30 Travel Tips: Safety, Packing, Etiquette

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

30 Travel Tips: Safety, Packing, Etiquette

Search this Thread

Old Jun 9, 2011, 9:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Marriott or Hilton hot tub with a big drink <glub> Beverage: To-Go Bag™ DYKWIA: SSSS /rolleyes ☈ Date Night: Costco
Programs: Sea Shell Lounge Platinum, TSA Pre✓ Refusnik Diamond, PWP Gold, FT subset of the subset
I'm not sure if a photo of a passport would be of much use to someone with malicious intent, certainly less than a drivers license (which is why my passport card is what someone will get if ID is required, from the TDCer at the airport checkpoint, to being carded for alcohol.

Originally Posted by jackal
Not only can you track your missing iPhone via GPS, you can force it back to the lock screen, change the lock code, send it a message that will display on the screen (and make a sound even if it's on silent--great for finding it when it's slipped into the couch cushions), and--if necessary--allow you to remote-wipe it if you believe it has fallen into the wrong hands.
I can remotely wipe my BlackBerry, but that's about it. Do Android phones have some more advanced features?
Old Jun 9, 2011, 10:41 am

Programs: I'm a nobody everywhere
Originally Posted by N965VJ
I'm not sure if a photo of a passport would be of much use to someone with malicious intent, certainly less than a drivers license (which is why my passport card is what someone will get if ID is required, from the TDCer at the airport checkpoint, to being carded for alcohol.

I can remotely wipe my BlackBerry, but that's about it. Do Android phones have some more advanced features?
You do a lot more on a Blackberry. You can make it ring at max volume remotely. Track its location and wipe its data if need be. All included in the program Blackberry Protect.
Old Jun 9, 2011, 11:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM (LT-PLT, PPro for this year)
Originally Posted by N965VJ
Out of the box, no; with the right apps or the right ROM, yes.
Old Jun 9, 2011, 1:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Marriott or Hilton hot tub with a big drink <glub> Beverage: To-Go Bag™ DYKWIA: SSSS /rolleyes ☈ Date Night: Costco
Programs: Sea Shell Lounge Platinum, TSA Pre✓ Refusnik Diamond, PWP Gold, FT subset of the subset
Originally Posted by teriyaki
All included in the program Blackberry Protect.
I use a BB Enterprise Server, so that app is not compatible, unfortunately.
Old Jun 9, 2011, 8:02 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
I like the zip- ties idea, but if you're going carryon only, how do you cut the ties later? Nail scissors would get confiscated.

I want to zip-tie parts of my bag before putting it through the scanner.

KatieBaker
Old Jun 9, 2011, 9:23 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by emma69
Several places around the world require a copy of your passport for things, such as exchanging money in Mexico. I am not sure how much can be done with a picture of the passport, but I certainly haven't thought twice when a copy has been needed for e.g. getting a drivers licence etc.
Good point..

So many things to remember.. but I do carry a photocopy of the passport in case..
Old Jun 9, 2011, 10:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by KatieBaker
I like the zip- ties idea, but if you're going carryon only, how do you cut the ties later? Nail scissors would get confiscated.
Are those nail "scissors" shorter than 4 inches? If so, they're allowed. Nail clippers are also allowed.
Old Sep 10, 2012, 10:41 am

Programs: AA Platinum, AA AC, HHonors Diamond
Resurrecting the thread...

I travel with a small 120 lumen flashlight with a strobe function for protection. Situational awareness is first and foremost, but 120 flashing lumens blasted into the face of an attacker will often disorient the bad guy long enough to put distance between you and them.
Old Sep 10, 2012, 2:47 pm

Programs: AmEx Centurion, BA Gold, BD Gold, EK Silver, Hilton Diamond, Intercon Gold Ambassador
Carry your own toiletry bag. I have a small leather Prada bag (probably originally made to be a small ladies cosmetic bag) that I've placed in it: set of ear plugs, small bottle of sanitary gel, a tester size cologne (the freebie ones), very small (finger size) flash light, small mirror (picked up ages ago from a Swiss Air toiletry bag), portable tooth brush/paste, plastic tooth pick, a cotton swab, a cotton ball, and Aqua Di Parma lotion.
Had it for years and never travel without it.
Old Sep 10, 2012, 11:23 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by camjr
Resurrecting the thread...

I travel with a small 120 lumen flashlight with a strobe function for protection. Situational awareness is first and foremost, but 120 flashing lumens blasted into the face of an attacker will often disorient the bad guy long enough to put distance between you and them.
Good point. Carrying a flashlight is always a good idea. It has several safety advantages. ^

Not the least of which is if you are simply getting up at night and need to find your way in an unknown room without turning on the big lights.

Till
Old Sep 10, 2012, 11:57 pm

Originally Posted by tfar
Good point. Carrying a flashlight is always a good idea. It has several safety advantages...Not the least of which is if you are simply getting up at night and need to find your way in an unknown room without turning on the big lights.
You can buy (travel-type) clocks which double as flashlights: when you pick up the clock from the bed-stand the flashlight component activates. You can then carry it to guide yourself through an unlit room - handy for navigating hotel rooms.
Old Sep 11, 2012, 12:30 am

Originally Posted by muji
You can buy (travel-type) clocks which double as flashlights: when you pick up the clock from the bed-stand the flashlight component activates. You can then carry it to guide yourself through an unlit room - handy for navigating hotel rooms.
At this point, why not just use your cell phone? The screen provides enough illumination to see yet isn't too much and it has alarm clock functionality.
Old Sep 14, 2012, 2:52 pm

Programs: AmEx Centurion, BA Gold, BD Gold, EK Silver, Hilton Diamond, Intercon Gold Ambassador
Scan important documents such as passports, IDs, credit cards, etc. and email them to yourself or send to cloud. That way if ever lost and needed copies they are just a PC/iPad/etc away.
Old Sep 14, 2012, 4:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM (LT-PLT, PPro for this year)
Originally Posted by ssamuels
Scan important documents such as passports, IDs, credit cards, etc. and email them to yourself or send to cloud. That way if ever lost and needed copies they are just a PC/iPad/etc away.
If you don't specifically have a cloud storage service, one option rather than emailing them to yourself is to attach them to an email and save it as a draft.
Old Sep 14, 2012, 4:48 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by muji
Cool. I didn't know that existed. I do have the exact same thing though in an Iphone app called Alarm Clock Pro. Works very well.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.