Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

RTW trip of the year! JL/SQ/EK Suites, Four Seasons, Park Hyatt, IC, Bali Villas

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

RTW trip of the year! JL/SQ/EK Suites, Four Seasons, Park Hyatt, IC, Bali Villas

Search this Thread

Old Apr 14, 2015, 8:22 pm

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
agp423 thanks for the continuing TR and great photos. I need to return to Singapore to see the Marina Bay area. being a vegetarian I always enjoy going to Little India.
also thanks for the Bali info.
Old Apr 15, 2015, 3:55 am

Originally Posted by agp423
TPR = the people's republic (of china)?
The Private Room (TPR) is a SQ lounge in SIN for F pax only. Kinda like their equivalent of the BA Concorde Room (CCR).

Originally Posted by agp423
Awesome photo, what lens/settings/post processing (if any) did you use?
Old Apr 15, 2015, 4:01 am
Original Poster
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, *A Silver
Originally Posted by HMPS
agp423 thanks for the continuing TR and great photos. I need to return to Singapore to see the Marina Bay area. being a vegetarian I always enjoy going to Little India.
also thanks for the Bali info.
Glad you're enjoying it. There are many vegetarian restaurants in Bali because of their religion, so it won't be difficult to find something for you to eat.

Originally Posted by Kangol
The Private Room (TPR) is a SQ lounge in SIN for F pax only. Kinda like their equivalent of the BA Concorde Room (CCR).

Awesome photo, what lens/settings/post processing (if any) did you use?
Oooh thanks, I never had the chance to visit. Hopefully one day.

I use a Fuji X-T1 + 35mm prime, taken at 1/100s, f4.5, hand-held bracketed on iso (2000/4000/6400), 12 images total. Minimal processing besides noise reduction and sharpening. PITA to make a panorama HDR though.
Old Apr 15, 2015, 4:53 am

Programs: Virgin Flying Club Red, Emirates Skywards Blue, BA Executive Club Blue, Amex BA
Did I miss the Bali villas?
Old Apr 15, 2015, 5:18 am
Original Poster
Accor Contributor Badge

Not there yet. HMPS sent me a message earlier inquiring some things about Bali. The Bali section of the report will come after Thailand.
Old Apr 15, 2015, 6:37 pm
Original Poster
Accor Contributor Badge

Part XI: I fly to my favorite city in SE Asia, and someone thinks he achieved fashion immortality.

I checked out of the Intercontinental Singapore as soon as breakfast was done, as I could not wait to get on with my adventure after the lull that is my previous day in Singapore. I took the MRT to the airport, which was fairly cheap. I was scheduled to fly from Singapore to Bangkok, then to Bali, but at check in, I was greeted with dreadful news.

“I’m sorry Mr. Yves, your flight to Denpasar is cancelled.”

Even though I was fearful, I was not going to let a canceled regional flight be the tragic endpoint to the vacation of a life time - I was determined that my trip to Bangkok will have a happy ending; I was also determined that my trip to Bangkok will have a conclusion that makes you feel good. After some anxious waiting and nervously checking for other flights, the agent was able to book me on the flight to Denpasar on the day after when my original flight was scheduled. One more day in Bangkok? Don’t mind if I do.

Premium cabin check in area.

Thai Airways lounge.

After strolling around the airport and finding most of the airport attractions unattractive, I headed to the Thai Airways lounge to relax before my flight. The lounge featured minimal food, drinks, space, and friendliness from the staff and travelers alike.

Alcohol selection… I remember my college dorm room had more booze than this at any given time.

BLT without the bacon, chicken sandwiches, turkey sandwiches, and tuna sandwiches.

Deep fried goodness.

Boarding time! There is this one man who was wearing a dress shirt, blazer, jeans, dress shoes, a formal white pocket squared folded in a rectangle, and a scarf around his neck being a gate lice. I eventually found out that he, too, is in business class – why do premium cabin passengers practice gatelicing?

The flight to Bangkok was on a 777 with lie-flat business eats. I had originally thought it would be on an A330, so I was pleasantly surprised. After checking afterwards, it seems that this flight is usually operated by 777s.

Thai Airways – what the heck is this printed on your menu?

Lunch – the menu.

Lunch – the actual food.

I went booze-free this flight. Opting for a Coca Cola and water.

View out the window.

After a short two hour flight, I landed in Bangkok. Here is why I really dislike this gatelice diva I told you about. Let us put aside the fact that he had perfected looking like a …. in every imaginable way – when people get out of a plane, everyone wants to get to immigration as soon as possible, because no one wants to queue behind other passengers, and that’s fine. But this guy was walking so fast, he was leaving his wife in the dust!

By the time he got to immigration, his wife wasn’t even in line yet! I had to get a picture of him. Also, unless you are from the sun, you should not be wearing this much in Singapore or Bangkok.

After the airport and some long taxi queues in the humid but familiar weather, I caught a taxi, and went on my want to Hilton Sukhumvit.

Hilton Sukhumvit main floor. You see these wide-hipped statues throughout the hotel.

I booked a standard room, and was told I was upgraded, but the room looked exactly like the one I booked online. Except I had access to the lounge, which would soon prove to be a valuable benefit.

View from the room.

View from the lounge.

I went to the lounge as soon as I settled down because I was starving. The food on the flight was unpleasant at best, so I did not eat much of it. The lounge has afternoonly happy hour and snacks all day around.

After some food and drinks, I went back to my room to wash some of my clothes. Because I was traveling on one backpack and one carryon suitcase, I could not bring enough clothes for the entire trip. Washing your own clothes ain’t that bad.

