Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

RTW trip of the year! JL/SQ/EK Suites, Four Seasons, Park Hyatt, IC, Bali Villas

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

RTW trip of the year! JL/SQ/EK Suites, Four Seasons, Park Hyatt, IC, Bali Villas

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18, 2015, 6:37 am
Original Poster
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, *A Silver
Originally Posted by HMPS
Bali in January ....
Will post the next Bali post before then

Originally Posted by spark787
As I read your trip, I realize I have a similar style of humour like you. I didn't realize it was satirical and just focused on the gate agent comment so my apologies. Enjoyed your photo style and places to eat in Singapore. Look forward to your bali part as I'm going there in October!
No worries, it's all good. ^
Old Apr 18, 2015, 7:46 pm
Original Poster
Accor Contributor Badge

Part XIII: Bali, part one.

My BKK-DPS flight was at 0850, so I had to get up early and head out at 0530. Every minute I waited, I would have had to sit two minutes more in traffic. According to the hotel staff, the skytrain did not run that early.

The previous night, I asked the hotel staff to prepare a to-go box of breakfast for me, as I was leaving before the executive lounge breakfast was available. Here is what was provided.

The previous night, I also told the concierge that I would be needing a metered taxi at 0530, and the concierge man told me that the taxi will be ready for me. So I came downstairs and I found that my taxi driver was the same guy who drove me to the floating market yesterday, and dropped me off at the boat place, where I was somewhat knowingly scammed out of 2500 THB.

Before getting into the taxi, I asked the driver and the concierge – “you’re using the meter, right?”

“Yes, meter, no problem.”

I got into the taxi, and started snacking on my breakfast. Ten minutes later, the driver said “Meter broken! Look, no turn on.” I thought, yea bullsh, I’m sure it’s broken. I asked how much I would need to pay him, he replied “how much you want, we decide at the airport”.

Perfect, if we decide now and you don’t like the price and you drop me in the middle of nowhere, what am I gonna do?

After arriving at the airport, I got my bags out of the car, and asked him how much. The driver said “1000 baht.”

“I’ll give you 100, but I only have 1000, so you’ll have to give me 900 back.”

“Okay, okay.”

I pulled out my 1000 bill and asked him to count his 900 in front of me. He counted five 100 baht bills, and then motioned to give me the money. I told him - 400 more. He added one more, looked me again. I told him – 300 more. He added one more, I ask him again. When he was holding 800 baht, he said he has no more money. I told him he could either give me 900 baht, or we can ask the patrolling police for some change. Finally, he said “okay okay, I drive you for free.”

After sextuple checking that I have my wallet, passport, and all three pieces of my beloved Tom Ford suit in the garment bag, I bid him fair well and went on my way.

The Thai Airways business lounge was packed. I caught up on a bit of work, and contacted Cathy, my friend who would be flying HKG-DPS to meet me, to make some last minute confirmations.

Waiting at the gate is this man wearing a dress shirt with popped collars, a sweater, and a fanny pack. He looked very sad as he was traveling to Bali alone. But I’m sure that’s what others thought me of me as well.

Boarding the A333 to DPS.

Old school IFE.

The flight was fairly uneventful. For those interested in the amenity kit given – it was a purple Porsche Design kit. No pictures as I didn’t take it, because I didn’t need any amenities on this short flight.

Lunch – the menu.

Lunch – the food.

A heavenly seviche. It was one of the best things I’ve had on Thai Airways.

Chocolate cake – like most desserts, this was too sweet for my taste.

Beautiful Bali from above.

After arrival and a painfully slow wait for Cathy’s delayed flight, we finally met up after immigration and headed out to Ubud.

I am not crazy about beaches. If I wanted to lay on a beach or in a resort, I could do that when I visit the family money in the Caribbean’s, I would not go all the way to the other side of the world for that. For this reason, we made Ubud our main base, but would finish our vacations with a relaxing but short stay at an East Bali beach resort.

We made our lodging reservation on AirBnB. I wanted to make sure that we stayed with a local Balinese in his/her home, rather than one of those tourist homes owned by Australians or Americans. We wanted to experience the local Balinese culture, and we valued that experience more than anything a hotel or western residence could offer.

Our home owner, Wayan, picked us up from the airport, and we asked to go directly to dinner, as we were both hungry. Because it was late in the night (Balinese people sleep early), we did not have many choices. We dined at Bali Buda, which featured local Balinese vegetarian cuisine, and some common western food like burgers.

Ginger soda, not to be confused with ginger ale. This was made from fresh ginger juice, carbonated water, and simple syrup. For those who enjoy a good mixed drink, or want to get someone to fall for you… here is a recipe for success: ginger juice + lychee juice + rum + ginger ale in equal parts.

