Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

Eminem has his 8 Mile, I’ll take my 4 Mile (United Int’l and Premium Service F)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Eminem has his 8 Mile, I’ll take my 4 Mile (United Int’l and Premium Service F)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 27, 2012, 4:56 pm

Look like a good time and for not much
Old Jul 27, 2012, 10:54 pm

Programs: UA PP
i lol'ed - thanks for posting this!
Old Jul 27, 2012, 11:08 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HH Diamond, AA PLT, DL Silver
Great report! Love following along!
Old Jul 28, 2012, 4:06 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC 75K, A3*G, AS MVPG, AA LT Gold 1MM, JL/JGC (OWS) , Marriott Titanium, Hertz 5*, Avis PC
Originally Posted by iceman77_7
That's a great idea! I'm going to start doing that!
hehe
I find the easiest way to do that is while waiting through the security line
But you might need to wait at the general rather than the priority line in this case

Originally Posted by onefasteuro
Look like a good time and for not much
Oh for sure, it was a great weekend.
As I said earlier, this United "4 Mile" promotion felt like I just suffer a 400% inflation rate in a month on my other RGN fares

Originally Posted by lilazncanadian
i lol'ed - thanks for posting this!
Originally Posted by SMFlagg
Great report! Love following along!
Thanks you two
Glad to be writing up more adventures on the TR forum :-:
Hopefully there will be more in the years to come
Old Jul 28, 2012, 4:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Francis, you're on a roll on this one. ^

Originally Posted by Short hair Francis
I’ve taken a buddy’s challenge of randomly inviting cute girl(s) into the lounge, sadly none were to be found today. Surprisingly I seem to have better luck in the YY-Zee lol
Let me guess... jfkeze?
And this really works?

So about 12:55pm, I headed back out to the gate, and a family of 6 also follows me into the elevator back to the concourse level. I asked them if they are headed to HKG and they were and I naturally asked if they were going for “4 Miles.” All they said back was excuse me, what did you say?
Never Mind….
^

I promised not to cheat on you next time
Yeah, that will last until the next mistake fare.

Fruit Bowl, doesn’t this belong on domestic F?
Yeah, UA has this strange fixation with a fruit cup. They serve the damn thing with dinner on domestic flights.
Old Jul 28, 2012, 7:54 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC 75K, A3*G, AS MVPG, AA LT Gold 1MM, JL/JGC (OWS) , Marriott Titanium, Hertz 5*, Avis PC
Originally Posted by SFO777
Francis, you're on a roll on this one. ^

I’ve taken a buddy’s challenge of randomly inviting cute girl(s) into the lounge, sadly none were to be found today.
Surprisingly I seem to have better luck in the YY-Zee lol
Let me guess... jfkeze?
And this really works?
Actually no, not jfkeze, I think it was El Chiflero or college buddies idea like 1 to 2 years back.
I rarely works, I've only had it happen maybe 3-5 times tops...
Of course, I never have the patience to wait in line greatly kills my chances.

This works ALOT BETTER if you try to do everything the kettle way, so economy check-in, economy security line, scouting the gate area a little.
Hence why AA at YYZ T3 works well because i'm forced in with the mass, wait at CBP, talk to girls , wait at security, talks to more girls
And BAM, you're right in front of the YYZ Admiral's Club
Offer a drink at the club is easy, what girl at our age doesn't want a drink :-:
Well the alcoholic anonymous convention back in YVR/April sure doesn't
And of course don't go for girls no younger/older than 10 yrs from yourself @:-)

So the toothless and hairless 70-80 y.o looking to entertain college chick should try elsewhere, more likely to be labelled as a pervert or have the police called

So about 12:55pm, I headed back out to the gate, and a family of 6 also follows me into the elevator back to the concourse level. I asked them if they are headed to HKG and they were and I naturally asked if they were going for “4 Miles”
All they said back was excuse me, what did you say?
Never Mind….
^
Ya really, I couldn't shut up fast enough on that occasion

Yeah, that will last until the next mistake fare.

