Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

Global Entry - Dual Citizenship

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Global Entry - Dual Citizenship

Search this Thread

Old Jul 31, 2016, 9:10 pm

Programs: 1 thousand
Originally Posted by LondonElite
While probably well-intentioned, you are talking nonsense. This statement is incorrect.

There are some countries that require their citizens to enter with that country's passport, but this is not universally the case. The most obvious example (and I'm surprised you missed this) is citizens of member countries of the EU, who may, under many circumstances, have acquired a second EU citizenship. They may enter any EU country using any of their EU passports. Just one example but there are many.
Not entirely correct. Polish law could be interpreted as requiring polish citizens to enter using a Polish ID/Passport, regardless of Poland being an EU member. (In practice they probably don't know/care, but that doesn't change what the law says.)
Old Aug 1, 2016, 4:03 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by televisor
Not entirely correct. Polish law could be interpreted as requiring polish citizens to enter using a Polish ID/Passport, regardless of Poland being an EU member. (In practice they probably don't know/care, but that doesn't change what the law says.)
Is this the case or just a hypothetical example? (I honestly don't know).

My point was that the blanket statement "if you are a citizen of country X, you may only enter X using your X passport" is incorrect. It is (famously) true of the US but not universally true.
Old Aug 1, 2016, 8:38 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Moderator's Note: Please let's get back on topic

Please let's get back on topic, that is Global Entry for applicants who have dual citizenship.

Thank you,

TWA884
Travel Safety/Security co-moderator
Old Aug 1, 2016, 9:15 pm

Programs: DL,UA,AA,F9,NK,B6
Originally Posted by downinit
For those with dual citizenship, did you acknowledge this during the application/interview?
In the application, I mentioned all my citizenships, but when I came for the interview, they only checked my U.S. passport.

Needless to say, I was approved for the Global Entry.
Old Aug 2, 2016, 9:33 am

Originally Posted by greglvnv
Me: Would you like to see my Polish passport as well?
CBP: No, just the US one. We don't recognize dual nationality and you have to use your US passport to enter the US.
I was told the exact opposite. I was asked if I brought my second passport. When i told him it was expired he said if I renewed it I should add the information to my online profile.
Old Aug 2, 2016, 10:20 am

Programs: Amex, JPMR, Nexus
Originally Posted by jamesinclair
I was told the exact opposite. I was asked if I brought my second passport. When i told him it was expired he said if I renewed it I should add the information to my online profile.
That's inconsistent.
Logically though if you are a US citizen and GE is to enter the US, you have to use your US passport, not a foreign one.
Old Aug 2, 2016, 10:47 am

That's inconsistent.
Logically though if you are a US citizen and GE is to enter the US, you have to use your US passport, not a foreign one.
Very true about the passport for entering, but I can imagine the CBP still wanting all the information they can get about you (since you might travel to other countries on that other passport, and they'd obviously prefer to be able to easily cross reference travel).
Old Aug 2, 2016, 10:52 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I would think that CBP would want to see the other passport(s) covering at least the last five years to check whether you reported all countries to which you have traveled.

Last edited by MSPeconomist; Aug 3, 2016 at 11:40 am Reason: typo
Old Aug 2, 2016, 1:44 pm

Programs: Amex, JPMR, Nexus
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
i would think that CBP would want to see the other passport(s) covering at least the last five years to check whether you reported all countries to which you have traveled.
Very true but I suspect that CBP somehow has that information already without looking at any passport. I believe they have all passport holders cross-referenced and an access to international flight bookings, which gives them the complete picture. Otherwise, they would not know where anyone is at any given time.
Old Aug 2, 2016, 7:05 pm

Very true but I suspect that CBP somehow has that information already without looking at any passport. I believe they have all passport holders cross-referenced and an access to international flight bookings, which gives them the complete picture. Otherwise, they would not know where anyone is at any given time.
Not for crossing at land borders, or travel on airlines/train companies/ship transport that doesn't care about sharing data with the CBP. E.g. I have a feeling most European airlines don't share PNRs with CBP unless that itinerary touches the USA. And it's easier to do matching if you have all the passport data, rather than matching based on just the name/DOB (the name could differ across passports).

That said they certainly didn't look through my passport except to find my Visa, so they didn't really care whether I'd visited undeclared countries. But maybe they would want to do that for some people.
Old Aug 3, 2016, 1:38 am

Programs: AA, BA, Admirals, Accor, HHG, Global Entry
That's inconsistent.
That is true. Adding, the GE is now being offered to particular foreign citizens entering the US. You basically have to go through a process through both governments, though.
Either way, this is a privilege, not a right. Adhere to policy and guidelines strictly. Not adding a passport could lose you your membership.
Old Aug 3, 2016, 1:54 am

Programs: AA, BA, Admirals, Accor, HHG, Global Entry
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
i would think that CBP would want to see the other passport(s) covering at least the last five years to check whether you reported all countries to which you have traveled.
The only policy is to be fully open to CBP. People wind up on watch lists for selling a suspected or watched persons sibling a car in private sale or just for being a long-distant cousin of someone you never met. Trust me when I tell all of you who read this..... Cough up nationality and citizenship information. Bring any valid foreign passports. Just because a CBP officer says you don't need it means nothing. Do not be scared. Just understand that something you do to yourself can take all the energy out of you to straighten out.
Also, GE is a privilege, not a right. Whatsoever.
Old Aug 3, 2016, 8:24 am

Programs: Continental OnePass
I had my GE interview this week. I'm a dual citizen (which I declared on my application). I took all my current and old passports with me and they looked at my current passport from each country plus my old non-US passport since I renewed my passport earlier this year.

Being dual didn't seem to present a problem, and was approved in less than 10 minutes.
Old Aug 3, 2016, 11:39 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by meunger11
I'll tell you right now that the TSA knows everything about you, and if you lie about it, they will pretty much automatically disqualify you.

They're disqualifying people who even honestly admit to an arrest 40 years ago, so you better believe they'll DQ you if they catch you lying, or simply omitting information you've "forgotten."
This is a discussion about GE, which is administered by CBP. It has nothing to do with TSA (which handles PreCheck enrollments).
Old Aug 7, 2016, 8:25 pm

Your card will only have 1 citizenship listed. I am dual US-Canadian. My card lists citizenship as U.S. and I am asked to show a Canadian passport when travelling to Canada by land sometimes.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.