Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

Global Entry for Green Card holders

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Global Entry for Green Card holders

Search this Thread

Old Apr 22, 2014, 3:24 pm

Programs: BA Silver | AA LT Gold | EY Silver | Marriott LT Titanium
Originally Posted by CKDGM
This makes me want the Old Spice guy to do a video on how to use the GE kiosks.
My thoughts exactly!
Old May 21, 2014, 8:46 pm

Fresh permanent resident apply for GE?

I've technically been a PR since this April, but I've had several entry records for the past three years (through B1/B2 and F1). I don't know what constitutes a "low risk traveler". Is a fresh new "resident" like me likely to be approved for GE?
Old May 22, 2014, 6:47 pm

Programs: NEXUS/GE
Originally Posted by jiangning
I've technically been a PR since this April, but I've had several entry records for the past three years (through B1/B2 and F1). I don't know what constitutes a "low risk traveler". Is a fresh new "resident" like me likely to be approved for GE?
Basically, "low-risk" means you're not a felon (or have had a misdemeanor conviction in the last 10 years) or have committed an immigration or customs violation.

As long as you have a clean background, you should be OK.

http://www.cbp.gov/global-entry/about/eligibility
Old May 23, 2014, 2:51 am

Programs: LH SEN, SQ Gold
GE is even available for non-citizens and non-PRs like myself.

B1/B2 and F1 will rather help than hurt, I believe, because you have shown that you have traveled a lot and you didn't violate any laws, rules or regulations.

--> You should be fine (unless you have 'negative stuff' on your criminal record).
Old May 27, 2014, 7:49 pm

Originally Posted by TT-Jones
GE is even available for non-citizens and non-PRs like myself.

B1/B2 and F1 will rather help than hurt, I believe, because you have shown that you have traveled a lot and you didn't violate any laws, rules or regulations.

--> You should be fine (unless you have 'negative stuff' on your criminal record).
Thank you for clarifying. Then I guess, by this token, it is better to apply sooner than later.
Old May 27, 2014, 7:50 pm

Originally Posted by dustman81
Basically, "low-risk" means you're not a felon (or have had a misdemeanor conviction in the last 10 years) or have committed an immigration or customs violation.

As long as you have a clean background, you should be OK.

http://www.cbp.gov/global-entry/about/eligibility
As far as I know, I should have a clean record. I'm right now waiting for "pending review".
Old Sep 1, 2014, 6:09 pm

I got my PR in May and I applied for GE in July. Got conditional approval in 2 days. I scheduled my interview in 2 weeks, got approved and received my card in 3 days!
Old Sep 2, 2014, 4:17 am

Programs: AA, AS, Marriott
I had my spouse apply for GE within days of her getting LPR status in late 2013, and she didn't have any issues. ^
Old Jul 9, 2015, 7:12 pm

Any advice when filling out the GE application with the GC? I'm having trouble with the passport portion? thanks
Old May 27, 2016, 4:27 pm

Does GE still make sense?

Hi,
I have a green card and am thinking about Global Entry, but I wonder if it still makes sense these days. At BOS for example all GCholders go through kiosks already and get a printed sheet that they present to the officer after waiting a short time in line. The officer asks questions and that's it.
Now with GE what am I gaining? No wait in lines? I have to hand the printout to some officer, right? Will the officer still ask questions like "how long have you been gone" "what was the purpose" "which places did you visit" "where do you work" etc, or can we skip all that?

Also, how about long stays abroad (below 6 month, or above 6 and below 12)? Will the kiosk know? Probably it will flag for interview?

Thanks for any help. Just think GE may not be the big thing any more with the arrival of kiosks for all.
Old May 27, 2016, 4:50 pm

Programs: UA & AA 1 million miler
Originally Posted by tinus
Hi,
Will the officer still ask questions like "how long have you been gone" "what was the purpose" "which places did you visit" "where do you work" etc, or can we skip all that?

