Community
Wiki Posts
Search

30th birthday trip...... ABZ-DUB-LHR-LAX-HNL-OGG-HNL-LIH-HNL-LAX-LHR-DUB-ABZ

Search this Thread

Old Sep 18, 2015, 2:53 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Honors Diamond, Mucci de buveur de gin
I got up the next morning and decided to take the Blue trolley line around the east coast of the island. In total, the trip took about two and a half hours. It was well worth it and was nice to see some other parts of the island. Again, a lovely driver - a young girl with great knowledge and good humour. The only slightly annoying thing was her sidekick - this old guy who kept coming round the bus telling everyone "Now, you know that the bus drivers here live off their tips, don't you?". Erm, whatever. I was gonna give her something anyway. Now p!ss off!

Hello rabbit head!

And in the distance is, what the locals call, the sleeping giant....See if you can make him out!

The bus dropped me back off in the centre of Waikiki and I nipped back to the hotel to change into some beach gear. I fancied an afternoon at the beach again to top up the old tan (us Scots need as much colour as we can get!) so headed down there after picking up some lunch.

I enjoyed my afternoon of chilling out and swimming. I left the beach around 6pm and there was this wonderful smell of seafood being cooked on the street. I walked past and these guys were cooking garlic prawns which looked great. I immediately decided I needed to have some. They tasted brilliant (at the time.......) and I enjoyed eating them as I wandered back to the hotel.

I did a bit of packing and then had dinner at a place close to the hotel with a few beers and headed off to bed relatively early because I had an early start the next morning - the alarm was set for 4.50am and I was getting picked up at 5.30am for my 7.10am flight.

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Now this is where things get slightly difficult. I woke just before 4.30am feeling a bit weird. My stomach was in agony and then I had to run to the bathroom. Without putting too fine a point on it, there was no way I was making the bus to take me to the airport. I was attached to the toilet for a long time. I still maintain I got a duff prawn.

So then I started stressing. It was now around 6.30am and I had just managed to get dressed. I still felt like sh!t and didn't know whether I could make the trip to the airport without having to stop en route.....

Anyway, I got a taxi outside of the hotel within a few minutes and got to the airport at 7am. I knew that I had missed the flight - there was no way that I would make it. After a trip to the bathroom I went to the AA desks. To find that nobody was there. I asked one of the Delta ladies: "Oh, they don't work inbetween flights. They are only there when they have to check people in. They won't be back until at least 9.30am". Cue me doing the maths in my head.....That's 12.30pm LA time. Means the flight would be leaving earliest 2.30pm LA time (if indeed there's another flight to LA) which means I would miss my connection to Heathrow. Damn. So now I phone AA to see if they could help me over the phone. I must have got through to some old dragon who had had a horrendous day because she was as useful as a chocolate teapot. "No, there's nothing I can do. You'll have to wait until someone comes back to the desk".

So now I had to work out a way to get myself to LA. There was a United flight leaving at 9.30am so I decided that I would have to get that one if I wanted to get the flight back to Heathrow that evening. I got this great employee who looked slightly taken aback when I said I didn't have a ticket. I explained to her what had happened and she took me under her wing and helped me out. "Now, if I sell you a ticket here then it's more expensive than if you use the website. So let me get the website on my computer and you can buy the ticket online."

$455 later and I had a ticket in coach () for the flight across to LA. It was 8.45am and the lady told me that I had to get a move on as they were away to start boarding. I got through security and they were boarding as I got to the gate.

UA1221, LAX-HNL, N73860

I was towards the back in Row 36 or something. Thankfully, the middle seat was free which was great. There were blankets on the seats and all I really wanted to do was sleep some more.

I was slightly less stressed than I was earlier in the morning and settled down for the longish flight across the ocean. We pushed back on time. And then stopped. And stayed stopped. And then we moved again. Towards a different gate at the opposite side of the airport. "Folks, we're having an issue up front here with the flaps on the wings. Now we've noticed it, we want to get it checked out before we can get on the way to LAX. At the moment, I don't know whether we will have to get another aircraft to operate the flight but be assured that we will do everything we can to try fix this problem and get you on the way as soon as possible".