My vegetarian dinner.

Cathy’s vegetarian dinner.

I do not like vegetarian dishes. I know vegetables are good for you, but I need a decent slab of protein with my meals. I want war paint on my face and blood dripping from my mouth – now that’s a real man’s dinner. But jokes aside, there are many great vegetarian restaurants in Bali, which made it especially timely since I had nowhere near enough veggies during my stay at Bangkok, Singapore, and Shanghai. I arrived in Ubud just in time before my colon started to seize. To show my seriousness I will provide a copy of my colonoscopy as proof. Check back on my Youtube page later.

The following morning, we woke up to roosters roosting, cats creepily staring at us in our bed, and dogs running about.

Wayan said that Balinese live with their animals and their plants in harmony. A home without animals is not a home.

I had scheduled with Wayan to go with him to visit the local morning market to get groceries for breakfast, and so we did. Here is one video and some photos from our visit – no westerners – great success!

Video here:

Before retiring, Wayan was a chef at his own restaurant, and what a good chef he was! But Wayan was not the only chef there. As a full time finance professional, yours truly designs avant-garde Asian dishes for local restaurants as a hobby/charity in my spare time. Wayan and I lit up the kitchen (not literally) with some serious off-the-cuff omelet making. We cooked with some of the freshest ingredients we had just bought (with his money) at the local market.

After breakfast, Wayan took Cathy and I to the money forest. I know it’s a tourist attraction, but who could say no to these adorable things.

Some local musicians at the temple in the monkey forest.

Afterwards, Wayan took us around town a bit and showed us his friend’s shop. Wayan and his friend happily gave us a tour of the woodwork shop without pressuring us to buy anything.

We went to a nearby rice terrace afterwards.

We enjoyed a fresh coconut for 1 USD.

There were little Indonesian girls selling postcards and souvenirs for roughly 1USD a piece, which, to us western folks, is literally pocket change, but to them it meant a lot. The girls all said that the money is used to support them to go to school. Feeling guilty after not paying my Thai taxi driver, I thought I would spread the good deed by just giving some money away, without actually buying anything. Before I knew it, I was surrounded by local children. Time to move out.

After successfully escaping the local troops, we were headed for a place to grab some lunch. I had read a lot of reviews Trip Advisor on Ibu Oka Warung, a place with well-known suckling pig. I asked Wayan what he thought about eating there, he recommended against it on the basis that the place caters more to tourists and that comparable food can be found for a fraction of the cost. So we went to a local market for some suckling pig – no westerners here either.

See if you can spot the pig.

Crispy skin, succulent meat, and a mouthful of local culture – I could not ask for more.

Part XIX: Bali, part two – we drink sh** coffee, and we eat sh** duck.

Last edited by TOMFORD; Apr 18, 2015 at 7:52 pm
Old Apr 19, 2015, 2:44 pm

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
thank you. gain !

Photos of the veg market are good. While in Bali we will prowl such market and see if the chef at the hotel will cook it for us. also looking forward to fruits.
Old Apr 19, 2015, 6:18 pm
Original Poster
Accor Contributor Badge

Part XIX: Bali, part two – we drink sh** coffee, and we eat sh** duck.

After lunch, we took a leisurely stroll at the Gianyar market. Click below for a video of the lovely atmosphere.

Then my fatass had more food.

And then some more.

Afterwards, we visited Air Terjun waterfall, which is a lot of fun if you actually go in the water.

Frog hiding in a coconut.

What better way to combat my food coma with some coffee sampling? Wayan took us to a local coffee plantation where we got to sample different types of coffee and tea. One of which is the famous Kopi Luwak coffee. The cat like animal named Kopi Luwak eats the coffee, and without chewing or digesting, poops out the beans. The beans are then cleaned, roasted, and used to make coffee. It is quite literally sh** coffee. Taste-wise, it was not special, you could barely taste the poop.

Roasting coffee.

The fancy kopi luwak coffee contraption. Felt like chemistry lab all over again.

Then, we visited the Ubud Water Palace, which was peaceful but small. We wanted to sit and rest at the café in the palace, but one side was packed, and the other side was occupied by a few American college kids smoking cigarettes and complaining about their parents.

So then we decided to leave and conclude our day trip with dinner at the Bebek Bengil (Dirty Duck), which I would highly recommend against. The duck there was ridiculously stringy – it was almost like a duck jerky. I almost feel like I am doing the readers a disservice by taking anything more than a mediocre photo of the food. Dinner for two was somewhere around $50 USD, which is very expensive by Bali standards. Don’t go there.

