Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

Eminem has his 8 Mile, I’ll take my 4 Mile (United Int’l and Premium Service F)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Eminem has his 8 Mile, I’ll take my 4 Mile (United Int’l and Premium Service F)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 26, 2012, 1:29 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC 75K, A3*G, AS MVPG, AA LT Gold 1MM, JL/JGC (OWS) , Marriott Titanium, Hertz 5*, Avis PC
Originally Posted by flyhen
I guess it's safe for me to say, on behalf of all the FTers, we are happy for you, that you are one of the few lucky ones to snatch this deal. I originally got my 4-mile trip commencing this coming weekend. Yeah, I am bummed that I got canceled, but oh well. At least I know someone ACTUALLY got thru with this. Hope you had fun!

As SFO777 said earlier in the thread, go file a complaint with the DoT.
Let the airlines know travellers won't tolerate airlines unilaterally cancellation of tickets.
You never know what the DoT can say to do, cease and desist order do exist
It was a very weird trip to say in the easiest way.

Originally Posted by mkjr
so funny....i am kind of shocked at Timmy Ho's US sizes. wholly smokes.

in some respects flyhen, if they cancelled without authority, think of it this way, you could probably book at any time you want. i probably would have take SHF's approach and gone ASAP although i must say, it sounds like he had the jet lag dizzies for most of the trip...i find that hard going to HKG from YYZ...that 12 hours is hands down the worst jet lag IMO. just thinking about the dizzies..your body does not know up from down.
The size I got was a US Medium. I usually do get the CAN Large
Imagine the US Large Size to be closer to the 7-Eleven Slurpee cup you bring to the beach on a hot summer day.

Surprisingly I do this 12 hour swap about 4 times a year, and I still find it easier to do the 12 hours vs. North America > Europe.
That one throws me off more on the 1st day.

Originally Posted by JamesBond_ppk
What kind of an idiot serves oysters with ketchup??? No offense to anyone here who does eat that, but jezz, that's like combining the most amazing delicassy around with the most common sauce around. And it's just ruining everything.

Tip for those who don't know; try one of these: lemon, lime, the traditionnal french sauce (red wine vinegar with finely diced échalottes), the latvian one (lots of dill, lemon zest, olive oil a dash of lemon juice and sour cream) or even tabasco.

Side question: I wonder if any airlines serves oysters in F?

And yeah, Short Hair Francis, btw, great trip report, I'm glad you could enjoy the 4 miles miracle
personally, i eat my oysters with nothing but one might consider your suggested condiments as equally idiodic...

Thanks very much, the "4 Mile Island" was a fun adventure indeed.
The sauce that looks like ketchup is actually Cocktail Sauce
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cocktail_sauce

I dont think airline serve oysters in F nor do I recommend them either.
Takes too much equipment and could easily be mishandle to be serve on a plane.
I love eating oysters but I doubt I would want to eat them at 35000 feet.
When it comes to raw stuff, balik salmon and sushi are as raw as I want on a plane.

Originally Posted by Zoui21
Great stuff Short Hair Francis
Eagerly awaiting Part 5. Hope you had a bunch of fun in the great city of NY
Thank You, it was a very nice getaway weekend indeed.
Nice to tell anybody in HKG, where were you last weekend?
NYC

You don't have to wait for Part 5 Long, its already here
Old Jul 26, 2012, 1:34 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC 75K, A3*G, AS MVPG, AA LT Gold 1MM, JL/JGC (OWS) , Marriott Titanium, Hertz 5*, Avis PC
Part 5 – Finally something called a regular travel day

After United did acknowledge they will honor all tickets already started, or will start on or before July 21st, I went back to check on my reservations. Guess what, trying to change your reservation or your seat will come back as an error. No doubt, United Airlines does still hate my guts for flying this trip.

July 22, 2012 – Sunday
UA 265 JFK – SFO 8:08am – 11:32am (752/F)

There are days to be cost-cutting and to be cheap, but not on a day when you won the lottery or aka, 3 class First Class half way around the world. Car service at 6:15am for an 8:08am flight on a Sunday.