Thanks for any help. Just think GE may not be the big thing any more with the arrival of kiosks for all.
I have never asked those questions anymore since I started using GE 8 years ago. I hated to be asked...

GE still works great for me. Also, you can use a different line for GE after baggage collection. The customs officer knows I'm a GE member and he/she doesn't ask questions about luggage anymore. Just give the white paper to the officer. That's it. They tell me "Welcome home" instead
Old May 27, 2016, 5:09 pm

Programs: DL DM 1MM, DL reserve, Hilton Diamond, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by tinus
Hi,
I have a green card and am thinking about Global Entry, but I wonder if it still makes sense these days. At BOS for example all GCholders go through kiosks already and get a printed sheet that they present to the officer after waiting a short time in line. The officer asks questions and that's it.
Now with GE what am I gaining? No wait in lines? I have to hand the printout to some officer, right? Will the officer still ask questions like "how long have you been gone" "what was the purpose" "which places did you visit" "where do you work" etc, or can we skip all that?

Also, how about long stays abroad (below 6 month, or above 6 and below 12)? Will the kiosk know? Probably it will flag for interview?

Actually most people think that is the case, but not at all. The regular kiosk do speed things up for regular folks, but for GE members, there is no line for a GE kiosk, you scan your green card, answer the customs declaration and review entry flight # and once you get the print out you don't see an immigration officer you go straight to Customs so no line for that at all (some airport require a quick flash of the print out to an agent as you walk past, but no line for that) and at customs there is a separate lane for GE members so you don't have to wait in the long customs line to exit. You hand over the print out to the customs agent as you walk outside. Also for the $100 for GE you get TSA pre-check. Some credit cards give a rebate for $100 and if you have the time you can apply for A Nexus card for $50 if go to Canada often and you automatically get Global Entry but warning it takes a lot longer to get your nexus card then a global entry card. I got approved after one week then got the card 2 weeks later. I went to JFK airport for the interview after flying home.

Now as an example my home airport is JFK (mostly T4 Delta) where the lines are absolutely ridiculous before the kiosk it was a joke (once waited 2hrs before GE). I have flown with a non GE member who had to wait in a long line just to get to a kiosk and then a very long customs line to get out of the airport. I have gone through from Plane to outside in 5mins. I got home back in Manhattan by the time my non-GE member friend got out of customs at JFK.

I fly 10-15 internationals flights a year and have come home via JFK, EWR, MSP, LAX, DTW, ATL, MIA and also via YYZ, YYC, YOW (Canada - Pre-Clearance)

As for the 6month rule for Green card holders I can assume it will know since, my departure and arrivals are all logged. You can get a print out of every departure and entry from USCIS. You will get flagged to see an immigration officer (but again you will not have to line up for that, you will be taken directly to an immigration officer for review.

I still highly recommend GE.
Old May 27, 2016, 5:43 pm

Programs: UA & AA 1 million miler
Originally Posted by nycflyer75
if you have the time you can apply for A Nexus card for $50 if go to Canada often and you automatically get Global Entry but warning it takes a lot longer to get your nexus card then a global entry card.
Actually I have a NEXUS membership not GE. ^
Old May 29, 2016, 1:52 pm

Programs: Delta SkyMiles; Hilton HHonors; NEXUS; National Emerald Club Executive
I also opted for NEXUS rather than GE. I have a US green card; I have no status in Canada (and only go there occasionally for tourism.) Even so, NEXUS at half the price made more sense.

It has definitely made air travel less painful.
Old Jun 12, 2017, 1:10 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott & SPG Platinum, Hertz Platinum, Avis PC, Sixt Diamond
New LPR here.

In my GE application I put the card number (ABCxxxxxxxx) instead of A# in the green card number field. Will this cause delay in processing? Is there a way to correct this?

It's been a week and it's still pending review.

Last edited by EWEWR; Jun 12, 2017 at 1:21 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.