Community
Wiki Posts
Search

30 Travel Tips: Safety, Packing, Etiquette

Search this Thread

Old Sep 19, 2009, 10:14 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tjl
Nothing effectively secures your checked baggage, since thieves can break any lock or other device keeping it closed, or steal the entire bag and work on it later. Distinctively colored zip ties, or the TSA locks with the indicator that they have been opened with the TSA key, at least function as a means of detecting whether someone has opened your baggage (so do non-TSA combination locks, but replacing them every time that they are cut off is more expensive than zip ties). Key locks, including TSA locks without the indicator, should be assumed to not provide any sort of detection, since thieves likely have all of the possible keys to them.

What really should be done is to have passengers drop off tagged baggage to a screening area, where the passengers can watch the screening and provide the key or combination to any locks on the baggage if necessary. After screening, any locks can be relocked and the bag sent down the chute.
That set-up was the case in many airports until not too long ago. I really liked that. I also think that TSA should be asked to provide a sign on the OUTSIDE of the bag to indicate they have been searching it. The fact that they don't do that is a sign that this organization is not to be trusted, neither with protecting our safety nor with our luggage. In addition, it would be not a bad idea to have a gated baggage area where people have to show the tag on the bag and the luggage receipt to an airport employee to make sure they match.

The way the baggage claims are set up in Austin for example is so that one person in a car can wait at the passenger pick-up zone, while the other accomplice just goes in and picks whatever bag from the belt. It would be a grab and run. A little risky but not impossible at all.

Till
Old Sep 19, 2009, 11:05 pm
tjl

Programs: AS,WN,UA,B6,hotels
Originally Posted by tfar
That set-up was the case in many airports until not too long ago.
I have never seen that setup (where a passenger may be able to watch the security screening of his/her checked baggage) in the US other than at an oversize baggage checkin. Where did you see this kind of setup?

Some airports in other countries are set up so that you have your checked baggage security screened before you check in; the security screeners can ask for the combination or key to any locks if they want to look inside, and you can watch them do the inspection. After inspection, they put tamper evident tape on the bag to show that it stayed closed after inspection. You then can check the bag at the checkin counter.

That setup seemed to work fine there. One concern may be if the tamper evident tape were not as effective as intended, but that could be remedied by designing the airport so that the passenger gets the bag tagged first, then takes it to security screening, which then puts the bag directly on the belt to the airline after the security screening is done (as described previously and like how oversized baggage is screened in some airports).
Old Sep 20, 2009, 12:17 am
Original Poster

tjl, what you describe in your third paragraph is what we had in Austin until about two years ago; very sure they had this set-up just not sure when it came or disappeared. My memory is cloudier on other airports in the US. I think I've also seen this set-up at EWR and ORD but cannot remember it exactly, although rather sure for ORD and it was most likely after 2006. Paris CDG 2 might have had it, too.
This was back when they came out with the "you can't lock the suitcase rule" and when TSA locks were still uncommon.

The idea of having the screeners put tamper proof tape on your suitcase after screening it before your eyes is very good. For cost and liability reasons it is clear they won't do that. You can do it yourself, though. Just tape the closure with the tamper proof tape.

Till
Old Oct 2, 2009, 8:13 am
Suspended

I just finished a controlled trial with my partner alternating using the "stuff stuff in arm of coat" and using the "baggage tag bag". We did a hundred each and subjectively compared ease of going through security.

Let me tell you that the baggage tag bag won hands down.

You put the stuff from your pockets in the bag while you are waitin in line and put it back in pocket at lounge or gate. With suitcase and computer bag, dealing with coat is hard. I was not sure of small price but it was definately worth it. No more leaving phone at xray, etc
Old Oct 2, 2009, 8:08 pm
Original Poster

Safety bells

tcl just posted a nice tip in another thread and I'd like to allow myself to repeat this here.

To prevent someone walking off with your bag while you might be buying a sandwich or busy with security, attach some little bells to it. Ideally, two or three in different locations. You'll also need a little string baggy to put the bells in before and afterwards, lest you get annoyed by the ringing yourself.

Here is the original link. Thanks, tcl!

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/12447465-post13.html

Till
Old Oct 17, 2009, 10:45 pm

Great list!
Old Oct 18, 2009, 9:39 am
Suspended

Programs: Chairman US Air, four million miles Delta and F.C., Plat Prem Marriott, Marquis Jet," Air America
Talking

Originally Posted by jrhmdtraum
I just finished a controlled trial with my partner alternating using the "stuff stuff in arm of coat" and using the "baggage tag bag". We did a hundred each and subjectively compared ease of going through security.

Let me tell you that the baggage tag bag won hands down.

You put the stuff from your pockets in the bag while you are waitin in line and put it back in pocket at lounge or gate. With suitcase and computer bag, dealing with coat is hard. I was not sure of small price but it was definately worth it. No more leaving phone at xray, etc
At your suggestion, I ordered one. You are correct. It is the best thing ever. I am almost thinking of buying a gross and selling them my next trip
Old Oct 25, 2009, 9:39 pm
Original Poster

Here are a couple of things that I learned from others or by experience on recent trips.

Traveling liquid free can be achieved quite easily. For me the last obstacle was hair gel.

I found a product called American Crew Fiber. It is a solid wax. They also have a clay product that is equally solid. You need to rub it in your palms before using it but it works great. Comes in containers of 3.53, 3.0 and 1.7oz. I have traveled with this twice so far and the biggest jar even has not been detected or at least not been admonished.

I will further repack it in some contact lens containers I bought. You could use one for the hair wax and the other side for shaving soap. Minimal tare weight and just the amount of product you need for a short trip.

