Wiki Posts
Search

Singapore JFK-FRA-SIN-HKG-SFO First Class with pics

Search this Thread

Old Dec 30, 2008, 11:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*G, AA Emerald, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt globalist
Originally Posted by SFO777
Actually, the smell was x-JFK so I don't think burning forest land was the reason. On the next 744 (HKG-SFO), I didn't notice the smell. Maybe it was simply an inbound pax badly in need of a shower?
SQ 's 744 is very similiar to UA 's 744, they both have 744 built as old as 15+ years, to a few years old. And I don't know when did they start having the law about no smoking on any planes, I believe it is either late 80s or early 90s, so I think it is possible one of the 744 you flew was built when smoking was still allowed.

Old planes do have a smell, if not smoking, there is still some kind of smell even if they change the seats. I still remember flying 742 on NW, it smell rather bad, even my mother smell that. I had also flown on 744 with NW, it never has any smell. I believe NW is the first carrier ban smoking on planes.

Last edited by ORDnHKG; Dec 30, 2008 at 11:43 pm
Old Jan 10, 2009, 3:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Somehow I missed this over the summer. Thanks for a truly excellent literary and visual report. Your father is a lucky man to have such a kind and generous son. All the best to you both in future travels
Old Nov 29, 2009, 5:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Currently in Bloomington, IN, but Normally NYC, CDG, and even POZ or wherever FT takes me.
Programs: Northwest Airlines. MTA pay-per-ride Metrocard; zero-balance Oyster card.
Great report mate! ^ ^
Old Apr 25, 2010, 10:27 am
In Memoriam

Programs: DL DM, UA, AA, SPG Gold, Marriott, HH, Fairmont, NYSC (Passport), 24hrFitness-Super Sport
wonderful report. My longing to fly SQ F is only compounded by your review.
Old May 9, 2010, 11:32 am
Suspended

Programs: AA-EXP (3.3MM), AAirpass, SQ-PPS Solitaire, DL-PM (.777MM), SPG-Plat, HH-D
You are a lucky man, those memories with your father will stay with you for ever. My dad passed away 10yrs ago yesterday and he was one of those lucky SOB who used to fly FRA-SIN in TOP class on SQ in the 60s and 70s. He used to tell me stories when I was growing up about F cabin which were unreal. The top floor of the 744 had a bar with couches and a piano man, smoke was everywhere and they served cuban cigars after dinner to enjoy up there, needless to say it didnt last long. My how have times changed!
Old Sep 20, 2013, 3:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, SQ Gold, KQ Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Accor Silver
OK, so I know this thread is 5 years old now, but I finally got around to reading it! Superb trip report as ever, SFO777.

It was interesting to read your report and compare with how things are now on SQ, since the 744s were withdrawn from service.

I always liked the look of the 744 F cabins on SQ, although the slopey J seats never floated my boat.

I don't think this fare is available anymore, which is a shame, but certainly good value at the time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.