Reload this Page >

My Journey to Every Country in the World

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

My Journey to Every Country in the World

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21, 2014, 10:14 am

Programs: UA GS, AS MVP 100K, DL Diamond, Marriot Lifetime Titanium, AmEx Centurion
Originally Posted by rankourabu
CBut would you say going to Hong Kong will count as China?
Or going to Gibraltar as having gone to the UK?
I would, only because one has to draw an arbitrary line somewhere.

TCC has a broad list if you want to count "distinct" places, but for the purposes of countries, Hong Kong is a part of China, Gibraltar is a part of the UK, and Guam is a part of the United States. Sure, you're not getting the most representative view of that country, but a one day stop in one city doesn't give the whole picture either....
Old Jan 22, 2014, 1:44 am

I would count Kish Island as 'visiting Iran', but obviously not the same as going to Shiraz, Tehran etc. Living closeby and with a 'VOA' passport, I'm going to try and see the mainland though.

I've been to the Korean DMZ from the south side and 'crossed the border', but do not count that as visiting North Korea.

I'm going to the island of Bali in October, and will count that as visiting Indonesia, which is essientially a bunch of islands anyway.

I've been to Don Sao Island, and paid the 30 baht 'border fee', but not sure if I count that as visiting Laos though(?).
Old Jan 23, 2014, 3:29 am

Programs: LH, BA, TK
No doubt this challenge faces two realities:

- UN 193 member states + 2 observer states
- a customizable list of independent territories

One has only to decide where to draw the line, as personal criteria are virtually endless.
Kish island is Iran? Yes, but I would not flag it on my world map on the wall in front of me now. DMZ North Korea? lol
Likewise I have few entries in countries where I've been staying few hours (eg Malaysia from Johor Bahru and Botswana from Namibia) that I'm ashamed to count in the list and to which I plan to pay a proper visit, but which I could tick with good rights.
Time spent in, level of independence, degree of recognition by other member states make the matter hard to get everyone agree with, besides the UN official list.
Part of the fun, if you ask me.
Old Jan 23, 2014, 3:36 am

Originally Posted by Forrest Bump
No doubt this challenge faces two realities:

- UN 193 member states + 2 observer states
Holy See & Palestine?
Old Jun 4, 2014, 11:28 pm

Location: Austin, TX -- AA Life Platinum; QF Life Silver; UA Silver
Originally Posted by Baldpacker
hauteboy / deepbluesky, how did you travel around the islands of the South Pacific? My girlfriend will be working in Adelaide this year and I think it's a good time for me to check out that area. Any airfare or ferry deals that allow for island hopping? I've spent a lot of time googling and searching FT but haven't come up with much yet!
I'm leaving for Fiji in a few days to do a cruise on the Paul Gauguin ship, stopping in Vanuatu, Solomon Islands, Papua New Guinea. Also am doing a day trip to Kiritimati (Kiribati Christmas) Island out of Fiji. Then a trip to Malta in early July So that will be 6 new countries for me in the next month.

I have quite a few more trips planned. I should have only 24 countries remaining by Jan 2015.

Code:
======== Planned
Fiji			06-2014
Vanuatu			06-2014
Solomons		06-2014
Kiribati		06-2014
Papua New Guinea	06-2014
Malta			07-2014
Swaziland		08-2014
Lesotho			08-2014
Comoros			12-2014
Madagascar		12-2014
Mauritius		12-2014
Romania             11-2014
Bulgaria              11-2014
Serbia                 11-2014
Hungary               11-2014
Maldives		01-2015
Remaining:
Code:
======== Europe
Ukraine
Moldova
Bosnia
Croatia
Slovenia
Slovakia
Czech
Poland
======== Africa
Mauritania
Senegal
Gambia
Guinea-Bissau
Guinea
Sierra Leone
Liberia
Libya
Chad
Niger
CAR
South Sudan
======== North America
Cuba
======== Oceania
Tuvalu
Nauru
Samoa
Old Aug 30, 2014, 11:10 pm

Programs: AC/EK
Finally entered the TCC after a trip through Lithuania, Latvia, Estonia, and the Aland Islands. I'm pretty happy with that given I just recently turned 30.

Before the end of the year I'll also be spending time in Tasmania, Christmas Island, Cocos (Keeling) Island, Palau, Guam, Saipan, Yap (Micronesia), and the Hawaiian Islands so that will be a few more off my list. Can't wait!
Old Sep 1, 2014, 2:57 am

...and the Aland Islands.
Had to google that one.

So when does the Islamic Caliphate start being counted as a 'country'?

If 5 years from now they still control a chunk of Syria and perhaps a bit of Iraq, does it become the middle eastern equivalent of Transnistria?
Old Sep 1, 2014, 3:03 am

Originally Posted by DanielW
Had to google that one.

So when does the Islamic Caliphate start being counted as a 'country'?

If 5 years from now they still control a chunk of Syria and perhaps a bit of Iraq, does it become the middle eastern equivalent of Transnistria?
I'm more curious if Crimea will be added to the list in 2015 or not!
Old Sep 1, 2014, 4:55 am

I'm more curious if Crimea will be added to the list in 2015 or not!
Depends how apolitical they are I guess.