Yeah, UA has this strange fixation with a fruit cup. They serve the damn thing with dinner on domestic flights.
Fruit Bowl, doesn’t this belong on domestic F?
:
Not necessarily, with RGN, and SQ "Flood-Gate" mistakes, all my travel dates to next June is basically booked up.
Would be very hard to motivate me to go for another mistake fare unless it's like "4 Mile" retarded or its a shorter trip that I can nest in with existing days

The only problem I have with this is served it with dessert and not during the regular meal.
Old Jul 30, 2012, 10:04 am

Programs: Something lifetime here and there
Nice Pictures on the return to HKG. Every time I see pics of the SFO lounge with the food reminds me of being in the lounge (on my way to SIN) when a SFO-FRA pax admitted to me that he thought the "green stuff" was suppose to be guacamole for his chicken wrap sandwich....not for the sushi...needless to say he went through some water after that mistake... But I digress....

Most hasn't changed except the dessert presentation is better than the past....The two things that stood out to me on the plane:

1) The serving/presentation of a sparkling wine for the PDB...that is something you would see on a domestic flight. Looks "cheap".

2) They now serve breakfast arriving into HKG early eve? That is a shocker...I when they had the pot pie options (either seafood or chicken) for the pre-arrival..

Glad you made it home ok...next time..pack a slicker!!
Old Jul 30, 2012, 4:22 pm

Programs: AAdvantage ExPlat LT Gold, BA Silver, Aegean Star Gold
Originally Posted by iceman77_7
That's a great idea! I'm going to start doing that!
I did it once in Chicago... nice way to meet people, but after that haven't found any cuties...
Old Jul 30, 2012, 4:49 pm

Programs: AAdvantage ExPlat LT Gold, BA Silver, Aegean Star Gold

Well the alcoholic anonymous convention back in YVR/April sure doesn't
And of course don't go for girls no younger/older than 10 yrs from yourself
10 years younger? dude... remember... 18 is always the lower limit hehe

that YVR convention, those girls didn't drink, but everything else under the sun was being used there... so weird...
Old Jul 31, 2012, 12:30 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K, AS MVP Gold, AF, BA, KE, SQ, CX, DL, TG
OK AA is better than UA, but that's not saying much.

Funny when I scroll through the comments and saw this comment without looking who posted it.... I kinda know that it's you SFO777 lol
Old Jul 31, 2012, 1:05 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K, AS MVP Gold, AF, BA, KE, SQ, CX, DL, TG
About the pre-arrival meal, I always think it is the worst part of UA First. Why can't they do a decent meal before arrival giving how long the flight is. People would be hungry again for a real meal!! I flew this route in UA F in 2008 and they only had either a sandwich or fruit plate!... Even worse than your experience! Now at least they have congee (Asian option). I also saw a report that they have a bit of noodle before landing as well.... so this is already "improved" from 4 years ago.

Mid flight snack is also already "improved", they use to have only cup noodle and cheap-looking sandwich. I don't understand why can't they do better, it is an International First after all.
Old Jul 31, 2012, 1:12 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Another excellent report from you (not that I'm surprised by now!). Thanks for the mention too, it was appreciated.
Old Aug 1, 2012, 3:37 pm

Programs: AF Plat Ultimate, BA GGL, MS Elite
Eminem has his 8 Mile, I’ll take my 4 Mile

WELL SAID !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Glad you could have done it ! It's the best deal ever !!!

too bad you flew UA... but for 4 miles we can figure out.....

tks again !

Thomas
Old Aug 2, 2012, 5:28 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by goingbananas
Nice Pictures on the return to HKG. Every time I see pics of the SFO lounge with the food reminds me of being in the lounge (on my way to SIN) when a SFO-FRA pax admitted to me that he thought the "green stuff" was suppose to be guacamole for his chicken wrap sandwich....not for the sushi...needless to say he went through some water after that mistake... But I digress....

Most hasn't changed except the dessert presentation is better than the past....The two things that stood out to me on the plane:

1) The serving/presentation of a sparkling wine for the PDB...that is something you would see on a domestic flight. Looks "cheap".

