Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

Global Entry Enrollment Interview Experiences and Questions Asked in the Interview

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Global Entry Enrollment Interview Experiences and Questions Asked in the Interview

Search this Thread

Old Jul 14, 2016, 5:19 pm

Programs: AA, BA, Admirals, Accor, HHG, Global Entry
Originally Posted by mikeef
Did they ask anyone else aviation questions? After asking me my name and what I was getting GE for, he asked me something about the airspeed velocity of an unladen swallow?

Mike

Bahahaha
That's the ideal CBPO everyone desires. Knows how to make his day go by!
Old Jul 17, 2016, 12:26 pm

Programs: Delta, JetBlue
Originally Posted by Starfish
Be honest. They may know things you have forgotten! A DUI from the 60's had come up during a friend's interview that he had not disclosed in his application. He was still approved as he admitted it once it came up and explained it was right before he went into service. He really had forgotten it.

If you have any arrests that had been dropped, make sure you bring in documentation that you were not charged. Otherwise, you may need to provide it before you are approved which will delay the process.

I don't think there are any gotchas, they just have access to a lot of information about you (bringing fruit through customs accidentally, etc..).

The one major question I got "have you ever been arrested or convicted of any crime at time since the day you were born". I had not but I have no doubt if I had, he would know the answer.
I have a NY State pistol permit and go through the criminal background check every renewal, so I'd assume I'm gonna be safe there. Should I get the licensing officer's contact from my last renewal 3 years ago? I do know that about 8 years ago my background check was messed up - they mismatched someone who had a drug charge and put a bunch of his info mixed into my report.

Officer said it was weird since there was overlapping dates that helped prove it was an administrative issue. My last renewal went fine so I'm thinking it's fixed. Should I bring this up and potentially complicate things or should I wait and see?

Other than that.. I had one administrative license suspension that is just process when I stopped someone stealing my car out of my driveway. Just part of the process and the suspension was over once they officers filed their reports with the pistol section. Totally fine with my - they needed to focus on the charges for the guy trying to steal my car.

Overall I'm boring. No arrests, haven't ever needed to deal with customs - but want to get GE because my new job will mean a lot more travel.
Old Jul 17, 2016, 8:32 pm

Programs: AA, AS, Marriott
Originally Posted by PeteT
Overall I'm boring. No arrests, haven't ever needed to deal with customs - but want to get GE because my new job will mean a lot more travel.
Don't volunteer information proactively. Answer any questions asked truthfully. You said it yourself, no arrests, customs issues, or criminal issues.
Old Jul 21, 2016, 4:45 pm
Ary

Programs: AA, UA, SW, HH
In my interview, I was asked 3 times if anyone else in my family had GE. I had no idea what the guy was after. Each time, I said 'no' and the last time adding, 'not that I know of'. The questions about brushes with the law or trouble with customs were almost afterthoughts.

He also asked me where I've flown outside the US, and I honestly answered 'nowhere'. But then it came out I'd spent 5 years in the Merchant Marine, and he said, 'oh, you've been out of the country?' To which I answered, 'Yes, but I never flew'. He laughed and said, 'it's ok, you're good'. And I was accepted on the spot.
Old Jul 21, 2016, 6:04 pm

I was asked pretty much no questions. She asked my current address, and in passing, what I did for a living (while waiting on something to load). My wife wasn't asked anything either. Neither of us has travelled internationally recently though.
Old Jul 22, 2016, 9:21 pm

Programs: Delta, JetBlue
I had my interview tonight at JFK. The wait was a bit insane, because they really picked and choose who to take, not really going on arrival or appointment time. I ended up playing dumb asking if I missed getting called and the woman (extremely nice) told me I had t been called even though everyone above me and 4 or 5 below me got called already. She took me next.

So other interesting thing was I got almost no questions. What my job is, travel to Canada or Mexico, any arrests... Nope. Dude next to me got another story. Who he worked for, what kind of materials he uses on construction jobs, how long it takes to do things like install a residential roof. He was there before me, and they hadn't even started the finger prints by the time I left... And I had lots of questions for her!

Guess everyone gets a different experience. Luckily, I'm all approved!
Old Jul 23, 2016, 6:45 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by PeteT
I had my interview tonight at JFK. The wait was a bit insane, because they really picked and choose who to take, not really going on arrival or appointment time. I ended up playing dumb asking if I missed getting called and the woman (extremely nice) told me I had t been called even though everyone above me and 4 or 5 below me got called already. She took me next.

So other interesting thing was I got almost no questions. What my job is, travel to Canada or Mexico, any arrests... Nope. Dude next to me got another story. Who he worked for, what kind of materials he uses on construction jobs, how long it takes to do things like install a residential roof. He was there before me, and they hadn't even started the finger prints by the time I left... And I had lots of questions for her!

