Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Can a gate agent upgrade someone because they like you or you tip them?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Can a gate agent upgrade someone because they like you or you tip them?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 21, 2006, 7:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

GAs have a lot of authority and for good reason: their main job is to get the planes loaded up & out so the company makes $$$.

So yes, they can upgrade whomever they want.

They just better be sure to have a good reason/story if management ever questions them.
Old Oct 21, 2006, 8:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
Originally Posted by TierFlyer
My parents have gutten Lufthwaffe upgrades and they don't even have FF#'s for that airline - my mom has that attractivive grade-school fear-me vibe that all ex-teachers have and my stepfather is an inveterate upgrade grabber.
Is that from Wingman to Top Gun? Does it come with the equivalent of the Kelly McGillis Teutonic Titwillow?
Old Oct 21, 2006, 8:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
Originally Posted by slippahs
But that's why GAs are audited for unusual transaction such as "comp" upgrades to those who don't pay or without status. I'm sure the occasional upgrade is okay, but doing this consistently without cause could get a GA in big trouble.
True. I would guess that most airlines upgrade using automated methods - status upgrades, op ups, non-revvers who have listed for the premium cabin (the service fees and/or taxes (if applicable) are higher). Then and only then would (should) a GA's discretionary powers come into play.

The real problem for a GA would be if he/she is caught circumventing the automated system in order to accomodate someone out of order (someone not otherwise entitled to the UG) - this used to happen a lot at CO's EWR hub during my NR days, until they cracked down on it.
Old Oct 21, 2006, 9:34 am

Yes the gate agents have tremendous latitude. And I absolutely agree that attitude and dress have a lot to do with an upgrade.

I've heard of people who bring a nice lunch to the gate agents as a "bribe". I don't do that, but a couple of years ago I was flying back from ABQ to Boston and went up to the gate agent to see if I could snag an upgrade.

Well, they were just closing out another Boston connector flight that had a coach aisle seat... which they offered to me. I took it because it got me out of ABQ about 1 1/2 hours early, and got me to my destination about 2 1/2 hours early.

Yet if I'd wanted to switch my non-refundable, deeply discounted ticket to the earlier flight, it would not have been permitted.

As it happened, I had a boxed lunch from a great restaurant that I'd brought for my own consumption, which I gave to the gate agent in gratitude. (The lunch was chicken salad made from fresh, white meat chicken, a light cole slaw and salad greens with a creamy garlic vinaigrette, all packed in individual styrofoam containers.)

My sister used to work in reservations for Delta and had an experience like hotturnip's. In those days various customer service reps had the capacity to put a note in the customer record to upgrade the passenger if, in the past, the airline had $crewed the passenger somehow. It was a way of saying, "sorry we did that and we'll make it up to you the next time you fly."

Also, if you knew the "red jackets" in the Delta days of yore, they could enter an order to upgrade. There were a few of those that came along before there were clear rules regarding upgrades.

Rita
Old Oct 21, 2006, 5:01 pm

On BA, there's not as much leeway as there used to be - but check-in and gate staff (they're the same "Customer Service" staff anyway) do have sufficient clout to reverse an already awarded up**ade if someone is rude or behaves inappropriately.

An Irishman (Silver Card status), with whom I am pleased to be acquainted, receives an up**ade on 9 out of 10 BA flights due to his undeniable charm. "Thank you very much indeed for all your efforts to get me a good seat" he Blarneys to the Gate Staff "However, now the flight's all finalised up and all, I wonder if you might be after having a seat a wee bit closer to the front?"

It would have to be a very hard-nosed gate team member or dispatcher not to examine the seat plan closely when asked so nicely!
Old Oct 25, 2006, 1:42 pm

Programs: WN A List Preferred and CP, AA, IHG Spire, Hertz #1 Gold 5*, Hilton Diamond, Enterprise Platinum
Originally Posted by PlatinumScum
Who flies 747s to Lima? Never seen one there.
You'd have to follow the OP's posts historically to figure that out.
It's not worth the effort.
Old Oct 25, 2006, 2:01 pm

Programs: Starwood, AA
Originally Posted by FortyFive
I know someone who this happens to regularly - he has a relative in the industry and gets upgraded fairly frequently (even with no status) when there is room up front.
are they traveling on buddy passes or regular bought tickets? if buddy passes (or any other airline employee passes), then that's normal if space available. if bought tickets, the they are just lucky.
Old Oct 25, 2006, 2:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Wouldn't you like to know?!
I have a friend who is at the supervisor level with an airline (not FA, ground crew at LAX). Even he doesn't have the authority to upgrade people from Y to C/F just because he simply likes someone. They have very strict procedures and rules (i.e. when Y is overbooked) regarding upgrades. If they upgrade someone for any other reason, a detailed report must be filled and submitted (he does have the authority to upgrade, but has to write reports).
Old Oct 25, 2006, 3:48 pm

Programs: DL PM, .6MM; AA Plat; Marriott Platinum Premier
I can think of 3 seperate incidents where I was op-upped by a GA (am sure there have been others, but these are the ones which stick out in my mind)...

1. DL. As a 16 yr old on a day-before purchased ticket from DAY-ATL-GSO, my grandparents dropped me of at the airport about 3 hrs early. Ticket agent says, "are u ready to go immediately". I am; only carryons. Ticketing agent gives me a b seat in like row 35 and says, "RUN". I made it to the gate, confirmed it was the right gate and then the GA asked to see my ticket. 5 seconds later, another bp prints out in row 2. I was so clueless at that point that i walked past F and looked for row 2 in the Y section of the MD88 (then an FA told me where I was to sit). Was not even a DL Skymiles member at that point and had hardly ever flown. First time sitting in F.

