Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

Global Entry for Green Card holders

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Global Entry for Green Card holders

Search this Thread

Old Jun 3, 2013, 7:34 pm

Originally Posted by Ryu2
Thanks! Is the GE valid for the full 5 years, or does it expire when the GC does? And if the latter, do I still have to pay the full $100?
Full 5 years. You'd have to update the documents once you get a new GC. I assume you won't be able to use GE during RoC/while the 2 yr card is expired, but once you get a 10 year card you should be fine.
Old Jun 3, 2013, 7:55 pm

Location: Catania, Sicily/South Jersey (PHL)/Houston, Texas/Red Stick/airborne in-between
Programs: United Global Svs, AA PlatPro, WN RR, AZ/ITA Freccia, Hilton Diam, Bonvoy Gold, Hertz Prez, IHG
Originally Posted by mre5765
He might mean that the green card is valid for ten years, once renewed.

A new green card does not invalidate global entry, but once one gets a new green card, one should take it to the global entry office to get it registered.
yes once the two year is lifted it becomes ten on GCs. Several family members of mine had GE with a two year GC, though their GE Card expired when their GC did and once updated they got new GE cards.

However all signs still point to 5 years on GE, at least at the moment. I've heard rumours of the USG/DHS looking at ten years but very little in print about it in the public domain (that I've seen).
Old Jun 4, 2013, 6:00 am

GC holder just approved to GE

I was just approved to GE since I recently got my GC. I got the sticker on my foreign passport and not my GC, but did not felt like arguing with the officer. Since we are not eligible for TSA PRE, I assume that I can not put my number in my United account right? Not sure how CBP knows that I am out of the country if the do not know when I leave the country...
Old Jun 4, 2013, 8:00 am

Originally Posted by nach0
I was just approved to GE since I recently got my GC. I got the sticker on my foreign passport and not my GC, but did not felt like arguing with the officer. Since we are not eligible for TSA PRE, I assume that I can not put my number in my United account right? Not sure how CBP knows that I am out of the country if the do not know when I leave the country...
Having the GE-Number in my United Profile resulted in about 0% success for TSA Pre. I recently took it out and since then it has at least worked once. So I would not put it in there.
Old Jun 4, 2013, 11:30 am

He might mean that the green card is valid for ten years, once renewed.

A new green card does not invalidate global entry, but once one gets a new green card, one should take it to the global entry office to get it registered.
You are correct. Fingers were not typing what the mind meant. The new LPR card will be valid for ten years. The conditional LPR card is good for two years when you go to remove the conditional status many times CIS will give you a letter and a sticker to place on your LPR card. You should be able to then take that LPR card with the sticker to the Enrollement center and they can add the additional time that sticker gives so you should be able to continue GE even during the time you are removing that conditional status but that is down the road from now.

The short answer is Yes you can use GE as long as the document has a machince readable zone which a two year LPR card does.

I apologize for my miss type earlier. Thought process got ahead of the fingers.

FB

FB
Old Jun 4, 2013, 12:32 pm

Location: Catania, Sicily/South Jersey (PHL)/Houston, Texas/Red Stick/airborne in-between
Programs: United Global Svs, AA PlatPro, WN RR, AZ/ITA Freccia, Hilton Diam, Bonvoy Gold, Hertz Prez, IHG
Originally Posted by Firebug4
You are correct. Fingers were not typing what the mind meant. The new LPR card will be valid for ten years. The conditional LPR card is good for two years when you go to remove the conditional status many times CIS will give you a letter and a sticker to place on your LPR card. You should be able to then take that LPR card with the sticker to the Enrollement center and they can add the additional time that sticker gives so you should be able to continue GE even during the time you are removing that conditional status but that is down the road from now.

The short answer is Yes you can use GE as long as the document has a machince readable zone which a two year LPR card does.

I apologize for my miss type earlier. Thought process got ahead of the fingers.

FB

FB
No worries. I was in hopes it was going to go for ten years, since that had been thrown about in some different discussion groups but I presume they are sticking with five for GE for now.
Old Jun 4, 2013, 5:29 pm

Even stranger. Was approved for GE last week and never updated my profile at United's site or typed in my passid information since I was told by the CBP officer at the interview that as a foreigner I am not allowed to use TSA PRE. I'm ok with that as I signed up for GE for international travel. Checked into my flight for tomorrow (domestic) and my boarding pass has the TSA PRE logo. Not sure how that came about...
Old Jun 4, 2013, 5:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EXP, AA-0.41MM, UA-Gold, Ex UA-1K (2006 thru 2015), PMUA-0.95MM, COUA-1.5MM-lite, AF-Silver
I was just approved to GE since I recently got my GC. I got the sticker on my foreign passport and not my GC, but did not felt like arguing with the officer.
Same thing happened to me when I got GE. When my passport expired, the next officer insisted on the sticker on my GC.

Since we are not eligible for TSA PRE, I assume that I can not put my number in my United account right? Not sure how CBP knows that I am out of the country if the do not know when I leave the country...
Reports are that you will get PRE if you do. However, because it is clear we are not supposed to, consider consequences if you do. For example, it could be argued that by doing so, you are representing yourself as a U.S. citizen, which would then complicate your application for citizenship.

