Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Union Pearson Express: Toronto's New Airport Rail Link

Search this Thread

Old Jul 9, 2016, 6:31 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: IHG Spire, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Titanium, Mileage Plus Gold
So has UP now been merged in with GO or is that still pending. Isn't the merger supposed to bring down the ticket price dramatically?
Old Jul 9, 2016, 6:41 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: IHG Spire, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Titanium, Mileage Plus Gold
Originally Posted by hkskyline
Is it really progress that a diesel train in this modern era is used for a "new" line that prices out average commuters yet used public funds for construction?

I think questions about this service's viability are indeed valid. This isn't London. Heathrow Express is supported by plenty of business travelers who can claim the bill. Toronto does not have the same volume of business traffic that can sustain a frequent premium train service to the airport. Then you price out the families who can drive or take a taxi that costs less net. So who else do you have left? The yuppies who prefer to fly out of Billy Bishop, or the backpackers and commuters that can't afford it?

They should have included a commuter service so at least to do some public good but would take longer to get to the airport to justify the savings. They spent so much money on the infrastructure already - they should make the best use of it.
And the electricity that flows through the wires can be guaranteed to be 100% clean and does not come from coal or some cousin of diesel fuel? DMU's are used all over the world and so are diesel engine pulled trains. How does using diesel in the modern world as you call it NOT make it "progress"??? The DMU's being used by UP are all Tier 4 complaint diesel engines, so its much cleaner that the garbage coming out of the smokestack of some faraway coal burning plant feeding your power lines.
Old Jul 10, 2016, 7:34 am

Programs: IHG Gold
Originally Posted by seat38a
And the electricity that flows through the wires can be guaranteed to be 100% clean and does not come from coal or some cousin of diesel fuel? DMU's are used all over the world and so are diesel engine pulled trains. How does using diesel in the modern world as you call it NOT make it "progress"??? The DMU's being used by UP are all Tier 4 complaint diesel engines, so its much cleaner that the garbage coming out of the smokestack of some faraway coal burning plant feeding your power lines.
Yes the electricity can be guaranteed not to come from coal since Ontario did away with coal powered generation.
Old Jul 10, 2016, 8:34 am

Programs: Platinum Zirconium in Life, aeroplan, FB, Avios, IHG
Originally Posted by dhammer53
While the website said otherwise, the reality is it is 12$cad 1 way for students and adults. Over 65 set us back 6$cad for a 1 way ticket.

dh
It has been updated. $12 one way for adults

Families are $25

Seniors $6

https://www.upexpress.com/Tickets/Tickets
Old Jul 11, 2016, 10:33 am

Programs: AC S100K, SPG, etc., NEXUS, GOES
Is it really progress that a diesel train in this modern era is used for a "new" line that prices out average commuters yet used public funds for construction?
The UP express, like the Heathrow express, uses a short spur from an existing commuter line to the airport. At Heathrow, the existing line is electrified and most of the spur and the new stations are underground. At Toronto, everything is above ground, and an electrified UP makes no sense without the much bigger project of electrifying the Kitchener line to which it connects.

When they dropped the fares, they also added fares for airport employees, $3.50 per trip or $140 for a monthly pass, somewhat less than the GO fares from the Malton or Etobicoke North stations. They also seem to have negotiable bulk fares for companies whose employees take the UP a lot.

I took it the other day. For $12 to downtown where I could walk to my appointment on Bay St, it wasn't a bad deal.
Old Jul 12, 2016, 12:17 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA GM, AA GM, DL GM
Originally Posted by corruptcanadian
It has been updated. $12 one way for adults

Families are $25

Seniors $6

https://www.upexpress.com/Tickets/Tickets
The "Meeter and Greeter Return" (return within 4 hours) and the "Long Layover Return" (return within 7 hours) both cost the same ($12 single, $25 family). Why do they sell the "Meeter and Greeter" anymore?

Edit: figured out that the "Meeter and Greeter" tickets must start at Union/Bloor/Weston, and "Long Layover" starts at Pearson, so I guess they have different target groups.
Old Jul 13, 2016, 8:12 am

Originally Posted by seat38a
Coal is 2%. Did you bother to do some research beforehand?

http://www.energy.gov.on.ca/en/ontar...y-system-faqs/
Old Jul 14, 2016, 9:00 am

Programs: AC S100K, SPG, etc., NEXUS, GOES
Originally Posted by hkskyline
Coal is 2%. Did you bother to do some research beforehand?

http://www.energy.gov.on.ca/en/ontar...y-system-faqs/
Since they're not going to electrify the Kitchener line any time soon, why are we having this argument?
Old Jul 14, 2016, 10:40 am

Programs: FT
So what...electric...diesel...when have people in Ontario truly given a crap about the environment if it was going to cost them more....oh yah...NEVER!

the people in this province are the biggest hypocrites out there.

and for the record, i know full well my decisions are not the greatest for the environment but i am not paying more for something that is...sorry, i just won't!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.