Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Can a gate agent upgrade someone because they like you or you tip them?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Can a gate agent upgrade someone because they like you or you tip them?

Search this Thread

Old May 26, 2008, 1:02 pm

Programs: nobody
When $100 only get you from Y- to Y+ on a TATL flight, I'll bet you need a bit more than $20 to move up to next COS, if it works at all. I just don't see there are any incentives for GAs to do this at all, especially if you don't have any status with the airlines.

p.s. I should say I am based on UA expierience.
Old May 26, 2008, 2:18 pm

Programs: Aeroplan Former E
Upgrades are pretty carefully monitored by airlines. A GA might be able to get away with it a few times (under the rubic of "getting the flight out on time" or something similar) but couldn't do it very often without getting nailed. The $20 tip works in Vegas because it is Vegas where everything runs on tips - the trick doesn't work that well outside Vegas or possibly a similar place.
Old May 26, 2008, 2:20 pm

Programs: UA 1K Million Miler, Marriott Ambassador (lifetime Platinum), Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by Jalinth
Upgrades are pretty carefully monitored by airlines. A GA might be able to get away with it a few times (under the rubic of "getting the flight out on time" or something similar) but couldn't do it very often without getting nailed. The $20 tip works in Vegas because it is Vegas where everything runs on tips - the trick doesn't work that well outside Vegas or possibly a similar place.
I think Continental has said they actually run a report of the upgrades and if there's a deviation from the standard rules (i.e. a non-status customer), an explanation has to be obtained/approved.

I think this, similar to the check-in agent at a hotel, is nothing more than a bribe.
Old May 26, 2008, 3:16 pm

Programs: Delta GM, *G, BA Blue, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Silver, LHW
Originally Posted by Jalinth

So you're saying the $20 trick will work when flying out of LAS??
Old May 26, 2008, 4:41 pm

According to a friend of mine, this used to work in the 1980's with non-U.S. carriers. The only procedural deviation was that the offer was made on-board the aircraft with the chief purser, going rate at the time was US$100 (trans-atlantic).
Old May 26, 2008, 4:46 pm

Programs: UA1k;HH Gold;MR Gold
Originally Posted by Mr. Roboto
According to a friend of mine, this used to work in the 1980's with non-U.S. carriers. The only procedural deviation was that the offer was made on-board the aircraft with the chief purser, going rate at the time was US$100 (trans-atlantic).
1980 $100
2008 about $500 NOT $20.
Old May 27, 2008, 1:31 am

I used to commute weekly from SJC to LAX on AA when they were still using MD80/738. After a while, the GA's would often put me in the F without issuing me a F BP. They would just talk to the FA & not a single FA refused. I've also been upgraded on BA & UA without any status.

A friend's ex works for a foreign airline as s head mechanic in LAX. He's been able to upgrade his son & ex-wife to F every time they come to the states for a visit.

A friend's BIL is dating a Virgin Airline's FA, but they've gotten upgraded only a handful of times. It seems like the company is quite strict about employee upgrades, so their upgrade chances really depend on how full the flight is.
Old May 27, 2008, 11:12 am

removed

Last edited by blahter; Nov 24, 2015 at 5:30 pm Reason: removed personal info
Old May 27, 2008, 3:52 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1M
En route to my own wedding a few years back I was upgraded on AA with no status. I just mentioned to the GA I was getting married that weekend and she bumped me up with a wink.
Old May 27, 2008, 4:25 pm

Programs: AS
Originally Posted by Psyclone*Jack
En route to my own wedding a few years back I was upgraded on AA with no status. I just mentioned to the GA I was getting married that weekend and she bumped me up with a wink.
As a young kid flying solo I can't count the number of times I got bumped up on SFO --> JFK flights. As an adult I've had a few move around with no particular reason (moved from business from coach coming from greece to italty with some other students) but it's never been something I've asked for. I definitely know people who have been able to push towards an upgrade by being charming and direct but mostly it seems like a combination of luck and friendliness. Having a particular event or reason obviously helps the odds, as does flying a route time after time.
Old May 27, 2008, 4:31 pm

Programs: QF & NW Clubs. Will never buy another ticket on UA or US.
I have gotten op-ups several times on international flights:

Both directions Y-C on a JAL flight NRT-LHR-NRT (back in '99) with no status, clearly an oversell situation. At the time I assumed it was because I was one of the few non-japanese on the flight, and had red hair - which I was told was attractive in Japan at the time.

Another Y-C was UA BOS-LHR in ('01) - I was a 2P at the time so just a normal oversell upgrade. Once on board, an FA asked if I would swap seats (still C) so a couple could sit together. Obviously I was very willing to be helpful. At the end of the flight she came to me with a bottle of Red Wine from 1st class as a thank you - I told her that I was a free upgrade pax and she said that even so, very few pax are pleasant and willing to swap for her.

Most recent was a few months ago flying between Victoria Falls (Zimbabwe) and Johannesburg on South African. When checking in, an Italian couple in front of me were making a big commotion about something, and at one point the husband tried to slip the check-in agent some cash which he refused - all I could assume, since there was only 1 flight a day, was that he was angling for an upgrade. When they finally left, my 2 traveling companions and I went up & handed over our passports and the agent, with a big smile, handed all 3 of us BP's for Row 1 - not sure if it was because I was one of the few people on the flight with a South African passport or not..... Of course, the plane was sold as single class so all we got was a bigger seat but it was so funny - especially since the Italians were in the last row of the plane

So, being as pleasant and patient as possible does, at least sometimes, pay off in an oversell situation at least.
Old Dec 12, 2008, 6:56 pm

Programs: UA, AA
Bribing for an upgrade - possible?

Has anyone ever had any experience bribing a GA or check in agent for an op up?

I didn't think small time bribes had any place in a relatively rich country like the US. Then I heard about tipping $20 to get an upgrade at a hotel and it worked for me the first time I tried it!

Aside from a little embarrassment, are there any possible bigger consequences?

What about pretending to be on a honeymoon with my girlfriend? ^ /
As long as I don't have to get a real ring!
Old Dec 12, 2008, 7:00 pm

Programs: UA GS/1K/MM, VA Gold, DL Gold
Won't work, unless you offer the paid upgrade fee.
Old Dec 12, 2008, 7:03 pm

Programs: United 1K, Qatar Gold, Etihad Gold, Hilton Diamond, InterCon RA, PC Plat, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat
Be more subtle. Offer a copy of US or People as a goodwill gesture. Charm them ...
Old Dec 12, 2008, 7:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Many, many years ago, I learned of a ticket agent for a now-defunct airline who would upgrade a coach ticket to business class for $75 and first class for $100 (back when there was three-class travel). I'm being deliberately vague for a reason. However, it was great -- I'd take a ride down to the airport, find this agent (sometimes I'd have to ask for him), hand him my paper ticket with a bill tucked into the ticket folder, and say, "Hi! Any chance I can get a better seat? I prefer window." He'd go in the back, return a few minutes later with the folder, sans bill, with nice boarding passes for F.

Ah, those were the days!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.