Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

RTW trip of the year! JL/SQ/EK Suites, Four Seasons, Park Hyatt, IC, Bali Villas

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

RTW trip of the year! JL/SQ/EK Suites, Four Seasons, Park Hyatt, IC, Bali Villas

Search this Thread

Old Apr 8, 2015, 8:11 pm
Original Poster
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, *A Silver
Originally Posted by MarylandFlyer244
I think I called it before you started your trip. I love the photos, they're awesome, but I love the ......... humor even more. Well done.
BTW the pictures of the Shanghai skyline are freaking amazing.

For everyone else, please lighten up and pretend you're in your 20's again with a sense of humor - you're killing my mood.
^ Thanks!

Originally Posted by tng11
agp423 - how did you find the quality of the Japanese meal ex-ORD on JL? It looks great, but how did it taste?

I'm giving that exact same flight F a go next week and I'm excited. Only thing is I've only tried JL F catering ex-Japan (and think it's close to being the absolute best in the world.)
I'm a fan of Japanese cuisine, but I mentally and visually enjoy it more than I physically do. If you had the chance to read my trip report from last July, you'll know that I got sick after having some fine kaiseki cuisine. The food on JL F is like an internationalized kaiseki cuisine. I found it enjoyable. Definitely some of the better food I had on an airplane. Also do note that I am very involved in the culinary arts, so my view on food is probably more pedantic than the average folk.

Last edited by TOMFORD; Apr 8, 2015 at 8:27 pm
Old Apr 8, 2015, 8:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Awesome pictures and keep up the humor / writing style!
Old Apr 9, 2015, 8:28 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA GLD
pls to describe more local food since it looks good but idk what that ish is

Originally Posted by spark787
I was immediately put off by "do you know how much money I make" and the insinuation "I'm chinese and know history, those japanese are silly people"

This guy has the same attitude and language as those "entitled chinese elitists" he mocks.

Way to reinforce flyertalk stereotypes.
on one hand i know OP is trolling but on the other hand is there anything worse than an FTer trying to upgrade a Y award ticket "because i'm flying JL F later" while complaining about gate lice/DYKWIA with the GA...i can't
Old Apr 10, 2015, 6:56 pm
Original Poster
Accor Contributor Badge

Part VII: Some guy looks lost, some guy pops his collar, and some guy says he’s a girl.

Having completely exhausted myself at work the following week, I decided to take it easy with the touring on my last weekend in Shanghai. Mum and I went to Nanjing Road to spend one afternoon, before meeting up with a business partner for dinner. Nanjing Road is a pedestrian shopping street in Shanghai. However, we were not there for shopping. Perpendicular to the main road, which is the home to everything from candy stores to Rolex and Omega boutiques, you will find many hutong. Hutongs are narrow corridors, mostly leftover from older China. As someone who loves and embraces culture, I find these hutongs more interesting than famous tourist attractions.

Adorable Chinese kids everywhere.

I said this before in my previous trip report, but I’ll say it again because I have nothing else to say here. If you are walking on the street in the US and you take a picture of someone’s kid, the parent would probably slap you with a child molestation lawsuit. But in China, parents are sincerely flattered when you photograph their kids. Because let’s be honest, if your kid is ugly, no one is going to drop everything and take picture of him/her.

You know what is not adorable though – spoiled teenagers hanging out in Starbucks taking selfies.

Here is the most-out-of-place and lost-looking couple in all of Shanghai. They literally stood in the same place for 3 minutes looking at what I imagine was a map on their phone.

On the walk back to the subway station, this personality jollily skipped down the street while dancing and singing along to his iPod. I could not make out what exactly the verses were, but the chorus was “I’m a girl; I’m a girl.”

Back at the Park Hyatt, I waited for my business partner while marveling as this guy. He wore a purple sweater over a white polo with popped collars. I am going to make a very educated guess and say that he was one of those kids in middle school who, when popped his collars for the first time, was made fun of by all the jocks. Evidently he never got over that, and dressing like this is his form of testament of defeating his childhood bullies.

Dinner was had at a restaurant I do not remember the name of in some shopping mall I do not remember the name of. It did, however, have a memorable menu that features these items.