Even stranger. Was approved for GE last week and never updated my profile at United's site or typed in my passid information since I was told by the CBP officer at the interview that as a foreigner I am not allowed to use TSA PRE. I'm ok with that as I signed up for GE for international travel. Checked into my flight for tomorrow (domestic) and my boarding pass has the TSA PRE logo. Not sure how that came about...
Did you enter your GE number in your corporate travel agencies profile?
Old Jun 4, 2013, 5:55 pm

Reports are that you will get PRE if you do. However, because it is clear we are not supposed to, consider consequences if you do. For example, it could be argued that by doing so, you are representing yourself as a U.S. citizen, which would then complicate your application for citizenship.
I don't want to have any issues in the future and for that reason did not update my United profile. I really could care less about PRE as I usually get on time at the airport and got used to taking my shoes off, etc.

Did you enter your GE number in your corporate travel agencies profile?
Nope, don't even have that and am traveling for pleasure. Haven't used that number anywhere, in fact don't even know it. i would have to go to the GOES site if I ever need it. Its very strange as even my greencard name and United name don't match. GC has two last names, while United has 1.
Old Aug 29, 2013, 4:40 am

Originally Posted by 787dreamer
Hopefully sooner than later the TSA will add Permanent Residents to the list of eligible PreCheck users.
Agree! Hoping this comes soon...
Old Aug 29, 2013, 8:28 am

Programs: AAPlatinum, UA
Originally Posted by 787dreamer
I found out the long and hard way that Permanent Residents who are members of Global Entry are not yet able to take advantage of PreCheck lanes. Copied/pasted from TSA PreCheck web:

"Certain frequent travelers from Alaska Airlines, American Airlines, Delta Air Lines, United Airlines, US Airways and certain members of CBP's Trusted Traveler programs, including Global Entry, SENTRI, and NEXUS who are U.S. citizens are eligible to participate. As of November 15, Canadian citizens traveling domestically in the United States who are members of NEXUS are also qualified to participate in TSA Pre✓™. In addition, passengers 12 and younger are allowed through TSA Pre✓™ lanes with eligible passengers."

Hopefully sooner than later the TSA will add Permanent Residents to the list of eligible PreCheck users.
I'm a permanent resident (NOT a citizen) and I've been able to use the pre check lanes without any problem.....just get in the lane and show your Global Entry ID card and that should suffice to get in there^
Old Sep 1, 2013, 10:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EXP, AA-0.41MM, UA-Gold, Ex UA-1K (2006 thru 2015), PMUA-0.95MM, COUA-1.5MM-lite, AF-Silver
Originally Posted by alecheverry
I'm a permanent resident (NOT a citizen) and I've been able to use the pre check lanes without any problem.....just get in the lane and show your Global Entry ID card and that should suffice to get in there^
Permanent residents who are also Canadian NEXUS holders have precheck, but permanent residency is not a factor here.

A permanent resident who enters his pass ID onto the Pre website is arguably claiming to be a US citizen, and this will jeopardize any future application for U.S. citizenship.

Of course the Pre website also says that airlines can invite their US citizen frequent flyers to use Pre. The airlines are willfully ignoring the US citizen requirement; non citizens such as yours truly have been informed that they have been added to Pre (without doing anything). Since the dragon who controls entrance to the Pre lane is often the same one controlling entrance to the non Pre lane, the non citizen who is granted Pre is arguably not claiming US citizenship since he was granted no choice in the matter (other than to cease to accrue FFer benefits which is ludricous).

So how does a GE card get you past the dragon guarding the entrance to the precheck lane?

Last edited by mre5765; Sep 7, 2013 at 7:10 pm
Old Sep 2, 2013, 12:15 am

Programs: BA Silver | AA LT Gold | EY Silver | Marriott LT Titanium
A permanent resident who enters his pass ID onto the Pre website is arguably claiming to be a US citizen, and this will jeopardize any future application for U.S. citizenship.
Not at all true. Entering your Pass ID number into your airline profile is not the same as claiming that you are a US Citizen. Non citizens can have a Pass ID number, and are therefore entitled to enter it in the system. It doesn't actually do anything useful (in fact, it will actually prevent use from using PreCheck if you are a non-citizen and otherwise have PreCheck access by virtue of airline status).
Old Sep 2, 2013, 1:22 pm

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, Global Entry
That's true. When one applies for GE, they state that they are permanent resident on the application for GE. The TSA is not the same department as CBP. TSA simply gets the data from GE members and "sees" that the PR is not a citizen therefore denying PR PreCheck. As previously mentioned, if you don't volunteer the GE travel ID, you can try to get PreCheck as a premier status flyer. Unfortunately, my wife and I don't travel enough to get to even the lowest step on the status totem pole.
Old Apr 21, 2014, 10:56 pm

Location: SEA, or BOS, or MUC, or other places (probably connecting). "Detroit, Michigan is in the Eastern time zone."
Programs: DL PM/1MM, AS 100K, NEXUS/GE, CLEAR, Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Gold
Look at your passport. Now look at the front of the green card.
This makes me want the Old Spice guy to do a video on how to use the GE kiosks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.