30th birthday trip...... ABZ-DUB-LHR-LAX-HNL-OGG-HNL-LIH-HNL-LAX-LHR-DUB-ABZ

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

30th birthday trip...... ABZ-DUB-LHR-LAX-HNL-OGG-HNL-LIH-HNL-LAX-LHR-DUB-ABZ

Search this Thread

Old Sep 5, 2015, 3:34 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
Loving the report, reminding me that I ought to head back to the Hawaiian Islands again in 2016. Also, scarily, reminding me that I'm going to have to book something for my big 4-0.... yikes!
Old Sep 5, 2015, 4:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GMLFL, Life 2.0 - Mucci Premiere Classe & des Chevaliers Toulousiens
Cool report. Bit too cool for you maybe. Hope the weather clears and that you have a wonderful trip.
Old Sep 5, 2015, 5:43 pm
Suspended
Hilton Contributor Badge

Great report so far. May I ask what camera you've been using for your photos? Your T5 ones were especially good.
Old Sep 5, 2015, 5:49 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Etihad Gold, Westjet Gold, Virgin Gold, Hyatt Diamond, HHGold, CCGold, IHGPlat and Ambass
Hi Stu

Great trip report...

Currently also on a similar Avios 241 for my 50th birthday and also from ABZ!

Am doing ABZ to LHR to LAX to SFO to JFK to IAD to JFK to BOS to JFK then EWR to LHR to ABZ!

The A380 in first last week to LAX in First was excellent and out first time on the 380. Great crew and service and a nice smooth flight

Currently on the AA 321T in First from SFO to JFK. Been a bit bumpy most of the way but the wifi is working!! It's pretty good overal but if we could have redeemed for Business on Avios I would probably have been equally happy with that!

Safe and happy travels

Cheers
Old Sep 6, 2015, 3:54 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Honors Diamond, Mucci de buveur de gin
Originally Posted by Calchas
Great report thanks for posting

I find the American staff are often not very professional, unlike BA (not intended to be biased it's just what I see).

No apparent dress code, often they start making an announcement and then forget what they're going to say, sometimes they seem quite unfamiliar with the aircraft they operate (maybe the crew aren't passengers very often), when things are broken they don't really seem to know what to do ...
Thanks Calchas. Agree with everything you say. They were just a bit of a mish mash!

Originally Posted by JimEddie
Loving the report, reminding me that I ought to head back to the Hawaiian Islands again in 2016. Also, scarily, reminding me that I'm going to have to book something for my big 4-0.... yikes!
Thanks JimEddie. I already want to plan to go back to Hawaii!

Originally Posted by henkybaby
Cool report. Bit too cool for you maybe. Hope the weather clears and that you have a wonderful trip.
Thankfully the weather got much better during the time I was there. Thanks for reading henkybaby.

Originally Posted by andset1191
Great report so far. May I ask what camera you've been using for your photos? Your T5 ones were especially good.
You might not believe me, but it's just the trusted iPhone5! And not even any filter! Thanks for reading and commenting andset1191

Originally Posted by jamesegrant
Hi Stu

Great trip report...

Currently also on a similar Avios 241 for my 50th birthday and also from ABZ!

Am doing ABZ to LHR to LAX to SFO to JFK to IAD to JFK to BOS to JFK then EWR to LHR to ABZ!

The A380 in first last week to LAX in First was excellent and out first time on the 380. Great crew and service and a nice smooth flight

Currently on the AA 321T in First from SFO to JFK. Been a bit bumpy most of the way but the wifi is working!! It's pretty good overal but if we could have redeemed for Business on Avios I would probably have been equally happy with that!

Safe and happy travels

Cheers
Hope you enjoy your trip jamesegrant and thanks for reading! F on the Transcon is one that I want to try at some point!
Old Sep 6, 2015, 2:41 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
I know I commented towards the start of the report, but just to say once again.. great report.

Agree with your words on the AA FAs.. on my JFK-LAX one of them was wearing a very skimpy dress and took no qualms in not closing her legs when she bent down.

I was staying in Waikiki in May and the weather was considerably better!
Old Sep 6, 2015, 8:36 pm

Programs: DL GM, AA PLAT, Hilton Gold, AMEX Plat
In fairness to the FA's, AA just started putting the A321H on the Hawaii routes (as of August 18th I believe). Prior to that, AA had been flying 757s to Hawaii for 15-20 years, so she wasn't lying when she said it was a brand new aircraft.

Hopefully they'll have everything sorted within a few weeks (and no more burned nuts).
Old Sep 7, 2015, 12:14 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Schwann
I know I commented towards the start of the report, but just to say once again.. great report.

Agree with your words on the AA FAs.. on my JFK-LAX one of them was wearing a very skimpy dress and took no qualms in not closing her legs when she bent down.

I was staying in Waikiki in May and the weather was considerably better!
Thanks again Schwann. Next part coming up later. Glad your weather was better in May!