The restaurant did have a nice view of the rice fields.

Since I arrived in Bali, I have been checking for last minute hotel deals. Because no one would travel to Bali without booking a hotel well in advance, you can often score hundred-dollar villas for just fifty bucks, and that’s exactly what I did. Earlier in the day, I booked the biggest one bedroom villa at Payogan Villa Resort for roughly $40/night. Even considering the "wasted" AirBnB cost for the remaining nights, it was still a pretty good deal.

After dinner, we moved to our luxurious villa with a gigantic bed, an outdoor shower, hot tub, and private pool with a scenic vista. I took a video of the places, but it was very dark, so I will just share with you the photos.

View from our private yard.

Private pool.

Daytime view.

Part XX: Bali, part three – tragedy struck.

Old Apr 20, 2015, 2:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by agp423
[ for roughly $40/night.
This seems to be more than a good deal! Judging from their Website they charge 350 ++
Old Apr 20, 2015, 5:22 am
Original Poster
Accor Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by offerendum
This seems to be more than a good deal! Judging from their Website they charge 350 ++
I might have lied, it was $58 + taxes/fees. But still not bad. There are a lot of those deals last minute. We asked our local home owner which one is closer to him home so he wouldn't have to drive far.
Old Apr 20, 2015, 5:36 am

Programs: Meh
Great TR and I enjoy your humour.
Old Apr 20, 2015, 9:05 am

Awesome TR, Hunter!

Awesome photos and entertaining prose. Asia is a part of the world I would love to spend a bit more time in and your TR is providing a welcome distraction from my working week.

So do we get to see any pics of Tanya?
Old Apr 20, 2015, 9:41 am

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
agp423 what web site do you use for this last minute villas ? Thanks
Old Apr 20, 2015, 10:18 am
Original Poster
Accor Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by stevie
Great TR and I enjoy your humour.
Thanks!

Originally Posted by DanielW
Awesome TR, Hunter!

Awesome photos and entertaining prose. Asia is a part of the world I would love to spend a bit more time in and your TR is providing a welcome distraction from my working week.

So do we get to see any pics of Tanya?
Thanks! Let me know when you're in Asia, I go there often for business and for holiday, if I am around me and my local friends can be your tour guide. And no pictures on the world wide web, as I have been specifically instructed haha

Originally Posted by HMPS
agp423 what web site do you use for this last minute villas ? Thanks
Hotels dot com ^
Old Apr 20, 2015, 7:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
Love this report. I'm back again today but still no word on what the tragedy is. I'm waiting with baited breath!
Old Apr 21, 2015, 9:29 am

Part X: I go shopping, I struggle to find something else to do, and I meet a Flyertalker.

After a good night’s rest, I spent the following morning sampling the local foods at the Albert Center. The Albert Center is very close to the Intercontinental, but it can be confusing to get to. You can always ask the concierge where to go.

Pork noodles.

After an extended breakfast, I headed to the Marina Bay Sands mall to do some shopping, at one particular store.

Unfortunately, no Windsor cut here in my size. For the uninitiated: TF suits come in three cuts – the Windsor cut has the signature big peak lapels, the O’Connor has skinnier peak lapels, and the Buckley has notch lapels.

A disappointed me headed to Garden by the Bay. But since it was scorching hot and unbelievably humid, I got in, and quickly got out.

Lunch at a local hawker center of some sort, I don’t remember which one it was, but it was close to Albert Center.

After lunch, I spent a bit of time working and a bit of time at the lounge for some afternoon high tea. I met up with fellow FTer Jeremy went for a stroll along the place with the view of this skyline. I say stroll but the whole time I was trying to power walk through it so I can get to somewhere with AC.

Afterwards, we went to Geylang for some local food. Geylang is a little more difficult to navigate for people who do not speak Singlish. But being half illiterate in Chinese and fluent in English, I managed to do okay with Jeremy’s help.

Frog legs and congee.

Oyster omelet/pancake.

Beef.

The following morning I went to the Buddha Tooth Temple, which was a little dreary, and had lunch at a hawker center in China town, right next to the temple.

I left the temple and arrived at this place ten minutes before 11, and there were already people waiting. I thought this place must be good.

I was right. The pork and duck were delicious. And I mean delicious.

Some pigeons snacking on someone’s leftovers.

I spent the afternoon relaxing at the pool and the evening work. All in all I found Singapore to be a rather uninspiring place to visit. However, I did enjoy the pleasant chats with Jeremy, learning about the local culture and history.

Part XI: I fly to my favorite city in SE Asia, and someone thinks he achieved fashion immortality.

Geylang...kinda far to go just for some frog legs; are you sure there weren't any other legs on the menu that nite?

