Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

Global Entry - Dual Citizenship

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Global Entry - Dual Citizenship

Search this Thread

Old May 8, 2022, 3:01 am

Adding British Naturalisation to Existing Global Entry

Hello,

Situation
- American by birth and application in process for British Naturalisation.
- Already have GE for many years
- I see lots of advice for new GE applications for dual nationals, have found none for existing GE and getting additional citizenship
- Also see lots of advice for naturalised Americans, but much less information related to American born and naturalised elsewhere

1) Would be curious to hear any experiences for people in this situation. Given the number of Americans in the UK, I expect there are a few.
2) Is it a requirement to provide UK passport information to the USA for this scenario? I ask because I have seen conflicting information that ranges from CBP only cares that you carry your American passport and doesn't care about secondary citizenship... to recommendation that you should write a letter to the Embassy about naturalisation.
3) If it is a requirement, how do you go about doing this? The TTP website?

Thanks for any information you have.
Old May 9, 2022, 10:16 am

Ok - I’ve read through this entire thread and I don’t think I have seen my question addressed. Recent naturalized US citizen, birth citizenship UK. Have valid US passport but my UK passport is currently stuck in limbo at the UK passport office since it’s being renewed. Would it be best when applying for Global Entry to

1) apply mentioning both citizenships, and when I get called for interview bring both passports or if I haven’t got the UK one back, simply explain.

or

2) just not include the UK one and if it comes back before my interview simply take it with me.

or

3) just wait to apply for GE until I have the UK passport in hand?

3) would probably be best but I was hoping that I could get Global Entry before my next overseas trip in September.

Sorry if this question has been asked and answered - I saw some things that were related but they were also several years old.

Edit: and having just checked processing times I think this question is moot. It seems vanishingly unlikely that I would anywhere with this before September.

Last edited by missionpa; May 9, 2022 at 11:38 am
Old May 9, 2022, 10:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by steven_z
Hello,

Situation
- American by birth and application in process for British Naturalisation.
- Already have GE for many years
- I see lots of advice for new GE applications for dual nationals, have found none for existing GE and getting additional citizenship
- Also see lots of advice for naturalised Americans, but much less information related to American born and naturalised elsewhere

1) Would be curious to hear any experiences for people in this situation. Given the number of Americans in the UK, I expect there are a few.
2) Is it a requirement to provide UK passport information to the USA for this scenario? I ask because I have seen conflicting information that ranges from CBP only cares that you carry your American passport and doesn't care about secondary citizenship... to recommendation that you should write a letter to the Embassy about naturalisation.
3) If it is a requirement, how do you go about doing this? The TTP website?

Thanks for any information you have.
First, Welcome to FlyerTalk!

I've never seen anywhere in GE the application / renewal where it requires one to declare all citizenships. There is certainly a place to declare multiple citizenships, but I've not seen where that is a requirement. (I know some will disagree with me.) I'd further maintain that if one is a US citizen one must enter the US on their US passport and so declaration of an additional citizenship that can and will never be used to enter the US would seem to be superfluus.

So, in my opinion...

2 -- No
3 -- There is a part of the application where you can add additional citizenships.
Old Jan 28, 2023, 4:45 am

Programs: *A "Top 1000 2015", FB Lifetime Plat.; BA Silver; Ma; Hilton Diamond.rriott Gold
I can't see this situation has been covered in this thread: in summer 2018 I applied for and got GE on a UK passport. In 2019 I obtained German citizenship in addition. Can I wait til GE renewal to declare this second citizenship? Or should I declare this now? Seems to be not possible online, but I could try doing this at the DC office after I've arrived on an upcoming trip to the US (or possibly at EWR or IAD). I have a current ESTA which has my German citizenship on it so I have declared it. Commonsense tells me I can wait til renewal, but commonsense doesn't always apply ;-).
Old Jan 28, 2023, 12:22 pm

Originally Posted by Leedsflyer
I can't see this situation has been covered in this thread: in summer 2018 I applied for and got GE on a UK passport. In 2019 I obtained German citizenship in addition. Can I wait til GE renewal to declare this second citizenship? Or should I declare this now? Seems to be not possible online, but I could try doing this at the DC office after I've arrived on an upcoming trip to the US (or possibly at EWR or IAD). I have a current ESTA which has my German citizenship on it so I have declared it. Commonsense tells me I can wait til renewal, but commonsense doesn't always apply ;-).
​​​​​​​I had my nexus revoked for not telling them about my UK passport which I obtained after GETTING NEXUS. Originally just Canadian citizen. Tell them ASAP
Old Jan 29, 2023, 1:43 pm

Programs: *A "Top 1000 2015", FB Lifetime Plat.; BA Silver; Ma; Hilton Diamond.rriott Gold
Originally Posted by Varus50
​​​​​​​I had my nexus revoked for not telling them about my UK passport which I obtained after GETTING NEXUS. Originally just Canadian citizen. Tell them ASAP
argh. Thanks. Can I do this by phone/remotely or only at a centre? Or should I not use the automated lane when I next visit the US but go to an manned gate?
Xyzzy likes this.
Old Jan 31, 2023, 3:01 pm

Originally Posted by Leedsflyer
argh. Thanks. Can I do this by phone/remotely or only at a centre? Or should I not use the automated lane when I next visit the US but go to an manned gate?
You're probably fine still using the automated gated (your choice lol) but I'd go to a centre ASAP to have them add your other passport. Don't know if you can do it remotely. I had mine revoked at a centre when I was applying for an APAC card.
Old Feb 1, 2023, 3:07 am

You're probably fine still using the automated gated (your choice lol) but I'd go to a centre ASAP to have them add your other passport. Don't know if you can do it remotely. I had mine revoked at a centre when I was applying for an APAC card.
I already did this once in the Autumn before I thought about this issue lol. And I have told them about the 2nd Citizenship via my recent ESTA so they do know about it though I can imagine it's possible the ESTA system doesn't talk to the GE system ;-). Probably I'll see what the queue is like as I immigrate and if not too long, then I'll go manual, otherwise I'll do automated and declare in DC. Or maybe I can still use the GE machine and talk to the officer as I give them the printout (can't remember from last time at EWR* if there was a person to give the printout to or whether there was an e-gate where it got scanned.

*EWR rather than IAD direct because I want to be sure to get my 4 segments in for this year. Almost certainly I will be back again but in these uncertain travel times...
Old Feb 12, 2023, 12:47 pm

I used an automated gate but did ask the officer I handed my slip of paper to. They didn't seem particularly concerned but recomended I try to do it online (you can't) or go to an office. I tried calling the DC office but just got an automated message so went along in person. I got seen within 2 mins of arriving and they just entered the new passport details in without a hint of being "told off". All sorted now .
Old Feb 15, 2023, 9:43 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Exclamation Moderator's Note

For indexing and future search purposes, posts discussing Varus50's NEXUS revocation were moved to the relevant thread.Please continue discussing that issue in the linked thread.

Thank you,

TWA884
Travel Safety/Security co-moderator

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.