Wiki Posts
Search

Union Pearson Express: Toronto's New Airport Rail Link

Search this Thread

Old Jun 20, 2015, 1:54 am

Programs: AA Platinum, Hyatt Platinum
Originally Posted by NA-Flyer
Congrats to YYZ and the city of Toronto for that great achievement @:-)^
Needless to say that ORD and MDW have been well connected for ages Gotta wonder why cities like NYC are so behind the times. Millennials want to live in cities, not in suburbs. Cities need better public transit connectivity with their airports.
Old Jun 20, 2015, 2:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by CT1
Please. Price is very comparable to other limited-stop express services such as Heathrow Express and Hong Kong Airport Express.

The bus/subway option still exists for those who can't / won't shell out the $$ for UP. Like how the Tube is an alternative for Heathrow. Slower but cheaper.
The Narita Express is also around the same price too.
Old Jun 20, 2015, 2:58 am

Programs: Star Alliance G*, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium,
Question who is using Bloor/Dundas stop?

Originally Posted by Aventine
The Narita Express is also around the same price too.
I just rode the N'Ex to NRT last month. Transit time = 1 hour, and transit alternatives (e.g. JR Rail) double that. (I did not have to pay for the tix, as its incl. in the Japan Rail pass!)

By comparison, the UP Express takes 15 minutes and transit alternatives (e.g. TTC to 192) take up to one hour.

My question is this : Who (if anyone) is using the stop at Bloor & Dundas? From that location, the TTC takes much less than one hour! I know a lot of airline employees live near there, so perhaps any of them?
Old Jun 20, 2015, 3:22 pm

Originally Posted by UAL250
The HK Airport Express is about $23 (USD) round trip. Much cheaper than the Pearson option.

http://www.mtr.com.hk/en/customer/tickets/tf_index.html
Yes with 2 stops (Tsing Yi and Kowloon) and a Taxi ride from Central/Causeway Bay is about 50$ CDN which isn't bad at all IMO. Heathrow Express is 35-40GBP or almost 80$ cdn if you buy on board also it drops you off at Paddington. So I'll stick to the tube from T2 LHR to central London as it's about 4-5gbp.
Old Jun 21, 2015, 9:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

I never said the time was the same. Merely that the price was similar for the same kind of train. Washrooms, decent seating and luggage areas. Pearson is a lot closer from downtown Toronto (26km) than Narita is from Tokyo station (75km).

Originally Posted by Antonio8069
I just rode the N'Ex to NRT last month. Transit time = 1 hour, and transit alternatives (e.g. JR Rail) double that. (I did not have to pay for the tix, as its incl. in the Japan Rail pass!)

By comparison, the UP Express takes 15 minutes and transit alternatives (e.g. TTC to 192) take up to one hour.

My question is this : Who (if anyone) is using the stop at Bloor & Dundas? From that location, the TTC takes much less than one hour! I know a lot of airline employees live near there, so perhaps any of them?
Old Jun 21, 2015, 4:09 pm

Programs: BA GGL, TK*G EL, KL P ELPL, ex AB P, ex LH/LX Sen, HHonors D4L, Bonvoy P
I rode it for the first time today. Fast, clean, but very expensive and poorly signposted at Pearson.

There are plenty of airports offering the ride for a fraction of the price. E.g. ZRH (CHF 6.60 oneway non stop; ~CAD 9.00), AMS (EUR 4.10 oneway mostly nonstop; ~CAD 6.00), SYD (AUD 17 oneway 3-5 stops, ~CAD 16.50), VIE (EUR 3.60 about 5 stops, ~CAD 5.20), etc.
Old Jun 21, 2015, 5:45 pm

Programs: FT
Originally Posted by swiss_global
I rode it for the first time today. Fast, clean, but very expensive and poorly signposted at Pearson.

There are plenty of airports offering the ride for a fraction of the price. E.g. ZRH (CHF 6.60 oneway non stop; ~CAD 9.00), AMS (EUR 4.10 oneway mostly nonstop; ~CAD 6.00), SYD (AUD 17 oneway 3-5 stops, ~CAD 16.50), VIE (EUR 3.60 about 5 stops, ~CAD 5.20), etc.
Thanks but a criticism from a person living in a country that is as small as yours is a little like expecting Rome to be built in a day.