For cologne I used to take small sample vials. Now I will just use the paper cologne samples one can find in magazines like Men's Health. They are often quite luxurious products and quite efficient. Completely dry and lightweight.

Another possibility is to spray the interior of your suitcase with your favorite cologne before packing. The clothes will stay fresh longer and you will still smell like your fave fragrance. Absolutely no weight added.

Till
Old Oct 26, 2009, 12:13 pm

good stuff
Old Oct 26, 2009, 1:08 pm

Here is a self-defense technique that may sound strange at first. A friend who is an expert in close combat and blackbelt in two martial arts told me to wear a belt with a heavier than normal buckle. Not one of those massive ones worn by cowboys but something with a little heft. I currently wear a Ralph Lauren that is heavier than average but still fashionable.

In an emergency, you have a very accessable stand-off weapon. Quickly remove and wrap the end once around your hand. With a couple of practice runs, this can be done in 2 - 3 seconds. Unlike a stungun, pepper spray, or knife, wearing a belt is not illegal so you can have one with you anywhere. In a confrontation, you now have at least 2 - 4 feet (.6 - 1.2m) between you and the assailant. A few good swings even without contact will usually deter an assault.

Worked for me on a recent trip when a couple of persistant panhandlers would not back off. Not knowing all their intentions, I went with action. After seeing the flying metal, they reconsidered and walked away.

The newspaper and metal pen suggestions are still good as anything is better than nothing. Just know that if something bad is happening, use anything you can. My friend even showed me that a set of keys can act as a set of poor man's brass knuckes. Not much, but this "stinger" could mean the difference between getting away and being a victim.
Old Oct 26, 2009, 3:15 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sard
good stuff

Thanks! Pass it on and feel free to contribute your own tips.

Originally Posted by WChou
Here is a self-defense technique that may sound strange at first. A friend who is an expert in close combat and blackbelt in two martial arts told me to wear a belt with a heavier than normal buckle. Not one of those massive ones worn by cowboys but something with a little heft. I currently wear a Ralph Lauren that is heavier than average but still fashionable.

In an emergency, you have a very accessable stand-off weapon. Quickly remove and wrap the end once around your hand. With a couple of practice runs, this can be done in 2 - 3 seconds. Unlike a stungun, pepper spray, or knife, wearing a belt is not illegal so you can have one with you anywhere. In a confrontation, you now have at least 2 - 4 feet (.6 - 1.2m) between you and the assailant. A few good swings even without contact will usually deter an assault.

Worked for me on a recent trip when a couple of persistant panhandlers would not back off. Not knowing all their intentions, I went with action. After seeing the flying metal, they reconsidered and walked away.

The newspaper and metal pen suggestions are still good as anything is better than nothing. Just know that if something bad is happening, use anything you can. My friend even showed me that a set of keys can act as a set of poor man's brass knuckes. Not much, but this "stinger" could mean the difference between getting away and being a victim.
The belt technique is a really good idea. Thanks. There are these little self-defense batons that you can wear around the neck. Used correctly, these things can be terrible weapons, just like a tactical flashlight on a belt clip. And slapping someone in the face with a big key bundle surely provides a good stun effect.

One more thing is to wear shoes with laces (double tied so they don't open). I was once in a situation where I first had to defend myself against two thugs. During the struggle I lost one of my loafers. That wasn't a huge problem during the struggle but it was still a distraction. However, when I wanted to run after them (I don't give up easily ) it cost me very valuable second because I first had to find the shoe, then put it on and then wasn't able to run very fast. I lost them.

Added tip: You usually don't run after thugs but away from them.

So, especially for the ladies. If you are out alone at night or even if you are not alone, it is always a good idea to wear some shoes that you won't lose and in which you can run and eventually deliver a good kick.

On the other hand (or shall I say foot), a stiletto to the eye, throat or temple is certainly VERY effective.

Till
Old Dec 6, 2009, 2:18 pm
Original Poster

Thanks to Kevin from Practicalhacks who posted a link to this list of very good tips from an experienced traveler:
http://ac360.blogs.cnn.com/2009/10/1...ted-traveling/

There are some tips there that are very complementary to the list in the first post and to what has been said throughout the thread. Good read!

Till
Old Dec 6, 2009, 5:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM (LT-PLT, PPro for this year)
Thanks to Kevin from Practicalhacks who posted a link to this list of very good tips from an experienced traveler:
http://ac360.blogs.cnn.com/2009/10/1...ted-traveling/

There are some tips there that are very complementary to the list in the first post and to what has been said throughout the thread. Good read!
Mostly very good.

The one I would worry about it "carry lots of cash," which is a good idea in theory but requires the corrolary "don't bring more cash than you can comfortably afford to lose," and the further corrolary "if you're thinking of going someplace which doesn't have a good credit card/ATM infrastructure, and can't afford the risk of having your cash stolen, you probably can't really afford to go."
Old Dec 6, 2009, 6:00 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by nkedel
Mostly very good.

The one I would worry about it "carry lots of cash," which is a good idea in theory but requires the corrolary "don't bring more cash than you can comfortably afford to lose," and the further corrolary "if you're thinking of going someplace which doesn't have a good credit card/ATM infrastructure, and can't afford the risk of having your cash stolen, you probably can't really afford to go."
I agree. Still overall a very good list which is why I thought I'd add it to the arsenal.
Old Dec 6, 2009, 9:03 pm
Suspended

I agree. Still overall a very good list which is why I thought I'd add it to the arsenal.
I carry (and have used) a darringer

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.