Also can someone explain what the fad is with gluten and gluten free things? Am I right if quote Seth Rogan and say “Gluten is a vague term. It’s something that’s used to categorize things that are bad. You know, calories, that’s a gluten. Fat, that’s a gluten.”

We got the “grasping the big bone sauce”.

Excited for tomorrow’s Singapore Airlines’ flight, I went online to “book the cook” – not to be confused with “cook the book”, which is a financial exercise my old firm used to do (also called fraud). To my disappointment, I found out that book the cook was not available on my five hour flight tomorrow 

The following day, after a speedy check out, and waiting about 10 minutes for the concierge to get me a cover for my suit, I went on my way to the Maglev. The Maglev is a high speed train that goes 300km/hr to the airport. Although many people are concerned about potential health hazards, I took it still because it is fast and convenient. What can I say, I like to live dangerously.

Good bye Shanghai

After having found out that I am the only person on my first class flight to Singapore on Singapore’s A380, my smug self got through security and headed to the Air China first class lounge.

Most Chinese establishments are warmer than what we are accustomed to in the west, but this lounge is not warmer. It was steaming hot. But there was lukecool Moet Chandon to cool you down.

There is a buffet of small bites as well as a menu for real food

Beef brisket noodle

There are some microscopic showers. To give you an idea how of small it is: I took the picture below using my camera phone pressed against the corner of the room.

Part VIII: I find Singaporeans attractive, I down a bottle of Dom, and Intercontinental spies on me.

Last edited by TOMFORD; Jul 30, 2016 at 6:24 pm
Old Apr 10, 2015, 11:52 pm

Programs: United 1kMM; AA EX Plat, Hilton Diamond and SPG Plat
The best part of the Air China Lounge!!!

Have you tried the massage chairs? I spent at least an hour in one of those last month before I took the same flight at you to SIN. In my case the cabin was so darn full. Three of us in SQ F, it was so jam packed. Anyhow those chairs changed my life.
Old Apr 11, 2015, 6:49 am
Original Poster
Accor Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by rkaradi
Have you tried the massage chairs? I spent at least an hour in one of those last month before I took the same flight at you to SIN. In my case the cabin was so darn full. Three of us in SQ F, it was so jam packed. Anyhow those chairs changed my life.
Massage chairs in CA F lounge? I did not try those out. I'm not too keen on massages because I'm ticklish haha. I will give it a go next time I'm there.
Old Apr 11, 2015, 10:05 am

Originally Posted by agp423
Quote:

Massage chairs in CA F lounge? I did not try those out. I'm not too keen on massages because I'm ticklish haha. I will give it a go next time I'm there.
They are in the rooms to the left and right of the hallway heading back to the showers and bathrooms.
Old Apr 11, 2015, 11:15 am

Programs: Skymiles/Aeroplan
Maglev to the airport

"The following day, after a speedy check out, and waiting about 10 minutes for the concierge to get me a cover for my suit, I went on my way to the Maglev. The Maglev is a high speed train that goes 300km/hr to the airport. Although many people are concerned about potential health hazards, I took it still because it is fast and convenient. What can I say, I like to live dangerously."

You used the Maglev during the hours in which it goes slowly. During the peak hours it goes at 431km/hr for 2 minutes. The whole trip only lasts 7 minutes. The other 5 minutes are spent gaining speed and slowing down to stop. The Maglev site has the schedule for "slow" and faster rides. This train was supposed to be the showcase for a Maglev that would link Shanghai with Beijing, but the enormous costs for 22 kilometres showed that linking 2 cities 1,300 km apart would be financially disastrous.
Old Apr 11, 2015, 1:09 pm
Original Poster
Accor Contributor Badge

They are in the rooms to the left and right of the hallway heading back to the showers and bathrooms.
I remember seeing those, similar to the ones at SIN, no?

Originally Posted by danaraujo
"The following day, after a speedy check out, and waiting about 10 minutes for the concierge to get me a cover for my suit, I went on my way to the Maglev. The Maglev is a high speed train that goes 300km/hr to the airport. Although many people are concerned about potential health hazards, I took it still because it is fast and convenient. What can I say, I like to live dangerously."

