle with not including your dual nationality on the application -- despite the general suggestions to include it -- is because you were not born in the UK.

If you had been born in the UK, the CBP officer at the interview likely would have noticed your place of birth and asked for your UK passport (examples of sources: (1), (2), (3), (4), etc., friend's anecdote), at which point one of these scenarios might have taken place:

- you say you don't have it with you, and the CBP officer potentially delays final approval until you bring it in

- you say you don't possess a valid UK passport, and the CBP officer instructs you that if you ever possess or renew a UK passport, to bring it to a Global Entry office

- (assuming you would have naturalized into US citizenship and neither parent was US citizen) you remind the CBP officer that as part of the US naturalization oath, you renounced your UK citizenship and are no longer a UK citizen or entitled to a UK passport in both the US government's eyes and your own eyes

Last edited by Newbie2FT; Mar 24, 2018 at 6:30 pm
Old Mar 24, 2018, 9:01 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Newbie2FT
To be fair, the main reason you did not encounter an obstacle with not including your dual nationality on the application -- despite the general suggestions to include it -- is because you were not born in the UK.

If you had been born in the UK, the CBP officer at the interview likely would have noticed your place of birth and asked for your UK passport (examples of sources: (1), (2), (3), (4), etc., friend's anecdote), at which point one of these scenarios might have taken place:

- you say you don't have it with you, and the CBP officer potentially delays final approval until you bring it in

- you say you don't possess a valid UK passport, and the CBP officer instructs you that if you ever possess or renew a UK passport, to bring it to a Global Entry office

- (assuming you would have naturalized into US citizenship and neither parent was US citizen) you remind the CBP officer that as part of the US naturalization oath, you renounced your UK citizenship and are no longer a UK citizen or entitled to a UK passport in both the US government's eyes and your own eyes
Non-US place of birth does not equate to dual nationality. "According" to Wikipedia, jus soli is only followed by a minority number of countries.

IME, dual nationality never came up on my GE, NEXUS, and interview-not-required NEXUS renewal where place of birth is not US or Canada and dual nationality not listed on application.
Old Mar 25, 2018, 1:26 am

Originally Posted by seawolf
Non-US place of birth does not equate to dual nationality. "According" to Wikipedia, jus soli is only followed by a minority number of countries.

IME, dual nationality never came up on my GE, NEXUS, and interview-not-required NEXUS renewal where place of birth is not US or Canada and dual nationality not listed on application.
?

In practical terms, non-U.S. place of birth does equate to dual nationality for the vast majority of current U.S. citizens who were born outside the U.S. (regardless of jus soli or jus sanguinis), given these numbers:

- between 450,000 and 1 million people were naturalized as U.S. citizens each year between 2001 and 2010 (source)

- only about 50,000 Consular Reports of Birth Abroad were issued each year on average between 2000 and 2009 (source)

- fewer than 70,000 Certificate of Citizenship applications are processed each year by USCIS (source)

- less than 0.2% of the world population is born stateless (source 1, source 2)

As you can see, relatively few current U.S. citizens who were born outside the U.S. were (processed as) U.S. citizens at birth, and an exceedingly small portion of them were born stateless without any citizenship at all.

Now, some number of those countries theoretically may not permit their citizens to also become citizens of another country and theoretically the original citizenship might become void. But since it is no longer diplomatic practice for the U.S. government to notify foreign governments when one of their citizens naturalizes in the U.S., and many of these governments do not investigate each of their citizens overseas, many of these individuals wind up retaining their former citizenships and even passports.

In addition, some portion of the people receiving a Consular Report of Birth Abroad or Certificate of Citizenship may be the children of "mixed marriages" between a U.S. citizen and a non-U.S. citizen, and received a second citizenship at birth, or may be adopted by U.S. citizens (same result).

(And needless to say given the context of this thread, I'm discussing U.S. citizens applying for Global Entry here, as opposed to purely U.K./South Korea/Argentina/India/etc citizens or U.S. LPRs.)

And if you want to rely on personal anecdotes, I personally know a naturalized citizen who was asked during the TTP interview for the 'other', unlisted passport, which matches up with data points on FT I linked above and other data points.

Last edited by Newbie2FT; Mar 25, 2018 at 3:24 am
Old Mar 25, 2018, 6:43 am
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
How many of those US naturalized are stateless? 0.02% of world population is about 1.4 million.

Out of the four FT data points you provided when responding to flyertalkzork, one was hearsay (what FT member over heard something about a “fancy” passport”), one was flyertalkzork’s own successful experience about dual nationality never coming up and the other two does not support CBP delaying final approval.

So not sure how you can conclude CBP would/could delay final approval if applicant didn’t bring other passport when NONE of the data points you quoted supported or even suggested that CBP course of action.
Old Mar 25, 2018, 7:11 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Some US dual-citizens get asked about dual-citizenship at the GE “interview” and sime do not. And it’s not just the foreign-born US dual-citizens asked about other citizenships and non-US passports, but more so they do get asked this than other US citizens during the “interview”. US-born citizens listing foreign residence history may also get asked this, even those who are US-born US citizens without dual-citizenship. Most times the GE “interviews” are conducted by people with little to no in-depth understanding of the actual foreign citizenship laws and history of such with regard to most non-US-born applicants, as it can be a complicated situation that has been anything but static — so usually they seem to take the applicants’ word for things in response to such questions about dual-citizenship and foreign passports.

Note: it’s possible for some US citizens to legally have non-US passports of sorts without being US dual-citizens, but I’ve not encountered that being asked as part of the GE “interview” questions..
Old Mar 25, 2018, 8:14 am

It seems there is a lot of variability in terms of Global Entry interviews, what they ask, and what they don't ask.

The only other data point I can add is that - I typically get an "X" when coming back into the country. On my last entry, I asked if this was because I now have a beard (vs no beard in passport photo), or if it was something else. The border agent said it was probably due to a common name - but he also mentioned I was a dual national. That struck me as strange, as I've never shared this with the US government before. Obviously the UK/USA share nationality information. One of my reasons for getting Global Entry was to hopefully avoid this in the future (or, at the very least, have a dedicated agent to talk to if I do get an X).

So, when I went for my interview last week, I fully expected to be questioned about my dual nationality. I brought my British passport just in case. As mentioned, the customs/border agent barely asked my partner and I any questions. He was very friendly, took our fingerprints, photos, and that was basically it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.