Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

Global Entry Enrollment Interview Experiences and Questions Asked in the Interview

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Global Entry Enrollment Interview Experiences and Questions Asked in the Interview

Search this Thread

Old Feb 19, 2016, 4:26 pm

Originally Posted by TheMiz
I have my GE interview Monday ( Feb 22 ) I was told to bring my
Conditional Approval letter and Passport.

Problem is I can't find a Conditional Approval Letter
I have checked to see if it was blocked by a pop up blocker but nothing seems to be blocked.

Has anyone had this problem in the past ?
I'm having the same problem (with an interview on Monday as well). I called in and was told that the letter should be in my GOES message inbox. I told him I didn't have any messages there, he said to print out any page with the PASSID on it (it appears on the site after login) and bring that in.
Old Feb 19, 2016, 4:37 pm

Originally Posted by chrisi1024
I'm having the same problem (with an interview on Monday as well). I called in and was told that the letter should be in my GOES message inbox. I told him I didn't have any messages there, he said to print out any page with the PASSID on it (it appears on the site after login) and bring that in.

They told me to look there too.
They seemed to not believe me and told me to look again and gave me the
GOES website address.
Old Feb 20, 2016, 9:23 pm

Well my Conditional Approval Letter appeared today Feb 20th just in time for my Feb 22nd interview.
Old Feb 21, 2016, 5:05 pm

WWWWW

Last edited by chrisi1024; Aug 11, 2019 at 11:32 am
Old Feb 23, 2016, 8:59 am

Well that is done with and now behind us.

Wife went in first was in for 22 minutes.

The agent that interviewed my wife asked if we had any more questions
I asked about my interview , seems a different agent was to interview me and never bothered to do it.

Well it really ended up not much of an interview , we chatted about all kinds of things I told him I really wanted to go to the Cleveland Ohio office as it was only one hour from home verses a 2 hour 10 minute drive. He explained that Cleveland only does interviews 3 days a week and that is between 11am and 3pm Tuesday,Wednesday and Thursdays, I brought up Cincinnati just in conversation he said its the same as Cleveland and Pittsburgh .

To make my story short, Port Clinton Ohio does interviews 12 hours ago 7 days a week .

Oh I asked my wife why she was in so long what what questions were asked etc. She told the agent when asked about traveling " Oh my husband handles all that " He laughed and asker her about our town then he told her he was from our area , they went to the same school many years apart etc.

One thing I noticed they expire on different YEARS ( on your birthday ) my in 2021 may wifes 2022 not sure why .
Old Feb 23, 2016, 9:21 am

Location: Minneapolis, formerly the shores of Lake Minnetonka
Programs: DL PM (and KM)
Originally Posted by gfunkdave
The failure to disclose the arrest will disqualify you. Telling them you were arrested and convicted of careless driving will not. If they specifically ask what you were initially arrested for (not convicted of), tell them. Honesty first!
Originally Posted by Ebes1099
I wasn't thinking of not disclosing it, I know you have to disclose any convictions in the application process. But technically, what I was arrested for isn't what I was convicted for. And I get the impression that a DWI conviction might disqualify you, but I'm hoping a DWI arrest with only a conviction of a careless driving might not disqualify me.

I'm just worried that if I say I was arrested for a DWI, even if I was never convicted of a DWI that might worry the interviewer into not approving me.

I would assume someone else who's applied has been arrested for something but then never convicted or convicted of a lesser crime. I suppose I'll just apply and go through the process and find out.
Originally Posted by CMK10
I was arrested for something and then never convicted. I went ahead and gave every detail of the arrest and the outcome. Seemed the smartest choice.
Originally Posted by Ebes1099
It seems like most people get asked if they've had any previous arrests or dealings with police officers. I'm considering applying for GE but was pulled over for a DWI a handful of years ago. I ended up getting the conviction reduced to a careless driving, so I don't have a DWI on my record. But if they ask have I been arrested and for what, I'm assuming I should just be honest and tell them I was arrested for a DWI and only convicted of a careless driving. I'm just worried from everything I've read that any mention of a DWI will disqualify me. Anyone else had anything similar?
In case anyone else is thinking of applying and was interested in the outcome of this, I was denied pretty quickly after I submitted my application. An email came back to me saying "You have been convicted and/or arrested for a criminal offense
The disclosed event does not meet the program standards."

Like I had mentioned previously, I was arrested for a DWI back in 2010 and ended up pleading it down to be convicted of a careless driving (which is still a misdemeanor, as would the DWI have been). So I'm not sure which triggered the DQ, but just wanted to post the info in case it helped anyone else save the $100 if they were thinking of applying.
Old Feb 23, 2016, 11:49 am

Programs: AMEX Platinum, Global Entry, Priority Pass, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by TheMiz
One thing I noticed they expire on different YEARS ( on your birthday ) my in 2021 may wifes 2022 not sure why .
I assume that your wife's birthday has already occurred this year, while yours is later this year. One gets five full years of membership after one's first birthday after approval.
Old Feb 23, 2016, 12:44 pm

Originally Posted by 14940674
I assume that your wife's birthday has already occurred this year, while yours is later this year. One gets five full years of membership after one's first birthday after approval.

Yep she just had a birthday in Feb
Old Mar 3, 2016, 8:12 am

Just interviewed at Warwick, RI. They asked me if I had my letter, driver's license, and passport before they let me in from the waiting room. During the interview, they asked if I'd been to Mexico or Canada; had any criminal convictions or customs violations; or had been denied entry to the US for any reasons. They had some computer problems which slowed things down, but we were done in a half hour. They told me to expect final approval to take a few days, but when I got to my office and checked email, I saw the the final approval email had been sent while I was still at the interview.
Old Mar 7, 2016, 3:12 pm

Originally Posted by CMK10
Back in April at CLT they asked me what I did for a living, how many times I traveled out of the country a year, why I wanted GE and to confirm the details of the brush with the law I had in 2008. Simple as that, I was in and out in 10 minutes.
Ha, my wife and I had interviews there around the same time or a bit before IIRC and the guy also asked me about a minor brush with the law from years ago.