Originally Posted by YtravelF
In fairness to the FA's, AA just started putting the A321H on the Hawaii routes (as of August 18th I believe). Prior to that, AA had been flying 757s to Hawaii for 15-20 years, so she wasn't lying when she said it was a brand new aircraft.

Hopefully they'll have everything sorted within a few weeks (and no more burned nuts).
Thanks for commenting YtravelF. I mean the nuts thing didn't bother me that much but I would have thought (hoped) that AA would have trained its FAs on the new aircraft (ovens and all!) before letting them loose on it!
Old Sep 7, 2015, 7:25 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by stu1985
Intro

I have finally turned old. I will be 30 in October. I am already suicidal at the thought of it. I always thought of myself as being married off after 25 and settled down. Well that didn't happen.
I like reading your wanderings as a singleton....reminds me of the days I was able to do that. Although my travels were nowhere near as comfortable as yours.

Enjoy it while you still can. ^
Old Sep 8, 2015, 2:33 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by HIDDY
I like reading your wanderings as a singleton....reminds me of the days I was able to do that. Although my travels were nowhere near as comfortable as yours.

Enjoy it while you still can. ^
Thanks HIDDY. Glad you managed to gallivant as much in your hey day! Plan to enjoy it while I can!

I was just saying this morning that I could be doing with another holiday.

My Euromillions need to come up sooner rather than later!
Old Sep 8, 2015, 2:36 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Accor Gold
Are you in the same office as me?
I've just been talking to a colleague about the same thing.
After my Hawaii trip in December I have nothing planned!
I normally have about 3 things (including at least one cruise) planned in advance.
I feel sick.
Old Sep 8, 2015, 2:46 am

Programs: BA GOLD/OWE BA Amex Prem Plus Tesco Airmiles Qantas Bronze IHG SPG Eithad
Enjoying your TR, your photos are amazing and so clear, and as you said on your Iphone 5, Those nuts did look rather burnt, hope they did not taste to unpleasant. Sorry that you had some torrential that is certainly what one does not want when going on holiday. Hope though you enjoyed the rest of the days in HNL. Need to put HNL back onto my list of to do things, have not been back since we went in 1980. Look forward to hearing and reading the rest of your TR when you have time.^
Old Sep 8, 2015, 3:14 am
Original Poster

I woke up the next morning to sun! Yay!

I loved looking up towards the hills and just seeing all of the clouds gather there in between the two valleys just slowly rolling over the hills.

After making some takeaway coffee in the room, I decided that I would go on one of the Waikiki trolleys to see a bit more of the area. The Green Line went round to Diamond Head and I quite fancied hiking (I use the term loosely) to the top. So, shorts and vest on, I left and found the ticket booth in the mall across the road. One ticket is $20 or you can pay $38 which gives you access to each of the four lines for two days. I couldn't use it the second day because I had a day trip planned but decided to go on more than just the Green Line today.

Like clockwork, the Green Line pulled up and there was this great big guy driving the trolley - Patrick. He was a star. It's maybe part of the job to be chatty but he was great fun, too. We pulled away from Waikiki Beach and made our way round the coastal road stopping off at various points along the way.

"OK ladies and gentlemen, on the right here is Diamond Head lighthouse. It's coming up. I am going to do illegal stop so you can see. So get all of your cameras out now. It's coming up. See the sign? I am going to disregard that sign so take pictures, lots of pictures!"

Patrick dropped off "the hikers" at the entrance to Diamond Head and told us to stock up on water. Thankfully I had come prepared. It was only around 9.30am but it was still pushing 30 degrees. From bottom to top took maybe around 30 minutes. And boy, I was dripping when I got to the top! There was a faint breeze which was welcome but everyone looked red and sweaty.....not a great look! (No selfies from this part!)

Getting there....and then the views from the top over Waikiki were wonderful!

The hike down was much easier than the way up!

Patrick had done his one hour loop by this point so when the trolley pulled up and I heard that familiar voice, I knew it would be an interesting trip back down to Waikiki. And it was. More great chat and his tip at the end was well earned.

I nipped into the hotel, showered and changed. I then hopped onto the Red Line which took me into central Honolulu. I got off at the State Capitol (which was shut) and then had a wander where I had the misfortune to get caught in a torrential downpour. Thank GOD for Starbucks being absolutely everywhere so I could dry off!

Queen Lili'uokalani of Hawaii

Senate and House of Representatives not sitting but you could still see down into the chambers.

State Supreme Court

After drying off and the rain stopping (which took ages), I headed off in search of The Pig and the Lady which someone had recommended to me. I managed to get a seat at the bar and ordered a load of food - probably more than I needed but it was amazing! Great bar tender who kept my IPA topped up, too!

After lunch, I made my way back to one of the bus stops and got back on the bus.

There was then another torrential downpour and even although there was a roof on the bus, that was of no use when the rain was horizontal. Oh, and every time the bus stopped or turned a corner, the water from the roof came spilling into the bus. It was certainly an experience!

