30 Travel Tips: Safety, Packing, Etiquette

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

30 Travel Tips: Safety, Packing, Etiquette

Search this Thread

Old Aug 26, 2009, 7:23 am
Suspended

The problem is that zip ties do not secure your luggage. There was a recent article in NYTimes of baggage handlers cutting the ties, taking stuff and then replacing the ties with the cheap bags they bought at kmart.

The locks keep most people honest. True, sometimes the TSA agents are lazy and cut them instead of using their keys - but they secure your bag while the ties DO NOT
Old Aug 26, 2009, 2:10 pm
Original Poster

I don't agree. Ordinary TSA locks are an invitation to the TSA to open the bag without being detected. Easy, quick and non-destructive opening and being sure that the opening will not be detected right away lower the inhibition threshold. My bag snope frequency sky-rocketed when I used those locks. Almost every time still when I use the Rimowa suitcase it gets a good mixing through. Sometimes with note, sometimes without. I presume the reason is that they know fairly well that these are bloody expensive suitcases and that there are most likely nice things in them. So why not take a look-see and check if there is something for the wife or the kids inside.

I have since added a big hand-written note to please place a notice in the case and saying that I have a list and photographs of the case's contents. Ever since, my case still gets opened but I do get a love letter from them.

Now, when I used the other cases with normal TSA locks the rate was much higher than when I used them with keyed brass locks. After using the Search Alert feature locks the rate dropped. After using zip ties I have only had a case opened ONCE and there was a note. The zip tie had not been replaced by the way.

Basically, using zip ties forces them to destroy something (the zip tie) which should act as a natural inhibition barrier if we graciously assume that even TSA are not totally rotten people. Using color zip ties and not including same color spares for the return trip in your case makes it much harder for them to go undetected. Again a higher threshold of inhibition, and an easy detection method for the user; even easier perhaps than Search Alert locks.

I will rather believe my own personal experience and common sense than a NYT article. I challenge you to use the color zip tie method yourself for some time and report back with your own experience. You can then make a really informed decision (instead of arguing in this otherwise helpful thread) taking into account your own experience and the NYT article. I will critically re-evaluate my experience in light of what an omniscient NYT says and report back at the end of the year whether the zip tie method still works.

For the sake of completeness I add a link to the thread on luggage theft prevention where zip tie alternatives are also discussed:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...eft+prevention

Till
Old Aug 26, 2009, 2:33 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by tfar
Well, I don't know about Air Canada. Have never used them. But I know about the Germans and the French, having used them both and being German having lived in France for a long time. I'd venture to say the Germans can be reasoned with. If you do it in a formal way, they will see you are not a coach person and do the right thing. The French might be harder to be reasoned with but they can probably be charmed, which the Germans might be less susceptible to.

Till
Air France has always upgraded me if asked in proper Parisian French (ie not Montreal French) if I have had a problem so something like above. I don't know about AC, but most airlines do have a rule that if a person "takes up two seats" they have to pay for them. You should have had the FA enforce it.

As to ties,
Perhaps I am lucky or don't use Riwona suitcases but I have not had anything stolen from a checked bag (other than the whole bag gone AWOL) in over 5 million miles of combined flights. I have had narcotics, booze, cameras, ipods and even foreign money in my cases. I have had the luck cut with a note stating TSA has been there.

As to hotels when I have checked in early, that is a something else. That is why the TSA locks are best. The TSA folks are federal law enforcement people. It is taken very seriously when they steal and I think it is a shame and quite rude to state online that they might. Baggage handlers are a different story and letters that you have things photographed will not make any differance. If you do use a Riwona bag you are telling them "Hey, check me out" and a zip line closure definately will not while a lock usually will.

But til, you know best
Old Aug 26, 2009, 2:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Marriott or Hilton hot tub with a big drink <glub> Beverage: To-Go Bag DYKWIA: SSSS /rolleyes ☈ Date Night: Costco
Programs: Sea Shell Lounge Platinum, TSA Pre✓ Refusnik Diamond, PWP Gold, FT subset of the subset
Originally Posted by jrhmdtraum
<SNIP> The TSA folks are federal law enforcement people.
TSA employees are most definitely *not* LEOs.

It is taken very seriously when they steal and I think it is a shame and quite rude to state online that they might.
TSA employees are caught stealing on a regular basis.
Old Aug 26, 2009, 3:02 pm
Suspended

Ok technically, most are "federal security agents" (with the exception of the air marshalls which are bonefied law enforcement officers).

[quote}TSA employees are caught stealing on a regular basis. [/quote]

please document.
Old Aug 26, 2009, 3:07 pm
Suspended

Testimony to Congress May 3, 2006

TSA has an excellent track record when it comes to appropriately handling all forms of passenger property, including checked baggage. Since we assumed control over aviation security, over 2 billion passengers have been screened, and we have recorded approximately 84,000 claims alleging lost or damaged property. The incidence of damage or loss attributable to TSA security operations is well below one tenth of one percent of passengers traveling through the system. Nevertheless, TSA screening has occasionally resulted in some delay, damage, and loss to checked baggage, and we are working diligently to prevent even these anomalies.