Agh! Typical!

Poorly flaps...

Door at front opens. "Folks, I am the United representative here at Honolulu airport. We're getting the maintenance guys over here to take a look at the plane. We won't deplane you at the moment but if we have to then I'd ask that you stay close to the gate area so that we can get you back on again quickly and on your way. We will give you the next update in 10 minutes."

Now I'm stressing. But! 10 mins later the problem (whatever it was) had been fixed and we were soon trundling across the taxiways and over to the runway and on our way to LA. Thank God!

I slept on and off for a few hours and actually felt much better when I woke up. It struck me flying over the ocean that there really is nothing down there and that we would be screwed if we had a problem with the plane!

The boys up front managed to make up some time and we got into LA near enough on time.

Hi LAX!!

Eventually got off the plane and eventually got my luggage (which seemed to take forever) and then walked about a mile to get to TBIT!

Last edited by stu1985; Sep 24, 2015 at 5:37 am
Old Sep 18, 2015, 3:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Wow bad times! I saw the prawn guys - did smell nice! What happened to your remaining legs??
Old Sep 19, 2015, 3:51 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mikeyfly
Wow bad times! I saw the prawn guys - did smell nice! What happened to your remaining legs??
Thankfully I made it!
Old Sep 19, 2015, 4:31 am
Original Poster

Once I was checked in, I made my way to the Qantas First Class Lounge. Wow. This place is great. Nice decor, attentive staff and some great food. First stop - shower.

Very pleasant guy manning the showers - showed me to the room and told me to let him know if I needed anything. Great shower pressure and no noisy plug hole a la BA showers!!

After that, I headed into the lounge and grabbed a pew. Within a minute, a waitress was over and asked if she could get me something to drink. I went with some water and a glass of fizz.

Feeling better and actually starving by this point, I decided to head to the restaurant and grab something to eat. I'd heard good things about the salt and pepper squid so decided to forgive yesterday's mishap with seafood and get back on the wagon. I loved the open kitchen which allowed you to watch the chefs at work.

The steak was pretty damn good, too. After I finished that, it was about time to head over to the gate. As I got there, there was no queue so I was through and onto the plane in no time.

BA268, LAX-LHR, G-XLEG

I installed myself in 53K and was promptly offered a glass of fizz along with refill a while later. With masses of storage in the bins at the side, I felt like I had heaps of room around me.

Amenity kits and menus were then handed out while we were on the ground.

There's something about sitting backwards when taking off that I love so I enjoyed the take off and the climb out from LA.

First up: drinks and nuts.

Menu:

Dinner was a bit of a let down to be honest.

Prawns were tasty but the weird potato thing at the side was just wrong. Raw, cold potato can never be a good thing! The salad was tasty enough, though.

I asked for the steak to be as rare as they could do (whist knowing that they would have to reheat it). Last time I flew in CW from SFO, they actually managed to give me a pretty good medium steak. This time, it was a disaster. It was disappointing because the dish looked and smelled great!

Dessert was tasty enough and I was enjoying it until, all of a sudden, we hit turbulence. My coffee went absolutely everywhere!

The crew were told to take their seats for a while until we passed through it.

After a nightcap, I settled down for the night and got a decent sleep, waking up around 2 and a half hours before landing. I decided to have a drink and pop on a film to watch.

The lights were switched on after a while and breakfast was served. Thankfully, BA have upped their offering with breakfast and offer something more substantial than a bacon roll in business class. The smoothie is also great!

After we landed in a cold, rainy London, I made my way across to flight connections for the flight back to DUB. I had around 90 minutes which was fine. I got into the FLounge and grabbed myself a drink and rehydrated. Boarding was soon called.