New York Kennedy Terminal 7

No incident and I was at JFK around 6:30am, I never understood why United puts kiosk in front of the counters for First/Business/Priority, I mean, don’t us premium passengers deserved a little service. And even if I wasn’t flying First for 4 Miles, I was still Star Silver after all

Sorry for the lousy photo above, I would take try a better pic on most days but not today, the nudie said “Out of Service, Part on Order”
Please be out of order, I can use less massages

Sadly the only line opens had the nudies open, so another erotic massage by the TSA, at least this one came sans the instruction which did speed up the process.

JFK United Airlines First Class Lounge

The Lounge was very empty, only me and another person in it.
I did find the cup noodles as CMK10 indicated in his TR

Thankfully I didn’t those too many during my times in college.

Headed down to gate 10 at T-55, presuming boarding would start at T-45, nope didn’t start boarding til T-30.
United did however gave a lot of op-ups, both Y>J and J>F.
The F cabin was originally booked for 6/12, but ended up op-up to full and the rest of the plane was also full. So I guess United does oversell a bit on Sunday mornings.
One person did try to board with a group 2 bp, during group 1 boarding and got sent to the back ^

United Airlines 265
New York Kennedy to San Francisco
8:08am – 11:32am, 6 hr 24 min flight
First Class, Seat 3B
Food – Breakfast
Equipment – Boeing 757-200 (12F/26J/72Y)

United Airlines Boeing 757-200 P.S. First Class Cabin

United Airlines Boeing 757-200 PS. First Class Seat

Part 5 Continues Below
Old Jul 26, 2012, 1:36 am
Original Poster

*Some of these photos were taken when we’re at SFO, I presumably guess this will be my last time on these seats so for memories sake.

Another tired and waiting to be refurbished Boeing 757-200 awaiting me, the pilot did turn on Channel 9 again which was nice.

And I thought AA has bad cleaning, this is just gross

PDB was in a coach cup again but I didn’t have champagne so that doesn’t really count.

Boarding was done in 20 mins and doors were closed by 7:58am, think this was the first time I had an ontime departure on United hehe
Captain announces a flight time of 5 hr 27 mins to San Francisco, that was quick but I rarely fly during the summer, definitely more used to the 6 hrs West transcon during the winter more.

The two Eastern European tourists didn’t understand you are not supposed to be using the tray table while the plane is taxiing to the runway

About a 15 min taxi to Runway 31L at Echo, #3 line for take-off, and finally took off at 8:22am. Lucky us, no #27 for take-off at JFK lol

Breezy Point Climb as usual for westbound flights and for avoiding Manhattan airspace.

UA 265 Breakfast
To Start
Fresh Seasonal Fruit
Yogurt parfait with blueberries and granola

Main Course
Swiss Cheese Omelette
Broccoli-potato gratin and turkey sausage

French Toast
Turkey Sausage and maple syrup

Cereal and Banana
Served with milk

Cinnamon rolls and croissants with butter and fruit preserves
Light snacks are available at any time following the meal service
Please help yourself or ask a flight attendant for today’s selection

Oh well, it’s already passed happy hour in HKG so let’s get drinking

If it’s anything I’ve been impressed with United, they use full size hand towels for their service, AA doesn’t do that

Dang, the two tourists ate the only 2 catered cinnamon rolls on this flight, guess Croissant will do

Coffee to change things up

Yogurt Parfait, this has always been my favorite on P.S breakfast

*I really wish other airlines do this, actually never have anything other than packaged yogurt on flight so this was one thing leftover from my previous times on United.

Fruit Plate

Omelette

That’s still one more turkey sausage than American Airlines.

After the meal service was a lot of TR writing and imaging, but in the meanwhile, I tried to have some fun with Alex, the United.com guide.

Sometimes you really wonder how .bomb can make something like this with even wonderful humor replies but when it comes to 4 instead of 320000 miles, they are completely brain dead. Anyway, here a joke for everyone below

And with checking the Hong Kong observatory, Tropical Storm Vicente was still ways away, I’m good.