Theft from passengers is a problem that affects all key players in the aviation industry, and unfortunately, TSA is not immune. Our policy regarding theft is to take action to deter it, and react aggressively when we become aware of it. Our Transportation Security Officers are held to the highest professional and ethical standards. As a result, we have a zero-tolerance policy for theft in the workplace. Allegations of misconduct are aggressively investigated, and when infractions are discovered, offenders are swiftly removed from the agency’s employment. Since August 2002, 87 TSOs have been removed from employment for theft from passengers’ checked or carry-on baggage. Many of the offending screeners were turned in by their fellow employees. TSA also works with State and local law enforcement to ensure that offenders are prosecuted.

[quote}TSA employees are caught stealing on a regular basis. [/quote]
Does not sound like a regular basis.
Again, I feel it is rude to accuse these people.
Old Aug 26, 2009, 3:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Marriott or Hilton hot tub with a big drink <glub> Beverage: To-Go Bag DYKWIA: SSSS /rolleyes ☈ Date Night: Costco
Programs: Sea Shell Lounge Platinum, TSA Pre✓ Refusnik Diamond, PWP Gold, FT subset of the subset
Originally Posted by N965VJ
TSA employees are caught stealing on a regular basis.
please document.
LAX Tops Nation In Stolen, Missing Luggage Items
Nov 7, 2008

<SNIP>

These two LAX employees would only talk if we concealed their identities.

"I saw thefts within the first few weeks of working there."

They both say there are organized rings of thieves, who identify valuables in your checked luggage by looking at the TSA x-ray screens, then communicate with baggage handlers by text or cell phone, telling them exactly what to look for.

"This is a laptop here, VCR here and it's located in this area of the bag. Here's the color of the bag. They give them all the information they need to know."

"He was going through the bag like he was searching it? Yeah searching it."

Sky Nguyen knows firsthand. He took this picture of a TSA screener with his camera phone after he saw the agent steal his iPod.

"You saw the Nano in here? Yeah inside here between the glove and palm."

The TSA agent was arrested and charged with theft.

Tempting the thieves with the pocketables

By Joe Sharkey
Published: December 9, 2008

<SNIP>

I do everything the experts recommend to minimize the possibility of having something stolen when I check a bag. Mostly that means that I try not to put easily filched valuables in the bag.

Kathleen Kemper, of Kirkland, Washington State, an experienced domestic and international traveler, usually takes the same precaution.

But on a recent flight from Albuquerque through Phoenix to Seattle, Kemper casually slipped her Apple iPod into a zip pocket in a suitcase she was checking. When she got to Seattle, the iPod was gone. Inside her suitcase was one of those notes from the Transportation Security Administration, saying that a TSA inspector had opened the bag.
TSA agent helped himself to a $47,900 camera (and more!)

by Scott Carmichael Oct 10th 2008

<SNIP>

The latest in a long lineup of bad press for the agency involves TSA screener Pythias Brown. This 48 year old resident of Maplewood, NJ was supposed to keep bad stuff off the plane, but instead, he was helping himself to valuable items from the bags of people entrusting him with their belongings.

Pythias started small, stealing cameras, laptop computers, gaming consoles and eventually moved on to the good stuff including a video camera belonging to CNN, and a $47,900 camera stored inside the bag of an HBO employee.

The items were sold on Ebay, and as you can see from his feedback listing, these were not cheap items.

TSA official fired in alleged theft

By Linda Loyd
4-6-09
INQUIRER STAFF WRITER

Transportation Safety Administration investigators have fired a lead TSA official from his Philadelphia International Airport duties for alleged theft from passengers' bags. The mid-level transportation security officer was caught stealing from checked baggage on April 1, said TSA spokeswoman Ann Davis. She declined to identify the TSA officer.

TSA officer faces drug charges in Palm Bay
BY KAUSTUV BASU FLORIDA TODAY April 9, 2009

Timothy Monroe, 41, faces charges including trafficking cocaine, possession of cocaine with intent to sell, possession of a firearm in the commission of a felony, possession of marijuana with intent to sell and possession of paraphernalia.

A Brevard County Circuit Court judge today set a bond of $743,000 for a Transportation Security Administration employee who has been charged with selling drugs from his Palm Bay house.

TSA Screener Accused of Stealing From Luggage at Phila. Int'l Airport

by KYW's Jim Melwert
6-3-09

A 36-year-old Willingboro, New Jersey man - and TSA employee - is facing federal charges that he stole several items out of luggage he was charged with checking.