You used the Maglev during the hours in which it goes slowly. During the peak hours it goes at 431km/hr for 2 minutes. The whole trip only lasts 7 minutes. The other 5 minutes are spent gaining speed and slowing down to stop. The Maglev site has the schedule for "slow" and faster rides. This train was supposed to be the showcase for a Maglev that would link Shanghai with Beijing, but the enormous costs for 22 kilometres showed that linking 2 cities 1,300 km apart would be financially disastrous.
I was unaware of that. I think that having a Maglev between Beijing and Shanghai would be great. Especially given the flight delays that occur between those two cities.
Old Apr 11, 2015, 2:14 pm

Programs: trash airline program here
Excited for tomorrow’s Singapore Airlines’ flight, I went online to “book the cook” – not to be confused with “cook the book”, which is a financial exercise my old firm used to do (also called fraud).
Lol.

Love the trip report and the humor. Reminds me of this:
https://youtu.be/MT1KW2tWD4I

Keep up the good work. In the words of the worlds best douc**bag lyricist Kanye West(who took it from 50 cent)- "let the haters hate and watch the money pile up"
Old Apr 11, 2015, 3:58 pm

I remember seeing those, similar to the ones at SIN, no?
Yes, but since I only spend time at the TPR I never have time for them in SIN.
Old Apr 11, 2015, 7:46 pm
Original Poster
Accor Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Gripevo
Lol.

Love the trip report and the humor. Reminds me of this:
https://youtu.be/MT1KW2tWD4I

Keep up the good work. In the words of the worlds best douc**bag lyricist Kanye West(who took it from 50 cent)- "let the haters hate and watch the money pile up"
^ talks about an M3 - shows a picture of 328, talks about a Porsche - shows a picture of an Audi TT

Yes, but since I only spend time at the TPR I never have time for them in SIN.
TPR = the people's republic (of china)?
Old Apr 11, 2015, 7:52 pm
Original Poster
Accor Contributor Badge

Part VIII: I find Singaporeans attractive, I down a bottle of Dom, and Intercontinental spies on me.

As the first person to board the plane (only F pax, no competition!), I was greeted by what I imagine was the entire crew as I walked boarded. The flight attendant who would be taking care of me was a Singaporean of Chinese descent, and she was smoking hot. Other crew members were attractive as well.

My flight was scheduled to depart at 14:35, but it was experiencing some delays, as are most flights out of most Chinese airports.

1710: the captain announced that there would be one more hour of delay. No worries … more time to drink champagne.

The sommelier introduced himself and we started chatting about champagne. Me - with my sophisticated palate and my refined ability to tell if a wine is red or white had a ton to say in this area.

1832: the captain announced the flight would be delayed an additional two hours. The smoking FA asked if I would like to have some satay appetizer and more champagne, I could say no to neither one of the three.

1920: if you know me, you know that I am a firm believer in the idea that if you claim you are a wine expert, if you say how you can taste the difference between similar wines, or if you care enough to explain the pedantic "floral notes" (e.g. this has a hint of lemongrass and strawberry… you mean grape-berry?), you probably have no friends. But it came as a sobering moment, or at least it would have been if I stopped drinking, when I realized that Dom Perignon actually tastes different from Krug and that I like Dom Perignon more. My favorite poet 50 Cent would agree.

2003: flight finally took off. Dinner followed.

Oven baked warm lobster with herb butter and spinach

Double-boiled pigeon with cordycep flower (umami bomb, I love these things)

Braised angus beef short rib in garlic wine sauce
Slow cooked sea cucumber stuffed with crabmeat and crab roe sauce
Wokfried Chinese broccoli, carrot flower
Stirfried shimeiji mushroom noodle

The beef was out of this world. I skipped dessert because I do not care for sweets.

All the goodies from the flight.

I arrived and cleared immigration around 0130 and took a taxi to the Intercontinental. I checked in at the Intercontinental around 0200, and as an IHG platinum member, I received no recognition and no additional benefit. Not that I was expecting any at this property.

This hotel is old, damp, and is laid out like a maze. There are two types of rooms – tower rooms and shophouse rooms. Tower rooms are rooms in the tall part of the building, and shophouse rooms are the newly renovated rooms on the second floor of those little shops of the Bugis junction.