Guess everyone gets a different experience. Luckily, I'm all approved!
I can understand questions if the guy works with or has access to explosives.
Old Jul 24, 2016, 1:44 pm

Programs: United MileagePlus
My company sponsored a Mobile Global Entry interview day - they came to our office and ran interviews and fingerprinting all day on site, which was pretty amazing. Took me all of twenty minutes, most of which was walking to the conference room where they were sitting. I don't recall that they asked me any actual questions, but I think this is largely due to my lack of "exotic" travel and surely some profiling. They were likely more confused about why a 12-year-old was sitting in front of them claiming to be a business traveler in her mid-twenties.
Old Jul 27, 2016, 11:17 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Exclamation Moderator's Note:

Questions and answers about documents that are necessary for the Global Entry interview were moved to this thread:
TWA884
Travel Safety/Security co-moderator
Old Jul 27, 2016, 7:45 pm

The countries visited in the last 5 years and the questions from the application about violating laws and arrests. Then some chit chat about future travel plans while waiting your finger prints to go. The whole interview took about 10 mins. Also remember to bring your conditionally approval letter. The CPB officer was really annoyed at the one person that forgot hers.
Old Jul 27, 2016, 11:36 pm

Programs: AA, BA, Admirals, Accor, HHG, Global Entry
Smile

Originally Posted by Klynnnt
The countries visited in the last 5 years and the questions from the application about violating laws and arrests. Then some chit chat about future travel plans while waiting your finger prints to go. The whole interview took about 10 mins. Also remember to bring your conditionally approval letter. The CPB officer was really annoyed at the one person that forgot hers.
Agreed. And for anyone interviewing at PHL, they are extremely friendly and personable. They fly through the interview like crazy.
I was prepared completely and had my letter, but he did nothing but look at it for the number. I cannot imagine it would be met with grief if you forget it and pop up the GOES document on your phone and show it. But, be prepared and have everything together.
Note:
For the unknowing, the letter tells what to to bring with you, and its not a lot. However, the technical wording indicates that you need to bring your documents that prove your residence. I was prepared incase they were very technical and I brought both my DL AND a mortgage statement. He didn't ask to see more than the DL, which I plopped down with my passport and letter at the same time. He was happy with the quickness.

Moderator: Above is also pasted in the documents needed thread as well.
Old Jul 29, 2016, 1:40 pm

I was asked if I brought my second passport (Mexico). I was surprised because I had not mentioned it at all in the application. I told him it had been expired for years and I didnt use it. He said ok, if I did renew it I could add it online.

I was also asked for my proof of address (utility bill) because it is different from my license and NJ no longer sends out change of address license stickers.
Old Aug 1, 2016, 4:18 pm

Programs: Amex, JPMR, Nexus
So here is my full account of what happened at my GE interview at LAS airport today.

I came in about 15 minutes early thinking there would be a wait time. A CBP officer happened to just walk up to the window and she took me right in. The room was small with just two desks but the other officer did not walk in until we were done with the interview.
CBP: Can I see your passport and a drivers license?
Me: Would you like to see my Polish passport as well?
CBP: No, just the US one. We don't recognize dual nationality and you have to use your US passport to enter the US. Are you still currently employed and what do you do for work? Is your address on the drivers license correct?
Me: Yes, I am and yes it is.
CBP: On your application, you indicated that you had one misdemeanor. Do you have your disposition papers?
Me: Yes, this is my expungement letter and this is the order of sealing records.
CBP: I'm not interested in the expungement letter. You realize that for federal purposes, we don't recognize expungements?
Me: Yes, I do.
CBP: For this program, we do not allow any misdemeanors on your record but since it was over 10 years ago, you are still allowed to participate in the program, however you need to realize that any arrest from this point forward will disqualify you from participation.
Me: I understand.
(She made a copy of my order to seal records and gave back the original. Also, I later noticed online that she entered my passport issue date in the application itself. I did not enter it since it was not a mandatory field.)
CBP: Please look at the camera. I'm going to take your picture. Also, please place your fingers on the scanner blah blah.
Your card with arrive in 7 to 10 business days, however you can start using the program as of tomorrow. She went on to explain how to enter the US using the program.

Then I asked her a couple of questions:
1) Should I use my PASSID now or TT from TSA for Pre? She said I can use my TT until it expires and then I can switch to the KTN but there is nothing stopping me from using my PASSID right away and I should not waste my money to renew the TT even though two programs are totally separate.
2) Can I drive into the US from Canada using the Nexus lane? (I knew the answer to this question but wanted to ask anyway. I don't think she gave me the correct info on this one) She said that Nexus is a Canadian program and I need to apply directly with them but if I want to use the Nexus lane into the US for now, I would need to register my vehicle with a Nexus enrollment center. Again, I don't think this was correct info.

So, this was my experience today. Let me share the timeline as well:
7/11 - applied
7/24 - conditionally approved
7/24 - checked for appointments and nothing til 10/03 but I checked it multiple times a day and rescheduled about 5 times before getting the 8/01 interview.
8/01 - Approved

Hope this clarifies the process a bit.
Old Aug 2, 2016, 9:33 am

Originally Posted by greglvnv
Me: Would you like to see my Polish passport as well?
CBP: No, just the US one. We don't recognize dual nationality and you have to use your US passport to enter the US.
I was told the exact opposite. I was asked if I brought my second passport. When i told him it was expired he said if I renewed it I should add the information to my online profile.
Old Aug 3, 2016, 8:20 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Posts discussing whether US citizens who are dual nationals need to disclose their foreign passports when applying or interviewing for Global Entry were moved to this thread:
TWA884
Co-moderator, Travel Safety/Security

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.