Former TSA worker enters plea deal on fraud

The Associated Press, June 24, 2009

COVINGTON, Ky. A former federal government employee at the Cincinnati/Northern Kentucky airport has entered a plea agreement to charges that he stole from the government.

The Kentucky Enquirer reported 47-year-old Gary Kesner of Lebanon, Ohio, pleaded guilty to one count of wire fraud on Monday in U.S. District Court in Covington.

Sting operation catches TSA employee

BY Wil Cruz
DAILY NEWS STAFF WRITER

Wednesday, July 15th 2009

A sting captured by security cameras nabbed two sticky-fingered airport workers who swiped electronics planted by authorities, officials said.

Brian Burton, 27, and Antwon Simmons, 26, stole a laptop and cell phone from the decoy luggage as it moved through Kennedy Airport, Port Authority officials said.

Burton, an officer with the Transportation Security Administration, was videotaped July 7 pilfering through the Miami-bound suitcase in an airport screening room while Simmons, a baggage handler, looked on.
EDIT- More theft:

Ex-TSA screener gets 90 days

By Melissa Tanji
Maui News 8-29-09

WAILUKU A 30-year-old former Transportation Security Administration worker has been sentenced to 90 days in jail and five years of probation for stealing jewelry, gift cards and other items from tourists' luggage as they were screened at Kahului Airport.

Devie Darla Dale Feig, a single mother of five children, also was ordered to pay $945.39 in restitution, which she will pay to TSA. The agency already has reimbursed the victims.

According to court records, one of the victims, a teacher from Missouri, had items including a checkbook, house key and three Kohl's gift cards stolen from her luggage.

She later tracked the gift cards and found they were used by Feig to purchase items over the Internet, and the items were shipped to a Kahului address.

Police also found Feig with jewelry that was taken from a North Dakota woman's suitcase.

EDIT- More theft:

Crackdown Continues on TSA's Luggage Looters

Investigation into workers stealing from passengers at MIA ongoing
By WILLARD SHEPARD and BRIAN HAMACHER
Sep 29, 2009

<SNIP>

Sources say six TSA employees, two men and four women, were fired weeks ago for running the organized operation. One returned 31 passenger items, including an iPod, another brought back 25 stolen items, including jewelry and a camera after both were discovered.

Now detectives are trying to find more suspects while finding the rightful owners of the items, which include expensive watches, jewelry, cameras and other goods. They'll be prosecuted once the victims identify their belongings.

Last edited by N965VJ; Sep 29, 2009 at 8:42 am
Old Aug 26, 2009, 4:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tfar
I don't agree. Ordinary TSA locks are an invitation to the TSA to open the bag without being detected. Easy, quick and non-destructive opening and being sure that the opening will not be detected right away lower the inhibition threshold. My bag snope frequency sky-rocketed when I used those locks. Almost every time still when I use the Rimowa suitcase it gets a good mixing through. Sometimes with note, sometimes without. I presume the reason is that they know fairly well that these are bloody expensive suitcases and that there are most likely nice things in them. So why not take a look-see and check if there is something for the wife or the kids inside.

I have since added a big hand-written note to please place a notice in the case and saying that I have a list and photographs of the case's contents. Ever since, my case still gets opened but I do get a love letter from them.

Now, when I used the other cases with normal TSA locks the rate was much higher than when I used them with keyed brass locks. After using the Search Alert feature locks the rate dropped. After using zip ties I have only had a case opened ONCE and there was a note. The zip tie had not been replaced by the way.

Basically, using zip ties forces them to destroy something (the zip tie) which should act as a natural inhibition barrier if we graciously assume that even TSA are not totally rotten people. Using color zip ties and not including same color spares for the return trip in your case makes it much harder for them to go undetected. Again a higher threshold of inhibition, and an easy detection method for the user; even easier perhaps than Search Alert locks.

I will rather believe my own personal experience and common sense than a NYT article. I challenge you to use the color zip tie method yourself for some time and report back with your own experience. You can then make a really informed decision (instead of arguing in this otherwise helpful thread) taking into account your own experience and the NYT article. I will critically re-evaluate my experience in light of what an omniscient NYT says and report back at the end of the year whether the zip tie method still works.

For the sake of completeness I add a link to the thread on luggage theft prevention where zip tie alternatives are also discussed:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...eft+prevention

Till
Very interesting post, Till. I usually use TSA locks and have been lucky, but I like your colored-tie idea much, much better.
Old Aug 26, 2009, 7:35 pm
Original Poster

The TSA folks are federal law enforcement people. It is taken very seriously when they steal and I think it is a shame and quite rude to state online that they might.
ROTFLMAO! Really good one! Very funny!