Honolulu was OK. It is just like any other American city I suppose. Maybe if things were open then I would have more to say about it. I'm glad I went to have a wander around though.

After getting back to the hotel, I kicked back on the balcony with a few beers and some nibbles and then took a walk down to the beach later in the evening.

It was to be an early start the next morning to get to the airport for some Maui action so I got to bed relatively early and was soon in the land of nod.

Last edited by stu1985; Sep 21, 2015 at 2:09 pm
Old Sep 8, 2015, 3:16 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JamieABZ
Are you in the same office as me?
I've just been talking to a colleague about the same thing.
After my Hawaii trip in December I have nothing planned!
I normally have about 3 things (including at least one cruise) planned in advance.
I feel sick.
Haha! A lot of us Aberdonians must like our Hawaii trips! I really want to plan another one!

Originally Posted by BA5E
Enjoying your TR, your photos are amazing and so clear, and as you said on your Iphone 5, Those nuts did look rather burnt, hope they did not taste to unpleasant. Sorry that you had some torrential that is certainly what one does not want when going on holiday. Hope though you enjoyed the rest of the days in HNL. Need to put HNL back onto my list of to do things, have not been back since we went in 1980. Look forward to hearing and reading the rest of your TR when you have time.^
Thanks BA5E. I tasted one nut and then left the rest....!
Old Sep 10, 2015, 3:22 am
Original Poster

After being rudely awoken at 5.40am, I grabbed a shower and made some coffee. I decided just to get the local bus to the airport rather than spending $40 on a taxi to get there. I think I jumped on the 19 or 21, paid my $2.50 and dozed on and off for the 50 minutes or so it took to get to Honolulu airport. I was travelling with just my man bag () so joined the line for security (which wasn't long at all) and got through to departures. After making a pit stop at Starbucks for another coffee and something to eat, I wandered down to the gate which was a haven of tranquility. It was right beside the cool outside garden which the airport has.

I sat for 30 mins or so watching off of the Hawaiian birds off on their short trips to the neighbouring islands.

HA320, HNL-OGG, N476HA

Boarding was completed pretty quickly and I was surprised how busy the flight was. It was on a 717 - a new one for me - and I was right up at the back, a few rows from the door in the tail of the plane. Had the seat next to me free which was nice. It was a relaxed atmosphere with the flight attendants going around greeting everyone with "Aloha!".

It was a strange feeling taking off with the engine right by my ears but quite cool at the same time. We took off and headed over Waikiki and across beside Diamond Head - which made for some brilliant views from the air - before heading out to the ocean for the short hop across to Maui.

Warning: Instagram pic....

The flight attendants wandered through the cabin with small cartons of juice and as they were doing that, we started descending into Maui.

We landed and got a Mahalo for flying with Hawaiian Airlines.

Welcome to Maui!

I had pre-booked a car with Avis so headed to the bus stop and got the shuttle bus across the car park to their offices. I was slightly apprehensive about hiring the car but knew that was going to be the only way to actually see the island. I had never driven abroad before, let alone drive an automatic car! As an aside, Avis didn't require to see the confirmation code that the UK government now say is needed whenever you hire a car abroad.

So, after picking the car up and doing a slight detour down a side road to get the hang of the automatic car, I was soon on the freeway. I didn't really have a plan apart from stopping off at loads of places as I made my way north into the hills. There were some beaches in the guide book which were recommended which I wanted to stop at.

I stopped at this beach about 10 mins from the airport for half an hour or so. The weather was great so I popped into the sea and swam around for a while and then dried off. There was just me and a fisherman and a couple of other people here. It was very, very quiet.

I then made my way up into the hills. Wow, what an experience. The driving was slightly hairy at points with roads which could barely cater for one car let alone with another one coming in the opposite direction! Oh, that and the occasional falling rock from the hills It was well worth it though. The views as I got higher up and further around the island were breathtaking. The pictures probably don't do any justice to the scenery, but here goes...

The trusted hire car!

Panorama shot which worked!

I wanted to see the Blowhole but had convinced myself that I had driven too far around. It wasn't signposted which was a pity. However, at a random stop, I came across it. After a climb down some rocks, I got first hand experience of the sea water coming rushing into the hole in the rock and shooting upwards - it was great!

Another deserted beach.....

I stopped off late in the afternoon for some lunch in a small town. Some macadamia encrusted fish - amazing!

And then back to the airport where there was a nice sunset unfolding...

The Honolulu flights were delayed because the airport had been shut due to thunder and lightning earlier in the day. I found a bar and had a few pints while waiting for the inbound plane to arrive.

HA555, OGG-HNL, N486HA

Again, another short hop across to HNL. I got a coffee and a juice.

And we were back in Honolulu. One thing that is great coming in from the islands is that the plane doesn't actually line up to the runway until it is a couple of hundred feet from the ground. It's a fun experience - flying straight and you can clearly see things on the ground below and then a sharpish right turn at the very last minute before you land.

Last edited by stu1985; Sep 21, 2015 at 2:32 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.