Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Can a gate agent upgrade someone because they like you or you tip them?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Can a gate agent upgrade someone because they like you or you tip them?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 12, 2008, 7:39 pm
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
As the subject of this is not limited to United, I'll move this to our TravelBuzz forum, to be merged with a key thread on the subject. Ocn Vw 1K, Moderator, United and TBuzz forums.
Old Dec 12, 2008, 9:34 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA-1K, Marriott-Gold, SPG-Gold, IC RA/Plat, Amtrak Select
Anything is possible as an Agent can upgrade whomever they want at anytime.

If you get into a good conversation with an agent and feel comfortable, ask them, the worst they could say is no.
Old Dec 15, 2008, 11:42 pm

I got "upgraded" to Business Class on SQ on a flight from Singapore to Johannesburg a few years ago.

We were already cruising when the FA asked me if I wanted to sit in Business Class. Of course I said yes and she brought me to my seat. I have no idea why she asked me (of the hundreds of other passengers) to move.
Old Dec 16, 2008, 1:32 pm

Okay so here is my situation. I'm flying transatlantic on American Airlines with hubby tomorrow. He is going business class because work are paying as he is going for a meeting, but as I'm just tagging along I'm going economy. As of this evening there are 13 seats empty in business class. What are my chances of an upgrade so that I can join hubby and when/how is the best way to ask?
Old Dec 16, 2008, 3:15 pm

Programs: A3/Gold, BA/Gold + other less precious metals
Originally Posted by WillowFae
Okay so here is my situation. I'm flying transatlantic on American Airlines with hubby tomorrow. He is going business class because work are paying as he is going for a meeting, but as I'm just tagging along I'm going economy. As of this evening there are 13 seats empty in business class. What are my chances of an upgrade so that I can join hubby and when/how is the best way to ask?
Welcome to FT. I would say you have very little chances of being upgraded, unless Economy is overbooked and they need to upgrade people anyway.

BTW, I am sure this question has been asked and discussed many many times before. Stick around, have a look around the AA forum, use the search function and you can learn a lot
Old Dec 16, 2008, 5:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Marriott or Hilton hot tub with a big drink <glub> Beverage: To-Go Bag™ DYKWIA: SSSS /rolleyes ☈ Date Night: Costco
Programs: Sea Shell Lounge Platinum, TSA Pre✓ Refusnik Diamond, PWP Gold, FT subset of the subset
Originally Posted by johnnybgood3
<SNIP> Has anyone ever had any experience bribing a GA or check in agent for an op up?

I didn't think small time bribes had any place in a relatively rich country like the US. Then I heard about tipping $20 to get an upgrade at a hotel and it worked for me the first time I tried it!
I think it’s been established here that trying to tip airline employees is a Bad Idea™.
Old Dec 16, 2008, 5:15 pm

Originally Posted by nomad1974
Welcome to FT. I would say you have very little chances of being upgraded, unless Economy is overbooked and they need to upgrade people anyway.

BTW, I am sure this question has been asked and discussed many many times before. Stick around, have a look around the AA forum, use the search function and you can learn a lot
Thanks for your response.

I did use the search function which was how this thread came up.
Old Dec 16, 2008, 5:37 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
The best way to ask is, "Honey, I love you because you are such a warm and giving individual. Would you mind switching seats with me for this flight?"
Old Dec 17, 2008, 3:53 am

Programs: A3/Gold, BA/Gold + other less precious metals
Originally Posted by Diplomatico
The best way to ask is, "Honey, I love you because you are such a warm and giving individual. Would you mind switching seats with me for this flight?"
^ You can offer to sit in Economy on the flight back (which is less painful, since it would be a day flight)
Old Dec 17, 2008, 9:06 pm

Programs: AA Gold (1 million+)
Upgrade

As has been mentioned, as an FT from Ontario, CA to IAD, I was greeted by name and often upgraded by American. Of course, this was a few years back. When you have those appreciation chits, use them for the gate agents that do nice things for you and they will respond accordingly.

Gate agents have lots of power if you treat them properly.
Old Dec 17, 2008, 9:29 pm

Programs: WN,DL,BA
I had a friend who worked for UA one time. He told me one time that if anybody ever offered him $$$$ he would upgrade them no problem.
Old Dec 17, 2008, 10:45 pm

Programs: AA, Hilton Gold VIP
Coming back from London on BA in March I was upgraded from WT to WT+ just by asking nicely. It's not a huge upgrade, but WT was full and I had a row of 4 to myself in WT+, so I was pretty damn happy.
Old Dec 22, 2008, 11:00 pm

Programs: AA PLT
Does anyone know what types of "notes" are in the system regarding a pax? Over the past month i've made one complaint to AA, and one recognition to an AA FA via the customer service web site.. This month I've been 100% on upgrades.. Also, seems the GA's and TA's have been nicer to me..
Old Dec 23, 2008, 4:23 am
Former user name: laundrian

Programs: Moderator: Traveling with Jewelry, UA GS, Starwood
When I was 15-16 years old, I got moved from E- to E+ all the time for free. I was just being talkative and make friends with the GA and TA. Being nice and make sweet comments really helped.

I got upgraded from Y to F by GAs and FAs because one of the FAs knew my ex husband who worked for UA at that time. Another time, I gave all the FAs and GAs chocolate on my flight and was "asked" to move to F.

The point is, being friendly and sweet to people in the service industry will get you far. MAKE THEM FEEL SPECIAL.
Old Dec 23, 2008, 10:00 am

Programs: QF, VA, VN, BA, SQ, KC - all reds and blues.
So what happened? If I had been in your husband's position, I would have gone with you to the check in and asked whether we could both sit together in Y. I'm sure the answer would have been affirmative and we would have been able to sit together. And once in a while, the check in agent might have offered to seat us together in J, but IMO travelling separately in different classes is no way to start a good holiday.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.