Yes, I love the roads in the Netherlands. I wish we could roll those out in a country the size of canada. Same with the trains.
Old Jun 22, 2015, 3:42 am

Programs: BA, AA, SQ, UA, AC, WS, MR TIT
Originally Posted by mkjr
Thanks but a criticism from a person living in a country that is as small as yours is a little like expecting Rome to be built in a day.
Probably the only cheap thing in Switzerland is the train ride from ZRH to the city center. Other things (probably everything) are quite very expensive
Old Jun 22, 2015, 4:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
$53 for a roundtrip??? LOL. Yeah, that'll really pack them in.
Sorry if I missed it, but how many billions did this soon to be white elephant cost the taxpayers?
Old Jun 22, 2015, 4:58 am
formerly gohima

Adding a data point that I just had experience with.

280 SEK (~34 USD) one way for the Arlanda Express into Stockholm.

However, I think all of these train services are overpriced, with the exception of the airport express in HKG (which you can check bags too!)
Old Jun 22, 2015, 5:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gohima
However, I think all of these train services are overpriced, with the exception of the airport express in HKG (which you can check bags too!)
One of the best bargains out there for 30+ years now...
RTA in Cleveland: airport to downtown (Public Square, Ritz-Carlton), 20km and 20 minutes for $2.25.
Old Jun 22, 2015, 6:45 am

Originally Posted by SFO777
$53 for a roundtrip??? LOL. Yeah, that'll really pack them in.
Sorry if I missed it, but how many billions did this soon to be white elephant cost the taxpayers?
it is actually only CAD$53 for those that do not ask for a plastic RFID card and load said card with $....for those people that are willing to take an extra 30 seconds out of their busy lives, it is CAD$38 rt or CAD$32 for students and seniors...cab would be about 120 rt but that would be filthier option.

but for all your rich Americans, that would be US$31 and US$26

gohima HKG express Rt is about 28CAD$ with current fx.

http://www.metrolinx.com/en/projects...upexpress.aspx

budget figures here.

sorry, but they should pay you to go to Cleveland. what is the cost of the train to the city centre in dever. just curious.

but then again, i would find it money well spent versus on a luxury barge in france. but that's just poor me.
Old Jun 22, 2015, 6:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

... what is the cost of the train to the city centre in dever. just curious...
Dever?

And when it opens next year, $9.00
http://www.rtd-denver.com/a-line.shtml
Old Jun 22, 2015, 6:59 am

Originally Posted by SFO777
Dever?

And when it opens next year, $9.00
http://www.rtd-denver.com/a-line.shtml
I see. Seems like the low cost means the tax payers subsidized the construction.

given f/x, the UP express was about 1/6th of the cost. Elephant you say?

it looks like 2.2B US is the price for A, G and B. but only A is shown. Is there more lines?

[when it comes to wasting money, our government just cancels power plant construction...]

Last edited by mkjr; Jun 22, 2015 at 7:06 am Reason: question about actual lines in denver
Old Jun 22, 2015, 7:17 am

Programs: Aeroplan, KLM Flying Blue, Lifemiles
I see. Seems like the low cost means the tax payers subsidized the construction.

given f/x, the UP express was about 1/6th of the cost. Elephant you say?

it looks like 2.2B US is the price for A, G and B. but only A is shown. Is there more lines?

[when it comes to wasting money, our government just cancels power plant construction...]
I'm sorry to do this, but lets call a spade a spade. To pretend like Metrolinx (a crown corporation) built UP without taxpayer subsidies is a highly optimistic stance. Hence UP=subsidized.

And we all know there is some ridiculous things going on there, such as paying GTAA back about $2 in lieu of lost parking revenue. (source: http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2014..._parking.html; and there are many more articles out there)

I'm a as patriotic as any one else but lets keep this argument on the facts

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.