Disgusting Things You've Seen Inflight

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Disgusting Things You've Seen Inflight

Search this Thread

Old Oct 12, 2014, 5:43 am

Originally Posted by mauld
On a recent flight I had an Asian gentleman industriously pick his nose throughout the flight. He would 'dig in', remove something-- look at it closely, then rub it on the armrest.
In some cultures this is probably a sign of respect.
Old Oct 12, 2014, 5:46 am

Programs: SQ TPPS, Hyatt Dia, SPG Gold, Shangri-La(h) Jade
MI B737 flight from HYD to SIN - boarding is usually chaos on this route, the fact that AI manages the ground services with no boarding sequence doesn't help. Was seated in J and a cabin crew member came around to hand out newspapers, hot towels and pre-takeoff drinks during quiet periods in the boarding process. Towards the end of the boarding, this guy walks onto the plane and at first it seemed like he was trying to push his way past the crew member to the rear of the aircraft but it soon turned out that he was repeatedly "bumping" into her in an inappropriate manner, I had called him out on it and he was stunned. The crew member thanked me later on. SilkAir is 100% female crew and they wear a fairly fitted just-short-of-knee-length frock/dress.

Prior to takeoff on an SQ flight to Beijing I once saw a woman take off her shoes when she was handed her hot towel and proceeded to wipe her feet and in between her toes before rubbing said towel on her face.....

During the meal service on an AI flight from BOM to DEL the guy sitting in the middle seat next to me picked up his tray with his left hand after he finished eating, folded his tray table with his right handed and shoved the tray, with leftovers, into the seat pocket.

On a UA SFO-ORD flight I was seated next to a fairly intoxicated young woman (early 20s) who wasn't obnoxious or behaving badly and our conversation was pleasant enough - until she puked into the seat pocket one hour into the flight. Full house.

Last edited by SIA747Megatop; Oct 12, 2014 at 6:01 am Reason: add more disgusting experiences.
Old Oct 19, 2014, 9:38 am

Group of 6 "internationals" heavily smoking vapor pens. Nobody said anything. Not "the worst ever" - but a sign of what is to come.
Old Oct 19, 2014, 11:48 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, Jiffypark Manhattan Gold
Originally Posted by SIA747Megatop
On a UA SFO-ORD flight I was seated next to a fairly intoxicated young woman (early 20s) who wasn't obnoxious or behaving badly and our conversation was pleasant enough - until she puked into the seat pocket one hour into the flight. Full house.
Now, as someone who worked for a ground handling company and someone who has flown semi-frequently but never encountered this, I've always wondered (since I got MANY calls while working in the biz)..."can you get the groomers to clean row 7 D-E-F and C? Someone got ...'sick'".

My immediate thought is......, I swear I've never been on a plane where I KNEW someone vomited first of all. 2nd of all, I've never vomited without knowing it was coming. The bags are there, grab one real quick and go for it, be embarrassed after sure, but take care of business, it happens. But who vomits, then looks left and right and projectiles over 3 other seats and an aisle!??!

I know some babies/little kids or whatever might not be equipped to handle the situation and parents sometimes just take this in stride...but if I'm in seat C in this situation and even a drop of vomit has got on my pants/shirt, it's coming off...I'm sorry. I'm riding the rest of this flight in my boxers because F that I'm not continuing to wear vomit pants.

I can only imagine how much worse it'd be on takeoff...4-5+ hour flight...thank god this has never happened to me. Surely someone here knows what they do though? I know the CC have some stuff to "clean up" temporarily, but then as a ground handler, I wouldn't have got so many of these calls.
Old Oct 19, 2014, 11:59 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, Jiffypark Manhattan Gold
Originally Posted by jlr4travel
The worst part about it was that he was hearing impaired. (He and his wife both spoke in sign language throughout the flight.) I didn't know how to communicate with him (kindly) that I didn't appreciate the view of his crusty feet.
I dunno I can think of at least 1 sign that pretty much gets the message across no?
Old Oct 19, 2014, 2:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Monopole served in place of nice champagne on BA shorthaul
Old Oct 20, 2014, 7:37 am

Originally Posted by drvannostren
I'm riding the rest of this flight in my boxers because F that I'm not continuing to wear vomit pants.
Would love to see (perhaps record) the reaction of certain passengers to this approach.
Old Oct 23, 2014, 6:08 pm

Programs: UA GS, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by bigsilverjet
Group of 6 "internationals" heavily smoking vapor pens. Nobody said anything. Not "the worst ever" - but a sign of what is to come.
What airline was this on? I would think the "vapor" from afar would set off comments to the FA.
Old Oct 23, 2014, 7:09 pm

Programs: QF
Originally Posted by lagunas2k
What airline was this on? I would think the "vapor" from afar would set off comments to the FA.
Agreed. This would warrant the FA/Purser's attention and if they had failed to take action a complaint to the airline or possibly a regulating body.
Old Oct 25, 2014, 9:33 am

Programs: AA 2MM, DL D360
I was the cause of one of the most disgusting flights ever. It was about 16 years ago - on our way home ATL-LAX, my 9 month old baby spiked a fever about an hour into the flight and then puked all over me. Naturally, I had packed all of his and my clothes in the checked luggage, thinking we wouldn't need them. I had no choice but to undress him to just a diaper and had to take off my own top and wear my husband's jacket. The flight attendants were really sympathetic and kind, although they were careful to not get too close. They moved us to the back of the plane (back in the days when flights were rarely full so we had two full rows and empty rows around us) and gave us trash bags for the soiled clothes. Poor baby threw up off and on into an airline blanket for about an hour and fell asleep for the rest of the flight.

Worst flight ever; and this coming from one who's nearing 3M miles flown.
Old Oct 26, 2014, 11:57 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by JeffS
Are you sure it wasn't winter white?
I once saw somebody wearing a regimental tie,the ....... did NOT,and I repeat,did not have a military mustache,so an imposter.Mind you,-this was in FIRST,can you believe it. Made me feel so bad I had to pick up my litle gun and shoot myself,newer felt real joy since that incident,-and it was in FIRST,I mean,well,its incomprehensible what some people do,...in FIRST !!!
Old Oct 27, 2014, 11:19 am

I once saw a guy pair white wine with steak.

Words can't begin to describe my horror.
Old Nov 30, 2014, 8:36 pm
HMO

deleted

Last edited by HMO; Nov 30, 2014 at 8:36 pm Reason: mistaken thread
Old Dec 1, 2014, 9:22 am

Non-stop farting from the seat mate next to you. Nasty.
Old Dec 1, 2014, 9:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by WindowSeat123
Non-stop farting from the seat mate next to you. Nasty.
And you could see it!?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.