The following photos are from the next day.

View from the corridor to my room.

Shophouse room.

An almost monochrome bathroom.

NSA, this is your worst attempt at spying on me yet.

I do not have a lot to comment on the IC hotel, but a fellow FTer, who I had the pleasure to meet on this trip, has an extensive review of this property, including the club lounge, hotel restaurant, and nearby sites. Check it out here: http://www.jltravellounge.com/Travel...entalSingapore

Part IX: A video tour of the Intercontinental shophouse room.

Last edited by TOMFORD; Apr 11, 2015 at 7:57 pm
Old Apr 12, 2015, 5:16 pm
Original Poster
Accor Contributor Badge

Part IX: A video tour of the Intercontinental shophouse room.

Video is here:

https://youtu.be/d-3uTYk1ma8

Let me be the first to say I do not like this hotel. The reason I love traveling to Asia, other than it is where I am from, is I love the rich history juxtaposed to the modernity. Singapore seems to have neither. This hotel, like much of Singapore, is not historic like the Astor House Hotel in Shanghai, yet at the same time it is not new because the tower rooms are tired and damp. And I mean damp. They smell like old basements. Singapore’s humidity does not help either. The hotel common area decoration is...

The black and white floor tiles are something I do not find attractive.

I certainly hope that when the hotel renovates the tower rooms, which it is scheduled to do this year, they do a good job.

The club lounge is a haven for those who do not want to pay for expensive Singapore alcohol. Happy hour requires “smart” clothing, i.e. no open toe shoes, no tank tops, etc.

Happy hour snacks.

Daily breakfast buffet is available along menunized items.

Afternoon high tea.

A fellow Flyertalker, who I meet “tomorrow”, has an extensive review of this property. Check it out here: http://www.jltravellounge.com/Travel...entalSingapore

Part X: I go shopping, I struggle to find something else to do, and I meet a Flyertalker.

Last edited by TOMFORD; Apr 14, 2015 at 7:14 pm
Old Apr 14, 2015, 7:10 pm
Original Poster
Accor Contributor Badge

Part X: I go shopping, I struggle to find something else to do, and I meet a Flyertalker.

After a good night’s rest, I spent the following morning sampling the local foods at the Albert Center. The Albert Center is very close to the Intercontinental, but it can be confusing to get to. You can always ask the concierge where to go.

Pork noodles.

After an extended breakfast, I headed to the Marina Bay Sands mall to do some shopping, at one particular store.

Unfortunately, no Windsor cut here in my size. For the uninitiated: TF suits come in three cuts – the Windsor cut has the signature big peak lapels, the O’Connor has skinnier peak lapels, and the Buckley has notch lapels.

A disappointed me headed to Garden by the Bay. But since it was scorching hot and unbelievably humid, I got in, and quickly got out.

Lunch at a local hawker center of some sort, I don’t remember which one it was, but it was close to Albert Center.

After lunch, I spent a bit of time working and a bit of time at the lounge for some afternoon high tea. I met up with fellow FTer Jeremy went for a stroll along the place with the view of this skyline. I say stroll but the whole time I was trying to power walk through it so I can get to somewhere with AC.

Afterwards, we went to Geylang for some local food. Geylang is a little more difficult to navigate for people who do not speak Singlish. But being half illiterate in Chinese and fluent in English, I managed to do okay with Jeremy’s help.

Frog legs and congee.

Oyster omelet/pancake.

Beef.

The following morning I went to the Buddha Tooth Temple, which was a little dreary, and had lunch at a hawker center in China town, right next to the temple.

I left the temple and arrived at this place ten minutes before 11, and there were already people waiting. I thought this place must be good.

I was right. The pork and duck were delicious. And I mean delicious.

Some pigeons snacking on someone’s leftovers.

I spent the afternoon relaxing at the pool and the evening work. All in all I found Singapore to be a rather uninspiring place to visit. However, I did enjoy the pleasant chats with Jeremy, learning about the local culture and history.

Part XI: I fly to my favorite city in SE Asia, and someone thinks he achieved fashion immortality.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.