Programs: Non-Rev Lifetime
Why am I not surprised?

Pearson airport express trains 90 per cent empty
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/...ticle26500231/

Last edited by PropWasher; Sep 23, 2015 at 9:15 pm
Old Sep 23, 2015, 9:02 pm

Originally Posted by plinko83
[...]I arrived in Toronto at 7:30am on a Wednesday and needed to deplane; clear customs/immigration and be in downtown Toronto at 8:30. Thanks to no lines at customs and the UP express, I made it to my location with 15 minutes to spare.[...]
No you didn't.
Old Sep 24, 2015, 7:16 am

Programs: Independent
Where can you get a Presto card? You can't order them online if you are not in Canada.
Old Sep 24, 2015, 7:30 am

Programs: AS MVPG, HH Diamond, Bonvoy Plat
Originally Posted by PropWasher
Filling these trains to capacity is not their goal, nor should it be.

And I disagree with a lot of what the article says; for someone coming to Toronto for the first time, I'd rather them be greeted by friendly people in retro uniforms, and a beautiful terminal facade, than a shaky, loud TTC bus.
Old Sep 24, 2015, 7:33 am

Programs: FT
Originally Posted by JamilD

And I disagree with a lot of what the article says; for someone coming to Toronto for the first time, I'd rather them be greeted by friendly people in retro uniforms, and a beautiful terminal facade, than a shaky, loud TTC bus.
exactly. nothing says welcome like a red rocket or as many experience, the M60 at LGA... ;-)
Old Sep 24, 2015, 8:44 am

No, but I would also not want to be greeted by a train one can't find, for a price that is exorbitant. If there was another supporting infrastructure besides taxis and an bus you have to figure out connections for, maybe it would qualify as a more expensive but convenient option.
Old Sep 24, 2015, 8:33 pm

In other words, screw the tax payer, let them eat cake, I'm alright Jack.

Where is this " beautiful terminal facade"?
Old Sep 26, 2015, 9:03 am

saw last week GO operating shuttle buses, was the UPX down?
perfect weather yet the trains manage to screw up. Saw people confused and scrambling to get to the buses, since signage is terrible at YYZ
Old Sep 27, 2015, 5:58 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum
Originally Posted by Cloudship
Where can you get a Presto card? You can't order them online if you are not in Canada.
Stupidly, it is not available at YYZ. You would have to get it at Union Station, and of course you would need to ride UPX to get there. A mail forwarding service is probably the best option if you need it in advance of arrival. It's silly of them not to offer an international mailing service like TfL does with the Oyster card.
Old Sep 27, 2015, 8:19 pm

Programs: MileagePlus - Gold

Where does the poster or the article ever state that filling these trains to capacity was the goal?

The post points to an article and simply states the trains are running 90% empty. I'm guessing this is currently disappointing to those involved with the project, but times are early just as they quote Del Duca.
Old Sep 28, 2015, 6:55 am

Originally Posted by willryu
Where does the poster or the article ever state that filling these trains to capacity was the goal?

The post points to an article and simply states the trains are running 90% empty. I'm guessing this is currently disappointing to those involved with the project, but times are early just as they quote Del Duca.
Once you understand the YYZ mindset that they want to take the UPE but pay TTC prices and understand that many have debt up to their eyeballs, you will understand why it is not used by a good chunk of people.
Old Sep 28, 2015, 1:35 pm

I'm on it right now (330pm) and it's at least half full

There you have it, anecdotal data for the day.

I tell you, sure more pleasant than bring stuck in a cab stressing about catching my flight
Old Sep 28, 2015, 6:34 pm

Originally Posted by grandgourmand
I'm on it right now (330pm) and it's at least half full

There you have it, anecdotal data for the day.

I tell you, sure more pleasant than bring stuck in a cab stressing about catching my flight
Or both cars are at least half empty. Who gets "stuck in a cab" stressing?
Old Oct 2, 2015, 3:58 pm

So, just took UP from the airport downtown. Some observations/tips:

There is a UP ticket counter at the airport. Directions are useless, it is on (I think it is the) second level, but far from where you come out. Had to ask for directions 3 times.

You know you have a problem with access when they have to hand you a brochure with directions from the ticket counter to the train!

Remember you have to tap your Presto card before you get on the train, and after you get off. Even worse, there are two trains sitting there and you have to ask which one is going.

It was actually pretty busy - this was around 3:30 or so. Everyone had a seat but there were no empty rows, ans some people had to sit together. Which is very hard with narrow seats and luggage. Bad design.

I will say it was clean and fast and smooth.

Good luck finding your way to the subway, and there are no maps or anythig around telling you where you need to go! That was a big mess.

But I made it here. Now to find dinner..
Old Oct 2, 2015, 5:08 pm

Originally Posted by Cloudship
So, just took UP from the airport downtown. Some observations/tips:

There is a UP ticket counter at the airport. Directions are useless, it is on (I think it is the) second level, but far from where you come out. Had to ask for directions 3 times.

You know you have a problem with access when they have to hand you a brochure with directions from the ticket counter to the train!

Remember you have to tap your Presto card before you get on the train, and after you get off. Even worse, there are two trains sitting there and you have to ask which one is going.

It was actually pretty busy - this was around 3:30 or so. Everyone had a seat but there were no empty rows, ans some people had to sit together. Which is very hard with narrow seats and luggage. Bad design.

I will say it was clean and fast and smooth.

Good luck finding your way to the subway, and there are no maps or anythig around telling you where you need to go! That was a big mess.

But I made it here. Now to find dinner..
Constructive. Pm me if you want to meet up for a brewski. I'm 8 minute walk from the platform.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.