Reload this Page >

My Journey to Every Country in the World

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

My Journey to Every Country in the World

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5, 2015, 6:23 am

Interesting blog from an intrepid flight attendant. 175 countries down, 18 to go:
http://www.traveladventures.org
Old Jan 6, 2015, 10:33 pm

Cool photography project on defacto countries (Abkhazia, Nagorno Karabakh, Northern Cyprus, Somaliland, and Transnistria): http://petapixel.com/2015/01/04/phot...zed-countries/
Old Jan 24, 2015, 8:56 am

Interesting article about a New Zealander that went to 191 countries in 6 months. Only 25 minutes in Tajikistan and 17 minutes in Tuvalu:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/news...elled-man.html
Old Jan 25, 2015, 1:28 pm

Location: Austin, TX -- AA Life Platinum; QF Life Silver; UA Silver
Too insane. I remember reading that guy's blog when he did the trip with his friend years ago. They had a book: http://www.amazon.com/Absolutely-Out.../dp/0143018809
Old Jan 25, 2015, 3:39 pm

Originally Posted by hauteboy
Too insane. I remember reading that guy's blog when he did the trip with his friend years ago. They had a book: http://www.amazon.com/Absolutely-Out.../dp/0143018809
Your must have a book or two in you as well. I wonder what two countries he missed?
Old Jan 25, 2015, 4:43 pm

IIRC Afghanistan and Sao Tome were the two they missed.
Old Jan 25, 2015, 5:39 pm

Programs: UA GS, AS MVP 100K, DL Diamond, Marriot Lifetime Titanium, AmEx Centurion
Originally Posted by hauteboy
IIRC Afghanistan and Sao Tome were the two they missed.
I seem to recall Sao Tome as well - based on how hard we had finding info on it that doesn't surprise me in the least!
Old Jan 25, 2015, 6:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

iraq but not afghanistan? odd.

good thread/posts.

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Jan 25, 2015 at 7:04 pm
Old Jan 25, 2015, 8:53 pm

Programs: AC/EK
I'm not sure I understand the point to 191 countries in 6 months (180 days!!) but pretty impressive feat nonetheless. That must have taken an insane amount of time to plan and coordinate with respect to flights and visas though!

Interesting book review on Amazon:
I would rate this book a negative number actually.

I was so disappointed in this book. I just could not stand reading this book past page 100. All they do is fly get in a cab so they can hurry to the hotel to drink a beer and eat complain about how poor the places look as they drive too and from the airports of the areas they are flying in and out of. Oh and maybe snap a pic in the airport of a local. If the local lets them..Sometimes they dont. I dont blame them the locals.

Then they have the nerve to complain about the underpaid staff in the hotels that they arent as friendly as they expect and want them to be and falling over themselves to please them at the hotels they go too. They dont tip this poor girl who shows them to there room..THey think that part is funny.

I dont know what they are promoting but its not good will....The most they converse is with the taxi drivers and even then they complain. Backstabbers.. Or they say we had great conversation..ok then why dont you tell us the great part...

Iam sorry that these two guys are the best Save the Children could come up with to help there Cause...I think these two just wanted an excuse to drink a beer in every country, And they arent even funny after a drink under there belt. Then they go to bed and get up get in a taxi get a drive to the airport complain from the taxi on the sites they see from the window of the taxi on the way to the airport. THen they get on the plane complain and get to the next stop to do the same thing. OVER and OVER and OVer again..UGH.. Thank goodness I checked this book out at the library. I would of kicked myself to have actually paid money for this miserable travel tale.
Old Jan 25, 2015, 10:12 pm

Originally Posted by Baldpacker
That must have taken an insane amount of time to plan and coordinate with respect to flights and visas though!
Apparently he got a travel agent to organise everything for him!!!
Old Jan 25, 2015, 11:36 pm

Programs: AC/EK
Originally Posted by DanielW
Apparently he got a travel agent to organise everything for him!!!
Lucky travel agent! Dude must be rolling in it. I wish I had that sort of money to fund my travel adventures!

As a change of topic, what travels / countries do my fellow world-travelers have lined up for 2015?

My year is still relatively unplanned as I'm waiting to find out where my girlfriend will be living / working, but I'm off to Madeira in a couple of weeks so that will be another TCC struck off the list. I'm also going to the Montreal F1 Grand Prix in June for my brother's stag so I'm hoping to get to St. Pierre or Miquelon at that time.

Other potential trips include Nepal / Bhutan, Sofia / Bulgaria, or some islands in the Med. My girlfriend is from Spain but is looking for teaching jobs in the US / UK so sadly I'm going to have to start making some travel sacrifices if I want to spend time with her during my time off (I work a 1:1 rotation in Yemen).

So that's my story but I want to hear what other's have in the works!
Old Jan 26, 2015, 1:14 am

Off to Sudan on Thursday for the first trip of 2015. A trip to South Sudan is also booked and paid for the weekend after with hauteboy.

Still sussing out the rest of the plans for the year but want to see some more of Africa and am looking at trips to Rwanda, D.R. Congo, Eritrea, Ethiopia, Chad, Niger and hopefully West Africa.
Old Jan 26, 2015, 6:42 am

Programs: LH, BA, TK
Nothing so hardcore.
As for now planned Colombia, Jordan, Lebanon, Azerbaijan and a couple of -stans for summer (priority to easier visas).
Old Jan 26, 2015, 7:44 am

Programs: UA GS, AS MVP 100K, DL Diamond, Marriot Lifetime Titanium, AmEx Centurion
Off for a trip up the east coast of Africa next week - Malawi, Madacascar, Comoros, Tanzania, Uganda, Eritrea and ending in Yemen.

Chad and CAR in September with FlyIgglesFly perhaps returning home via Sudan

Belize for a dive trip late spring

Cuba for the Havana marathon in November

Then, capping it off in December with an Algeria, Mali, Mauritania, The Gambia, Guinea, Guinea-Bissau, Liberia, Sierra Leone run

That should leave me just 5 countries to go in 2016!
Old Jan 26, 2015, 10:27 am

Currently on a trip to Sri Lanka, Maldives, India, Nepal and hopefully South Sudan (South Sudan is shared trip with DanielW). I started the year visiting Mauritius, Reunion and Comoros.

In March I'm going to Chad & Niger (also with DanielW) and looking to throw somewhere else in, Mauritania and/or Senegal most likely. That will leave me with 17 countries to go.

September I'm going to Abu Dhabi for a long weekend thanks to the Etihad Christmas present. Already been to Dubai (though it's been awhile) and Abu Dhabi but might explore the other emirates.

After that I'm not sure as I've blown through my vacation days already this year...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.