Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

Global Entry Kiosk Process for Green Card Holders

Old Apr 14, 2014, 8:11 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM 1MM, DL reserve, Hilton Diamond, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond

Originally Posted by zig666
Same experience last Friday in Toronto. Wouldn't do anything with the Card. Tried the manual lookup, but only got a "Permanent Residents must use their greencard" message, so had to see an agent. Bummer...
I used the new machines for the first time at YYZ terminal 3 pre-clearance and I could not figure out, how to use the glass surface (scan passports) to pull up the info on the back of my green card. I put the card on the glass and nothing happened. After a minute of pushing buttons I saw that there is an option for document not reading. It asked for passport or permanent resident card. I clicked on that and entered my card number. It worked. Finger prints scanned and confirmed, my photo was taken rather quick without an option or countdown. The customs screen now has the Food section in detail rather than food (so I have heard from other post).

Verified my flight details, though I am curious since my green card was not scanned when I checked in at the Detail counter. She only scanned my passport and looked at the card sitting on the counter to confirm I have authorized entry, so how did they know which flight I was on?

Handed my print out to the customs guy and he stamped my boarding card with "Nexus' which meant I could use the Nexus security lane. Overall I am excited to have Global Entry but wish they had shown me how to use the machine at JFK when I went for my interview. (I didn't even get to see the video presentation since they took me in right away then did not show me how to use the machine, saying its very simple!)

So now how do we actually use the machines? The old and the new? I have another trip coming up and will be coming back through JFK T4.
Old Apr 21, 2014, 10:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EXP, AA-0.41MM, UA-Gold, Ex UA-1K (2006 thru 2015), PMUA-0.95MM, COUA-1.5MM-lite, AF-Silver
Originally Posted by nycflyer75
I used the new machines for the first time at YYZ terminal 3 pre-clearance and I could not figure out, how to use the glass surface (scan passports) to pull up the info on the back of my green card. [...]

So now how do we actually use the machines? The old and the new? I have another trip coming up and will be coming back through JFK T4.
Well there is nothing on the back of your green card that the kiosk wants. It is all on the face of your card.

Look at your passport. Now look at the front of the green card. You should see a similar pattern that has a bunch of < symbols with your name. The instructions for using your green card are the same as using your passport. If your GE was tied to your passport, you would insert the page with the < symbols face up. Because the passport has a spine, the process is of course error proof.

With a green card, there is no spine, so the procees is error prone. Insert your green card face up, inserting the edge of the card that is nearest the chin of your photo. It is the same as how a passport would be inserted.

Next time you go to the airport, get there early, and go to the GE enrollment office and request a lesson.

Last edited by mre5765; Apr 26, 2014 at 8:47 am
Old Apr 22, 2014, 1:44 pm
Original Poster

Came into T4 at JFK from NRT and used the kiosk (new one with glass) and it still did not work. My GC card has the info on the back and not the front with the picture. It's the new one.

I placed the card on the top right corner like a passport and nothing. Finally gave up and entered the card info manually. Finger scan worked and photo taken. I stopped by the enrollment center JFK they checked out my GC card (no problems) and also told me they have been having problems with the new cards on the machines. They advised me to use the old machines. Not sure why there is no card slot like an ATM. I have another trip again next week so I will see how it works in the old machine.

Last edited by nycflyer75; Apr 22, 2014 at 2:29 pm
Old Apr 30, 2014, 9:19 am

Programs: UA & AA 1 million miler
I used the new GE kiosk with my GC at LAX (Tom Bradley) yesterday, but I didn't have any problems.
I placed my GC on the glass and then immediately my information showed up on the screen.
Old May 2, 2014, 4:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EXP, AA-0.41MM, UA-Gold, Ex UA-1K (2006 thru 2015), PMUA-0.95MM, COUA-1.5MM-lite, AF-Silver
Originally Posted by MrJBoy
I used the new GE kiosk with my GC at LAX (Tom Bradley) yesterday, but I didn't have any problems.
I placed my GC on the glass and then immediately my information showed up on the screen.
Is your scannable info on the front or rear of the green card?
Old May 3, 2014, 3:08 am

Originally Posted by mre5765
Is your scannable info on the front or rear of the green card?
I'm not sure which side is called front or back, but my green card has the latest design. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Permanent_residence_(United_States)
When you check the Wiki page, mine is just like the first and the second picture on the right hand side of the page, though mine has CBP sticker on the second picture.
I still have my old green card and it's just like the third picture. The old one (the third picture) has the scannable info on the other side compared to the new designed green card.
So I placed my green card (the first picture) up on the glass but it's upside down so that my face photo was on the right.
Old May 4, 2014, 12:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MrJBoy
I'm not sure which side is called front or back, but my green card has the latest design. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Permanent_residence_(United_States)
When you check the Wiki page, mine is just like the first and the second picture on the right hand side of the page, though mine has CBP sticker on the second picture.
I still have my old green card and it's just like the third picture. The old one (the third picture) has the scannable info on the other side compared to the new designed green card.
So I placed my green card (the first picture) up on the glass but it's upside down so that my face photo was on the right.
Since your government issued photo ID has been defaced by the CBP with a CBP sticker on the smaller photo, were you to present this ID for any other purpose than a kiosk, you would present it with the undefaced side up first, I.e. the front of the card.