After having prepared fresh underwear and t shirts for the remainder of the journey, I went back to the lounge to grab one last bite before heading out. At the lounge, I was approached by a concierge, who, for her anonymity, I will not reveal the English name. But we will call her Tanya, which phonetically sounds similar to a part of her Thai name.

Tanya asked why I was spending so much time in the lounge rather than going to see the city itself. I explained to her the reason for my previous visit, my current visit, and my plans for my trip. We then sparked our conversation to sees and dos in Bangkok, which then transgressed to our future travel plans. Long story short, we hung out after she got off of work, and planned for future travels together. It’s good to have a local friend.

Sukhumvit Soi at night. One of the reason I love Bangkok so much is because it reminds me a lot of the China I grew up in. A less modern and bit more chaotic China that I, unfortunately, will never see again. I come here to reminisce about the past as well as to embrace the unfamiliar.

Tanya and I went to grab some street food at Soi 38, which, even though had quite a few foreigners, was still enjoyable.

Maybe Thai food at soi 38 is catered to tourists, but I did not find it very spicy, even after drenching my noodles in chilis.

Fish grilling.

Kebabs.

I also had one of these delicious skewers.

We ended the night with some romantic walks along Sukhumvit, drinking at Soi 11, and other activities.

It was also good not having to stop five taxis before finding one whose meter is not broken, thanks to my new Thai-speaking local friend.

One more dip in the pool, then good night.

Part XII: A video tour of the Hilton Sukhumvit room.

Last edited by TOMFORD; Jul 30, 2016 at 6:25 pm
Old Apr 15, 2015, 8:09 pm

agp423 Again, great photos. yes I have seen those " peacocks" too !

been to Bangkok three times, alas the street food scene is good but of no use to a vegetarian
Old Apr 16, 2015, 5:05 pm
Original Poster
Accor Contributor Badge

agp423 Again, great photos. yes I have seen those " peacocks" too !

been to Bangkok three times, alas the street food scene is good but of no use to a vegetarian
Yea, places that are mostly Hindi would be more vegetarian-friendly ^
Old Apr 16, 2015, 6:06 pm
Original Poster
Accor Contributor Badge

Part XII: A video tour of the Hilton Sukhumvit room.

The Hilton Sukhumvit is fairly new, so all the furniture and décor still got that new hotel smell. Here is a video walk around of the deluxe room that may or may not have been on an executive floor.

Clicking on the photo will take you to the Youtube video.

As Tanya had to work, I spent the following day at the Amphawa floating market. I would strongly recommend against going to this place, as it is mainly a tourist trap with over-priced souvenirs.

Hilton Sukhumvit will arrange a driver for you for 2000 THB for this four hour round trip journey. When you get to the market, the driver will most likely take you to a place where you can hire a boat, which, depending on the length of the tour wanted, may be as little as 2500 THB or as much as 4000 THB. You can refuse that, and ask the driver to take you to the part where you get to walk around the terranean part of the floating market.

When I returned to the hotel to regroup in the afternoon, I found a mysterious box on my desk. It must have been there but I hadn’t noticed before. Here is what was inside - a very nice little figurine, in the same style as all the exaggerated human statues in this hotel.

I had dinner at Paste Bangkok, which is a great restaurant in one of the smaller sois off of Sukhumvit. You can get a cab from your hotel there, and after you are finished with your dinner, you can ask the waitress to hail you a cab to return, so you don’t have to run around a local neighborhood chasing after taxis.

Amuse bouche – apple, some sort of fermented shellfish/fish paste, and chili.

Appetizer – roasted duck on rice crackers.

Entrée – braised Australian beef rib.

Maybe I didn’t order the most Thai food, but I did not understand why the chef was so against calling his food “Asian fusion”. He insisted that it’s “modern Thai.” Anyway, all in all a GREAT place to eat. The price is expensive by Bangkok standards ($50), but I thought it was totally worth it. Some of the best food I had not just in Bangkok, but anywhere in SE Asia.

Part XIII: Bali, part one.

Old Apr 16, 2015, 7:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
You missed coming to Oz! Would love to read what you think about us Australians and our sights!
Old Apr 16, 2015, 8:08 pm

more Bali please. have a trip coming up.
Old Apr 16, 2015, 11:55 pm

A (mostly) great trip report. Your photos are absolutely stunning - that one of the Park Hyatt disappearing into the clouds was jaw-dropping.

As an aside, I didn't find that business at the gate funny, just embarrassing to read, whether you're embellishing for our benefit or not.
Old Apr 17, 2015, 3:16 am
Original Poster
Accor Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Annalisa12
You missed coming to Oz! Would love to read what you think about us Australians and our sights!
I'm slowly making my way south. Will eventually hit the land down under

more Bali please. have a trip coming up.
When are you going?

Originally Posted by llamaesque
A (mostly) great trip report. Your photos are absolutely stunning - that one of the Park Hyatt disappearing into the clouds was jaw-dropping.

As an aside, I didn't find that business at the gate funny, just embarrassing to read, whether you're embellishing for our benefit or not.
Thanks!
Old Apr 17, 2015, 6:01 pm

Bali in January ....
Old Apr 17, 2015, 9:35 pm

As I read your trip, I realize I have a similar style of humour like you. I didn't realize it was satirical and just focused on the gate agent comment so my apologies. Enjoyed your photo style and places to eat in Singapore. Look forward to your bali part as I'm going there in October!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.