Awesome TR by the way...and the photos superb!
Old Apr 21, 2015, 9:47 am

Part XI: I fly to my favorite city in SE Asia, and someone thinks he achieved fashion immortality.

I checked out of the Intercontinental Singapore as soon as breakfast was done, as I could not wait to get on with my adventure after the lull that is my previous day in Singapore. I took the MRT to the airport, which was fairly cheap. I was scheduled to fly from Singapore to Bangkok, then to Bali, but at check in, I was greeted with dreadful news.

“I’m sorry Mr. Yves, your flight to Denpasar is cancelled.”

Even though I was fearful, I was not going to let a canceled regional flight be the tragic endpoint to the vacation of a life time - I was determined that my trip to Bangkok will have a happy ending; I was also determined that my trip to Bangkok will have a conclusion that makes you feel good. After some anxious waiting and nervously checking for other flights, the agent was able to book me on the flight to Denpasar on the day after when my original flight was scheduled. One more day in Bangkok? Don’t mind if I do.

Premium cabin check in area.

Thai Airways lounge.

After strolling around the airport and finding most of the airport attractions unattractive, I headed to the Thai Airways lounge to relax before my flight. The lounge featured minimal food, drinks, space, and friendliness from the staff and travelers alike.

Alcohol selection… I remember my college dorm room had more booze than this at any given time.

BLT without the bacon, chicken sandwiches, turkey sandwiches, and tuna sandwiches.

Deep fried goodness.

Boarding time! There is this one man who was wearing a dress shirt, blazer, jeans, dress shoes, a formal white pocket squared folded in a rectangle, and a scarf around his neck being a gate lice. I eventually found out that he, too, is in business class – why do premium cabin passengers practice gatelicing?

The flight to Bangkok was on a 777 with lie-flat business eats. I had originally thought it would be on an A330, so I was pleasantly surprised. After checking afterwards, it seems that this flight is usually operated by 777s.

Thai Airways – what the heck is this printed on your menu?

Lunch – the menu.

Lunch – the actual food.

I went booze-free this flight. Opting for a Coca Cola and water.

View out the window.

After a short two hour flight, I landed in Bangkok. Here is why I really dislike this gatelice diva I told you about. Let us put aside the fact that he had perfected looking like a …. in every imaginable way – when people get out of a plane, everyone wants to get to immigration as soon as possible, because no one wants to queue behind other passengers, and that’s fine. But this guy was walking so fast, he was leaving his wife in the dust!

By the time he got to immigration, his wife wasn’t even in line yet! I had to get a picture of him. Also, unless you are from the sun, you should not be wearing this much in Singapore or Bangkok.

After the airport and some long taxi queues in the humid but familiar weather, I caught a taxi, and went on my want to Hilton Sukhumvit.

Hilton Sukhumvit main floor. You see these wide-hipped statues throughout the hotel.

I booked a standard room, and was told I was upgraded, but the room looked exactly like the one I booked online. Except I had access to the lounge, which would soon prove to be a valuable benefit.

View from the room.

View from the lounge.

I went to the lounge as soon as I settled down because I was starving. The food on the flight was unpleasant at best, so I did not eat much of it. The lounge has afternoonly happy hour and snacks all day around.

After some food and drinks, I went back to my room to wash some of my clothes. Because I was traveling on one backpack and one carryon suitcase, I could not bring enough clothes for the entire trip. Washing your own clothes ain’t that bad.

After having prepared fresh underwear and t shirts for the remainder of the journey, I went back to the lounge to grab one last bite before heading out. At the lounge, I was approached by a concierge, who, for her anonymity, I will not reveal the English name. But we will call her Tanya, which phonetically sounds similar to a part of her Thai name.

Tanya asked why I was spending so much time in the lounge rather than going to see the city itself. I explained to her the reason for my previous visit, my current visit, and my plans for my trip. We then sparked our conversation to sees and dos in Bangkok, which then transgressed to our future travel plans. Long story short, we hung out after she got off of work, and planned for future travels together. It’s good to have a local friend.

Sukhumvit Soi at night. One of the reason I love Bangkok so much is because it reminds me a lot of the China I grew up in. A less modern and bit more chaotic China that I, unfortunately, will never see again. I come here to reminisce about the past as well as to embrace the unfamiliar.

Tanya and I went to grab some street food at Soi 38, which, even though had quite a few foreigners, was still enjoyable.

Maybe Thai food at soi 38 is catered to tourists, but I did not find it very spicy, even after drenching my noodles in chilis.

Fish grilling.

Kebabs.

I also had one of these delicious skewers.