2. DL. I had gotten to know the GAs in a couple of the ATL gates where I would routinely go to stand-by on ATL-IAH flights b/c of multi-hour delays on my ATL-HOU flights. The third week of this happening (I would routinely clear standby and then clear F at the very last minute), the GA just did an override and put me directly in F (bypassing a 10 deep upgrade queue for 1 of 3 remaining F seats). The nice thing was that it somehow re-coded my fare class so that I got 150% MQMs for the segment.

3. UA. Having hardly ever flown UA, I obviously have no status with them. A big 4 consulting firm had flown me from DFW to EWR to interview in NYC, and on the flights out had me going EWR-ORD-IAH on UA. The ORD-IAH segment was delayed by a couple hrs, and people from a later (also delayed) flight on same route were trying to go on our flight. I am surprised to hear my name called on the PA system and asked to report to the gate. I go up there, they check my olci-printed BP, and then say "thanks". I say, "oh, when I heard my name called, I thought you might be swapping my seat with one of those in the front 2 rows". The GA types something, then says, "here, let me see your BP again". Seat 2B prints out. F in an RJ was kind of cool.
Old Oct 25, 2006, 4:00 pm

Programs: Delta PM,UA 1P,
T amnswer the OP's question Yes!

Or at least they used to, my sister in law was a Gate agent for UA for years
(now retired) every time I went thru her airport (SFO) I was upgraded for some reason. Because we had the same last name (my brother's wife) I was sometimes asked by other agents "are you xxx's brother?" I would respond "yes" and some how I would end up being upgraded.
Old Oct 25, 2006, 5:33 pm

Originally Posted by nd_eric_77
I can think of 3 seperate incidents where I was op-upped by a GA (am sure there have been others, but these are the ones which stick out in my mind)...

1. DL. As a 16 yr old on a day-before purchased ticket from DAY-ATL-GSO, my grandparents dropped me of at the airport about 3 hrs early. Ticket agent says, "are u ready to go immediately". I am; only carryons. Ticketing agent gives me a b seat in like row 35 and says, "RUN". I made it to the gate, confirmed it was the right gate and then the GA asked to see my ticket. 5 seconds later, another bp prints out in row 2. I was so clueless at that point that i walked past F and looked for row 2 in the Y section of the MD88 (then an FA told me where I was to sit). Was not even a DL Skymiles member at that point and had hardly ever flown. First time sitting in F.

2. DL. I had gotten to know the GAs in a couple of the ATL gates where I would routinely go to stand-by on ATL-IAH flights b/c of multi-hour delays on my ATL-HOU flights. The third week of this happening (I would routinely clear standby and then clear F at the very last minute), the GA just did an override and put me directly in F (bypassing a 10 deep upgrade queue for 1 of 3 remaining F seats). The nice thing was that it somehow re-coded my fare class so that I got 150% MQMs for the segment.

3. UA. Having hardly ever flown UA, I obviously have no status with them. A big 4 consulting firm had flown me from DFW to EWR to interview in NYC, and on the flights out had me going EWR-ORD-IAH on UA. The ORD-IAH segment was delayed by a couple hrs, and people from a later (also delayed) flight on same route were trying to go on our flight. I am surprised to hear my name called on the PA system and asked to report to the gate. I go up there, they check my olci-printed BP, and then say "thanks". I say, "oh, when I heard my name called, I thought you might be swapping my seat with one of those in the front 2 rows". The GA types something, then says, "here, let me see your BP again". Seat 2B prints out. F in an RJ was kind of cool.
Thanks for sharing your experiences. Oh yes, and in my view, F class in anything is cool.
Old Oct 25, 2006, 9:24 pm

Programs: AA Advantage (Platinum)
Originally Posted by lerasp
are they traveling on buddy passes or regular bought tickets? if buddy passes (or any other airline employee passes), then that's normal if space available. if bought tickets, the they are just lucky.
Regular bought tickets.
Old Oct 25, 2006, 11:26 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

When I commuted to Maui on AA, it was SOP for a GA to upgrade me on AA. This was 1983-1993. (only on the outbound LAX/OGG, not on the return). The GA (who also worked in the Admiral's Club) became friendly with me and my family. I know the upgrades occurred because she liked us. Yes, I did often buy FC fares. When I did not, she was very accommodating.
Old Nov 30, 2006, 3:55 am

would a tip be appropriate to the ga if they are nice enough to upgrade you. i was thinking something along the lines of the $20 upgrade trick used at hotels.
Old Nov 30, 2006, 4:13 am

Years ago in the days when TWA & Pan Am were kings, I was living in Europe. Along with members of my family, I would make several trips annually to the US. As long as I notified friendly reservation agents several days in advance, an upgrade was most often made. When my mother was hospitalized in NYC, I had to make an emergency trip. The agent actually apologized to me for not being able to make an upgrade. Usually it was to Business class, but on occasions, even First. At Christmastime I made it a practice to send a Collins Street fruitcake to the agents. They said they loved getting the cakes and loved the tins they were packed in.

Last edited by Romadoc; Nov 30, 2006 at 4:23 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.