Reload this Page >

My Journey to Every Country in the World

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

My Journey to Every Country in the World

Search this Thread

Old Jun 26, 2013, 3:37 pm

Programs: UA GS, AS MVP 100K, DL Diamond, Marriot Lifetime Titanium, AmEx Centurion
Rather than start a new thread, I figured I'd ask here. I have 60 countries left, and it's obviously getting a bit more difficult. I wrote a blog post on it here, and would love thoughts from those of you who are getting close, or who have already finished!
Old Jun 26, 2013, 6:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Originally Posted by ironmanjt
Rather than start a new thread, I figured I'd ask here. I have 60 countries left, and it's obviously getting a bit more difficult. I wrote a blog post on it here, and would love thoughts from those of you who are getting close, or who have already finished!
It all depends on how important it is to you to 'hit' these places and what you personally get out of this.... Some of it is going to be very expensive, but if you are willing to spend the money just to 'hit' Tuvalu or Niger... go for it.

You do have quite a bit of 'easy' ones left too

This year I am only adding six new ones I gave up on a side trip to East Timor trying to squeeze it in from Bali, when I realized it made no financial sense to go there for a day.

The way I count it, 150 is reasonably easy, after that, you really gotta wanna go to the rest.
Old Jun 26, 2013, 9:25 pm

Location: Austin, TX -- AA Life Platinum; QF Life Silver; UA Silver
Originally Posted by rankourabu
It all depends on how important it is to you to 'hit' these places and what you personally get out of this.... Some of it is going to be very expensive, but if you are willing to spend the money just to 'hit' Tuvalu or Niger... go for it.

You do have quite a bit of 'easy' ones left too

This year I am only adding six new ones I gave up on a side trip to East Timor trying to squeeze it in from Bali, when I realized it made no financial sense to go there for a day.

The way I count it, 150 is reasonably easy, after that, you really gotta wanna go to the rest.
I'll probably hit 150+ this year... sitting at 148 now. But I have gotten some of the hard ones out of the way (Saudi Arabia, Iran, North Korea, Nigeria, etc). Most of what I have left is now in easy clusters. Eastern Europe, Central/West Africa and South Pacific. Definitely Eastern Europe will be easy and some of South Pacific.

I'm not sure yet what I want my last country to be, even if I do have a plan it will probably change. I'd like to finish within 3 years though.

Originally Posted by ironmanjt
Odd that ironmanjt is also missing Belize and Cuba in the Americas... those are my last two remaining countries in Western Hemisphere. I'm missing most of the same South Pacific as you.. I've been to Tonga but no others.

I'm also trying to find something to do over the 4th!

For your groupings, Gabon, Sao Tome, Cameroon and Eq. Guinea are an obvious group, I did these (+Nigeria) last year. Maybe throw Chad or CAR into that mix. Easy enough to get to Libreville and out of Malabo. US Citizens don't need visa for Eq. Guinea and you can get Cameroon visa same-day in Libreville.
Old Jun 27, 2013, 6:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
To clarify, I have no intention of visiting every country in the world. I'll be 35 soon and life responsibilities are unfortunately taking away travel resources.

I'd still add 5-10 a year, but I dont think I ll be wondering the streets of Ndjemana or Kinshasa anytime soon
Old Jun 27, 2013, 10:21 am

Programs: UA GS, AS MVP 100K, DL Diamond, Marriot Lifetime Titanium, AmEx Centurion
Originally Posted by hauteboy
Odd that ironmanjt is also missing Belize and Cuba in the Americas... those are my last two remaining countries in Western Hemisphere. I'm missing most of the same South Pacific as you.. I've been to Tonga but no others.
Sounds like these are a tough bunch...and a possible excuse for a group trip! Especially the south pacific....

I'm also trying to find something to do over the 4th!
I gave up on finding something, and resorted to a mileage run instead, as you might have seen me posting in this forum the other day.

For your groupings, Gabon, Sao Tome, Cameroon and Eq. Guinea are an obvious group, I did these (+Nigeria) last year. Maybe throw Chad or CAR into that mix. Easy enough to get to Libreville and out of Malabo. US Citizens don't need visa for Eq. Guinea and you can get Cameroon visa same-day in Libreville.
Great info...thanks! Now, to just start blocking off a few longer vacations to tackle some of the groups I've identified. Serbia/Montenegro and Andorra will likely be first.
Old Jan 11, 2014, 3:31 am

Programs: AC/EK
I've read this thread start to finish a couple of times now and am envious of those of you who have seen and done so much. I've traveled 78 of the UN+3 countries (29 years old) and am starting to think about chasing a 'list' of some sort myself.

My girlfriend just took a job in Australia so I'm hoping to spend some time traveling around the South Pacific over the next year. Any hints / tips for getting around the various islands? I've been unable to find any good flight passes or ferry services to "island hop" yet.
Old Jan 11, 2014, 12:49 pm

Programs: Depends on the card offers :)
Originally Posted by Baldpacker
I've read this thread start to finish a couple of times now and am envious of those of you who have seen and done so much. I've traveled 78 of the UN+3 countries (29 years old) and am starting to think about chasing a 'list' of some sort myself.

My girlfriend just took a job in Australia so I'm hoping to spend some time traveling around the South Pacific over the next year. Any hints / tips for getting around the various islands? I've been unable to find any good flight passes or ferry services to "island hop" yet.
78 at 29? You're making quick work! I have a loose lifetime goal of 80, and I'm at 43 or so now, a month away from 30.

If you haven't already, I suggest you take a look at findacrew.net. Won't be the easiest way to get around, but what good trip is ever easy? If it works -- and that's probably a big if -- I'm sure it'd be a magical way to see that part of the world. Keep up the good work!

