Community
Wiki Posts
Search

My Journey to Every Country in the World

Search this Thread

Old Nov 9, 2011, 12:03 pm

Programs: LH, BA, Hilton
Originally Posted by Lux
I've asked myself a similar question about lists in the past and ended up with this spreadsheet which made counting easier. See what you think - feedback welcome!

Spreadsheet of Soverign States and Associated Territories
Very useful thanks for sharing

I've taken a copy and added conditional formatting to collour the country green when visited.

Thanks,
Old Nov 9, 2011, 12:25 pm

Programs: Depends on the card offers :)
Originally Posted by newcastle
Keep in mind the stop over allowances you can get with the BA awards on Lan. Depending on how much time you have, you should be able to do both Easter Island and BsAs.

Easter Island was def. something special, and in my opinion the type of place that is way more reasonable if you're using miles. Also, be sure to splurge for business class on these trips. The SCL-IPC segment is technically domestic but the service is essentially international

If you make it to IPC, and you have some American Airlines miles, check out their intra-South Pacific award. 20k in economy or 30k in business will get you from IPC to Tahiti or Australia.

Personally, SYD-AUK-PPT-IPC in business for 30k was a very enjoyable use of miles!
Booking anything with LAN using BA miles is proving pretty brutal right now. If you have any advice as to how to improve availability, please let me know!

...but I'm feeling a little guilty of thread-hijacking. Happy to keep focused on Every Country counts!
Old Nov 9, 2011, 12:54 pm

Location: Austin, TX -- AA Life Platinum; QF Life Silver; UA Silver
I just hit country #124 (Laos) or #118 if I don't count the airport-only transit cheaters, and 168 on the TCC List (again a few cheaters).

You will also want to book your BA award in the next week before their award chart changes... most likely the LAN awards will change considerably since they are going to distance-based zones.

Last edited by hauteboy; Nov 9, 2011 at 12:59 pm
Old Nov 13, 2011, 10:03 am

Programs: AA EXP 2 .5 MM
Chris have you tried G 3 Visa services. Big firm I use and I can say have been good for me especially on the hard ones. Also have you heard of a friend of mine known as Global Henry? His name is Henry Biernacki and he is working toward the same commn desire as you. He has a little advantage as he is also a captain for Virgin but now that does not get him to many new places. Check out his web site and the book he wrote. He is a great adventurer like you and a lot of us here.

Mike The Plant Hunter
Old Nov 15, 2011, 3:15 pm
Original Poster

Programs: *Alliance, OneWorld
hauteboy,

Congrats on #118/124!

mikeinmiami,

I've been using VisaHQ, with mostly good results. There have been a few hangups and delays, but I also know I'm giving them a pretty tight schedule (and applications to random embassies) to work with.

Not sure I know Global Henry. Sounds good to me, though -- the more, the merrier.
Old Nov 15, 2011, 8:01 pm

Programs: UA GS, AS MVP 100K, DL Diamond, Marriot Lifetime Titanium, AmEx Centurion
Originally Posted by deepbluesky
I've been using VisaHQ, with mostly good results. There have been a few hangups and delays, but I also know I'm giving them a pretty tight schedule (and applications to random embassies) to work with.
I second VisaHQ. I usually head over there in person since they're a few blocks from my office, and they've managed to grease a few wheels that I couldn't. Being in DC I can usually take care of most things in person myself, but for some of the trickier ones...I highly recommend them.
Old Mar 7, 2012, 1:41 pm

At #129 now after my recent trip to Central Africa. I'm in the process of applying for visas for Central Asia -stans now (will be #134 or #135 if I get the Iran visa)... but Uzbek visa is taking awhile, 2+ weeks so far. I don't use a visa service, I send my applications directly to the embassy.
Old Apr 8, 2012, 8:08 pm

Programs: UA GS, AS MVP 100K, DL Diamond, Marriot Lifetime Titanium, AmEx Centurion
Just booked my latest trip which should bring me up to 116 - nowhere close to the experts here, but I'm rapidly getting there!
Old Apr 8, 2012, 9:19 pm

I'm currently in Panama, my 71st.
Old Jun 8, 2012, 2:00 pm

I'm at #139 now after a 10-country visit to the -stans and southern Balkans. Got denied our Iranian visa the day before I left for Central Asia.. so ended up booking flights to Erbil/Tirana (not Tehran).

Last edited by hauteboy; Jun 8, 2012 at 2:13 pm
Old Jun 8, 2012, 6:16 pm

Originally Posted by hauteboy
I'm at #139 now after a 10-country visit to the -stans and southern Balkans. Got denied our Iranian visa the day before I left for Central Asia.. so ended up booking flights to Erbil/Tirana (not Tehran).
Wow - that sucks! Sorry to hear about Iran! I'm still hoping to get in the "proper" way as opposed to Kish which I already did, but I'm at 116 and booked through to 122 at the moment.

Would love feedback on the Stans....that's on my plan for next spring.
Old Jun 8, 2012, 6:48 pm

Originally Posted by ironmanjt
Wow - that sucks! Sorry to hear about Iran! I'm still hoping to get in the "proper" way as opposed to Kish which I already did, but I'm at 116 and booked through to 122 at the moment.

Would love feedback on the Stans....that's on my plan for next spring.
I'll be posting a trip report soon, will keep you updated.
Old Jun 9, 2012, 1:56 am

I've just been to Malta, my 72nd. So far I've been to 6 this year but don't anticipate any more until 2013.
Old Aug 31, 2012, 12:50 pm
Original Poster

Programs: *Alliance, OneWorld
Greetings, all. For anyone who has been following along here, I made it to Yemen and Congo recently and now have just six countries remaining:

Guinea Bissau
Sao Tome
Seychelles
Tuvalu
Kiribati
Norway

We'll be having a party in Oslo on April 6, 2013 for anyone who wants to hop over (details forthcoming before the end of the year).

I'm excited but also somewhat apprehensive about the journey coming to an end.

Hope you guys are doing well and still traveling.
Old Sep 1, 2012, 4:14 pm

Originally Posted by deepbluesky
Greetings, all. For anyone who has been following along here, I made it to Yemen and Congo recently and now have just six countries remaining:

Guinea Bissau
Sao Tome
Seychelles
Tuvalu
Kiribati
Norway

We'll be having a party in Oslo on April 6, 2013 for anyone who wants to hop over (details forthcoming before the end of the year).

I'm excited but also somewhat apprehensive about the journey coming to an end.

Hope you guys are doing well and still traveling.
How has Norway stuck around for so long? LOL

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.