The Snack Basket, guess they swapped the old Veggie Plate out they used to have

Some rest for the rest of the flight, captain started our descent into the Bay Area around 10:15am, and we landed at 10:35am.
As you might have guess what happens when your plane comes in 1 hour ahead of scheduled time, you end up sitting on the tarmac for 45 mins waiting for a gate

Back In San Francisco, now I’m starving YET AGAIN,

Thankfully off to the UA Int’l First Class Lounge soon, then back in HKG for a surprise.

Next Part
Part 6 – Vicente comes for a visit
Old Jul 26, 2012, 12:18 pm

Programs: FT
oh dear...poor Alex. seemed to be a good sport about it.
Old Jul 26, 2012, 2:18 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
Alex is just playing hard to get! Good for you for sticking to it
Old Jul 26, 2012, 2:23 pm

Programs: Something lifetime here and there
I think its great you were able to score INTL F seat for 4 miles...^

Great pictures....

In checking the pictures out, a lot remains the same...(since I last flew them almost 2 years ago)....the INTL F lounge in JFK, the PS seats on the JFK-SFO/LAX routes. The meals on both flights as with the PDB being served in a plastic cup and that "crappy" Champagne on the HKG to US flights. There is one thing different...the silverware logo...
Old Jul 26, 2012, 2:52 pm

Programs: AAdvantage ExPlat LT Gold, BA Silver, Aegean Star Gold
Originally Posted by Madone59
United spent some money on Alex, all that AI... but maybe u r not Alex's type

For all we joke about .bomb, it's still light years ahead of AA...
Old Jul 26, 2012, 7:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3 MM; Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by JamesBond_ppk
What kind of an idiot serves oysters with ketchup??? No offense to anyone here who does eat that, but jezz, that's like combining the most amazing delicassy around with the most common sauce around. And it's just ruining everything.
It is almost certainly cocktail sauce (ketchup + horseradish). Very common with oysters in the Northeast.
Old Jul 27, 2012, 11:13 am

I am confused...you talk about delicate flavours and then suggest you mask the same with lemon, lime, vinegar (an ingredient in ketchup) and strong flavours such as dill in another vinegrate type sauce....and tabasco...sorry, i am just confused.

personally, i eat my oysters with nothing but one might consider your suggested condiments as equally idiodic...
All of the above mentionned are considered to be taste enhancers. Especially when married to oysters. Ketchup is a taste killer and that is for me a big difference. But hey, what do I know?

Originally Posted by PresRDC
It is almost certainly cocktail sauce (ketchup + horseradish). Very common with oysters in the Northeast.
Alrighty. Did not know that, thanks for enlightning me. I guess the only smart thing for me to do is to try it out next time I'm in the states.
Old Jul 27, 2012, 11:14 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Madone59
Originally Posted by jfkeze
United spent some money on Alex, all that AI... but maybe u r not Alex's type

For all we joke about .bomb, it's still light years ahead of AA...
Alex sure was sticking it alright
Not her type , frequent flyer meets airline gal
What's wrong with that?

Babe, I will pay for the next trip to go to Hong Kong provided it costs "4 Miles", please please please

Nah, I like AA the way it is, keeps the kettles from knowing how to redeem on CX First ^

Originally Posted by goingbananas
I think its great you were able to score INTL F seat for 4 miles...^

Great pictures....

In checking the pictures out, a lot remains the same...(since I last flew them almost 2 years ago)....the INTL F lounge in JFK, the PS seats on the JFK-SFO/LAX routes. The meals on both flights as with the PDB being served in a plastic cup and that "crappy" Champagne on the HKG to US flights. There is one thing different...the silverware logo...
Thank you, i'm glad the pics came out better this time.
F lounge, PS seats havent changed in a 1 1/2 year for me.
Only substitute was the snack basket instead of veggie plate and cookie on the morning JFK-SFO
Champagne was crap indeed @:-)

Originally Posted by PresRDC
Yes it is cocktail sauce
Old Jul 27, 2012, 11:19 am
Original Poster

Part 6 – Vicente comes for a visit

July 22, 2012 – Sunday
UA 869 SFO – HKG 1:31pm – 6:15pm (+1)[Jul 23] (744/F)

Got off the P.S First flight at Gate 82, about a 10 min walk back to International terminal.