Thus your scannable info on your new card is on the back. The front has the large photo, dob, etc.

My green card, from 2008, looks like the second image, scannable info and photo are on the front of the card:

Contrary to your assertion, the third image does not have scannable info. According to Wikipedia this form of card was introduced in the 1940s; I am certain there were no computers to scan it.

Last edited by mre5765; May 4, 2014 at 12:28 am
Old May 4, 2014, 12:59 am

Originally Posted by mre5765
Since your government issued photo ID has been defaced by the CBP with a CBP sticker on the smaller photo, were you to present this ID for any other purpose than a kiosk, you would present it with the undefaced side up first, I.e. the front of the card.

Thus your scannable info on your new card is on the back. The front has the large photo, dob, etc.

<snip>
Actually the CBP sticker is not on the small photo on the back of the card, though.
The CBP officer was very careful not to hide any information on the card when he placed the sticker on my green card. He knew how to do that. Anyway I don't use my green card as my government issued photo ID except for International flight check-in in and GE kiosk, so I haven't had any problems before with the sticker...
Sometimes I'm even told by the officer at customs when I exit to put away my green card and they want to see only my passport and the white receipt not my green card, so i don't really use it.

Last edited by TWA884; Aug 14, 2017 at 3:20 pm Reason: No need to redisplay images from immediate preceding post
Old May 5, 2014, 5:31 pm
Original Poster

Re-entered at YYZ pre-clearance today and finally after 3 different US entries it worked, information came up in 3 seconds and it worked at the delta kiosk at YYZ to retrieve a boarding pass. (It didn't work at all till today.) supposedly they updated the software for YYZ check-in kiosk and updated the global entry kiosk with updated software to better equip to read the new green cards, which I have.
The old global entry machines have all been replaced with the new glass scanners.

Side note. I entered Monday at YHZ (Halifax) and I had to enter my details into the kiosk and COC was USA and not my actual citizenship. Spoke with the border agent and said it probably is a glitch.
Today with it working it had my COC as the country I was born in but not my actual citizenship (tied to my GC)which is another country.
Old Jan 2, 2015, 3:05 pm
She

I arrived at SFO this morning and proceeded to the kiosk. The instructions said to scan my passport, which i did and it read my details, but then said that as a LPR I was required to use my Green Card for the entry process and to proceed to the regular queue for processing. It did not give me any option to scan my green card using the kiosk. Did I miss a step here? There was no one around to ask so I just stepped back into the queue but still feel a little annoyed that this didn't work as I had expected. What did I miss?
Old Jan 2, 2015, 3:47 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM, Hertz PC, Marriott Platinum/Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by She
I arrived at SFO this morning and proceeded to the kiosk. The instructions said to scan my passport, which i did and it read my details, but then said that as a LPR I was required to use my Green Card for the entry process and to proceed to the regular queue for processing. It did not give me any option to scan my green card using the kiosk. Did I miss a step here? There was no one around to ask so I just stepped back into the queue but still feel a little annoyed that this didn't work as I had expected. What did I miss?
You missed a basic step: Why did you scan your passport and not your Green Card in the first place?
Always use your Green Card. If, for some reason, it doesn't read the card, choose "manual entry" and input your number. Then follow the steps.
Second, why didn't you go to another kiosk and use only your Green Card?
Old Jan 2, 2015, 6:13 pm
She

I did try to scan my green card in the passport reader but it did not register. Guess I gave up quickly because the instructions on the machine directed me to the queue and the queue had no wait

Did not even see the manual entry option. I'll have to look more closely next time
Old Jan 3, 2015, 7:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
All LPRs use their green cards instead of passport at the GE kiosk. You found out what happens when you try to use your passport instead

You were probably inserting the greencard the wrong way. Machine readable code (back bottom side of the card) has to be in the same way that it is on a passport. But card definitely has to be face up (IIRC, with the top of the card towards you, but its been a while, so I could be wrong).

Yes, there is always a manual entry button on the screen as well you can choose.
Old Mar 3, 2015, 8:41 am

Programs: free agent
IME, the newer, flatter blue GE kiosks do not read the green card at all. The older grey kiosks do.

Manual entry of the number always works though - just click "Problem reading document" and enter the 9 digit A#. Quicker than scanning, IMO.
Old Mar 3, 2015, 3:08 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, Hyatt Pt, CBP Global Entry
Originally Posted by AlphaTango
IME, the newer, flatter blue GE kiosks do not read the green card at all. The older grey kiosks do.

Manual entry of the number always works though - just click "Problem reading document" and enter the 9 digit A#. Quicker than scanning, IMO.
Maybe there was a problem with your card. My mom had no problem scanning her green card at the kiosk 2 weeks ago using the new GE kiosk at AUH.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.