Last edited by JordyC; Jan 11, 2014 at 1:04 pm
Old Jan 12, 2014, 12:05 am

Originally Posted by JordyC
78 at 29? You're making quick work! I have a loose lifetime goal of 80, and I'm at 43 or so now, a month away from 30.

If you haven't already, I suggest you take a look at findacrew.net. Won't be the easiest way to get around, but what good trip is ever easy? If it works -- and that's probably a big if -- I'm sure it'd be a magical way to see that part of the world. Keep up the good work!
Thanks!! I've never really traveled with the intent of ticking off a list, but I've been interested in all of this since learning about it. I don't want to start going to destinations just to say I've been there (except for maybe the North and South Poles) but would like to continue traveling for the sake of new experiences and adventures. That said, before my 30th birthday I'm planning add South Korea, Hong Kong, Iraq, and Brunei to the list so I should hit 80 before 30.

I'm in the process of developing a travel blog about my travels - http://baldpacker.com (bald is beautiful, right?) but it still needs a lot of updating about past trips. Unfortunately, I'm a bit of a perfectionist and it's tough travel, maintain a travel blog, and work 2500+ hours/year. I'm thinking that in a year or two I'll quit and take some time off though, which leads me to thinking I could tackle one of these lists and get the experiences and adventures I crave whilst also being able to put a check next to the world's destinations.

Who knows, maybe I'll become the youngest person to cover the TCC list!? I assume the 7 places in Antarctica are the hardest / most expensive places to go? Good thing I'm a Canadian outdoorsy type that can handle the cold!
Old Jan 14, 2014, 5:28 am

Thanks!! I've never really traveled with the intent of ticking off a list, but I've been interested in all of this since learning about it. I don't want to start going to destinations just to say I've been there (except for maybe the North and South Poles) but would like to continue traveling for the sake of new experiences and adventures. That said, before my 30th birthday I'm planning add South Korea, Hong Kong, Iraq, and Brunei to the list so I should hit 80 before 30.

I'm in the process of developing a travel blog about my travels - http://baldpacker.com (bald is beautiful, right?) but it still needs a lot of updating about past trips. Unfortunately, I'm a bit of a perfectionist and it's tough travel, maintain a travel blog, and work 2500+ hours/year. I'm thinking that in a year or two I'll quit and take some time off though, which leads me to thinking I could tackle one of these lists and get the experiences and adventures I crave whilst also being able to put a check next to the world's destinations.

Who knows, maybe I'll become the youngest person to cover the TCC list!? I assume the 7 places in Antarctica are the hardest / most expensive places to go? Good thing I'm a Canadian outdoorsy type that can handle the cold!
This guy (www.leeabbamonte.com) is trying to be the youngest to visit all TCC places. He only has about 12 to go.. and he's 35 I think.
Old Jan 14, 2014, 10:31 am

This guy (www.leeabbamonte.com) is trying to be the youngest to visit all TCC places. He only has about 12 to go.. and he's 35 I think.
Yea, I just started following his travels. Interesting journey for sure. As I'm researching the list more I can see the $$$ adding up. Not sure if it's worth going to a lot of those places but who knows....I've got at least 5 years to decide.
Old Jan 14, 2014, 10:37 am

Yea, I just started following his travels. Interesting journey for sure. As I'm researching the list more I can see the $$$ adding up. Not sure if it's worth going to a lot of those places but who knows....I've got at least 5 years to decide.
Going for the whole list is very $$$ and time intensive. I'm at 199 now and will probably make 250 easily. After that it'll get more difficult or essentially impossible (Wake Island, Diego Garcia, etc).
Old Jan 16, 2014, 7:57 pm

Theres a huge difference between just going to a country and really spending the time to see and learn the cultures in each. Are you guys just skimming it to put another notch under ur belt? Some countries you need at least a werk to few weeks to really see it.
Old Jan 17, 2014, 2:21 am

Going for the whole list is very $$$ and time intensive. I'm at 199 now and will probably make 250 easily. After that it'll get more difficult or essentially impossible (Wake Island, Diego Garcia, etc).
Any interesting hints, tips or stories for visiting some of the places more off the beaten track? Especially those in West Africa and the South Pacific?

Originally Posted by Bloodshot2k
Theres a huge difference between just going to a country and really spending the time to see and learn the cultures in each. Are you guys just skimming it to put another notch under ur belt? Some countries you need at least a werk to few weeks to really see it.
I completely agree with you. As I said before, I've never really traveled with the intent of ticking off a list and would like to continue traveling for the sake of new experiences and adventures. That said, I spent 1 day in Liechtenstein, 3 days in Bahrain, and 2 days in Qatar, and have no deep interest in spending any more time in any of them. Meanwhile, I've spent 6+ months in Thailand over 7 different trips and would still like to visit again. For me, it's not about "meeting a threshold" or trying to appease other travelers that I've adequately visited a place, but simply to continue meeting my own personal travel desires. I'm sure if I do tackle one of these lists there will be a number of places I'm not overly excited about going to, but I can't see regretting the effort even if it isn't a wonderful trip.
Old Jan 17, 2014, 6:04 am

I use my quick trips to get a feel for a place and determine if it is worth coming back for a more in depth visit. Many places I have been back to visit multiple times (India, China, Argentina, etc). After this latest trip, 2 days in Angola and I have no desire to go back.
Old Jan 18, 2014, 1:16 am
Original Poster

Programs: *Alliance, OneWorld
Totally agree with what Baldpacker and hauteboy said. Plenty of places do require a lot more time. After finishing up the 193, I started going to the ones I especially enjoyed and wanted to get to know better.

Likewise, there are also plenty of places that either a) don't require a lot of time (Lichtenstein, for example), or b) aren't the kind of places I have much desire to return to (Angola, for example).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.