Interesting few words on how the 'the worlds most travelled man' defines as having 'visited' a country:

Some travellers claim you must spend a night in a place; some argue it is enough to visit a lavatory there; "others," Veley suggests, somewhat wearily, "will say you have to sleep on a park bench or do it for less than $10 to make it real. And some people believe you must have cocktails at Annabelle's or wherever…" Veley has attempted to bring some order to this area, too. Just touching down while on a plane is not enough; Most Traveled People requires a photograph or a passport stamp or a credit card receipt
Old Sep 4, 2014, 10:45 am

Location: Austin, TX -- AA Life Platinum; QF Life Silver; UA Silver
Originally Posted by DanielW
Depends how apolitical they are I guess.

Some travellers claim you must spend a night in a place; some argue it is enough to visit a lavatory there; "others," Veley suggests, somewhat wearily, "will say you have to sleep on a park bench or do it for less than $10 to make it real. And some people believe you must have cocktails at Annabelle's or wherever…" Veley has attempted to bring some order to this area, too. Just touching down while on a plane is not enough; Most Traveled People requires a photograph or a passport stamp or a credit card receipt
Yeah.. I fall short on a few countries by his criteria. There's a few places I don't have a picture of myself in a place, or used credit cards, or have stamps...
Old Sep 4, 2014, 1:57 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, Admirals Club, Global Entry
I've been to hardly any countries, but I did spend a few months, over two summers, as a college kid zipping through all of Europe (ex Poland & Finland). The iron curtain was still up and there was no Schengen Agreement yet, and so I actually had to work at it a bit; Albania was flatly off-limits with a US passport. Anyway, I've never felt sillier than when I actually bothered to go to Andorra -- which you can't get to by train -- and asked to have my passport stamped. The border guard looked at me as though I were nuts, and then did it anyway. I certainly wasn't going to bother with the likes of San Marino. I had my self-respect, even as a teenager.

The irony here is that the whole ridiculous Andorra side trip was actually a lot of fun: I hiked for a day near the youth hostel I was staying at in France and seeing even part of the Pyrenees was fascinating.

And I'm also not fooled by any of you for a second. For all your tough talk about doing the equivalent of just tagging a base and then moving on, most of you actually go to places and write truly interesting, and sometimes even terrifying reports. Maybe the country-tag thing just adds a mite of motivation?

Last edited by FallenPlat; Sep 4, 2014 at 3:02 pm
Old Sep 5, 2014, 5:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Originally Posted by FallenPlat

And I'm also not fooled by any of you for a second. For all your tough talk about doing the equivalent of just tagging a base and then moving on, most of you actually go to places and write truly interesting, and sometimes even terrifying reports. Maybe the country-tag thing just adds a mite of motivation?
For some, yes, its about country tagging, they will spend an hour in a place, and say they've been there, or a day. Whatever floats their boat my friend, who are we to say, thats wrong, or that doesnt count?

Now that I've gone over 35yo, I personally have no intention of visiting every country in the world (20 countries this year - only one new one), nor do I have any interest spending insane amounts of money to go to Tuvalu for a day, to "tag" it as visited.

Point is, everyone is different, and whatever the motivation to travel is, whether it be to explore new places, or tag them on a list, its a personal choice.

Originally Posted by hauteboy
Yeah.. I fall short on a few countries by his criteria. There's a few places I don't have a picture of myself in a place, or used credit cards, or have stamps...
Credit card is dumb, good luck using it in Iran lol, as are stamps since that would eliminate most of Europe. Pictures can be photoshopped.

The TCC list is ridiculous, does anyone actually use it??
Old Sep 5, 2014, 7:35 am

Originally Posted by rankourabu
The TCC list is ridiculous, does anyone actually use it??
I only learned about the TCC last year but don't think it's ridiculous at all. It has motivated me to travel to a lot of places that I would have otherwise never considered going to (Aland Islands, Christmas Islands, Cocos (Keeling) Islands for example).

At the en of the day I'm not traveling with the purpose of "tagging" a list, but I will admit keeping track motivates me to go to places off the beaten path a little more often.
Old Sep 5, 2014, 9:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
I only learned about the TCC last year but don't think it's ridiculous at all. It has motivated me to travel to a lot of places that I would have otherwise never considered going to (Aland Islands, Christmas Islands, Cocos (Keeling) Islands for example).

At the en of the day I'm not traveling with the purpose of "tagging" a list, but I will admit keeping track motivates me to go to places off the beaten path a little more often.
No, it is ridiculous to list Turkey Europe and Turkey Asia as separate territories. Or Sumatra and Java. Or Greece and Corfu.

I will give you Aaland and Christmas/Cocos - those I would count as well - they are distinct administrative entities - like Guam, Cook Islands or Gibraltar.

I am surprised they only have 2000 members, does one have to pay to join?
Old Sep 5, 2014, 10:47 am

Programs: UA GS, AS MVP 100K, DL Diamond, Marriot Lifetime Titanium, AmEx Centurion

Well-written...my feelings as well. I want to do the UN list, and with a goal of at least spending more than a few hours in a place. But I monitor the TCC list as well, because it at least gives some insight into different places. Aland was neat...and I admit I wouldn't have gone without TCC either.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.