2) They now serve breakfast arriving into HKG early eve? That is a shocker...I when they had the pot pie options (either seafood or chicken) for the pre-arrival..

Glad you made it home ok...next time..pack a slicker!!
Ooo... Mistaking Wasabi for guacamole, that's got to hurt
Surprisingly that UA IFL is the only lounge i remember with a good amount of free flowing sushi.

That sparkline wine of a PDB still looks better with that inbound plastic wine glass than the usual economy cup on the outbound
Breakfast serving just prior to arrival is horrible, I mean i'm supposed to eat breakfast at 4am?
Change I like, sorry nope Smi/J
Surprisingly I hate rain coats or rain hence I moved away from YVR

Originally Posted by jfkeze
I did it once in Chicago... nice way to meet people, but after that haven't found any cuties...
10 years younger? dude... remember... 18 is always the lower limit hehe

that YVR convention, those girls didn't drink, but everything else under the sun was being used there... so weird...
YYZ and LAX for me, cuties tend to be coach or Southwest
18 is always the limit now, I meant a couple of years back it wasn't when I was still a freshman underage drinking on a AA mainline near you

Originally Posted by concorde02
Funny when I scroll through the comments and saw this comment without looking who posted it.... I kinda know that it's you SFO777 lol
Originally Posted by concorde02
About the pre-arrival meal, I always think it is the worst part of UA First. Why can't they do a decent meal before arrival giving how long the flight is. People would be hungry again for a real meal!! I flew this route in UA F in 2008 and they only had either a sandwich or fruit plate!... Even worse than your experience! Now at least they have congee (Asian option). I also saw a report that they have a bit of noodle before landing as well.... so this is already "improved" from 4 years ago.

Mid flight snack is also already "improved", they use to have only cup noodle and cheap-looking sandwich. I don't understand why can't they do better, it is an International First after all.
Telling all those champagne pours are all SFO777 pics, priceless
I like the UA First seat, hardware is perfectly fine but the soft product leaves much to be desired.
Service is hit and miss, I like the outbound service by Katie and Rick, hope they are reading this, the inbound service, not really.
That mid-flight snack is already "improved", oh crap
I mean who serves vegetable noodles for mid-flight snack seriously, go into a HKG noodle shop and seriously how many would order that?
I would have preferred the sandwich option over breakfast.
Guess that is the price when most people are using SWUs or miles vs. outright buying F/A fares.

Originally Posted by CMK10
Another excellent report from you (not that I'm surprised by now!). Thanks for the mention too, it was appreciated.
No no, I have to thank you you personally. I didn't remember to take my SFO-JFK menu but surprisingly your main courses were same as mine.
Definitely saved my butt there

Originally Posted by milesaddict
Eminem has his 8 Mile, I’ll take my 4 Mile
WELL SAID !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Glad you could have done it ! It's the best deal ever !!!
too bad you flew UA... but for 4 miles we can figure out.....
tks again !
Thomas
Thanks for reading, and you have to thank SFO777 for the title.
He gave me that suggestion/tweaking help, I had the eminem thing in mind.

I originally came up with this name before the tweak
"Eminem needed his 8 Mile, Frequent Flyers need their 4 United Miles"

I was pushing to fly as soon as possible, LH First would have been fantastic, but I flew cheaper than a non-rev so can't complain.
Old Aug 5, 2012, 11:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, SQ Gold, KQ Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Accor Silver
Interesting report! Very lucky to get those four F flights for virtually nothing.

I am never impressed with UA's catering in trip reports, and this was no exception. Serving a PDB in a plastic cup in F (or J) is simply not acceptable. I'm also not a fan of cart service in F, but I thought in this trip report the sundae cart looked quite good!

The UA F lounge at JFK is certainly a far cry from the BA CCR, or even their recently refurbished F and J lounges.

However, for the virtually nothing paid for the trips I think they would have been four very enjoyably flights!

You do need to sleep more though, you know

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.