We ended the night with some romantic walks along Sukhumvit, drinking at Soi 11, and other activities I do not care to share here.

It was also good not having to stop five taxis before finding one whose meter is not broken, thanks to my new Thai-speaking local friend.

One more dip in the pool, then good night.

Part XII: A video tour of the Hilton Sukhumvit room.

The Hilton Sukhumvit is one of my fav hotels in Bangkok. I've stayed there 4 times in both Executive Plus rooms and Suites. The Plus room is actually my favorite and the separate large tubs in the washrooms are very relaxing.

That's pretty funny "Tanya" being a naughty girl, picking up lonely single male guests like that, I may have to report her to management the next time I'm there.
Old Apr 21, 2015, 12:51 pm
Original Poster
Accor Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Annalisa12
Love this report. I'm back again today but still no word on what the tragedy is. I'm waiting with baited breath!
It'll be here before I go away for the weekend. There will be some videos I need to process. Thank you for following my journey!

Originally Posted by OMGImInPattaya
The Hilton Sukhumvit is one of my fav hotels in Bangkok. I've stayed there 4 times in both Executive Plus rooms and Suites. The Plus room is actually my favorite and the separate large tubs in the washrooms are very relaxing.

That's pretty funny "Tanya" being a naughty girl, picking up lonely single male guests like that, I may have to report her to management the next time I'm there.
Was my room a plus or a regular? The check in agent said I was upgraded one level, by which I'm convinced he meant one floor, because the room was pretty basic.

It's not her it's me - some girls chatted me up when I was in China as well, but I didn't write about it since they didn't act as my tour guide or contribute significantly to my travel experience. But I mean, it honestly did not start with salacious intentions.
Old Apr 21, 2015, 7:32 pm
Original Poster
Accor Contributor Badge

Part XX: Bali, part three – tragedy struck.

The following day, we had breakfast at the Payogan village. The breakfast buffet spread was mediocre but there were many a la carte items offered.

Dining area.

Breakfast.

Afterwards, we were picked up by our local tour guide Made. Made spoke very good English – highly recommend, PM me for info. Also note that in Bali, tour guides need to have licenses to be tour guides, and most tour guides do not. You will see police checking for licenses here and there, and if your driver does not have a license, you’ll have to pay up. So watch out before booking your driver!

We visited the following places – Taman Ayun, Ulun Danu, Jatiluwih, and finally Tanah Lot for sunset. At the end of the day, we decided to try some astrophotography. For those who are keen on photography, you know that what you see on the camera is nothing like the final product. So after shooting a few photos, I plugged my SD card into my computer to do some editing on the photos. Lo and behold, my GoPro importer decides that the SD card is a GoPro card and starts importing the pictures. Me not knowing, simply “canceled” the task, and the next thing I know every single picture is gone!!! I’m like ...! I tried a bunch of recovery programs that night as well as after I returned from vacation – no go. The programs were only able to recover a few from Taman Ayun and Ulun Danu. All the pictures I took at Tanah Lot were gone. All the pictures I took at Jatiluwih (rice terrace) were gone. All the pictures I took of the hotels were gone. All the pictures I took of food were gone. All the pictures I took of us were also gone.

Keen-eyed viewers would know that the sunset teaser picture from the last post was taken on a Sony camera, which is not what I use. That picture was a picture I stole from the lady's camera. Anyway, I went to bed sad and irritated. And I am sad and irritated as I write this. So this post will be relatively short.

Here are what remained.

Taman Ayun.

Ulun Danu (video inside).

Tanah Lot (time lapse inside).

Oh and also, that photo of the galaxy remained too. This is the with edits I made while in Bali. I have no mental capacity or moral fortitude to edit this photo more haha.

Anyway, the next day, we moved to the Sea Breaze Candidasa hotel in Manggis, which is in East Bali.

View from the room.

Breakfast.

The lady wanted to do some water activities, so we went snorkeling, which I thought was more fun than laying on a bench by the pool. Here is an underwater video of me swimming along the fishes. I recommend having your sound on so you can listen to the music ^

https://youtu.be/NLpdueYTLDg

The following day was relaxing/uneventful as we just hung out on the beach. We took the Cathay Pacific flight back to Hong Kong together. FYI: that lounge that you get in with Priority Pass - the wifi almost never works. At boarding, we were perplexed by people who buy multi-thousand dollar luggage but fly in economy. Y’all got y’all’s priority wrong. And if those were fake Louies… why do people need to pretend to be rich when flying economy?

Part XXI: We drink tea at a hotel, we drink tea at a teahouse, and I start using my camera again.

Last edited by TOMFORD; Apr 21, 2015 at 7:43 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.