Till
Old Aug 26, 2009, 8:10 pm
Suspended

Are you guys seeing the same TSA folks I am? They are near minimum wage, early 20's peons for the most part..yelling across the lines to their co-workers about American Idol contestants, .....ing about their shifts, and that's in the big markets. In the small ones, they are self-aggrandized blue collars convinced they are Jack Bauer.

It's all an illusion. The illusion of security. It calms the post/911 hysteria that lingers in non-frequent fliers.

There has been case after case, sting after sting of TSA flunkys stealing luggage items, being racist, molesting attractive females and violaiting passengers rights by removing books deemed radical or t-shirts that mock the government.

You can take the poorly paid security guard out of the ghetto, but you cannot take the ghetto out of the poorly paid security guard.
Old Aug 26, 2009, 8:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Ok technically, most are "federal security agents"
No, not "technically," any more than I am a federal law enforcement officer by virtue of being an officer of the federal court.

Like me, you have no powers of arrest, no powers of detention, no powers to search (other than the very narrow scope of the adminsitrative search for weapons, explosives and incendiaries) and absolutely no powers of seizure.

You are no different than a post office clerk or any other non-law enforcement federal employee. Your uniform and fake badge may fool casual fliers, but we know better -- you are an actor in an elaborate dog-and-pony show and have not improved security one iota over what we had pre-9/11 when your job was performed by minimum wage high-school drop outs who, at least, were far less abusive, rude and arrogant.

Save your "technically" for the TSA blog. You're not fooling anyone here.
Old Aug 26, 2009, 10:34 pm
Suspended

Why does the SNL skit "The Anal Retentive Chef" come to mind when I read the original post?
Old Aug 27, 2009, 1:24 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by thegeneral
Why does the SNL skit "The Anal Retentive Chef" come to mind when I read the original post?
I gotta watch that. Perhaps it will remind me of somebody I know...

To be honest, I just re-read the entire thread and must admit there was so many good advice in all the other posts I had forgotten half of it including stuff from my original post. So it's good to re-read it.

Till
Old Sep 19, 2009, 4:27 pm
Original Poster

I've seen quite a few thread where FT'ers ask whether their big suitcase which is close or even slightly over the 62 linear inch rule will cause a problem.

The answer is that it might be smarter to use a somewhat smaller suitcase (e.g. a 24-26") and if needed to add something like a duffel bag that can be checked in, too. This will have several positive effects:

- each piece will be easier to handle than one huge and heavy piece
- less tare weight per piece and ideally even combined
- thus better efficiency in actually filling the suitcase/bag to avoid wrinkles
- more total luggage capacity in volume AND weight
- no trouble when checking the bags, no extra fees
- possibility to cross pack to avoid problems with potentially lost luggage
- possibility to actually use the duffel as carry-on

The duffel can ride on top of the other suitcase, so the transport is really no big deal. Even a third bag can be usually hung with a hook on the main suitcase. Thus you could carry/roll three bags with one hand. The folks from Luggageworks have even come up with a four bag system, see here:
http://www.3dvo-models.com/clients/B...1129/model.php .
Click on "how it works".

Here is a little calculation example:

A standard 24 incher measures about 24x18x11, holding more or less 4752 cubic inches.
If you add something like a 21" duffel that measures 21x12x12 (i.e. still carry-on size) you add 3024 cubic inches to that, bringing you to 7776 cubic inches total volume.

A normal weight for the 24 inch suitcase is around 12-13lb. The duffel should be around 3lb. So you get a maximum of about 16lb tare weight. But since you have now two bags you can fill each bag up to 50lb. Hence you have effectively doubled your load capacity while keeping the same or less tare weight.

A 62 linear inch suitcase with 30x20x12 measures (normal airline limit) has a volume of just 7200 c.i. and a weight of around 15-16 pound, unless you find a lightweight model.

Till
Old Sep 19, 2009, 6:42 pm
tjl

Programs: AS,WN,UA,B6,hotels
The problem is that zip ties do not secure your luggage. There was a recent article in NYTimes of baggage handlers cutting the ties, taking stuff and then replacing the ties with the cheap bags they bought at kmart.

The locks keep most people honest. True, sometimes the TSA agents are lazy and cut them instead of using their keys - but they secure your bag while the ties DO NOT
Nothing effectively secures your checked baggage, since thieves can break any lock or other device keeping it closed, or steal the entire bag and work on it later. Distinctively colored zip ties, or the TSA locks with the indicator that they have been opened with the TSA key, at least function as a means of detecting whether someone has opened your baggage (so do non-TSA combination locks, but replacing them every time that they are cut off is more expensive than zip ties). Key locks, including TSA locks without the indicator, should be assumed to not provide any sort of detection, since thieves likely have all of the possible keys to them.

What really should be done is to have passengers drop off tagged baggage to a screening area, where the passengers can watch the screening and provide the key or combination to any locks on the baggage if necessary. After screening, any locks can be relocked and the bag sent down the chute.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.