Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

Global Entry - Dual Citizenship

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Global Entry - Dual Citizenship

Search this Thread

Old Oct 15, 2012, 9:20 am

Programs: AAdvantage EXP, Gold SPG, Gold HH, Silver Marriott
Naturalization with Global Entry

Hello, I got my Global Entry 3 years ago while being a US resident with a green card.

I have just been naturalized US citizen but I am not sure what to do as I always used the Global Entry kiosks with my green card.

As I do not have anymore a green card, is my global Entry not valid anymore?

I cannot find a place in their site where to update your citizenship.

Thanks for any help!
Old Oct 15, 2012, 9:26 am

Programs: COdbaUA 1K MM, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, GHA Titanium, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
Originally Posted by davidmiami
Hello, I got my Global Entry 3 years ago while being a US resident with a green card.

I have just been naturalized US citizen but I am not sure what to do as I always used the Global Entry kiosks with my green card.

As I do not have anymore a green card, is my global Entry not valid anymore?

I cannot find a place in their site where to update your citizenship.

Thanks for any help!
I think you can update citizenship/passports straight through GOES. If not, I would pop into the local airport GE office and see what they can do.
Old Nov 27, 2012, 2:21 pm

You have to bring both of your passports (old and new) to one of the airport offices to upsate your file. You cannot do this online.
Old Nov 28, 2012, 2:26 pm

Programs: AA EXP & 3MM, Priority Club Plat since 1984
I'm a dual national and an officer in a foreign military.

Dual citizenship, as noted, is certainly allowed. I was not questioned
about my foreign citizenship ever while leaving or entering the country.

My US passport, as noted, always shows me leaving and returning, but not going anywhere. My other citizenship is actually represented by a passport with no stamps at all as it uses a "fast track" swipe card.
Old Feb 5, 2014, 11:40 am

For what it's worth, I was just told on the phone by a supervisor at the official GOES support line that, for Global Entry at least, one doesn't have to disclose dual citizenship. (The issue in this case is our new (U.S.-born) baby, who by the laws of another country is technically a dual citizen, but has no documentation from that country that we could provide to prove it.) According to her, "lots of people who have dual citizenship just list their U.S. citizenship", and since GE is a program for admissibility to the U.S., this is fine.

Even so, the thought of not disclosing the other citizenship still makes me very, very nervous.
Old Feb 5, 2014, 12:01 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat; UA MM Gold; Marriott Lifetime Titanium; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Thumper

Dual citizenship, as noted, is certainly allowed. I was not questioned
about my foreign citizenship ever while leaving or entering the country.

My US passport, as noted, always shows me leaving and returning, but not going anywhere. My other citizenship is actually represented by a passport with no stamps at all as it uses a "fast track" swipe card.
Interesting. I thought service in a foreign military by a U.S. citizen constitutes relinquishment of U.S. citizenship.

Foolish me. They just overlook that so they can ensure they can be entitled to collect taxes from you on your foreign income.

Originally Posted by palefire
For what it's worth, I was just told on the phone by a supervisor at the official GOES support line that, for Global Entry at least, one doesn't have to disclose dual citizenship. (The issue in this case is our new (U.S.-born) baby, who by the laws of another country is technically a dual citizen, but has no documentation from that country that we could provide to prove it.) According to her, "lots of people who have dual citizenship just list their U.S. citizenship", and since GE is a program for admissibility to the U.S., this is fine.

Even so, the thought of not disclosing the other citizenship still makes me very, very nervous.
Not disclosing something you are not asked makes you nervous?

Suggest you relax some.
Old Feb 5, 2014, 12:14 pm

Originally Posted by Always Flyin
Not disclosing something you are not asked makes you nervous?

Suggest you relax some.
I would love to, but in the declaration at the end of the application, you are asked to certify that the information you have provided in the application is "complete". Granted, the employment history section says "You must list all employers for the past 5 years" while the citizenship section does not say "You must list all citizenships". Rationally I agree with you! But we are dealing with CPB, not known for being a rational entity, and where one misstep (or one thing that an officer believes is a misstep, whether or not it is) can leave you banned from the program for life. So I either want to be pretty darn sure this advice is correct, or else I'll wait a year until I get a citizenship certificate back from the second country.... (Huge processing times for that, apparently.)
Old Feb 5, 2014, 12:25 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat; UA MM Gold; Marriott Lifetime Titanium; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by palefire
I would love to, but in the declaration at the end of the application, you are asked to certify that the information you have provided in the application is "complete". Granted, the employment history section says "You must list all employers for the past 5 years" while the citizenship section does not say "You must list all citizenships". Rationally I agree with you! But we are dealing with CPB, not known for being a rational entity, and where one misstep (or one thing that an officer believes is a misstep, whether or not it is) can leave you banned from the program for life. So I either want to be pretty darn sure this advice is correct, or else I'll wait a year until I get a citizenship certificate back from the second country.... (Huge processing times for that, apparently.)
My advice stands.

You are fretting over something you are not being asked.
Old Apr 15, 2014, 11:16 am

Programs: AA 1MM GLD, Hertz #1 Gold, bunch of other programs w/no status
Dual US/German citizen, but German passport expired

I started my GE application on GOES. I have US and German citizenship. I clicked the 'add citizenship' button to add my German citizenship but forgot that my German passport is expired, so I couldn't use it to verify my citizenship in the next application step. It's the only doc I have to verify my German citizenship.

So I figured I'd delete my German citizenship, but when I did that a warning came on the screen saying if I deleted a citizenship I could be denied GE. Not wanting to risk it, I didn't delete my German citizenship from the application.

My new German passport is in process, but could take 4-6 weeks and I'm in a hurry to get conditionally approved as I will have to carefully monitor interview cancellations (at SFO) in order to get final approval before a trip on July 1st.

Any advice? I think I am stuck waiting until my new German passport arrives.
Old Apr 15, 2014, 11:40 pm
Suspended

Programs: A3, AA. Plasticy things! That give me, y'know, Stuff!
Originally Posted by Thumper
Ooo, now that's illegal.
Old Apr 15, 2014, 11:44 pm
Suspended

Programs: A3, AA. Plasticy things! That give me, y'know, Stuff!
Originally Posted by mangoMan
Any advice? I think I am stuck waiting until my new German passport arrives.
No biggie. You just take what you have at the time of the interview.

I actually managed to forget to include one of my citizenships on my GE app and it's never been a problem.
Old Apr 16, 2014, 12:00 am

There's no point in declaring dual citizenship when applying for GE.
Old Apr 18, 2014, 10:15 am

Programs: Hostelworld.com Diamond Plated Platinum
Originally Posted by lazard
What is your reasoning? I am looking for applying. I have Polish and American. I am amazed at how long it takes to get through immigration here in the US compared to the 15 seconds that it takes when I am in Europe. GE would be great...so, disclose, or not?
Old Apr 18, 2014, 10:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EXP, AA-0.41MM, UA-Gold, Ex UA-1K (2006 thru 2015), PMUA-0.95MM, COUA-1.5MM-lite, AF-Silver
Originally Posted by lazard
When you arrive in the USA, use GE, get a secondary, and they find your second passport, you will lose GE because you didn't declare your second citizenship.
Old Apr 18, 2014, 3:36 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by Always Flyin
Interesting. I thought service in a foreign military by a U.S. citizen constitutes relinquishment of U.S. citizenship.
in 1967, in the case of Afroyim v. Rusk, 387 US 253, the United States Supreme Court held that "Congress has no power under the Constitution to divest a person of his United States citizenship absent his voluntary renunciation thereof."

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.