BA824, LHR-DUB, G-EUUI

Usual hot rag handed out while we were on the ground.

Mr 2A decided to be a complete ar*ehole and thought it was acceptable to do this....

I think he got the fact that I was annoyed after the 5th time his stinking foot hit my elbow when I gave it quite a tough nudge.

Food - usual small salad on this short hop across to Dublin. I ate the chicken and the green stuff and left the rest.

There were some nice views as we left Wales and then came in to Dublin.

I love the rays of sun in this pic...

And that was that! I was one of the first through passport control and my suitcases were amongst the first ten off. I headed outside and got onto the free airport bus to the Crowne Plaza by the airport.

Last edited by stu1985; Sep 24, 2015 at 9:37 am
Old Sep 19, 2015, 9:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Did BA notice that you missed your HNL-LAX sector?
Old Sep 19, 2015, 11:59 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Calchas
Did BA notice that you missed your HNL-LAX sector?
Certainly not at the airport. There was no hassle when I checked in for the LAX-LHR flight. I emailed them explaining what happened and asked if they'd still give me the TPs and Avios. I haven't heard back yet
Old Sep 19, 2015, 5:58 pm

Programs: OW/AA, DL, UA; Marriott Titanium
Fantastic report! I grew up in California and went to Hawaii more than once haven't been as often since. It was great to rediscover the islands through you for this report, and inspiring for an upcoming trip later this year.

Yes, renting a car and doing spontaneous island drive arounds that leave room for stopping whenever/wherever is THE way ro go.

Loved the authentic writing style as well ^ ^ ^
Old Sep 20, 2015, 3:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Thanks, stu1985, for a great TR with some fantastic pictures - especially some of the airborne ones. I rarely get to sit in a window seat [that's iWife's privilege] and whenever I do I always seem to have a scratched or dirty one that prevents taking photos!

The whole TR has brought back fond memories of our HNL run back in January, and has reminded me that it was a good idea to book again for this coming January

The rogue shrimp from the street stall ... was that by any chance from the portable gazebo outside the Pacific Beach Hotel at the Zoo end of Kalakaua Avenue? Garlic shrimp, rice and salad in a styrofoam box? That was at our hotel, and it will be again in Jan, but now I'm nervous about the shrimp [we had them several times from there, so you must have been VERY unlucky].

Old Sep 20, 2015, 10:47 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by skye1
Fantastic report! I grew up in California and went to Hawaii more than once haven't been as often since. It was great to rediscover the islands through you for this report, and inspiring for an upcoming trip later this year.

Yes, renting a car and doing spontaneous island drive arounds that leave room for stopping whenever/wherever is THE way ro go.

Loved the authentic writing style as well ^ ^ ^
Thanks for reading skye1! Glad I inspired you for your trip - enjoy it when it comes!

Originally Posted by T8191
Thanks, stu1985, for a great TR with some fantastic pictures - especially some of the airborne ones. I rarely get to sit in a window seat [that's iWife's privilege] and whenever I do I always seem to have a scratched or dirty one that prevents taking photos!

The whole TR has brought back fond memories of our HNL run back in January, and has reminded me that it was a good idea to book again for this coming January

The rogue shrimp from the street stall ... was that by any chance from the portable gazebo outside the Pacific Beach Hotel at the Zoo end of Kalakaua Avenue? Garlic shrimp, rice and salad in a styrofoam box? That was at our hotel, and it will be again in Jan, but now I'm nervous about the shrimp [we had them several times from there, so you must have been VERY unlucky].
Thanks Uncle T for reading. Last part coming soon. Hope you didn't have to sit for too long Love sitting at the window and looking out at what it passing below - can get some great views. Hope you enjoy your return journey in January. I want to book to go again! Shrimp was for a portable gazebo but slightly further up the street. And yes, I must have been very unlucky. Never mind - these things happen. Don't let it put you off!
Old Sep 20, 2015, 10:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by stu1985
Thanks Uncle T for reading. Last part coming soon. Hope you didn't have to sit for too long Love sitting at the window and looking out at what it passing below - can get some great views. Hope you enjoy your return journey in January. I want to book to go again! Shrimp was for a portable gazebo but slightly further up the street. And yes, I must have been very unlucky. Never mind - these things happen. Don't let it put you off!
Ahh, competition
The Pacific Beach started doing that in January while we were there, presumably to keep the kitchen staff occupied in the early evening! ... I guess others may have taken up the idea.
Old Sep 20, 2015, 11:14 am
Original Poster

