Wiki Posts
Search

Union Pearson Express: Toronto's New Airport Rail Link

Search this Thread

Old Jun 17, 2015, 12:20 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold, *G
Union Pearson Express: Toronto's New Airport Rail Link

Toronto recently got its long-awaited rail link from Pearson International Airport (YYZ) to the downtown core. Some folks have been discussing it here.

From airport to downtown, it costs $27.50 one way or $53 return. Opting for a Presto contactless payment card brings the price of the fares down a bit but a deposit is required for the card itself. The page for the fares is here.

After arriving at terminal 1, I followed the signs for "trains" but it was tougher to find that I expected. I ended up asking someone for directions, leading me to cross from the main terminal building (near the "C" area) to the parking garage building.

Escalator to the train platform

Upon arriving at the platform, I looked to purchase a Presto card since it amounted to some savings with multiple trips. The card was not available from the machines so I had to purchase it from the end of the platform, which was fine but slightly inconvenient.

Train platform

Presto tap on pole

With Presto, you have to tap on before boarding and tap off after disembarking.

Expectedly so, the interior of the train was very nice given that it was new. The seats were comfortable and there were enough racks to stow your bags.

Train interior

Seats

Lavatory

The train makes two short stops before arriving in downtown Toronto. I was surprised to see that construction was still going on at the two intermediate stops. I managed to snap a picture of the exterior of the train during one of these stops. From the outside, I thought the train looks a lot worse.

Station map

Train exterior

Overall, it was a pleasant journey. Given the price, would I do it if I weren't traveling alone? Probably not. But if you are a solo traveler looking for a quick way to get to downtown Toronto in rush hour, this isn't a bad option.
Old Jun 17, 2015, 10:39 am

I did it Monday, albeit from downtown to Pesrson at 530 (rush hour) where it can take 60-90 minutes from my office to the airport. Lots of it just because of construction downtown.

Walked down to Union (10 mins), used my presto and 25 mins or so later I was in terminal one. Now I will expense the 19 bucks, and especially during rush hour I think it will be used a lot it's a nice service to our city.

Weekends and non rush hour times especially with People I assume many will elect to take a cab, but rush hour, winter driving - going from anywhere in the path to Pearson without having to go outside will be nice.
Old Jun 17, 2015, 6:23 pm

Programs: Non-Rev Lifetime
When I "tapped-off" using Presto card at YYZ the charge was $22.xx

http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2014...t_parking.html

It's a bit of a hike from the Bay street GO (advertised as Union) bus station to Union station proper as it is from Union station proper to the UPX platform

No one talks about using UPX to and from T3 at YYZ

https://www.upexpress.com/Content/Im...p_Lightbox.jpg

Last edited by PropWasher; Jun 17, 2015 at 7:25 pm
Old Jun 18, 2015, 1:00 am

Programs: BA, AA, SQ, UA, AC, WS, MR TIT
Congrats to YYZ and the city of Toronto for that great achievement @:-)^
Old Jun 18, 2015, 8:55 am

Originally Posted by PropWasher

It's easy. The UPX arrival platform at T1 is connected to the shuttle train to T3. Hop off and hop on. One extra stop, a few extra minutes to wait.
Old Jun 18, 2015, 11:31 pm
m.y

Programs: AC 75k, Marriott Titanium

It's a bit of a hike from the Bay street GO (advertised as Union) bus station to Union station proper as it is from Union station proper to the UPX platform

From Go bus terminal, you could take the stairs to platform 3, walk to the end of the platform, and there will be an exit to the hallway that leads to UPX platform.
Old Jun 19, 2015, 6:40 am

Programs: FT

hike. sorry, but if that is a hike, you need to walk more.
Old Jun 19, 2015, 8:54 am

Programs: Aeroplan, 50K Altitude, Nexus
I took it home this morning, instead of a cab, I live King west and thought it was pretty good.
Now I took it at 8AM, during rush hour where I normally get killed if I do these morning flights home.

I think they could have made it more Go trainish to keep costs under control, do you need a washroom and wi-fi on a 25 minute ride? It was about 50% full I'd say.
Old Jun 19, 2015, 9:30 am

Programs: Aeroplan
Originally Posted by mkjr
hike. sorry, but if that is a hike, you need to walk more.
With luggage, it is not that easy...

But still, going to fly in/out of YTZ whenever it is possible
Old Jun 19, 2015, 12:01 pm

Programs: Alaska & Hyatt
53 dollars for round trip?

Old Jun 19, 2015, 2:01 pm

As much as I love rail, I too cannot get over the price. I understand that it is cheaper than the main alternatives used by most people on this site - taxi or drive and park - but at over $50 CAD round-trip I just can't help wondering how "public" this public transportation really is.
Old Jun 19, 2015, 3:45 pm
CT1

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Plat, Aeroplan dDiamond
Originally Posted by arlflyer
As much as I love rail, I too cannot get over the price. I understand that it is cheaper than the main alternatives used by most people on this site - taxi or drive and park - but at over $50 CAD round-trip I just can't help wondering how "public" this public transportation really is.
Please. Price is very comparable to other limited-stop express services such as Heathrow Express and Hong Kong Airport Express.

The bus/subway option still exists for those who can't / won't shell out the $$ for UP. Like how the Tube is an alternative for Heathrow. Slower but cheaper.
Old Jun 19, 2015, 4:38 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.1MM , Marriott Gold Elite, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by CT1
Please. Price is very comparable to other limited-stop express services such as Heathrow Express and Hong Kong Airport Express.

The bus/subway option still exists for those who can't / won't shell out the $$ for UP. Like how the Tube is an alternative for Heathrow. Slower but cheaper.
The HK Airport Express is about $23 (USD) round trip. Much cheaper than the Pearson option.

http://www.mtr.com.hk/en/customer/tickets/tf_index.html
Old Jun 19, 2015, 4:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

thanks for posting report!

re price discussion, heathrow express can be more (after exchange rate) than pearson express (and not for premium class)
Old Jun 19, 2015, 8:48 pm

Don't think this little train as meant to be a mass transport option. Look at how small it is!

Looks like another flop and waste of taxpayers' dollars.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.