Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

Global Entry for Green Card holders

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Global Entry for Green Card holders

Search this Thread

Old Dec 19, 2012, 2:28 pm

Location: various cities in the USofA: NYC, BWI, IAH, ORD, CVG, NYC
Programs: Former UA 1K, National Exec. Elite
(Responding to my statement "They do not make an exception for US LPRs.")
Originally Posted by Ari
Are you sure about that?
I'm sure that the CBP website does not, or at least not anywhere easy to find. I'd like to know whether the website, or my reading thereof, reflects CBP policy.

Has any US LPR with Dutch, RoK, or Canadian citizenship successfully applied for and received Global Entry without applying for Privium, SES, or NEXUS, respectively?
Old Jan 2, 2013, 1:29 pm

Originally Posted by gargoyle999
When you went to see an agent did you just get into a standard line or did you go up to an agent who would normally take your ticket if they kiosk works?

We will be trying it with my wife's greencard in Miami soon and just curious which line to get in if it won't work with her card.
There was no staffed booth close to the terminals. I stepped into a Crew Lane close to the terminals then. Got a raised eyebrow, but after explaining the machine problems I was admitted. (I had a completed customs declaration on hand, not sure if I would have been succesfull without one.)
Old Jan 2, 2013, 9:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EXP, AA-0.41MM, UA-Gold, Ex UA-1K (2006 thru 2015), PMUA-0.95MM, COUA-1.5MM-lite, AF-Silver
Originally Posted by ralfp
(Responding to my statement "They do not make an exception for US LPRs.")

I'm sure that the CBP website does not, or at least not anywhere easy to find. I'd like to know whether the website, or my reading thereof, reflects CBP policy.

Has any US LPR with Dutch, RoK, or Canadian citizenship successfully applied for and received Global Entry without applying for Privium, SES, or NEXUS, respectively?
LPRs can get GE, period.

I am Canadian, I am an LPR, do not have NEXUS, and I have GE.
Old Jan 12, 2013, 10:51 pm

My 2-year conditinal green card already expired on Sept. 16, 2012. I am waiting a new one now and of course I got a letter that extended my conditional residence status for one year. Can I apply for GE while waiting for the new green card? My old one had the machine readable on the back of the card. And what sticker are you guys takling about?
Old Jan 30, 2013, 11:02 am

To follow up... I asked the CBP guy during my GE interview. He told me that LPRs (RoK citizens included) can get GE without applying for SeS, etc. first.
Old Jan 31, 2013, 8:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EXP, AA-0.41MM, UA-Gold, Ex UA-1K (2006 thru 2015), PMUA-0.95MM, COUA-1.5MM-lite, AF-Silver
Originally Posted by mre5765
LPRs can get GE, period.

I am Canadian, I am an LPR, do not have NEXUS, and I have GE.
To follow up... I asked the CBP guy during my GE interview. He told me that LPRs (RoK citizens included) can get GE without applying for SeS, etc. first.
You were dissastified with my answer?

Btw, CBP officers are often not a good source of info.

Originally Posted by anneok
My 2-year conditinal green card already expired on Sept. 16, 2012. I am waiting a new one now and of course I got a letter that extended my conditional residence status for one year. Can I apply for GE while waiting for the new green card? My old one had the machine readable on the back of the card. And what sticker are you guys takling about?
The sticker says CBP in blue letters with a white background. It is affixed to the back of your green card or (depending on the CBP officer who gives it to you, the cover of your passport). This sticker is required when exiting the customs line, and also when the kiosk gives you an X. While there are reports of GE users entering the USA without the sticker, IME the majority of the time I require the sticker. Any GE enrollment office will give you a replacement sticker.

Since your green card number stays the same when you replace the card, you can apply, and you should be able to be approved, but without an unexpired green card, I don't expect the kiosk to accept it and thus until you have an unexpired card, you won't be able to use GE.

But you never know. Getting approved for GE might accelerate getting an unexpired card. It will increasingly be more difficult for you without a new green card so I think you should apply for GE.

Last edited by mre5765; Jan 31, 2013 at 8:26 am
Old Jan 31, 2013, 10:51 am

You were dissastified with my answer?
Must resist sarcastic response.....

Not at all; thank you.

I just figured I post what the CBP guy told me, even tough I do not doubt you:

Btw, CBP officers are often not a good source of info.
Old Jun 1, 2013, 6:31 pm

Programs: UA Platinum
Global Entry for 2 year Green Card holder?

Mrs. Ryu2 and I are newly married and she has a 2 year conditional green card (which we'll extend to a unconditional one next year).

Is this type of green card eligible for Global Entry? Anyone have experiences?

FYI, I'm a US citizen with GE. She is a UK citizen.

Obviously, it would be nice for both of us to have it when we travel together.
Old Jun 1, 2013, 9:28 pm

Originally Posted by Ryu2
Mrs. Ryu2 and I are newly married and she has a 2 year conditional green card (which we'll extend to a unconditional one next year).

Is this type of green card eligible for Global Entry? Anyone have experiences?

FYI, I'm a US citizen with GE. She is a UK citizen.

Obviously, it would be nice for both of us to have it when we travel together.
I believe that she is eligible to receive Global Entry as long as she has an actual Permanent Resident Card that has a machine readable zone. It can not be a temp adit stamp or visa in her passport. I will get a better answer for you next week.

FB
Old Jun 3, 2013, 10:51 am

Yes, she is eligible.

Source: Own experience.
Old Jun 3, 2013, 2:04 pm

Programs: UA Platinum
Originally Posted by zig666
Yes, she is eligible.

Source: Own experience.
Thanks! Is the GE valid for the full 5 years, or does it expire when the GC does? And if the latter, do I still have to pay the full $100?
Old Jun 3, 2013, 4:24 pm

Absolutely possible. Own experience, too.

They'll put the CBP sticker on the GC, as explained to me that the foreign passport is not their property to mess with.

GE is valid for the 5 years I'm told. I would take that with a grain of salt though, as I would assume that to mean that it'll be valid with a new 10 year GC.
Was told to bring the new GC in and just ask for a new sticker when it arrives.
Old Jun 3, 2013, 5:32 pm

Originally Posted by Spoddy
Absolutely possible. Own experience, too.

They'll put the CBP sticker on the GC, as explained to me that the foreign passport is not their property to mess with.

GE is valid for the 5 years I'm told. I would take that with a grain of salt though, as I would assume that to mean that it'll be valid with a new 10 year GC.
Was told to bring the new GC in and just ask for a new sticker when it arrives.
GE is valid for ten years and CBP no longer issues stickers.

FB
Old Jun 3, 2013, 6:48 pm

Location: Catania, Sicily/South Jersey (PHL)/Houston, Texas/Red Stick/airborne in-between
Programs: United Global Svs, AA PlatPro, WN RR, AZ/ITA Freccia, Hilton Diam, Bonvoy Gold, Hertz Prez, IHG
Originally Posted by Firebug4
GE is valid for ten years and CBP no longer issues stickers.

FB
When did GE change from five to ten years?

Some GE stations still issue stickers, at least until their supply is exhausted, though they then are to go the way of the dodo.
Old Jun 3, 2013, 7:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FlyingHoustonian
When did GE change from five to ten years?

Some GE stations still issue stickers, at least until their supply is exhausted, though they then are to go the way of the dodo.
He might mean that the green card is valid for ten years, once renewed.

A new green card does not invalidate global entry, but once one gets a new green card, one should take it to the global entry office to get it registered.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.