Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Can a gate agent upgrade someone because they like you or you tip them?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Can a gate agent upgrade someone because they like you or you tip them?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 30, 2006, 7:17 am

Programs: EVA (diamond), A3, BMI, VN
Originally Posted by bullrush
would a tip be appropriate to the ga if they are nice enough to upgrade you. i was thinking something along the lines of the $20 upgrade trick used at hotels.
Think it would be most inappropriate - looks like a bribe.

Not all countries have this love affair with tipping.
Old Nov 30, 2006, 8:20 am

It is very easy at airlines such as TACA.

Just ask nicely and be dressed smartly.

A lot of times the cabin is empty and they know they will have to throw the food away.

Also, It is a lot easier with GA than ticket agents.
Old Nov 30, 2006, 10:06 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
Originally Posted by PlatinumScum
Who flies 747s to Lima? Never seen one there.
KL used to, I think, before recently switching to all M11. I suspect IB used to, too, before the 346s.
Old Nov 30, 2006, 10:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, BA Silver, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by jimbo99
Think it would be most inappropriate - looks like a bribe.

Not all countries have this love affair with tipping.
I thought exactly the same thing, but why is it different doing this for a hotel vs an airline?

In both instances, the agent is essentially denying the employer revenue or encouraging people NOT to book the more expensive room or seat in the first place and then benefitting directly themselves.

The only difference perhaps (from what i've read on FT) may be that the audits carried out on hotel desk staff for doing this aren't at the same level as those in the airline industry...
Old Nov 30, 2006, 11:25 pm

Programs: EVA (diamond), A3, BMI, VN
Originally Posted by Swiss Tony
I thought exactly the same thing, but why is it different doing this for a hotel vs an airline?

In both instances, the agent is essentially denying the employer revenue or encouraging people NOT to book the more expensive room or seat in the first place and then benefitting directly themselves.
I pretty much agree... I don't think there is much difference.

Many say that tipping is expected in the US hotel industry and is nothing more than part of the workers remuneration - ie to make up what is otherwise part of a low wage. Its not to get anything more. If you don't tip, you're a scrooge.

But then you'll always find posters who will tell you with great glee how they secured an "extra" by "generously tipping" someone.

As you move away from North America, the whole tipping thing seems less prevalent in the service sector. Its practically unknown here in Taiwan. Offering cash to GA could cause them serious problems if they were to get caught accepting.
Old May 26, 2008, 7:52 am

Programs: DL FO, AA PLT, BD *G
$20 trick on airlines

The thought popped up in my head the other day... we all know the $20 trick for hotels (most commonly in Vegas)--you think it'd work at the airport for an upgrade on your flight?
Old May 26, 2008, 7:54 am

Programs: Lifetime AA Gold-1MM
Not when upgrades go to elite flyers and/or those willing to pay the *airline* (not the airline employee) for the upgrade. Not a chance.
Old May 26, 2008, 8:05 am

Programs: DL FO, AA PLT, BD *G
Originally Posted by BLI-Flyer
Not when upgrades go to elite flyers and/or those willing to pay the *airline* (not the airline employee) for the upgrade. Not a chance.
True, but gate agents (and I'd imagine check-in agents as well) have the ability to op-up...
Old May 26, 2008, 9:49 am
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
We've had other threads on tipping of airline employees and the bottom line is that employees in the U.S. are prohibited from accepting tips and can be discharged for doing it. As noted, some airlines will offer upgrades unlikely to be used at the last minute or at check-in in return for a standard level of payment to the airline. These funds collected have to be accounted for to the airline as well.
Old May 26, 2008, 9:57 am

Programs: LH
Question $20 trick

Originally Posted by BDA shorts
we all know the $20 trick for hotels
Please, could you tell me what you are talking about? What trick?
Old May 26, 2008, 10:08 am

Trick referred to is slipping a hotel desk clerk a $20 in hope of getting a better room.
Old May 26, 2008, 10:20 am

Programs: A3/Gold, BA/Gold + other less precious metals
To the OP:

Why don't you try it on a few occassions and report back on the success rate?!
Old May 26, 2008, 11:34 am

Programs: UA Plat, TK Gold, *G
Originally Posted by nomad1974
To the OP:

Why don't you try it on a few occassions and report back on the success rate?!

I think if it was that easy to upgrade a 10 hour flight, we would all be very interested!
Old May 26, 2008, 11:42 am

Originally Posted by BDA shorts
The thought popped up in my head the other day... we all know the $20 trick for hotels (most commonly in Vegas)--you think it'd work at the airport for an upgrade on your flight?
In most cases it will not work, and an especially officious airline employee might report this attempt to security and result in your being denied boarding or worse.
Old May 26, 2008, 12:42 pm

Not too many employees are willing to risk their job for $20.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.