Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

RTW trip of the year! JL/SQ/EK Suites, Four Seasons, Park Hyatt, IC, Bali Villas

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

RTW trip of the year! JL/SQ/EK Suites, Four Seasons, Park Hyatt, IC, Bali Villas

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24, 2015, 6:57 pm
Original Poster
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, *A Silver
Part XXI: We drink tea at a hotel, we drink tea at a teahouse, and we go to a Rimowa store.

We spent the night at the InterContinental Hong Kong, which in my opinion is the hotel in HK with the best view of the harbor. We stayed in a deluxe harbor view room, but because of the fog, I have no photo of the view at night. The image below is from my previous trip.

Once situated in our room, I found out that the lock on my Rimowa luggage broke and my combination was unable to open the lock. I stayed up to try all 999 combinations on the lock but none worked. Tired, I decided to sleep and worry about it tomorrow.

The next morning, we cashed in our two free drink vouchers at the lounge for some tea and fresh juice.

I also asked the concierge to contact the local Rimowa store and see if they can fix my luggage. We headed to an old school HK establishment for some proper breakfast, while anxiously waiting for the concierge’s good news.

Wonderful dim sum. Throwing me in this local environment with a girl who likes to laugh at my American accent made it a wonderful opportunity to learn and practice my Cantonese.

After breakfast, we visited the Youth Hostel. If you are interested in historical sites and museum, this is a good place to visit.

Our lazy walks around the hostel was interrupted by a call from the concierge, who said that I can take the luggage to the store on Nathan Road (a few blocks away from the IC) to get it fixed. We happily rushed back to do that.

Snake store on the way.

After hauling my carry on all the way to the Rimowa store, the store clerk fixed it in about ten seconds. He told me what the combination had been – not even remotely close to what I had set it to.

Hot pot buffet at the iSquare building.

After lunch, we hung out a bit more at the hotel before heading to the airport. Cathy decided to go with me to the airport just to spend a bit more time. Thankfully she was there to keep me company, as I got there way before the Emirates counters opened for check in.

View from the Emirates lounge at HKG.

Part XXII: I overdose on Emirates’ luxury, and a comparison of my favorite airlines.

Last edited by TOMFORD; Apr 27, 2015 at 6:41 pm
Old Apr 27, 2015, 6:40 pm
Original Poster
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, *A Silver
Part XXII: I overdose on Emirates’ luxury, and a comparison of my favorite airlines.

I reluctantly boarded my flight back home. Thankfully, I saved the best flights for last; otherwise I would be completely uninterested in taking photos of the flight or the food.

My seat.

Moet & Chandon & other gadgets.

I love these big TVs. They are much bigger than the one I have at home, mainly because I don’t have one at home. Watching TV is such a waste of time.

Amuse bouche.

Dinner was served shortly after take off.

Caviar.

Arabic Mezze.

Lamb loin.

After dinner, I had a shower. I had to ask for pajamas (and an amenity kit) before the shower. I also had for some Hennessey Paradis, which was never brought to me, until I asked two more times.

Here is a video of the gadgets and shower on Emirates, put to dramatic music, make sure your volume is on!

https://youtu.be/drbFKZGjR_w

After a short nap, I arrived in Dubai.

DXB’s elegant but soulless first class lounge.

Scallops.

Duck.

After a painfully long but not actually long wait, I boarded my flight to New York. The captain proudly announced that EK flight attendants are from 22 countries and speak 21 languages… which begs the question – who’s the flight attendant who does not know how to speak?

Next flight to New York – the food.

Foie gras.

Lamb shanks.

Cheese plate. I do care too much for “artisan cheese”, whatever that is, but these cheese were awesome.

More cheese and olives.

Breakfast.

I will skip my UA F regional flight… But I’d like to point out a few things…

Price – Japan Airlines DTW-ORD-NRT-PVG cost about $18,000, while Emirates HKG-DXB-JFK cost $10,000. Why is JL so much more expensive? Point for EK. EK:1, JL:0.

Hard product – I am a big fan of Singapore Airlines’ bed. It is so much more comfortable than any other airline bed I have slept on. The Singapore suites feel a lot more spacious and airy, at the same time provides sufficient privacy. Point for SQ. SQ:1, EK:1, JL:0.

Soft product – non-international flights aside, I have flown on TG, OZ, CA, CX, JL, SQ, and EK, and I have never been attended to more than my flights on TG F. Sure, I press the “request FA” button a lot more on SQ because the flight attendants are hot and I want to look at them more, but when it comes to unrequested attentiveness, my experience says TG has everyone beat. A point for TG and half a point for SQ for having attractive FA. TG:1, SQ:1.5, EK:1, JL:0.

Food – I don’t trust skinny chefs… just like you wouldn’t trust fat personal trainers, but skinny dudes who designed the food on SQ and JL definitely knew what they were doing. Some Japanese dishes are more of an acquired taste, but the Chinese food on SQ was heavenly. A point for SQ and a point for JL. TG:1, SQ:2.5, EK:1, JL:1.

Free stuff – I like SQ bears, but what I love more is Rimowa amenity kits, A380 playing cards, and live orchids. One point for SQ, two for TG. I was going to give props to EK as well for their Bvlgari kit, but I have been using the hand lotion today, and the smell does not wash off! My hands smell like I just drop some serious money at a cheap strip club VIP booth. That’s not the smell you want your boss to pick up. Minus half a point for EK. TG:3, SQ:3.5, EK:0.5, JL:1.

From the above empirical, statistically-sound, and completely objective data, we can conclude that Emirates is the worst airline of bunch! Just kidding, they’re awesome, but just don’t use the lotion.

That’s all folks! Look for my next international report this fall, where I stay at a Conrad, I stay at a Holiday Inn, I stay at a Four Seasons, and I stay at another Conrad. In the mean time, I may squeeze in some short reports of weekend getaways.

Cheers!

Last edited by TOMFORD; Apr 27, 2015 at 6:47 pm
Old Apr 27, 2015, 8:54 pm

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
agp423 Again, WOW!

Thanks also for the comparisons.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.