I’ve taken a buddy’s challenge of randomly inviting cute girl(s) into the lounge, sadly none were to be found today.
Surprisingly I seem to have better luck in the YY-Zee lol

San Francisco United Airlines International First Class Lounge

Oh ya, I’m still hungry and knowing the fact UA only caters on a 1:1 basis in F, time to eat. A good plateful of sushi, pasta salad and a cookie for a dessert

Left the lounge once at 12:35pm to get to gate 100 for the flight, they were still cleaning, back to the lounge again.

The rows of United Airlines Boeing 747-400

So about 12:55pm, I headed back out to the gate, and a family of 6 also follows me into the elevator back to the concourse level. I asked them if they are headed to HKG and they were and I naturally asked if they were going for “4 Miles”
All they said back was excuse me, what did you say?
Never Mind….

Our own Boeing 747 to Hong Kong

United Airlines 869
San Francisco to Hong Kong
Scheduled - 1:31pm – 6:15pm (+1)[Jul 23], 13 hr 44 mins flight
Delayed Departure – 1:45pm, Delayed Boarding due to cabin cleaning
On-Time Arrival – 6:14pm
First Class, Seat 1K
Food – Lunch, Breakfast
Equipment – Boeing 747-400

The Gate area was a pure mess, it was a simply a free for all between Chinese tour groups, the suits and other family travel.
I even got yelled at by a family asking around who’s carry-on it was that was blocking the aisle. Some people even have the decency of blocking the aisle so a person pushing a baby stroller can’t even get through.
Nasty American waving their American passport

Boarding was a Pure “Gong-show”
The family of 6 boarded in the regular line and I simply followed.

Aren’t they a lucky family?
Older son in 1A, older daughter in 2A, Dad in 3A, Mom in 3C, Younger son in 4A, Younger Daughter 4C.
Essentially they had the entire left side of the F cabin to themselves.
I know I never got my first 3 Class First until I was 17 y.o and that was only a op-up.
It was op-up onto the old Cathay Pacific First Class

I was lucky to get 1K although row 1 is rarely my favorite seat as I find them too claustrophobic at most times

United Airlines Boeing 747-400 First Class Seat

I will advise row 1 isn’t the best seat for photos as your angles are very limited due to the closet up front. Row 3 is a bit better in that respect.

The 2nd FA completely skipped me for PDB and the amenity kit but argue I was on the phone. I guess I was never one of those that minded doing two things at once.

They had the nicer looking plastic cup, but I got duped and served French sparkling wine, ouch

Come on, even AA serves Pommery Brut on the ground, boo

Part 6 Continues Below

Last edited by Short hair Francis; Oct 29, 2013 at 3:44 am
Old Jul 27, 2012, 11:22 am
Original Poster

12 hours and 40 minutes of flying time to Hong Kong today

Where were you when I got that 15 hrs of flying time in business class?

Who’s driving whom?

Bye bye San Francisco

The old tore-down section of Terminal 3 (AA section)

I promised not to cheat on you next time

Almost ready to go at Runway 28R

The usual fog is creeping it like usual

Still debating whether United keeps up good maintenance?

Burned out light in front of me, and flickering behind me

UA 869 Lunch

Warm Appetizer
Vegetable-filled pastry and shrimp tempura with Asian Barbeque Sauce

Soup
Mushroom Brie Bisque

Fresh Seasonal Greens
Tomatoes, cucumbers and croutons with your choice of classic Caesar dressing or buttermilk ranch

Main Course
Grilled Pork Chop
Green peppercorn sauce, shiitake mushroom bread pudding, white asparagus and broccolini

Mongolian-Style Beef
Bok Choy and steamed rice

San Francisco Style Cioppino
Seared hake and grilled shrimp in tomato-seafood sauce with mixed vegetable

Stir-Fried Noodles
Shrimp and scallops in oyster sauce and shrimp and pork dumplings

To Finish
International Cheese Selection
Grapes and Crackers
Served with Graham’s late bottled Vintage Port

Dessert
Ice Cream with your choice of toppings
And assorted petite treats

Copying from jfkeze’s tradition, jack and coke to start

Bread Basket

Table Set-Up

Appetizer

Tasted fine, but it seem to have shrinken vs. the outbound appetizer

Mushroom Brie Bisque

Soup was very good, creamy with a pinch of pepper to jump at you, I had a double here.