Had me sweating bullets actually. He was like, what is this failure to appear I see from 1990? As it turns out AFAIK, I didn't have a failure to appear really, but when I was 19 and living on my own I did have a speeding ticket and could not afford to pay the fine until the next week when it was payday. I went to court and did all the paperwork and told the clerk my story and they said well. Technically it's not allowed but you will be fine,they won't issue warrants for like a month so as long as you come back next week no real issue. Maybe they weren't quite clear on what would actually happen and it was recorded somewhere.

After a few tense moments we got it all worked out and I seemed like I was good to go, but he was not one I could just charm my way through with by joking at all, unlike my Wife's interviewer who was all funny and cool. I was a bit nervous waiting for the email, which I got about an hour later. I had images for a moment of her getting approved and me not, which would kind of Cast a pall on our international travels together.

Otherwise, all the same stuff about where we have been and where we planned on going and why.

Our Viajero Confiable interviews in Mexico were way easier. The interviewer sat us both down at the same time, asked the standard questions, printed us and we were good to go. I got my determination back before my wife this time.
Old Mar 15, 2016, 5:53 pm

First Post

Just wanted to add to the collective wisdom in this thread with regards to Global Entry.

1) Recently got my US passport.
2) Applied for Global Entry with Passport number in hand and paid $100. I am already in TSA Precheck which won't expire for a good couple of years. (Yes I paid the $85...didn't think I would be flying internationally...)
3) Got conditional approval one week after I had initially applied.
4) Scheduled CBP appointment to be done at IAD since that was the earliest I could go and most convenient since I live and work in the DMV area.
5) Went to work early and left early so that I was not stuck in that Beltway traffic. Arrived a couple of hours early.
6) Proceeded to the Global Entry Enrollment Center (instructions were very spot on.)
7) CBP officer (who would be the one to conduct the interview) asked for everyone's passport and driver's license.
8) Saw the video while I waited...the same one with the Asian gentleman getting the business about agricultural items.
9) The CBP officer called my name. Asked questions regarding foreign travel and getting arrested and receiving foreign goods. All were answered in the negative.
10) Took my photo, fingerprints and advised I was getting the email that night whether I was approved or denied.
11) A couple of hours later I was approved.

IAD was relatively quick and painless. As long as you are respectful and just keep it moving, you will get out quickly AND get approved (so long as you are not a criminal, etc.) They will let you get there early BUT I do not know if you can walk in without an appointment. I didn't have to show the letter but I had it. Just answer honestly and make sure you are eligible and you will be fine.

Now I should be really ready for my PHL-LHR journey...I had booked with Delta with my PASS number as my LTN for May. I will give them a call a week before my trip to make sure I get PreCheck.

So...that's my story...looking forward to my new Global Entry ID.
Old Mar 21, 2016, 8:33 pm

Got my Global Entry ID today in the mail. Went to GOES website and activated the card. Now I am set to prepare for that drive to Mexico that will never, ever happen...lmao. I have the world's ugliest photo id picture ever....that CBP guy really didn't give a ----.....

But I am glad that I can use that kiosk thing when I get back from London. This was quick and painless...wish I had my passport earlier but I was just lazy...
Old Mar 28, 2016, 11:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EXP, AA-0.41MM, UA-Gold, Ex UA-1K (2006 thru 2015), PMUA-0.95MM, COUA-1.5MM-lite, AF-Silver
Originally Posted by HaveFaithWillTravel
Got my Global Entry ID today in the mail. Went to GOES website and activated the card. Now I am set to prepare for that drive to Mexico that will never, ever happen...lmao. I have the world's ugliest photo id picture ever....that CBP guy really didn't give a ----.....

But I am glad that I can use that kiosk thing when I get back from London. This was quick and painless...wish I had my passport earlier but I was just lazy...
The Global Entry ID is useful if you are renewing your drivers license and don't have a current one; it gives you a handy photo ID for domestic airport security. While a passport card in theory works just as well, some airline employees are literalists when it comes to the phrase "not for air travel".

The GE card is also useful in Canada for getting TSA Pre-like fast path through airport security. I'm happy to have it.

I've never bothered to use the GE card on land crossings. The rules are too arcane.
Old Apr 28, 2016, 7:00 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, Hyatt Gold, Emerald Club Executive Elite, Global Entry
Originally Posted by mre5765
While a passport card in theory works just as well, some airline employees are literalists when it comes to the phrase "not for air travel".
It's not "in theory", it's third on the list of acceptable ID. Not for air travel means immigration/customs.

https://www.tsa.gov/travel/security-...identification
Old May 1, 2016, 1:42 pm

Programs: Skymiles, HH
I just had mine, and not sure why I needed to go in other than my fingerprints and mug shot. I was only asked to confirm my name, address, and date of birth. They took my prints, picture while she was explaining GOES is a privilege, it can be revoked, and the ID Card is not an Official ID so leave it at home. She commented on how many trips I had taken in the last few years, then told me I was approved and should get my GOES card in the mail in approx. 10 days. It was so uneventful I am glad I had a flight out that day and did not make a special trip into LA for it. I did not get the so called CPB sticker on my Passport many refer to, not sure it makes a difference.

Last edited by Usual Suspect; May 1, 2016 at 1:50 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.