And so I got to the Crowne Plaza hotel. I checked in just after 7pm. Like most Crowne Plazas, there's a club lounge so when I dumped my stuff in my room, I went up there. Usually, there's canapés and drinks between 6 and 8pm. The lounge was dead when I got there.

I went down to reception to ask. It seemingly shuts at 7pm. The lady on the desk handed me a voucher for a free glass of wine in the bar which I accepted. I sat for a while in the bar and when I decided that I was hungry, the bar had stopped serving food. Fear not I was told....the restaurant was open much later. So I toodled through there and had a great Pad Thai.

After that, I was getting a bit tired so headed up to bed.

But of course, a trip back from Hawaii wouldn't be complete without a bit of jet lag which woke me up at a ridiculously early hour. I dozed for a wee while. I was tempted to go to the gym but I decided that staying in bed was a better option. I did go see what it looked like though!

I went up to the club lounge for breakfast (which was being served at the usual times and hadn't finished early.....). There was a decent spread of continental breakfast and a very attentive waitress who would refill coffees even though there was a self service machine.

After breakfast, there was still some time left before I had to check out so I had a nap and then packed my stuff. I checked out around half 11 and the bus dropped me off at the airport at 11.45am. Bag was checked in and I was spewed out into the shopping mall after security. I found a quiet spot and just chilled before walking to the gate to get the bus to the plane.

EI3242, DUB-ABZ, EI-FAV

The flight was ram packed. Who would have thought so many people wanted to go to Aberdeen on a Tuesday afternoon?! Anyway, once everyone was on, someone wound up the propellers (joke) and we were off up into the clouds. I dozed on and off for most of the flight - jet lag kicking right in by this point!

I woke up as we were coming through the last of the clouds. We flew in over Aberdeen city centre which gave a great view of the harbour, the rain over the sea and the tiniest hint of a rainbow too.

And with that, I was back in Aberdeen. Rainy Aberdeen. When I got back home it was pouring down. What a nice welcome back!

So, all in all, I had a brilliant trip to Hawaii. I would go back at the drop of a hat. I am tempted to go again next year and work it in with a trip to San Francisco to see a friend. We will see.

Thanks to all who have read and commented - I hope you enjoyed my wee story!

Last edited by stu1985; Sep 27, 2015 at 2:41 am
Old Sep 20, 2015, 12:50 pm

Programs: OW/AA, DL, UA; Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by stu1985
Thanks for reading skye1! Glad I inspired you for your trip - enjoy it when it comes!
It comes in November, and am already nailing car rentals (car hire).

Couldn't pass up a £290 return from AMS (economy, but will upgrade to biz with AA systemwides)
Old Sep 20, 2015, 5:02 pm

Programs: BA Blue :(
Thanks for posting, great pictures. I'm going in February.
Old Sep 21, 2015, 2:55 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BlackSkyuk
Thanks for posting, great pictures. I'm going in February.
Thanks for reading BlackSkyuk - enjoy your trip when the time comes!
Old Sep 21, 2015, 4:32 am

Another great report stu1985

What a way to celebrate your 30th, what will you do for your 40th? It will be here before you know it

Seriously though, I do admire your solo travelling. It's always such a pain if you're a fan of travel and you don't have anyone to go with so if you're brave enough to go it alone it seems very rewarding.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.