FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - 30th birthday trip...... ABZ-DUB-LHR-LAX-HNL-OGG-HNL-LIH-HNL-LAX-LHR-DUB-ABZ
Old Sep 8, 2015, 3:14 am
stu1985

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Honors Diamond, Mucci de buveur de gin
I woke up the next morning to sun! Yay!

I loved looking up towards the hills and just seeing all of the clouds gather there in between the two valleys just slowly rolling over the hills.

After making some takeaway coffee in the room, I decided that I would go on one of the Waikiki trolleys to see a bit more of the area. The Green Line went round to Diamond Head and I quite fancied hiking (I use the term loosely) to the top. So, shorts and vest on, I left and found the ticket booth in the mall across the road. One ticket is $20 or you can pay $38 which gives you access to each of the four lines for two days. I couldn't use it the second day because I had a day trip planned but decided to go on more than just the Green Line today.

Like clockwork, the Green Line pulled up and there was this great big guy driving the trolley - Patrick. He was a star. It's maybe part of the job to be chatty but he was great fun, too. We pulled away from Waikiki Beach and made our way round the coastal road stopping off at various points along the way.

"OK ladies and gentlemen, on the right here is Diamond Head lighthouse. It's coming up. I am going to do illegal stop so you can see. So get all of your cameras out now. It's coming up. See the sign? I am going to disregard that sign so take pictures, lots of pictures!"

Patrick dropped off "the hikers" at the entrance to Diamond Head and told us to stock up on water. Thankfully I had come prepared. It was only around 9.30am but it was still pushing 30 degrees. From bottom to top took maybe around 30 minutes. And boy, I was dripping when I got to the top! There was a faint breeze which was welcome but everyone looked red and sweaty.....not a great look! (No selfies from this part!)

Getting there....and then the views from the top over Waikiki were wonderful!

The hike down was much easier than the way up!

Patrick had done his one hour loop by this point so when the trolley pulled up and I heard that familiar voice, I knew it would be an interesting trip back down to Waikiki. And it was. More great chat and his tip at the end was well earned.

I nipped into the hotel, showered and changed. I then hopped onto the Red Line which took me into central Honolulu. I got off at the State Capitol (which was shut) and then had a wander where I had the misfortune to get caught in a torrential downpour. Thank GOD for Starbucks being absolutely everywhere so I could dry off!

Queen Lili'uokalani of Hawaii

Senate and House of Representatives not sitting but you could still see down into the chambers.

State Supreme Court

After drying off and the rain stopping (which took ages), I headed off in search of The Pig and the Lady which someone had recommended to me. I managed to get a seat at the bar and ordered a load of food - probably more than I needed but it was amazing! Great bar tender who kept my IPA topped up, too!

After lunch, I made my way back to one of the bus stops and got back on the bus.

There was then another torrential downpour and even although there was a roof on the bus, that was of no use when the rain was horizontal. Oh, and every time the bus stopped or turned a corner, the water from the roof came spilling into the bus. It was certainly an experience!

Honolulu was OK. It is just like any other American city I suppose. Maybe if things were open then I would have more to say about it. I'm glad I went to have a wander around though.

After getting back to the hotel, I kicked back on the balcony with a few beers and some nibbles and then took a walk down to the beach later in the evening.

It was to be an early start the next morning to get to the airport for some Maui action so I got to bed relatively early and was soon in the land of nod.

Last edited by stu1985; Sep 21, 2015 at 2:09 pm