applause upon landing?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

applause upon landing?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 18, 2007, 12:26 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, Marriot Lifetime Gold
I haven't seen it in a while but my impression was that it was mostly flights filled with tourists
Old Feb 18, 2007, 1:00 pm
eap

Programs: AS MVP 75K, UA 1MM
I've never seen a US plane applaud... My first experience with the phenomenon was flying LOT Polish Airlines... Every flight (JFK->WAW, WAW-NCE and the reverse) had the entire plain applaud upon landing.
Old Feb 18, 2007, 1:13 pm

Programs: UA, AA
Originally Posted by Rejuvenated
I've heard plenty of them on WN flights.
Oh this is ripe for the picking
Old Feb 18, 2007, 3:36 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond, BA Gold, Bonvoy Ambassador, HH Gold
In my experience, it happens quite often in Eastern Europe and the former Soviet Union.

After having ridden on a Soviet-made aircraft, I often have the urge to applaud as well when we touch down safely.
Old Feb 18, 2007, 6:00 pm

Originally Posted by dcmike
In my experience, it happens quite often in Eastern Europe and the former Soviet Union.
Happened when I was living in Brasil ~1995-2000 on "domestic" and especially the Miami-Rio-Miami trips I made. Interesting. Oh yes, everyone was taking out stored overhead items before gate arrival.
Old Feb 18, 2007, 6:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA-2MM; GalacticXpress-Irridium
Originally Posted by Rejuvenated
I've heard plenty of them on WN flights.
Especially on LAS flights.
Old Feb 18, 2007, 7:09 pm

Programs: DL, AA, UA, AS
Have been on several flights to Hawaii where the pax applauded on arrival. Not sure if the applause was for the flight crew or because everyone was so glad to be in Hawaii!
Old Feb 18, 2007, 7:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kingalien
Especially on LAS flights.
And on BUR-OAK as well.
Old Feb 18, 2007, 7:41 pm

Programs: SPG GL, AA GL
I started to notice it right after 9/11 (understandable). It still happens on routes that are more toursity, like Orlando.
Old Feb 18, 2007, 7:41 pm

Programs: BA Gold, TK*G, EI Elite
Never heard applause yet, but I have on several occasions experienced pretty much the whole plane in laughter after a smart comment from a passenger after a rough landing.

My local airport, Belfast City, has a fairly short runway so if they don't plant the A320 from LHR on the mark, which happens a lot with the winds, it's the full monty, engines, brakes (and parachutes if they had them). Those not in the know look like crash test dummies.

One of my favourites was a few weeks ago when a guy at the back shouted out.

"Did anybody see where my eyeballs went" ?
Old Feb 18, 2007, 7:46 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Plat, NW Plat
I've heard this more than once on flights from DTW to LAS. Maybe it's the type of crowd, maybe some alcohol influence. Also have heard it, as previous folks have mentioned, on particularly rough or abnormal flights.
Old Feb 18, 2007, 8:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, Delta Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AMEX Platinum (US)
It is strange phenomenon...almost as odd as clapping at the end of a movie. Something I've never understood either. Do those involved with the film have a special sense of hearing? Do we throw rotten fruit if it is a duffer?

In December I flew EDI-LGW with my wife, the flight had been delayed for a couple of hours and the weather coming out of EDI was rough enough that no hot drinks were to be served inflight because of the turbulence. As we descended on our way into LGW things just got worse. The wings would dip down and the cabin move around and the engine noise was extremely erratic, it was certainly a bit of a rollercoaster and I thought we'd end up doing a go round and try again but no, the M23 came into view and we touched down. The worst part of it was that my wife (along with a handful of others) started clapping. I was hideously embarassed by it:
1) Because she isn't Russian
2) She is something of an experienced flyer
3) She has been in a couple of scary emergency landings in the past

I told her I thought it funny/embarassing/naff and got the silent and mad treatment for a couple of hours! Oopsie.
Old Feb 18, 2007, 9:27 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond, Miles & Smiles *G, PC Amb
Originally Posted by sheila-toulouse
My french colleagues like to question me on all things 'american' that they find curious. Recently they asked my why Americans applaud when the plane lands. A few of them had witnessed this and were confused. I've seen it a few times, but not necessarily after an especially impressive landing. So, can anyone answer this? Does it happen only in certain regions (they saw it in the midwest on regional carriers (nw airlink). Does it happen in other countries? And WHY do people do it?

Thanks!

Sheila
Actually i've never experienced applause on US airlines. Very common during my Alitalia days, sometimes on the old Swissair and just very recently on PR.
Old Feb 18, 2007, 9:40 pm

Originally Posted by Travlynn
Have been on several flights to Hawaii where the pax applauded on arrival. Not sure if the applause was for the flight crew or because everyone was so glad to be in Hawaii!

Same here. Several times on Delta's non-stop direct ATL-HNL. Once I think the Captain was very interactive with pax and it was much appreciated. Mostly I think it's that people are thrilled to be in Hawaii, and after 9 or so hours, even more thrilled to be out of coach. Seems flight attendants were also into the Hawaii thing with leis or hibiscus flowers in their hair. And it was pretty festive/retro on flights that served maitais, though that may have been United. Most fun I recall was out of DFW--everyone had a good time, as the beverage service seemed non-stop also. Wow that was more years back than I care to remember. Somebody should bring back the maitais with fresh pineapple and (forgive me for this) maraschino cherries.
Old Feb 18, 2007, 9:49 pm

Programs: Former DL PM, AS MVP
I've always experienced this once and it was on a NW airlink flight. MSN-DCA. The nose gear wouldn't lock so we diverted to IAD because of the better emergency facilities. After the full "brace for impact" landing (the landing itself was pretty much ok), the whole plane clapped.

That's about the only way you'll see me at IAD

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.