Salad Cart

Same as before, croutons or/and peppers

Should’ve ask to hold back on the vinaigrette
Menu said buttermilk ranch or Caesar, I went back to double check but one choice definitely was wrong.

Part 6 Continues Below
Old Jul 27, 2012, 11:23 am
Original Poster

Went with the Cioppino

Didn’t want Pork, nor the Asian options, tasty but the sauce was more watery than juicy. Still a good choice compared to the other ones I saw around the cabin

Fruit and Cheese Cart

Not my best one, very similar to the outbound UA F flight

Ice Cream Cart

Went with a very slight touch of caramel

The FA forgot to put the little cake tray on, 2 types of pralines and a cheesecake

Green Tea to end the service

Flat bed good to go for some snooze

Due to my stupid and completely out of whack sleeping schedule, I caught 7 hours of sleep which is close to a record on a plane for me.

UA 869 Mid-Flight Snack
Noodle Soup with Braised Beef
Won tons and Chinese Broccoli
Dessert
Cherry Custard Cake
Fruit and light snacks are available at any time following the meal service
Please help yourself or ask a flight attendant for today’s selection

You know me, what do I do if I’m on a plane and bored? Let’s Eat!
Thankfully Rick from the outbound flight gave me a huge heads-up warning me the beef noodle ex-SFO tends to be super salty.
So I did a special request of having the FAs to water out the soup and refill it with new hot water.
That seem to have done the trick, made it less salty

Damn, sleepy me, I’m hating my body system, back to sleep for 1 hr 30 mins but I did warn the FAs to wake me up if necessary.

Didn’t need the wake up call as I woke out about 2 hrs out near Naha

Have no clue why United serves breakfast at 4:30pm HKG time, 1:30am West Coast, Most likely cost cutting, either way its super annoying considering your competitor Cathay Pacific serves dinner on CX 879 right about now.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trip-...l#post15822641

UA 869 Breakfast
Breakfast breads with butter and fruit preserves

Herbed Scrambled Eggs
Potato gratin, turkey sausage and grilled ham

Congee
Traditional Chinese porridge with chicken, corn, mushrooms and garnishes

Cereal and Banana
Served with milk

Photos started to become very hard to take with the turbulence.
Even had to stop eating periodically since I couldn’t take a good enough photo

Cinnamon Rolls, come to me, I didn’t get to eat you on UA 265

Fruit Bowl, doesn’t this belong on domestic F?

Yogurt

Main Course

With the turbulence over Taiwan, packed up a bit earlier at T-45.
Captain reports back it is currently 27 degrees in HKG with rain and moderate Winds.
Now if you have ever have lived in HKG, you know 27 degrees at 5pm during the summer means BAD BAD news, either it means its pouring rain outside or a typhoon is around.

Either way see for yourself
Can you see the rain water going from left to right?

Thankfully the winds from the NE were lined up directly against the Runway 7L, so not really the most awful landing conditions, rains however were another story

Get inside the terminal, calls Mom, what’s the Number? 1 or 3?
The number refers to the Hong Kong Tropical Warning Signal, No. 1 for standby, No. 3 for strong winds.

Part 6 Continues Below
Old Jul 27, 2012, 11:24 am
Original Poster

What do you mean No. 8??? Mom, this isn’t a joke right.
Nope, No. 8 just went up 1/2 hour ago, I guess it will be a fun time to get home

Usually its quicker to take a bus to get home, but not today, I got soaked just waiting at the bus stop. My usual 1 hr 10 min commute took around 2 hours, guess I should’ve spent a couple more days in NYC or elsewhere.

Vicente ending getting top strength as a Severe Typhoon toping out at 155 km/h, 95 mp/h.

Stormy ending just like how stormy from beginning to end how these tickets were
Hope you have enjoyed another one of my TR and safe travels!
Old Jul 27, 2012, 12:44 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Short hair Francis
I’ve taken a buddy’s challenge of randomly inviting cute girl(s) into the lounge, sadly none were to be found today.
Surprisingly I seem to have better luck in the YY-Zee lol
That's a great idea! I'm going to start doing that!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.