Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

Global Entry - Dual Citizenship

Old Aug 13, 2011, 5:53 am
Original Poster

For those with dual citizenship, did you acknowledge this during the application/interview? I know the USA does not recognize dual citizenship, but I am wondering if either hiding it or mentioning it would cause one to be disqualified. I asked during my interview and he said it would not disqualify, but I wanted to make sure before my friend applies. The non-USA citizenship was obtained by birth, the USA was naturalized. Thank you.
Old Aug 13, 2011, 6:26 am

Dual citizenship is allowed by US law, but US citizens and nationals must always enter/exit the United States on their US passport (well no exit controls in the USA so it is defacto just enter).
Old Aug 13, 2011, 7:45 am

Programs: AC Aeroplan - Elite Status. DL Skymiles - Regular Status
Yes, you must include all countries of citizenship as well as any passports issued to you. AFAIK, the US allows dual citizenship
Old Aug 13, 2011, 8:03 am

Programs: AA LT PLT 4mm / Free Agent / GE / Secret Handshake
Originally Posted by downinit
For those with dual citizenship, did you acknowledge this during the application/interview? I know the USA does not recognize dual citizenship, but I am wondering if either hiding it or mentioning it would cause one to be disqualified. I asked during my interview and he said it would not disqualify, but I wanted to make sure before my friend applies. The non-USA citizenship was obtained by birth, the USA was naturalized. Thank you.
Been there, done that. No problems. No need to let the paranoia control you.

--J
Old Aug 13, 2011, 11:27 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat; UA MM Gold; Marriott Lifetime Titanium; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by alexb133
Yes, you must include all countries of citizenship as well as any passports issued to you.
Then something has changed since the program started. I was neither asked nor volunteered any information on second citizenship.

AFAIK, the US allows dual citizenship
The U.S. does allow dual-triple-quad, etc. citizenship.
Old Aug 13, 2011, 4:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EXP, AA-0.41MM, UA-Gold, Ex UA-1K (2006 thru 2015), PMUA-0.95MM, COUA-1.5MM-lite, AF-Silver
You must disclose all your citizenships.
Old Aug 13, 2011, 4:45 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat; UA MM Gold; Marriott Lifetime Titanium; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by mre5765
Where, specifically?

I just renewed to get my Global Entry card and there was no such question.
Old Aug 13, 2011, 4:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EXP, AA-0.41MM, UA-Gold, Ex UA-1K (2006 thru 2015), PMUA-0.95MM, COUA-1.5MM-lite, AF-Silver
Originally Posted by Always Flyin
Where, specifically?

I just renewed to get my Global Entry card and there was no such question.
If they don't ask you are fine.

When I had my GE application and interrogation, I was asked several times.
Old Aug 13, 2011, 6:23 pm
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

-I know the USA does not recognize dual citizenship, but I am wondering if either hiding it or mentioning it would cause one to be disqualified.
What do you mean by "doesn't recognize"?

If they don't ask you are fine.

When I had my GE application and interrogation, I was asked several times.
Are you an LPR?
Old Aug 14, 2011, 6:10 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Ari
What do you mean by "doesn't recognize"?
Usually taken as: the US government will only recognize a US citizen as a citizen of the US and not accept -- under international (bilateral or multilateral) treaty obligations even when the other country's government wants to approach its own citizens on the basis of an international treaty or the like -- another country's claim of citizenship over that person (at least when) in the US with rights deriving from international treaties or the like.

Last edited by GUWonder; Aug 14, 2011 at 6:16 am
Old Aug 14, 2011, 6:15 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
If asked and if known. But if not, then from where does the obligation to do so arise? What about persons who don't even know all of the countries whose citizenship they hold?
Old Jan 10, 2012, 2:02 pm

Programs: DL GM
So... if I'm reading through this, dual citizenship will not (necessarily) prevent me from getting accepted, but I do have to disclose it.

I'm in a special situation, since my second citizenship is Dutch, which actually is eligible to apply for global entry. Anyway, I enter and exit the US on American, and enter and exit the EU on a Dutch passport...
Old Jan 10, 2012, 2:18 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT 4mm / Free Agent / GE / Secret Handshake
Originally Posted by cfwolfs
So... if I'm reading through this, dual citizenship will not (necessarily) prevent me from getting accepted, but I do have to disclose it.

I'm in a special situation, since my second citizenship is Dutch, which actually is eligible to apply for global entry. Anyway, I enter and exit the US on American, and enter and exit the EU on a Dutch passport...
No worries. I have 2-1/2(third one in process). Never has been an issue.

cheers,

--J
Old Feb 10, 2012, 6:13 pm
Used to be Sydneysider

Programs: AS MVP/Gold (and 75K aspirant)
I got mine last June, and was never asked.
Old Feb 11, 2012, 12:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Sydneysider
I got mine last June, and was never asked.
Did the online application ask? If it asked, and you lied, then your GE membership won't last long.

http://www.globalentry.gov/howtoapply.html
Bring your valid passport(s) and one other form of identification, such as a driver's license or ID card to the interview.
Originally Posted by Ari
Are you an LPR?
Yes.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.